SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

So far i am not liking stable as much as i liked experimental. I was so happy when i saw it come out because i thought "now i can join an empty server and test all the new features of 0.60 properly". Nah. What was i thinking. The server browser is, in my opinion, 0.60 downfall. It is not reporting the correct amount of players in a server (i went to join an empty server and there was upwards of 50 people in it and same with a sever with 40 people when in reality it had less than 10). The browser also causes intense frame drop when loading servers, so much so that i crashed when playing just after it was released to stable. Some servers are just un-joinable. They are the same version as my game however i just get hung loading into the server, i've waited half an hour and still, no connection. This update is very hit and miss in terms with the content that was added in experimental breaking in stable. 

Now, i know i am ranting, but i would appreciate a proper legible changelog for 0.60. This comes across as ungrateful, i know, but i read through the raw text changelog and there were entries that literally did not make sense (to quote one: "???"), there were entries that said wolves had been added but i have not come across any (maybe someone else has), there was entries that said about the new radio transceivers, battery chargers and other devices that haven't been added in yet (not to mention entries that gave details on the M249). I really like this open style from the DayZ devs. I am fascinated by their creative process in this game however i would like clear and legible details on EXACTLY what has been added this update as the raw text changelog has entries dating back to at least 0.50! I wish the devs just spent that extra time fixing the issues RAISED BY EXPERIMENTAL for a good STABLE experience. That's all. I would have been happy to wait just a bit longer if they, now please don't misinterpret me, fixed the issues brought about by experimental (vehicles for instance). 

Rant over. 

In light of all this, i am really very extremely pleased by this update. And i know people keep gushing over the new renderer but it is really good and it is really important to the community to see that the devs are actually listening to them (albeit not that much!) but yeah, thanks devs :)

Anyone seen any quivers yet? It is the one item I have not come across at all. Arrows neither, come to think of it. The biggest surprise came today in the form of three zombies chasing me. I locked myself in with them and thought: easy pickings. But earlier one had hit me and apparently ruined my MP5. It came as a kind of shock when I tried shooting the infected and the gun just clicked. I tried chambering, but it spat the bullets right into my inventory and they were all ruined. Luckily I found an MP5 with an ACOG scope in the next police building; first MP5 I saw spawning with a scope. Nice!

Another thing I don't get is why my RV-optics aren't working. I have a pristine scope with a pristine battery in it, but nothing happens when I switch it on. I'm not sure what's the problem. I licked the battery and it is full. I have too many guns again after just a few days. Now all that is left is to build a camp worthy of staying at. And I have just the idea where to build it. I'm looking forward to proper basebuilding. I already picked out a few locations suitable for a great base. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

The RV is a bit hit-and-miss. I finally got mine going but it seemed to take a few different servers to settle down.

And amen to that Cantankery. The server issue is one of the biggest that the game needs to tackle IMO, but it's too big a problem to deal with for a while.

Finally, in terms of overheating, the tac shirt seems absolutely perfect for me...

35 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

Anyone seen any quivers yet?

no quivers but I did see loose bolts

Sucks when you kill the admin and his buddy and he restarts the server so you don't get the loot.

To be fair he wanted to talk to me first but he scared the shit out of me so I magdumped into him lol

Edited by VVarhead

• No health, hunger, hydrated and bleeding status. ( Private Hive Servers )
  • Melee fist someone makes them stuck at unconscious status. ( Private Hive Servers )
  • Epi-pen wont work when shot unconscious, also you never recover from it. You need to respawn. ( Private Hive Servers )
  • Some times you cant jump, but it vanish after awhile. ( Private Hive Servers )
  • Servers crash after restart or crash over and over. ( Private Hive Servers )
  • Change or swap clothing too often makes parts of your character invisible.
  • Spoting players from far distances becomes as white texture figures.
  • Terrain texture renders bad both near and far away, some appears like an object or bush or stump near trees. Some times there appers to be something there but its not.
  • Bad sound on pretty much everything. Either it sounds to close or far away, too loud or nothing at all.
Edited by Friendly ffs

Why am I finding it so difficult to report a bug????

Any item placed in the vicinity window dissapears. Sometimes it will reappear when you relog to the server sometimes it will not.

Overheating bug is a pain in the ass. Spend half the time in server trying to stay soaked or drenched.

Tents rotate themselves to whatever orientation they want with every reset. Put them down a certain way and they go ahead and rotate whatever way at server restart.

Loot is all over the map- no idea what's up. Certainly no shortage of clothes but I've found more M4s than I have water bottles. Fucking stupid. 

No matter what colour gear you wear you're a black dot running around at a distance. Stupid. New renderer? Who gives a fuck if you are just a black dot? 

I punch a board on a fence and it makes a gun ricochet noise. Stupid. 

Random items disappear from your inventory- random fixes seem to prevail. Stupid.

Log in auto punching. Need to mash many keys to get it to stop. So fucking stupid. 

Lightning bolts in the clear sky under the sun...  no thunder. Stupid.

Thunder with no lightning. Stupid.

Sound with no rain.

Really uninspiring so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eno said:

...Loot is all over the map- no idea what's up. Certainly no shortage of clothes but I've found more M4s than I have water bottles. Fucking stupid...

Lucky you, I haven't seen one M4.

Played for a few hours today and found a herd of cows, probably 6-8 cows. Decided to leave the cows alone since I didn't need anything from them. Ran quite a distance away form the cows and stopped by a lake to drink and cool off. A few minutes pass and I notice that the herd of cows I saw earlier are slowly walking in my direction. I watch them and notice that they're slowly making their way towards me keeping a steady heading. Eventually they get to the lake and walk right through it until they finally 'sensed' me sitting there then spooked and ran away.

Made me wonder how far they would've keep walking if I wasn't there to spook them. I ran a pretty good distance away from where I first saw them so I'm surprised I ran into them again, or rather they ran into me.

3 hours ago, PythagorasHP said:

Lucky you, I haven't seen one M4.

Made me wonder how far they would've keep walking if I wasn't there to spook them. I ran a pretty good distance away from where I first saw them so I'm surprised I ran into them again, or rather they ran into me.

Oh rly? You haven't seen a single heli crash then? This is what I look like when I log off:

Spoiler

20160620000443_1_zpsz7uf9g8h.jpg

The problem is I barely have enough ammo for one of them. Ammo is a problem ow, not finding guns. But it is really just a matter of patience. I used a 9mm (MP5/Glock), until I had enough parts and ammo to make the M4 of my choice. That comment is actually true though. I only found 3 Waterbottles but 4 M4s in the time I played. It's a bit overkill. Every YT video I watch people have M4s. It's not like it is a cheap rifle everyone can own.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

double post - yay!

But actually this is about testing the RV-scope. I found another fresh battery and tested its on/off functionality. If I put the RV on a rifle it doesn't work at all. I can turn it on or off, but nothing happens. If I hold it in my hand however, I see a red dot, even when it is not switched on! Curiously, the red dot disappears when I look at a tent. It also doesn't matter, if I turn the thing on or off - the dot is there anyway. But as soon as I clip it onto any weapon it's gone again. 

These battery powered scopes are a bit of a pain in the ass. I'd prefer a Holo sight that just runs out of battery after a while. The same with all battery-driven things. They should all have a battery inside and a certain durability. Once the battery is depleted the item flickers and dies. Seriously - who lives long enough to replace batteries on their scopes anyway. This is just a thing that is too detailed. It's like making us tie our boots before we can wear them. Batteries should be in the devices and the devices should live as long as their battery. Even realistically - unless it is one-hundred years after the zombie-apocalypse, would you really go searching for batteries for your old flashlight, or would you just grab one of the other flashlights some now dead person left lying around. There is no real sparcity of such items.

Plus add to that the maintenance building/workshop and its planned functionality. It could well serve not only to refurnish your other weapon attachments, but also to reload the battery of any powered scope. Finding batteries and putting them into devices that aren't working properly on the other hand, is something we don't need in Dayz.

Edited by S3V3N

58 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

But actually this is about testing the RV-scope. I found another fresh battery and tested its on/off functionality. If I put the RV on a rifle it doesn't work at all. I can turn it on or off, but nothing happens. If I hold it in my hand however, I see a red dot, even when it is not switched on! Curiously, the red dot disappears when I look at a tent. It also doesn't matter, if I turn the thing on or off - the dot is there anyway. But as soon as I clip it onto any weapon it's gone again. 

There is something odd about the RV1 in that, even though both of mine (both on M4s) seem to work most of the time, when I point them at something very close, or a specific kind of surface elsewhere, the dot disappears. I wonder if this is an attempt at realism, but more likely to be a glitch...

• Like 2

boys 2 questions . 1 ) there is a way to put the automatic transmission in the car or you have to press to q and E for the gear?

2)I noticed that in your car when you go into town you get up to 10 or 6 fps it is impossible to drive . the new rendering is gorgeous when you're on foot but by car is good for nothing but ... does anyone know if there are working on ?

5 minutes ago, mattew1 said:

boys 2 questions . 1 ) there is a way to put the automatic transmission in the car or you have to press to q and E for the gear?

2)I noticed that in your car when you go into town you get up to 10 or 6 fps it is impossible to drive . the new rendering is gorgeous when you're on foot but by car is good for nothing but ... does anyone know if there are working on ?

No automagic transmissions in soviet russia.

• Like 1

I've been playing on the stable branch since the new update, yeah the bugs I have found seem to be, server restarts, misleading server player counts and momentary freezing, which from what I can see might be server side issues.  On the plus side my FPS has gone up dramatically and is a lot more playable.

I have found plenty of M4's and AUG's including mines and crash sites I would say 6 so far which is a bonus!  In all going in the right direction keep up the good work.

YOU'RE HPERTHERMIC!

1 hour ago, fowang said:

YOU'RE HPERTHERMIC!

Spawned back into a server a few minutes ago and it was raining. Said I was rapidly cooling off. About 5 minutes later, I checked my status and I am red "Hyperthermic"... I would have expected it to be "hypOthermic" since I was cooling off, and was not hot prior. 

Right now, I'm wondering if the status is correct and I should be glad I am completely drenched right now and cooling off, or if it is misreporting and I am actually cold, and need to try to make a fire or something.

What's the word on the temp status bug?

21 minutes ago, Rammit (DayZ) said:

Right now, I'm wondering if the status is correct and I should be glad I am completely drenched right now and cooling off, or if it is misreporting and I am actually cold, and need to try to make a fire or something.

You will know if you start shaking ;) It's either drink a lot or make a fire. Resting by a fire can't harm you anyway. Just don't sit right in it or your face will melt off.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Just now, S3V3N said:

You will know if you start shaking ;) It's either drink a lot or make a fire. Resting by a fire can't harm you anyway. Just don't sit right in it or your face will melt off.

I do have 20L of water in a gas can sitting next to me at the moment :) Will have to see if I'm shaking or not later today when I get a chance to get back on... Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Rammit (DayZ) said:

I do have 20L of water in a gas can sitting next to me at the moment :) Will have to see if I'm shaking or not later today when I get a chance to get back on... Thanks.

I tried putting water in a gas can and purifying it.  it poisoned me.  that was several patches ago though.

1 hour ago, Red_Ensign said:

I tried putting water in a gas can and purifying it.  it poisoned me.  that was several patches ago though.

Strange that. I've been using jerry cans at our camps in 0.59. I always got water from the lake and right away drank it or watered the crops. I did get sick doing this in patches before, but I think this issue is resolved. To be quite sure, you could empty the jerry can once and refill it, but I think even emptying the gasoline and just filling it with water works now. Pretty useful if your tent is way off. I also notice there is always either fuel or water in the barrels, but I don't think there is a way to scoop that out again, yet; I wonder if some day we can find a hose to pump it out. Would also be nice to steal petrol from wrecks or other player' cars ;)

Edited by S3V3N

.60 on exp. you get poisened from gastanks filled with water.

you could empty the gas and refill with water, rinse and repeat but you get allways poisened...learnd it the hard way in three tries :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wasnu said:

.60 on exp. you get poisened from gastanks filled with water.

you could empty the gas and refill with water, rinse and repeat but you get allways poisened...learnd it the hard way in three tries :)

Thanks for the info - you see this is one of those odd things I want to complain about. We were told that 0.60 needed so long, in order to make a smooth transition from the old modules/database. However, you cannot call it a smooth transition if bugs reappear that were rooted out in 0.59. How can that happen, unless they used an older database? The return of the old bugs is pretty annoying at this point. I just really hope they can fix this quicker now - they know how to, because they already fixed all these bugs once before. Huge waste of time this. There is a saying here that translates: You can either do it properly or you can do it twice.

i think its an old problem dayz devs had, and looks like now have again.

there was NO documentation what was done and what was changed in the code at the beginning of standalone (one of the devteam explained that fail on E3 or so, don´t know which one it was)

So, someone fixed an bug, everything fine after that, but no one knows what he did.

so, next update arrived and the old bug is back again and no one knows who fixed it before or knows how it was fixed...

its not like profis do it, but who cares, in the end it has to work :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wasnu said:

there was NO documentation what was done and what was changed in the code at the beginning of standalone (one of the devteam explained that fail on E3 or so, don´t know which one it was)

Bohemia has no money for E3 ;) They sent their Hicks to PAX. I sent my Hicks to get beer or buy pizza. I have no real use for my Hicks anymore. But I don't want to give it up for a better version and I'm not going back to a Dean.01 either. 

• Like 1

Today I learned that Amphibia is great for killing zeds. They don't hear shots. And one head shot kills them.

• Like 2