SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

BioHazard dude, you are right. After two and half years and more than thousand hours in game (and at least one third of that in experimental), you have all the right to criticise, moan, rant and what else. I think there was a lot of time and money at disposal for devs to do more with dayz. 

• Like 1

Does it seem like bullet damage has been nerfed?  Some one just shot me.  From a long way off.  Just heard a whiff and thud.  Guessing Winchester, Blaze, SVD, Maybe a Mosin.  Ruined my vest, jacket, backpack and EVERYTHING in them.  But didn't make me bleed or go grey.

ETA:  Odd, didn't quote anything.  Not even sure what the above empty quote is.  And can't figure out how to delete it.

Edited by Thurman Merman

1 hour ago, igor-vk said:

BioHazard dude, you are right. After two and half years and more than thousand hours in game (and at least one third of that in experimental), you have all the right to criticise, moan, rant and what else. I think there was a lot of time and money at disposal for devs to do more with dayz. 

I guess the time spent would make my criticisms carry more weight but I do not want it to be said that we all don't have an equal say either.

I also do not fully believe that money could solve much of the problems encountered during this project... but I guess we will never know if hiring and training more people would have made much of a difference at any stage of the game.

In hindsight, some decisions on the part of the devs have surely been questionable or worse, but we all know that hindsight is 20/20.

Let me start by giving credit where credit is due. The new renderer is absolutely amazing. I get the same FPS that I got before without any cfg tweaks whatsoever and Object Quality set to Very High instead of set to less than very low. Huge leap forward, well done.

This makes it all the more disappointing that the patch simply isn't very fun to play. Five days after the patch launched on Stable, I looted the NWAF and found a grand total of 5 cans of soda and a single bag of rice. Most houses, even North of the Novaya Petrovka -> Severograd -> Novo highway, have nothing in them. Most feeding shacks are empty and hunting stands have either nothing or some very low quality piece of loot like a rope or something. Many heli crashes have been found with nothing or very little. Tents reorient themselves and are difficult or impossible to pack up once unpacked. I'm not sure if the latest patch fixed the vehicles, but last I checked, they aren't properly persistent and cause massive FPS drops which in turn increases input lag making them very, very difficult to drive for long without wrecking into something. I spend a solid 25% of my playtime managing my heat status. I even switched to a storage-less beige t-shirt. I'm not wearing gloves, a mask, or a helmet. I have a hi-cap on, which the wiki says has no thermal value. 

So I spend my playtime alternating between sitting in ponds and searching mostly empty houses. Truly, well done with the new renderer, I meant it. Excellent piece of new tech. It just feels like the gameplay had to take a backseat due to the focus on the renderer.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Let me start by giving credit where credit is due. The new renderer is absolutely amazing. I get the same FPS that I got before without any cfg tweaks whatsoever and Object Quality set to Very High instead of set to less than very low. Huge leap forward, well done.

This makes it all the more disappointing that the patch simply isn't very fun to play. Five days after the patch launched on Stable, I looted the NWAF and found a grand total of 5 cans of soda and a single bag of rice. Most houses, even North of the Novaya Petrovka -> Severograd -> Novo highway, have nothing in them. Most feeding shacks are empty and hunting stands have either nothing or some very low quality piece of loot like a rope or something. Many heli crashes have been found with nothing or very little. Tents reorient themselves and are difficult or impossible to pack up once unpacked. I'm not sure if the latest patch fixed the vehicles, but last I checked, they aren't properly persistent and cause massive FPS drops which in turn increases input lag making them very, very difficult to drive for long without wrecking into something. I spend a solid 25% of my playtime managing my heat status. I even switched to a storage-less beige t-shirt. I'm not wearing gloves, a mask, or a helmet. I have a hi-cap on, which the wiki says has no thermal value. 

So I spend my playtime alternating between sitting in ponds and searching mostly empty houses. Truly, well done with the new renderer, I meant it. Excellent piece of new tech. It just feels like the gameplay had to take a backseat due to the focus on the renderer.

I dont notice much difference in the actual gameplay in this patch. Up to this point, DayZ has been basically gear up, then meet your friends to pvp or just pvp solo. It is still the same thing, but loot does seem to be more scarce, which is a good thing in my opinion. You actually have to spend some time and effort to get geared up now. I think you are just used to being fully geared and ready to fight in under an hour. There are no features missing in .60 that were in .59 that I am aware of. If you arent having fun with this patch, then I bet you weren't having fun in previous patches either. 

Maybe something's wrong with respawn timers on your server you're in cold .... My servers are definitely a little less loot packed due to the new patch but things reapawn like normal (but then again the server I've bene playing on has had no more than 15 PPl on in the past few days). Hopefully there's no outstanding issues with the CLE .

i tested loot respawn on full servers, empty little town and wait 30 min.

loot respawns correctly, ammo spawned less from day 1 to day 5 (could be that all ammo in player inventory counts)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

I dont notice much difference in the actual gameplay in this patch. Up to this point, DayZ has been basically gear up, then meet your friends to pvp or just pvp solo. It is still the same thing, but loot does seem to be more scarce, which is a good thing in my opinion. You actually have to spend some time and effort to get geared up now. I think you are just used to being fully geared and ready to fight in under an hour. There are no features missing in .60 that were in .59 that I am aware of. If you arent having fun with this patch, then I bet you weren't having fun in previous patches either. 

You have me confused with the PvP crowd. That's understandable. You don't know me. 

My opinions are based on about 30 hours of play on this patch during which time I fought no other living players, just zombies.

I didn't say features were missing. I said that they aren't functioning properly.

10 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

Maybe something's wrong with respawn timers on your server you're in cold .... My servers are definitely a little less loot packed due to the new patch but things reapawn like normal (but then again the server I've bene playing on has had no more than 15 PPl on in the past few days). Hopefully there's no outstanding issues with the CLE .

Maybe. I didn't play Experimental this time around. Couldn't get in and don't have enough free time lately to sit there spamming a button. So I don't know what this patch looked like then. I will try jumping around a bit on servers and see what different ones look like.

• Like 1

Forum bug, double post.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ColdAtrophy said:

L-snip-

I'm not sure if the latest patch fixed the vehicles, but last I checked, they aren't properly persistent and cause massive FPS drops which in turn increases input lag making them very, very difficult to drive for long without wrecking into something.

-snip-

Notice I've hardly played stable?

I've more or less resigned myself to waiting for .61 for most of the reasons you cited.

RE: vehicles, I've heard there was some fixes to this making driving vehicles when near better, but not completely fixed.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I spend a solid 25% of my playtime managing my heat status. I even switched to a storage-less beige t-shirt. I'm not wearing gloves, a mask, or a helmet. I have a hi-cap on, which the wiki says has no thermal value. 

So I spend my playtime alternating between sitting in ponds and searching mostly empty houses.

All of the conflicting reports about overheating make this one a real enigma.

Yesterday I couldn't stop overheating.  Staying hydrated, stripping down, rolling around in ponds, swimming and I was still jogging around with overheating statuses.  I probably spent about 40 minutes just trying to maintain my temperature before logging off.  Today, on the same server I sprinted from Svetlo to Novaya Petrovka - and back again - with just a  few "You are warming up" 's.  I did keep myself soaked as I came across ponds but I wasn't intentionally navigating to them like yesterday. Today I was clothed in M64 jacket, military boots, spring hunting pants, UK Assault Vest, ballistic helm and bandana mask - and gloves too - because why not, I was barely heating up!

I'm not sure what the explanation is but if you play later you might not have the same experience at all, even on the same server. 

I think the devs are either tweaking things real time or server time-of-day has something to do with it, but there's no way of telling.  We know the seasons are working but how much is the temperature difference between summer and winter? and I wonder if midday is hotter than morning or evening or night?  

I'll make my pitch again for an External (weather) Thermometer - oh and a Watch for similar purposes.  I hope they eventually make it into the game.

• Like 5

IMT had a good idea. He suggested having the thermometer show the current ambient air temperature if you inspect it.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

You have me confused with the PvP crowd. That's understandable. You don't know me. 

My opinions are based on about 30 hours of play on this patch during which time I fought no other living players, just zombies.

I didn't say features were missing. I said that they aren't functioning properly.

Maybe. I didn't play Experimental this time around. Couldn't get in and don't have enough free time lately to sit there spamming a button. So I don't know what this patch looked like then. I will try jumping around a bit on servers and see what different ones look like.

I did assume you were a pvper, so my mistake. I still dont quite understand why you say this patch is no fun though...cars are messed up, like they always have been. Loot has been turned down, which makes the game more enjoyable for me at least. The overheating thing is hard to pin down and there is definetly an issue there. The patch is immensely enjoyable and fun to play. Its the same DayZ as before but with better graphics and peformance. If you dont like to pvp, then what do you do after your geared up? What did you do in .59 for fun that you cant in .60? Everyone has an opinion and that is awesome and all, but i dont quite understand where youre coming from when you say .60 isnt fun to play.

1 minute ago, JBURNS489 said:

I did assume you were a pvper, so my mistake. I still dont quite understand why you say this patch is no fun though...cars are messed up, like they always have been. Loot has been turned down, which makes the game more enjoyable for me at least. The overheating thing is hard to pin down and there is definetly an issue there. The patch is immensely enjoyable and fun to play. Its the same DayZ as before but with better graphics and peformance. If you dont like to pvp, then what do you do after your geared up? What did you do in .59 for fun that you cant in .60? Everyone has an opinion and that is awesome and all, but i dont quite understand where youre coming from when you say .60 isnt fun to play.

I build camps and gear up my buddies. I pride myself on being able to find just about anything. I also spent a lot of time in 0.59 using all of the vehicles. Even the V3S which everyone seemed to hate, but I was able to use to great effect. I built several vehicle recovery warehouses up with tires and spare parts. Can't do that stuff or it's much more difficult this time around since the loot spawns are in the toilet, vehicles aren't persistent and they drive like crap, and tents will randomly reorient themselves, potentially closing off access to them. In 0.55, when the loot was scarce, at least there was a persistent threat from zombies in the environment which kept me using up ammo and having to constantly keep my character in good health and pristine gear. I also was forced to change guns to suit what I had ammo for. Now there's little loot and still a scattered and inconsistent infected population, meaning my geared character is not in any danger, nor do I have to replaced damaged gear or use ammo unless I go to the coast, which has even less loot and therefore less of a potential gain for the tenfold increase in risk.

51 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

IMT had a good idea. He suggested having the thermometer show the current ambient air temperature if you inspect it.

Did stable get a wipe because of the hotfix?

I found the first medical thermometer I've seen in forever on stable then jumped back to exp but only got a few hours on the hotfix. I would love to do some testing with that if I still have it.

I've got to go be safety guy so my old dad can cut down some trees this morning, should have some time for a good session this afternoon and evening.

The loot was changed to make the game more survivor-ey and challenging, which needed to be done because it was laughable how easy it was to get gear. You could literally get fully geared with camo, mags, automatic weapons and all the beans you could carry without even having to make a trip to NWAF. Also, zombies have NEVER been a threat. You can literally outrun any and every zombie every single time. Until zombies run faster than you and/or unlimited sprint is adjusted, they will not be a threat. The only time zombies ever cause trouble is when you are trying to be sneaky and they blow your spot up. But since you dont pvp, i dont even understand why you need weapons at all. If all you usually kill is zombies you would be better off with a bow and arrow or an axe since their silent and easy to make/find. 

You actually articulated exactly why I pvp.. There is no danger except from other players. Food water and shelter are everywhere and zombies are weak. The only excitement or fun i have found is pvping and using the gear I've collected. 

Vehicles have also always driven like shit generally. They got stuck in the ground, slid all over grass even with 4 pristine off road tires, and were laggy and desynced as all hell. I admittedly have only driven a bus in .60, but it seemed the same to me as in .59. The persistence issue is also a weird bug ive seen around. It seems to work sometimes and not others. That DOES suck and also needs to be addressed. 

You can still build your camp and horde items, although it will take more effort compared to .59. That also means it will be worth more and mean more once you do though. Just place your tents in a way it wont matter if they rotate or not. 

What sets DayZ apart from other games is the freedom to play the game however you would like. I am not trying to tell you how or anyone else how to play your DayZ, but if this patch made the game not enjoyable for you, then maybe you should change your playstyle or wait until things change again :)

• Like 2

Just now, BCBasher said:

Did stable get a wipe because of the hotfix?

No. My tents were still there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

What sets DayZ apart from other games is the freedom to play the game however you would like. I am not trying to tell you how or anyone else how to play your DayZ, but if this patch made the game not enjoyable for you, then maybe you should change your playstyle or wait until things change again :)

I don't agree with you on everything you said in that post, but there's no reason to delve into it . On this point I quoted, agreed. I was simply giving my feedback. It didn't need to be qualified by others.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

No. My tents were still there.

Splendid, anyone else seen a medical thermometer?

If it's super rare I'll go out of my way to stay alive with it or hand it off to someone or a group if it could get more use, not sure but I think it's on 3pp public.

medical thermometer is rare, yes, but i found 4-5 on exp. and on stable with the lastbuild.

hard to see, those little **** :)

EDIT: dropped all for other loot, cause sever side temp was/is bugged

Edited by wasnu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The majority of players here do not care to see the game develop past CoDayZ and those of us that want a survival game have been cornered into a minority but thankfully I believe the devs are in that corner with us.....

That's why they treat us with ever more gun varieties, work on weapon sway, Audio engine to precisely locate a shot, work on a heli to haver another mobile shooting base, implement shooting from vehicles ... yes. Sounds like a lot of survival stuff to me ... NOT. Loot zones as dicsussed in another thread making everyione go NWAF and phe phew is neither sandbox nor survival. It's a cheap king of the hill with the disadvantage of the map any way to NWAF being too large. I don't see the devs AT ALL in any survival corner.

You and me havent played DayZ 1.0 yet. True. This is the arguments commuinists used for decades. You cannot judge on communism, we still hav not reached communism 1.0. I think this way of trying to avoid any criticism is sketchy, really sketchy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

That's why they treat us with ever more gun varieties, work on weapon sway, Audio engine to precisely locate a shot, work on a heli to haver another mobile shooting base, implement shooting from vehicles ... yes. Sounds like a lot of survival stuff to me ... NOT. Loot zones as dicsussed in another thread making everyione go NWAF and phe phew is neither sandbox nor survival. It's a cheap king of the hill with the disadvantage of the map any way to NWAF being too large. I don't see the devs AT ALL in any survival corner.

You and me havent played DayZ 1.0 yet. True. This is the arguments commuinists used for decades. You cannot judge on communism, we still hav not reached communism 1.0. I think this way of trying to avoid any criticism is sketchy, really sketchy.

I see what you're saying and it's a fine line indeed.

Adding authenticity and flexibility to combat does not make it less survival based, nor does adding guns.

Yes, they do pander to the streamers, they are a real source of revenue and free publicity that keeps the revolving door spinning with $$$.

BUT, the devs will bring many of the game play elements to bare on the game engine when the modules are complete, elements that will also impede PvP to some degree.

Have you tried the new player controller with stamina and weight characteristics???

^How will just this change PvP for the more purist survivor type (which I venture to say is both of us)?

So those bullets will be heard more accurately by people.... and infected too!

It's hard, but we have to try to keep a global view of the project.

I do know that if I do not like Vanilla DayZ SA 1.0, there will most certainly be a mod for me.

I'm so fucking excited to just kill zombies all day, I feel delusional just dreaming that it's a possibility.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 3

Yeah, I didn't mean to say DayZ is bad either, but I do not like the current focus at all. Pretty much everythin since 0.55 was about increasing the efficiency of the PvP machine - vehicles, tents, loot zones, technical updates have been the means to get there.

No the new renderer doesn't cater specifically to KOS or so, so there might be space for other ideas - with some hope I could tell myself these iodeas will follow now, since there was no point in adding entirely new ideas into an old engine. However, dev communication and the way of the updates make me a realist, who thinks that it's probably just about some more ways to quickly go PvP.

Melee, farming, electricity, skill system, medical system, trade systems, there would be LOTS of ideas to turn this game more into a sandbox, I just don't think the devs will go this way.

• Like 2

I was sad when I heard that advanced medical was off the table.

I thought needing pliers to extract bullets was a good idea. :D

I'm trying to be patient man... trying to be patient.

They do have a strong obligation to promote the game as well as develop it and this all leads up to a console release as well.

With any luck, we will be having a very very different discussion (in a good way) on this very subject by the years end.