SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

2 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Tobe honest i think the temp system is definately off.  A change of 3 degrees in your core body temp will kill you.  The thermometer should probably almost never be as low as 35 and never as high as 39 just from weather.  That is unless you are submerged in arctic water or maybe in a hot spring for extended periods.  Being wet in winter would probably do it too.  I think dressing to warm in the summer would sure make you feel hot and sweat untill dehydration or unconciousness but i dont think it woupd give you a fever.

You're absolutely right about the temperatures and I think even using a thermometer to gauge ones level of hyper/hypothermia is likely not the best tool really at all.

I do want to add that I do a lot of high intensity all weather endurance cycling and I've felt the grip of both hyper/hypothermia in pursuit of my passion.

I had a touch of hyperthermia early this summer (and 2 summers ago I had it worse) and took 5 hours to cool down after a long, hot, intense, 3 hour ride in which I drank 2+ gallons; my head was warm to the touch even after a cool shower, eventually I started to get a light headache and took Ibuprofen, and only chewing ice with an ice pack on top of my head finally got my head to cool off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conversely I've been caught with inadequate gear in the winter up in Albany and have been so cold that I started to have tunnel vision and all my energy levels dropped through the floor in an instant.

After a hot shower, layers, blankets, I was still shivering and had slightly impaired  mental function.

Only after a hot cup of tea did I almost instantly perk back up and stop shivering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We need a Thermos in game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kohlbar said:

I do, definitely. I get fps lag whenever zooming in with a hunting scope, I don't know what this is! On previous patches going into scoped mode would boost my fps by the double digits, now it has the exact opposite effect. It seems to be different for other kinds of scopes, too. PSO scopes don't do it as much, and the steyr-aug scope has very little effect. I noticed a small portion on the edge of the screen that isn't black with the hunting scope, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Hunting scope is by far the laggiest scope for me on .60

The PSO-1 and AUG don't zoom as far (4.14 and 1.48x vs 8.29x) and the lag is not as bad if I don't fully zoom with hunting scope. It is strange though. Better performance in scope was one of the reasons I used to prefer sniping to close quarters in the mod.

2 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Anyone know if there is future plans for the fire pit and gardens being persistant?

are you talking .61 or beyond?

10 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

If done carefully u are also able to boil water in a plastic bottle irl or possibly in a pot made from bark. The water keeps the pot from burning or the bottle from melting

That's a little too deep. Yeah it's possible but after a point it's a little silly in game and the metal pot should be stuck with.

• Like 1

Just tried to make a stone-circled fireplace, but dragging a stack of stones onto the fireplace didn't bring up any options :C it's been this way for a while now. Anybody else try this?

Made a fireplace with stones last night.  Are you using stones mined with pickaxe?  I dont think you can use the small stones anymore.  Just mine a pile of 8 stones and drag into fireplace inventory right by the stick and rag/paper/bark.  Not sure about persistance though and ruins your pickaxe pretty fast so i been dismantling and keeping stones

20 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Conversely I've been caught with inadequate gear in the winter up in Albany and have been so cold that I started to have tunnel vision and all my energy levels dropped through the floor in an instant.

After a hot shower, layers, blankets, I was still shivering and had slightly impaired  mental function.

Only after a hot cup of tea did I almost instantly perk back up and stop shivering.

I've gotten hypothermia sailing on the Caribbean on a windy, rainy, summer day!  And you're right abotu the warm fluids - hot shower and sitting in the sun barely helped, but hot tea was a life saver - BI, bring on the tea kettles!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

Just tried to make a stone-circled fireplace, but dragging a stack of stones onto the fireplace didn't bring up any options :C it's been this way for a while now. Anybody else try this?

I did this today and can confirm what FunkInYourTrunk said about using mined stones.

5 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Not sure about persistance though and ruins your pickaxe pretty fast so i been dismantling and keeping stones

The one (with cooking tripod) I made on a private server wasn't persistant.

6 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Made a fireplace with stones last night.  Are you using stones mined with pickaxe?  I dont think you can use the small stones anymore.  Just mine a pile of 8 stones and drag into fireplace inventory right by the stick and rag/paper/bark.  Not sure about persistance though and ruins your pickaxe pretty fast so i been dismantling and keeping stones

Yeah the whole thing will despawn... including the tripod. Like Funk I too disassemble the stones / tripod (whichever i'm using) and store them for future use. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

i think there is or i hope there will be an timer for garden plots and fireplaces.

if they are realy persistant, all servers will be full of garden plots and fireplaces on streets to wreck cars.

it should be like barrels but shorter, 1-2 days nothing planted or fire made = despawn

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wasnu said:

i think there is or i hope there will be an timer for garden plots and fireplaces.

if they are realy persistant, all servers will be full of garden plots and fireplaces on streets to wreck cars.

it should be like barrels but shorter, 1-2 days nothing planted or fire made = despawn

I'd like to see persistence for those items that are set up in areas designed for them- that would help to prevent that. Set up your garden in a designated greenhouse? Build your fireplace in an actual fireplace inside a structure... Permanent.

Barrels could have their normal despawn... and if you just build a fireplace and set it up wherever, next to a garden you just dug up somewhere? No persistence. 

• Like 1

On a server related note, I just got told that all servers restart at the same time... which judging by our server would mean they start at 1230am and pm. Is that true and if so is that something we can expect to change before we get the game files to run our own?

Has anyone else been experimenting with barrel persistence?  I began collecting barrels on the 20th of June and placing them in various locations to observe persistence timers.  It was my understanding that there was an 8 day countdown unless interacted with however my experience has been slightly different.  On the 20th I placed three barrels on different servers and put in 1 apple each.  I’ve checked on them every day but did no other interaction.  After three days one barrel was stolen but the other two have remained.  On the 25th I gathered three more barrels and also hid them on separate servers loaded with one rock each.  Checked every day with no interaction and all three still remain.  Collected three more on the 29th, hid on different servers and loaded with 1 stick each.  I will report on the 8th the status of the last three.  As of this morning my 20th and 25th barrels are still there and all I have done is view them.

As far as I can tell persistence is either longer than what has been reported, a simple view in the vicinity window can be considered an interaction, or the laws of time are warped under the Chernarus pine trees.

Any thoughts?

This remains the most frustrating thing about the dev input... "someone" comes in here and wags his mouth saying "it's like this." Meanwhile, it's not like that. 

The question is- is this person who comes in here spreading all the misinformation even talking to the guys doing the programming to see what the status is in the wild before he says anything? Is he just spouting off wishful thinking? Is he explaining what's happening on internal builds where the functionality actually works and confusing it with what the rest of us are exposed to?

I'm not sure I'm ever going to read an update ever again because doing so doesn't do anything but fuck up not only my expectations but just my general feel for the game.  Not that I could read the last one anyway since it meant less than nothing to people outside of the dev loop. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Judged_Guitly said:

Has anyone else been experimenting with barrel persistence?  I began collecting barrels on the 20th of June and placing them in various locations to observe persistence timers.  It was my understanding that there was an 8 day countdown unless interacted with however my experience has been slightly different.  On the 20th I placed three barrels on different servers and put in 1 apple each.  I’ve checked on them every day but did no other interaction.  After three days one barrel was stolen but the other two have remained.  On the 25th I gathered three more barrels and also hid them on separate servers loaded with one rock each.  Checked every day with no interaction and all three still remain.  Collected three more on the 29th, hid on different servers and loaded with 1 stick each.  I will report on the 8th the status of the last three.  As of this morning my 20th and 25th barrels are still there and all I have done is view them.

As far as I can tell persistence is either longer than what has been reported, a simple view in the vicinity window can be considered an interaction, or the laws of time are warped under the Chernarus pine trees.

Any thoughts?

I too have begun to suspect that persistence for barrels and tents is not 8 days. Two weeks ago I placed a civ tent inside a car tent. On server restart, the civilian tent can no longer be accessed because it reoriented itself so that the mouth of the tent is flush with the wall of the car tent. It's still there. It's been at least 12 days for absolutely sure.

It wouldn't be the first time Hicks was wrong about this. He thought the 8 day timer was in effect during the last patch as well. It wasn't, which we learned the hard way when the 45 day timer wiped out multiple large camps my group had built.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

Yeah, they are wrong sometimes. I never saw them admit it tho. But eh, Dayz is still standing on wobbly pillars.

For now I'd play it safe and interact with them weekly and empty + pick them up monthly.

Spoiler

want .61 so hard

prease?

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Dang, I didn't even know you could mine stones haha! I've been taking a pickaxe and looking at the big clumps of rocks on mountains and cliffs and trying to mine them but it didnt work haha xD, Guessing you just mine with a pickaxe on the ground where it would say  "search for stones?"

47 minutes ago, Kohlbar said:

Dang, I didn't even know you could mine stones haha! I've been taking a pickaxe and looking at the big clumps of rocks on mountains and cliffs and trying to mine them but it didnt work haha xD, Guessing you just mine with a pickaxe on the ground where it would say  "search for stones?"

I tried the cliffs first too and got nothing.  Tried a singular large rock in the woods and had the option.  Havent tried where you would search for stones.

11 hours ago, wasnu said:

Good call. I was just thinking of how annoying it is to be waiting for your plants on server restart and have to start again.  Didnt think of how many would be around if they lasted forever. Maybe despawn after not being used for a couple days or something would be a good idea

Makes me grumpy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Makes me grumpy.

Makes sniping difficult, as if we needed more of a challenge after manual reloads were added.

Well, now that I picked all these stones in the hope of making a fireplace just to have a big stack of the wrong type of stone, it got me thinking wouldn't it be great if players could throw these? Like sneak up behind someone as a fresh spawn and bean them in the head with a rock haha. That'd be awesome! Also it would be awesome if players could throw like hatchets at other players. Of course there'd need to be a reliable physics system to do that, though lol

Has anyone had any luck attaching/swapping handguards in this patch? I can't seem to get it to work on the AKs nor the M4.

1 hour ago, wartzilla said:

Has anyone had any luck attaching/swapping handguards in this patch? I can't seem to get it to work on the AKs nor the M4.

This has been very buggy for a while. With M4s I can usually get it to work, but you have to try more than one method and pay careful attention to when the dropdown box will actually give you the 'swap handguards' option. Sometimes you actually need two M4s to make it work. The trickiest thing is having one gun and trying to take one handguard off it, which I can never make work. 

I'm sure there's a logic to it somehow...

11 hours ago, Buakaw said:

Yeah, they are wrong sometimes. I never saw them admit it tho. But eh, Dayz is still standing on wobbly pillars.

For now I'd play it safe and interact with them weekly and empty + pick them up monthly.

It would be incredibly useful to have a stickied thread with the latest, evidenced, guidance on persistence for tents, barrels, protector cases, backpacks, etc. I certainly interact with my many barrels on a weekly basis, but am not sure about the 'monthly' (or is it 45 days?) emptying-and-picking-them-up thing.

• Like 1