SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

9 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Scarcity will be a thing, you will have a mod to fit your tastes.... stop spreading falsehoods based on your own impatience and lack of perspective, please.

Here you are, again, mis-interpreting and making assumptions. If you read my post history you will find our "perspectives" are more in line than you currently guess, and dial your tone down a tad.

@philbur

I despise misinformation and around here that is a startling amount of what goes 'round.

I'm aware of some of your contributions to these threads and understand a bit about how you play and have agreed mostly with things you post.

It seemed to me that you were rehashing the old fallacy that SAW = CoDayZ.

Adding more guns = PvP DayZ dev path

or time spent coding guns in or working on PvP mechanics = PvP DayZ dev path

^Shit like this has been said forever and just isn't true.

Now you are saying that modules that aren't playable yet are a waste of time?

Enfusion took 2.5 years from the word go.

Audio module, I'm dying for the audio module it's soooo close now, I'll never have to hear those same ambient sounds on a loop from 4 years ago in the mod!

^How is this not worth the wait?

You're impatient for balancing and a massive amount of deep features that still demand a lot of work so you project this on stuff you see released that you care less for (and possibly stuff you don't understand as part of the process).

^Is this wrong?!

Seriously, what am I missing?

Vocal minority seems to be a hodge podge of people who don't want constant PvP but have wildly different ideas about what that means.

My expectations are built around elements of the mod, plus more added elements the designers thought fleshed out the experience best, and all brought up to modern standards.

In my experience there are 2 groups of supporters.

People who also played the mod who in chatting with them commiserate on some of the great things the SA lacks that the mod had and share stories of how brutal some of the mod builds were, and how difficult some aspects of survival actually were.

People who didn't play the mod seem to have ideas skewed towards a personal fantasy of how the game should be or they think the current state of the game is how it will always be.

The former group consists of people like myself that were around when Rocket was still hands on with the mod and have been discussing the philosophies and game play ideas around DayZ for 4 years now.

This project has changed and will change on a dime and if you take weeks off from just reading the forum (I will quit playing but try to follow the important threads) you will fall behind or miss something that may be important as far as historical knowledge of this process.

(When are we getting empty cans back?)

There are a lot of common complaints that are repeated over and over and many of them are truly unfounded when you know all the facts.

The build threads should be kept as a place for some real solid information, even if it's bland, and a little light banter when things die down, that's how I prefer it.

Knit picking over the studios decisions or trying to criticize the devs timing for content output like you know better about their jobs?

Not constructive, not well founded.

• Like 1

Wow.  Has been a while and i wish i had time tonight to catch up i am 10 or so pages behind.  Will catch up tomorrow i hope, there is alwayd a lot of good content here its just mixed in really good haha.

Having a great time on .60.  Havent logged in to find myself naked in a while so im guessing its fixed but who knows.  Finally got a small base going and having a lot of fun doing it.  Left pens and paper in the tents in hopes someone will leave me a note if they find my camp.

Curious about firepits.  I know the basic ones are not persistant but does that change if i build a pro one with rocks or if i add a tripod?  What about a barrel firepit is this still possible? Will it despawn?  Only have a few barrels at camp and dont wanna sacrifice one of em.

Havent seen any wildlife since stable release.  Heard a few chickens but havent even seen them.  Wondering if they are still in.

41 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Audio module, I'm dying for the audio module it's soooo close now, I'll never have to hear those same ambient sounds on a loop from 4 years ago in the mod!

^How is this not worth the wait?

You're impatient for balancing and a massive amount of deep features that still demand a lot of work so you project this on stuff you see released that you care less for (and possibly stuff you don't understand as part of the process).

^Is this wrong?!

Understood, but you did indeed read my take on PvP incorrectly and I was a bit annoyed that you thought I was complaining about the weapon work as being a deliberate way the devs were encouraging it. I am concerned how the community will use this kind of content (which will affect how the game ultimately plays) and I still don't think it is as important as you do for adding to the overall experience (but again....I personally don't think so, that's all).

The day the Audio module gets implemented is the day I have been waiting for. It is worth the wait. I have waited.

I don't consider myself at all "impatient" and I would not be here if I was. I have spent enough of my career in software development to have a fairly decent grasp on why certain milestones don't get met and a while ago I decided not to stress about it and just enjoy the builds as they happen. I am not impatient with balancing because this is something that is easily done much closer to Beta or 1.0. And finally, I have to say (and just trust that you will believe me) that my thoughts on this forum are not just random outbursts to make myself feel better. I won't say you are "wrong" but I honestly think these are unfortunate misunderstandings....how's that? :-p

• Like 3

Back on topic...and I have a V3S question.

I drove one for the first time in a long time and was surprised that the only way you can check the status of the wheels and lights is to examine them with the inventory screen....right?

I was expecting that you could swap components if you were carrying another one in your own inventory. I know they are still a long way from being completed vehicles, but the system from the mod worked pretty well for this kind of thing and I hope they use a similar system for SA.

18 hours ago, Salty seadog said:

Anyone had any luck finding fal mags or .308 ammo? Musve looted mishkino tents about 50 times! And ive been to ~20 heli crashes, but still no luck. Just wondering if theyre in..

I found a 10 rd fal mag on a smoking chopper east of green mountain on the slope....308 seems rare.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

A quick question to you boys and girls.

B95 or Winchester 70?

I've picked up both and now I can't choose. I've got some great long rage shots (on zombies) with the Winchester. Haven't tried the B95 on anything yet. I might store the Winnie and try the Blaze for a bit.

But which is better?

Double carry and try them both out. I think in .60 experimental, I finally found a model 70 and with a pristine scope I was not doing very well past 400mm. It seemed to me like they changed that rifle. I haven't had a B95 and ammo and pristine scope at the same time in .60 yet..hehe. Let us know which one is more accurate out at 600mm. My plan lately is to get a matching set of rifle & bullets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philbur said:

Back on topic...and I have a V3S question.

I drove one for the first time in a long time and was surprised that the only way you can check the status of the wheels and lights is to examine them with the inventory screen....right?

I was expecting that you could swap components if you were carrying another one in your own inventory. I know they are still a long way from being completed vehicles, but the system from the mod worked pretty well for this kind of thing and I hope they use a similar system for SA.

Mousing over the V3S wheels in the inventory screen also works for me, there doesn't seem to be any visual difference between the conditions, though. It seems like the batteries, glow plugs, etc can only be interacted with by looking at them physically on the truck, then pressing F to remove or replace as needed. Personally I like this system and I think they are moving in a great direction with vehicle interaction. What surprises me is that I could only repair the front V3S wheels, but not the rear wheels. Anybody else having the same problem?

12 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

B95 or Winchester 70?

I've picked up both and now I can't choose. I've got some great long rage shots (on zombies) with the Winchester. Haven't tried the B95 on anything yet. I might store the Winnie and try the Blaze for a bit.

But which is better?

I think this question will be asked far after the final game is released, haha. Personally I've always favored the Blaze for its ability to get that 1-2 hit BAM BAM. Also, now there is the manual bolting mechanism to the Winchester, and I'm still struggling with that feature. Just gives me another reason to use the Blaze.

• Like 2

On 25.6.2016 at 7:26 PM, Tonyeh said:

B95 or Winchester 70?

But which is better?

Win: 5 bullets, seemingly higher recoil, much slower firing speed due to manual bolt pulling

Blaze: 2 bullets, less recoil, quite quick follow up shot.

Blaze wins in single target assasination, Winchester in multi target engagements / suppressive fire. Having the zig zaggers in mind, the Winchester also wins of course.

edited

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 1

Its a very foggy day on whatever EXP server I'm on.  Just ran over a guy in a pretty open field lying in the grass in a ghillie.  Literally was on top of him before I saw him. Stopped, talked to him:  no response, no movement.  Was he faking AFK, only to shoot me when I move on, I wondered. He had no gun in his hand.  So, I just took off the other direction.  It just now occurs to me, he was probably lying there wet trying to cool off and was AFK, as I am while typing this.  :D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, philbur said:

-snip- I won't say you are "wrong" but I honestly think these are unfortunate misunderstandings....how's that? :-p

Some of this was communication breakdown, agreed; and hopefully some noob, lurker, or misinformed player, learned something from our tepid discourse.

Your thoughts in these threads have mostly been spot on and none of my comments were meant as a personal slight. This made the perceived misinformation all the more bothersome for me....

Don't hesitate to join myself and some of the regulars here on Riddlers TS3 if you ever want to meet up with or chat with people here (the server is public just search for "Welcome to the Jungle", it should come up).

• Like 3

Are the smaller tents spawning and if so what locations? Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

Its a very foggy day on whatever EXP server I'm on.  Just ran over a guy in a pretty open field lying in the grass in a ghillie.  Literally was on top of him before I saw him. Stopped, talked to him:  no response, no movement.  Was he faking AFK, only to shoot me when I move on, I wondered. He had no gun in his hand.  So, I just took off the other direction.  It just now occurs to me, he was probably lying there wet trying to cool off and was AFK, as I am while typing this.  :D

Your last hypothesis is the most likely IME. Ghillies are almost impossible to wear right now...

I do get  a (possibly illusory) sense that the temperature effects vary by server. However, Eugen has been pretty clear that the game is intended to reflect actual eastern European climatic conditions, and currently does so - despite the fact that all the deciduous trees are brown and you can see your breath.

I finally played with my friends, we didn't play in a group since January. Atmosphere was nice, night and then fog in new Cherno. But there was just not enough zombies. I killed maybe 7 or 8. 

Strange thing happened after two or three hours in game. Fps dropped and graphics turned to shit. Like everything turned to low settings. Maybe Pc was overheating, I never had this before. I play Arma 3 and that never happened. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buakaw said:

The winchester has tighter dispersion (0.01 vs 0.03)

I spit my coffee out and rushed to check that.

No change. With a hunting scope they are both 0.00075.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mookie (original) said:

Your last hypothesis is the most likely IME. Ghillies are almost impossible to wear right now...

I do get  a (possibly illusory) sense that the temperature effects vary by server. However, Eugen has been pretty clear that the game is intended to reflect actual eastern European climatic conditions, and currently does so - despite the fact that all the deciduous trees are brown and you can see your breath.

I'm packing a thermometer right now and in a 3 hour session on Friday I think i went from hot to cold shaking and back a few time but it was only a 2 degree Celsius difference between the two statuses, that in itself seems a little extreme to me.

I was doing other stuff so not timing things accurately just making observations for the most part but I did with a hot status tread water in a pond for a timed 20 minutes while eating IRL and that was how long it took me to swing back to cold.   

• Like 3

I had a rough time last night, started a 3pp character and had a few weapons and food and soda's and found some seeds and a shovel. No matching ammo, but found a nice backpack and was moving stuff into it, crash, logged back in and had old backpack with almost everything gone and new backpack which should have been 20 feet away was now a green shirt. Found a small military shovel and a rifle to match ammo I had and crash, my rifle was gone and the one 20 feet away was now a flare. Some unstable server, so I went to a different server, ran to NWAF and HOLY SMOKE!!! Every hanger had at least 1 box on .45 and I found a full kitted ak74 with 12 rounds in the 30 rd mag. Found an FNX and 2 mags to go with my 100 rounds of .45. The dome building by the tents had 3 AKM's one on the top of the first three beds. One tent had an AK101 and a couple more tents had two M4's which I made into one M4 with the best parts. Found a worn Acog and headed out the north end to get water with about 90 rounds for it and a 30 and 20 rd mag. I'm going to assume I landed on a new server that had yet to be Hoarded by the Super Hoarder Crew. I have not seen a civilian tent or a barrel lately. I have seen several military tents.

• Like 2

So this happened today, I logged in and selected play.  My character went into my favorite public server and I was completely naked except for my M4 which also had only the magazine I had last put in it.  No buttstock, no foregrips, no sights, only the magazine.  This was not the usual "could not connect to database" bug.  What the hell was that all about?  I logged out and went back in without moving but the server screen froze on me.  I go back into a different public server, same, naked me, naked rifle.  Was this a database, server or client side foul up?  Any ideas?

49 minutes ago, Excanto said:

I had a rough time last night, started a 3pp character and had a few weapons and food and soda's and found some seeds and a shovel. No matching ammo, but found a nice backpack and was moving stuff into it, crash, logged back in and had old backpack with almost everything gone and new backpack which should have been 20 feet away was now a green shirt. Found a small military shovel and a rifle to match ammo I had and crash, my rifle was gone and the one 20 feet away was now a flare. Some unstable server, so I went to a different server, ran to NWAF and HOLY SMOKE!!! Every hanger had at least 1 box on .45 and I found a full kitted ak74 with 12 rounds in the 30 rd mag. Found an FNX and 2 mags to go with my 100 rounds of .45. The dome building by the tents had 3 AKM's one on the top of the first three beds. One tent had an AK101 and a couple more tents had two M4's which I made into one M4 with the best parts. Found a worn Acog and headed out the north end to get water with about 90 rounds for it and a 30 and 20 rd mag. I'm going to assume I landed on a new server that had yet to be Hoarded by the Super Hoarder Crew. I have not seen a civilian tent or a barrel lately. I have seen several military tents.

There are some weird things going on atm...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barnabus said:

So this happened today, I logged in and selected play.  My character went into my favorite public server and I was completely naked except for my M4 which also had only the magazine I had last put in it.  No buttstock, no foregrips, no sights, only the magazine.  This was not the usual "could not connect to database" bug.  What the hell was that all about?  I logged out and went back in without moving but the server screen froze on me.  I go back into a different public server, same, naked me, naked rifle.  Was this a database, server or client side foul up?  Any ideas?

Besides some bizarre bug, can someone club you after you log, before your body vanishes and strip you and toss all your gear on the ground?

19 hours ago, Excanto said:

Double carry and try them both out. I think in .60 experimental, I finally found a model 70 and with a pristine scope I was not doing very well past 400mm. It seemed to me like they changed that rifle. I haven't had a B95 and ammo and pristine scope at the same time in .60 yet..hehe. Let us know which one is more accurate out at 600mm. My plan lately is to get a matching set of rifle & bullets.

I decided to go with the b95, which I'm using with a worn scope. Primarily because there's less recoil. The damage/range seems about the same. I can one shot zombies fairly easily from around 500. Haven't used it on players.

Combination at the moment of b95 with MP5 and I'm liking it. The silenced MP5 is great to clear out zeds. Unsilenced, it's great for putting the shits up people too. Some guy tried to shoot me with a b95, but missed...from a few feet as well. He ran and hid (and reload I spose) and I followed and fired off a load of rounds into the air to see what he'd do (I've more 9mm than I know what to do with). The noise and RoF was enough to make him hightail it away from me as fast as he could. I followed him with scope on my b95. The guy didn't know he was in my sights for ages as he raced towards a nearby wood.

So funny.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

There are some weird things going on atm...

Damn right there is.  Seems like Vavilovo is the MP-133 shotgun capital of the world, found 5 in one house, three in a shack and few more scattered about in various buildings in that town alone.  Crazy.

Western side of the map is home spawn of the pink ball cap.  Can't find any other color but pink colored ball caps west of Chernogorsk..

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, igor-vk said:

Strange thing happened after two or three hours in game. Fps dropped and graphics turned to shit. Like everything turned to low settings. Maybe Pc was overheating, I never had this before. I play Arma 3 and that never happened. 

That is a very good point! I thought maybe it is due to my gfx and since I  am getting a new one this fall I didn't bother too much. But this happens to me too! Regularly. I see the lowest LOD models of everything after playing long sessions. It looks like carboard trees, shoebox houses, etc. They load in the high res object and texture when I get closer, but the majority just looks like crap. Sometimes this is only temporarily and goes away again completely. But it always happened on long sessions to me too! I hope it is only a matter of me/us having old gfx hardware! Visibility is great, but the quality of objects is often low for me. I think the new card will work wonders in that regard. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Noticed something weird today, fixed up a Lada and drove it around a bit and while driving, my fps went about 7-10 fps, country or city. Got out of the car and fps got better, but kept dropping to around 10 every few seconds. Completely exited and restarted the game, and fps were back to normal. Got in the car with someone else driving, fps still good and normal (driver complained about fps with high end pc). Yet after that I drove and again fps dropped.  It's really weird, it's like being in the car infected the game and caused the fps to suffer until the game was restarted, which cleaned up the issue. Memory leak?

• Like 1

i want the devs to add so many infected that it ends up on an episode of "extreme hoarding"

• Like 2