nl

Make the infected afraid of fire

Since the undead (infected) seem to rely on their most basic of (animal) instincts it would be cool if they would be afraid of fire. Carrying a torch would make them keep their distance and a camp fire would create a circle of safety. Especially at night they could be attracted by it but too afraid to attack. Could cause some interesting moments having a horde following you through a town and your torch goes out...

(EDIT: title corrected)

Edited by SAK
  • Like 4

Hello there

Dont forget they're not undead rather "infected" with a virus.

But, Fire *is* a very primeval thing and I too would like something like this.

Think of the Snake scene in the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 3

Dont forget they're not undead rather "infected" with a virus.

But, Fire *is* a very primeval thing and I too would like something like this.

Think of the Snake scene in the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Lol, I was trying to avoid using "zombie" haha, ok "the infected" it is.

Yeah I know that scene. Would also be nice to create a ring of fire around you with gasoline.

• Like 1

Hmm, but they are attracted to light/sound, isn't that the plan? That would be an interesting loop whe they run to your torch, burn themselves and run into the torch again ;) Things like torches can be used to distract them, like what a grenade does. So you throw a torch at night and they go for it, clearing the path for yourself. I'm waiting for the proper introduction of the custom infected that react to players and wear player gear. They should already be in the game, but by the time they actually are and when we see how the devs intended the infected to behave, we can make better assumptions about what kind of things they should be afraid of. 

It would be cool, if you could burn them (1 guy pours petrol and another guy lights it) and use them as a distraction to other zombies. I wouldn't really want them to be afraid of fire. Predators in the wild should be, but I think the infected should be drawn to it.  

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Actually. . This entire idea could be molded to even say,

The Infected are allergic to light. . Meaning, the majority of them stalk inside buildings during the day. . and at night, they go to the roads and roam around in large quantities.

• Like 2

Go play Dying light by playing Dying light. 

Why?

If they have a great mechanic, give us the details.

You can also gift me the game if you wish so I can see what you mean :)

L

• Like 5

Not you. The guy who wants zeds more dangerous at night time. Because it would blatant ripping it off of DL. 

Edited by General Zod

Well, there's also 'I am legend' and a whole slew of other 'infected' genre post-apoc stories...

Personally, I'd see the 'infected' as akin to the 'rage virus' from 28 days later.

Consumed by rage/hatred/lust for killing (and blending in traditional 'zombie' lore being that of those-that-do-not-care) I'd see any inflicted/infected as being above reasoning, primal urges/stimuli or any other kind of cause/effect behavior.  They exist purely to destroy that which is not themselves.

I could definitely appreciate the change or dynamic that would come about due to fear of light, but I'd personally want to see a MS type zombie, where fear, pain, reason, rationale, etc... is not part of their makeup.  It's a simple A-B process of search and destroy, hunter killer, infect and spread.  Like cordiceps (cue 'The Last of Us'); the virus/prion/pathogen has a singular purpose of reproducing.  Fire is but an obstacle made redundant by removal of pain or other stimuli in the host. 

Walk through it and infect, spread, become legion.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 3

Well, there's also 'I am legend' and a whole slew of other 'infected' genre post-apoc stories...

Exactly what I was going to say. I haven't seen an original idea for zombies/infected in many years. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's all derivative. Also, I like your idea of some kind of hunter/killer zombies. 

I was just thinking earlier about the idea of having military human AI roaming about trying to exterminate infected and players (the potentially contaminated). Might even be cool as a dynamic event.

I wouldn't mind infected numbers or aggressiveness increasing at night. Time to get some horror going in this survival horror MMO.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 3

Because nothing screams 'horror game' like a DayZ zombie slap. I wanna fear walking into a building, I wanna be scared for my life for every single infected...because they are hunters, and if I get caught off guard, that one zed I missed could knock me down and rip out my jugular.

How is giving a monster a nocturnal life cycle so frowned upon? If anything, it's perfect for any game; players run around outside during the day, so spawn zombies inside buildings and then make  players afraid of the dark so they hunker down inside during the night, which means you can spawn zombies outside...and reduce the chance that players will actually see 'pop-up' zombies.

• Like 1

If the virus that makes them infected was based on rabies they would be scared of water, though they should foam at the mouth some more but maybe the virus has been tampered with to do away with that symptom though thats how the virus spreads hence why rabid dogs bite to spread the virus.

Personally, I'd see the 'infected' as akin to the 'rage virus' from 28 days later.

Consumed by rage/hatred/lust for killing (and blending in traditional 'zombie' lore being that of those-that-do-not-care) I'd see any inflicted/infected as being above reasoning, primal urges/stimuli or any other kind of cause/effect behavior.  They exist purely to destroy that which is not themselves.

I could definitely appreciate the change or dynamic that would come about due to fear of light, but I'd personally want to see a MS type zombie, where fear, pain, reason, rationale, etc... is not part of their makeup.  It's a simple A-B process of search and destroy, hunter killer, infect and spread.  Like cordiceps (cue 'The Last of Us'); the virus/prion/pathogen has a singular purpose of reproducing.  Fire is but an obstacle made redundant by removal of pain or other stimuli in the host. 

Walk through it and infect, spread, become legion.

I am legend the monster were vampires or at least in the book which was the good one the movie was complete utter shit. And i agree with you 28 series points this game would benefit greatly from following a lot of there zed lore, though i don't imagine folks would like that very much as the game would actually get difficult.

Because nothing screams 'horror game' like a DayZ zombie slap. I wanna fear walking into a building, I wanna be scared for my life for every single infected...because they are hunters, and if I get caught off guard, that one zed I missed could knock me down and rip out my jugular.

How is giving a monster a nocturnal life cycle so frowned upon? If anything, it's perfect for any game; players run around outside during the day, so spawn zombies inside buildings and then make  players afraid of the dark so they hunker down inside during the night, which means you can spawn zombies outside...and reduce the chance that players will actually see 'pop-up' zombies.

I have this impression that night on public servers is shunned and many people log out for nights at private ones. And when they don't, god knows how many just tune their gamma to have the night feel like a B&W day. I'm afraid your idea would be cherished by like ten players out there. But I'd like to see more horror elements in Chernarus, so thumbs up.

it's been done.  make them afraid of PEACHES!  because reasons.

• Like 1

I don't think this would be cool , people would just meta game and always keep torches around ... Also there's really never been any zombies/infected afraid of fire in any movies except for the original Night of the living dead and its 1990 remake, so I feel like it would be foreign to a lot of people and make them think that these are some type of retarded cave men and not the badass infected we all know and love from 28 days later and such .

I don't think this would be cool , people would just meta game and always keep torches around ... Also there's really never been any zombies/infected afraid of fire in any movies except for the original Night of the living dead and its 1990 remake, so I feel like it would be foreign to a lot of people and make them think that these are some type of retarded cave men and not the badass infected we all know and love from 28 days later and such .

That it has not or hardly been done is not an argument. I have no special love for any of the infected movies or series so I am not stuck in one perception about "infected" and feel it would be nice if DAYZ did NOT walk the beaten path.

Also the metagaming is not really an argument imo. As it is now you can also take a suppressed weapon and the infected are not really a threat any more, as long as you have bullets. Also, having to carry a torch would make you vulnerable to other players as you need much more time to switch to a weapon and when you are followed by a bunch of infected that would make for a hairy situation.

But, it was just an idea for everyone's consideration.

I'd rather they get the general behavior right before trying to get fancy with things like fire fear!

In the mod flares and campfires would draw zombies to them. The zombies were attracted to the light at night. In the daytime a smoke grenade could do the same thing it's hiss and smoke would cause zombies to alert to it and slowly walk over to investigate. 

So in the mod my friend and I would often start a fire and then toss a few flares to get them moving in that direction and then loot the other half of a town while all the zombies wandered towards the one side. 

During the day we would wander to a back door or roof and toss a smoke grenade out one side of a building and exit out the other.

It's a gamble because it draws the eyes of snipers, but hopefully  you move quickly and it draws them to the wrong place.

• Like 1

DayZ infected being afraid of anything kind of destroy the atmosphere for me...

They are crazy infected humans, they don't even fear being shot at, and don't feel pain, why should they fear fire?

maybe interesting to see how it plays out in a mod later, but for the main game... i would like to keep my infected crazy and flesh-hungry please ;)

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 2

Not you. The guy who wants zeds more dangerous at night time. Because it would blatant ripping it off of DL. 

Yeah, because it's an idea original to Dying Light, kappa.

ROFLMAO

Yeah, because it's an idea original to Dying Light, kappa.

ROFLMAO

Well apart form that there is also the part that infected that are more dangerous in the night time, will be just another sweet reason not to play at night time servers.

Guys, making the "infected" more dangerous at night makes absolutely no sense. The "infected" are literally just people with a degenerative brain disease, and unless said degenerative brain disease magically changed the rods and cones receptors in their eyes, they will have literally the same level of night vision as normal humans, aka not all that great. During a full moon, sure, they will be able to see, but any other time they will be stumblefucking around.

• Like 2

Guys, making the "infected" more dangerous at night makes absolutely no sense. The "infected" are literally just people with a degenerative brain disease, and unless said degenerative brain disease magically changed the rods and cones receptors in their eyes, they will have literally the same level of night vision as normal humans, aka not all that great. During a full moon, sure, they will be able to see, but any other time they will be stumblefucking around.

That's a terrible argument. Not trying to be antagonistic, but this is fiction. Magic, or in this context science fiction, is permissible.