boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

All your points are completely void. If killing other players is the only thing truly enjoyable in Dayz to you, you are not playing Dayz. 

Cute.

Pretty sure that when I... 

6HOdefQ.gif

...DayZ opens and I play it.

You say that if I shoot everything I'm missing the point. Well, I'll have you know that I rarely miss. If I want to talk to random people on the internet then I'll make a Facebook profile or I'll walk to the Waffle House and hit on the oddly hot milfs behind the counter. You know a chick with a baby is down to fuck. You are correct that not every encounter has to be an exchange of bullets. But I enjoy exchanging bullets. It's fun. It's a challenge. It's tense. It's enjoyable. That's what I enjoy in DayZ right now because for me it's the only thing in this incomplete game that has any semblance of fun. If talking to people is fun for you, then jolly good for you. Keep doing it. It's your game. But it hardly makes me a dumbass to kill people and take their stuff. It's enjoyable alternatives of upwards class mobility.

You want to exclude me from public servers? How is that "fair" in your big book of knowing what is right and fair for others?

When you say that people should be teleported to random spots on Chernarus when they log out within 500 meters of a military loot zone so it's easier for people who play alone, I don't think explaining why my idea of fairness is superior to yours is necessary

But, you my fingers need the exercise. Lucky you. To put it simply, making every server Private completely negates server hopping. It renders it impossible. That's the biggest, best benefit of having private shard servers. I think that most of the DayZ community frowns upon the act, and the people who do it probably don't try and morally justify their server hopping actions. By giving everybody the same field to play on, it's putting everybody on the same set of rules with the same set of guidelines. Literally as fair as it can get. When all the players have to gear up in the server that they die on and can't hop from this place to that place, that's fair since it applies to all players. Every player has to abide by the same looting and respawning rules. They can't "cheat" their loot. Everybody has to go and get it "the right way". 

Having Public servers as an option is like having a rifle in Battlefield that kills in one hit. Nobody is forcing you to use that gun, but it's without a doubt an option that gives you huge advantages in both time and firepower to use. "Well, if you think it's too good/easy, then you just use it, too!" is the obvious defense. A classic, in fact. Indeed, having only public shard servers where everybody has the option of server hopping is the other idea instead of going all private, but I think that the idea of DayZ as a finished product isn't one that takes into account server hopping as a legitimate survival strategy since it basically renders every mechanic in terms of survival/gearing/player interaction either completely circumvented or easy to the point of uselessness. 

If you play on Public servers and you hate server hopping and hate getting killed by server hoppers...well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Your last paragraph basically translates to: "I'm one of the server hoppers. Don't take away my privileges!"

It basically doesn't. HC8YCV6.jpg?1

Why would you even care about the topic, if you only play on private hives?

Because every one of the players of DayZ is part of the same community, regardless of their server preference. Prevailing attitudes of server hopping exist in the same community as I am in. DayZ is not split up between people who play Private and people who play Public. It's one group of players. Invariable, being in the same community with them affects the attitudes of people who play the same game as I do and how they play and how they expect the game to be. It's like being a furry who doesn't like to wear the suits. Simply put, if people have differing opinions than I do about something and we all exist in the same community, that's not good for me because I want my opinion to be the most widely accepted.

I am not attempting to give anyone an advantage, as you claim. 

You literally said:

If you log off in a 500 (at least!) meter radius of a military zone, you should be teleported to a random respawn point on the next server. That would not only be more fair to solo players, it would also require these groups to spend a lot more effort on their server-hopping and ultimately defeat its purpose and make people stick to one or two servers for the most part. 

You are attempting to give an advantage to people who don't play in a group by nullifying the natural advantage that being in a group gives to players. You literally said that if would be "more fair to solo players". Not to mention the fact that people can't magically measure out 500 meters in their heads, how you would suggest the game even recognize that players are playing in a group, what constitutes as a "military zone", etc. 

For example...let's take a look at Stary Sobor:

pRNXh4X.png?1

There is a possible helicopter spawn to the southwest and the five military loot tents to the northeast. You cannot log out in any of the area shown on this picture, except maybe the corner in the northwest. Barely. Even if the helicopter doesn't spawn there, basically the entire town is no bueno for logging out because those tents would plop you to Berezino before you could say "This is a shitty fucking mechanic, I'm gonna go play Starcraft."

And how far is 500 meters? Well, you'd better be a damn good guesser. Or else you're going to be randomly teleported somewhere on the map. Huff huff.

but these are exploits used to gain an advantage over tactically sound players. 

Like you, right? Right. These exploits are used to gain advantages over everybody, not just armchair Navy Seals sitting in front of a computer screen.

The game is supposed to be realistic.

Wrong. The game is supposed to have realistic elements when they are appropriate for gameplay. Even if that were the case, teleporting people across an entire countryside when they spawn to close to a place where a AK Hanguard could be is fighting unrealism with even more unrealism. If something isn't realistic, that's fine...so long as it's sensible and intuitive and repeatable.

If people keep spawning in on me from all sides, while I'm in a military area that is neither fair nor realistic.  

It is perfectly fair. You know it's a possibility. You know it's a mechanic. You know that people log out around the NWAF and can spawn in at any time. You have to be vigilant and perceptive and you cannot let your guard down. If you're truly doing that, then the chances that you will be taken advantage of by somebody randomly spawning in within killing distance of you without your notice is minimal. And even if you don't notice, then there would be no possible way that you could tell you were killed by somebody who just spawned in instead of somebody who just waltzed over. In fact, just not noticing players who are already in the game is most likely a hundred times more deadly to you than somebody spawning in. Most people choose safe and out of the way places to spawn in anyway where they are not noticeable in the moments of their loading in. You wouldn't have seen them if they were standing there anyway.

Good chat. :thumbsup:  

Also...  

I agree that it is too easy to get loot with serverhopping but teleporting would kill the feeling of the game. Basically player serverhopp in locations where they find good equipment, and logging in there should be the threat, so basically you should shit your pants when you login into a server because there are dozens of infected around you. Teleporting does not belong into this game.

This guy gets it.  :beans:

• Like 1

But hopping servers to get desired loot maintains the integrity of the game?

There are better ways of mitigating server hoppers that don't adversely affect every player in the game. I agree that server hopping is totes not cool, but applying its penalty so widely will without a doubt affect many many people who do not server hop. 

-snipperoni-

Dude I love shooting people! It gives me a nice adrenaline rush. I also like having adventures with random strangers I meet. Can't do that on Facebook. huh?

--

On an unrelated topic, why is it impossible to aim upstairs? It's really annoying how the character can't bend his arms up past a certain angle, yet the people upstairs can shoot at any angle they damn well please down at you. Has it always been like this or is it a glitch? Makes having shootouts in buildings just about pointless in some situations.

Cute.

You're not understanding the concept of preventive measures, are you? If you get teleported to another spawnpoint - possibly in a remote area, how often do you think people would be stupid enough to log off in the vicinity of a military installation? I'm thinking maybe twice, before they get it and stop doing it altogether. That's the purpose of the action. A more drastic way would be to kill you or ruin all your gear, if you log off near high-risk areas. Another way would be,perhaps to spawn a shitload of infected on you, if you log off anywhere near those areas - but that would only work, if it guaranteed damage to the player's gear and a probability of dying.

I'm good at Dayz, because I've played the Arma series, since before it was Arma. I hardly play other games and I've always loved the series. I'm not pretending to be a soldier and the game is a survival game, which you can learn a bit about by playing it a lot. Don't know why you are unable to grasp that my suggestion isn't about punishing anyone, but to stop people from spawning in on military areas. Apart from what I said about server hoppers, it deals with the even more serious problem of ghosting and gets rid of it completely. I don't see how ghosting or server-jumping at military installations is a "realistic element appropriate for gameplay" in your book. The No-Spawn zones would be only a few. I would also not include Balota or the shitty base at Kamensk or any chopper spawns; if the chopper spawns near the milibase, you don't log off there. It's just painfully obvious at Myshkino Tents, North-West Airfield and Vybor that the people there often don't move across the map at all, but across servers only. That's neither a game mechanic, nor an intended gameplay feature. It's what I said it is: an exploit. N-Spawn areas could be marked by signs saying you are entering a restricted area. The radius can be adjusted, but should not be within shooting/marksman range.

I really enjoy the game, despite many things that bug me. Among them is that it's annoying, how people with the assflesh to sit out a serverhopping session get rewarded for their actions, while players who mostly stay on one server + interact with the players there are rewarded by empty military installations and ambushed from freshly spawned, fully geared serverhoppers. Let's say this mechanic is not employed on private servers/shards at all - would it still seem such a bad idea?

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

All your points are completely void. If killing other players is the only thing truly enjoyable in Dayz to you, you are not playing Dayz. Surviving encounters is the enjoyable thing to me. If you just shoot everything you are missing the point of the game completely.  

I respectfully disagree. I dislike this all over KOS myself, but currently it is the only challenge.

- Food is so easy to come by, no need for even trees, bushes, deer or fish ... I could stash food cans to neverland. Same for drinking.

- Guns and ammo are still way too prevalent. Everyone has a gun with matching ammo after 20-30 minutes. Most have more than only one and then there is the duper community.

- Add to that melee still being not implemented in a meaningful way, so maybe this is one of the reasons guns in chernarus are about as rare as smart phones in your town.

- zombies aka infected are no challenge either. If in doubt just run for a minute. They are slower, they are loud and they give up soon. Or shoot em, alwas works and as for ammo quantities, see above.

- I cannot remember the last time I was sick. And the medical system is way too basic to be a challenge as well. Eat raw flesh? Take a charcoal. Full stop. I never ever have suffered an infected wound.

So where is the challenge I play for? I absolutely understand him going for the kills, I do as well from time to time. And other people act the same way, so you better shoot first most of the time. Yes, I'd love it to be different and have more of a challenge than just shoot n run, but the current state of the game allows for little more than that. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Public service announcement.

People can survive 9mm shots to the unarmored noggin'.

tEThmLU.gif

jD3mnoP.gif

Breaking news for our viewers, the .22 LR round now completely useless. 

Full story at eleven.

I respectfully disagree. I dislike this all over KOS myself, but currently it is the only challenge.

KOS is a challenge? A challenge is not to KOS! It happens - I'm not making sweet love to the people I meet either. I'm just saying, there is a range of reactions to another player and KOS is the most boring one.  

I'm not talking about people with 9mm Red9 running around, either (you're dead if it is a single 45cal headshot, btw). I'm talking about groups of people, who are armed with FAL and AKM or AUG, loaded up with ammo and who either camp the airfield and change servers right there (in the prison building or in the tower) or who log on and off in the cover of the trees there. I'm talking about people who come out of nowhere, are heavily geared and come from other servers and do hardly anything else, but camping the airfield and hop servers. There is no way a lone-wolf player can challenge or predict their appearance and even smaller groups can't cope with them. And since they are there, nothing interesting is left on the airfield anyway, so it defeats the idea of going there in the first place. I want the airfield to be a hard combat zone - I don't want it to be a zone for clowns that camp there and jump servers, until they see something to KOS.  

Hay guise just wanted all ya'll to know you will be shot at when you play this game.

AND. IT. WILL. NEVER. CHANGE.

Ever.

Play more. Cry less.

• Like 1

Hay guise just wanted all ya'll to know you will be shot at when you play this game.

AND. IT. WILL. NEVER. CHANGE.

Ever.

Play more. Cry less.

Ding! There it is, Folks.... I knew it was just a matter of time until someone finally chimed in for no reason other than to insert juvenile smack.

While I could care less about HOW you play DayZ (as you have the right to do whatever you want with your game license) the issue of Server Hopping is, essentially, a lazy way to circumvent the "spirit" of looting and maintaining your gear as a Survivor. It has become popular with a lot of players because it's easy (something that appeals to the younger generations). You can argue all you want about it and throw around smartass comments like this guy just did....but c'mon guys...lighten up. I don't expect it to change either, but the debate is a good one.

And by the way, "RAGS" Any chance you could alter that Avatar Sig? Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by philbur

1. If you want to avoid server hoppers, play on a private. Because then you have to play on that server in order to keep your loot. Personally I don´t understand why public are in use? Isn´t better with fewer servers but crowded?

2. As long there is no missions/purpose of you being in Chernarus the only "mission" will be KOS. You don´t gain anything being friendly. I tried in the beginning but just ended up dead. If you can´t beat them, join them.

3. I would like to see factions in DayZ. Then it be more natural working together.

Ding! There it is, Folks.... I knew it was just a matter of time until someone finally chimed in for no reason other than to insert juvenile smack.

Girth Brooks always has this same thing to say in basically the same one-liner. It might as well be his signature.

It's weird how many people have given up on playing Dayz, like how the mod was played in the beginning. I've made a lot of friends through playing cooperatively in the mod. I'd help them up when they were hit by zombies, or offered help for a ride when I saw a stuck car. I also liked working with people, in order to get a chopper and boat done and go to some of the danger zones that were in the mods (e.g. bunker on Namalsk, Salvation City on Origins). Those were really great times and I could often connect with the people I met by chance. There still was plenty of shooting at all times and when I revisited those mods last year, I couldn't believe how much they'd changed. Outside of the trade zones, everybody was shooting at you, nobody was looking to cooperate and each person had their own vehicle. So I'm wondering: if the game hasn't changed - have the people playing it. It's a lot less fun if everything is played out in that linear way. There are no surprises and it gets dull after a while. The point of the mods became raiding each others bases and stealing from forgotten safes. 

I just think we might be hitting those same problems with the standalone, as people already can't make up reasons why not to Kill on Sight. Nobody seems to think: "with another person, I could repair a car in half the time." Or: "When I go into a military area, I could use a safety to stand watch." It's much more convenient to mow everyone down, even if they are not carrying anything and loot in remote locations. And I wonder how long it will be fun for those groups that server-hop inside the airfield buildings to keep doing their thing. I agree that the game needs to make things more interesting for us to make us invest effort into playing more cooperatively, but it already feels pretty good to meet someone and not shoot at them, or have a talk after you both exchanged some bullets and realized there is no reason to kill each other.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

Just sharing my two cents but I personally find the PvP aspects of this game very entertaining. Like a lot of people, I started off as an explorer traveling around and seeing all the sights while stopping to scavenge food and supplies from time to time but now days, the only challenge the game really has is surviving in high pop servers where combat is the law of the land. Sure its fun talking to people and not here for griefing fresh spawns, but once they're armed, I consider them part of the skirmish in major cities/military zones. A bambi with a chambered pistol can take out a guy who's spent hours gathering gear with a well placed headshot which is why most people who enjoy PvP will put a bullet in them because most people, even the seemingly harmless ones, in cherno or elektro aren't there to grow pumpkins and tell stories around camp fires. I love this game because it's more then just typical PvP. It's more of a winner takes all high stakes pvp where you spend time gearing up and death usually takes you out of the fight, especially if you're a solo player. If you like playing solo then that's great, but I enjoy playing with friends and have experienced so many memorable experiences that no other game I've played could possibly provide. There's a huge sense of satisfaction when you and your group manage to come out on top after exchanging gunfire with other geared groups of combatants. This isn't the only way to play the game, but its my preferred play style that keeps me entertained on a nightly basis. This said, to comment on current topic, I feel that private servers are great for people who want to rp and and avoid a lot of dupers and server hoppers while public servers tend to lend themselves towards faster gearing and more PvP. After investing enough hours in this game, people should know what to expect at this point. Outside of cherno/elektro/military zones, Kos can be annoying as all hell but personally the decision usually comes down to if they are toting a gun in their hands or not. I'll give a person a chance to talk but if I see them pull out a gun as I say hi, odds are I'm going to end the conversation early by ending their life. If they are running with gun out, I might just let them go but if I'm going to be going to a town or area they are heading towards, its usually too much of a risk letting them go. Morale of the story, don't run with guns out unless you're prepared to be shot on sight because talking to strangers is sketchy enough as is.

Edited by Woodenbullets
  • Like 1

Either reduce the number of servers and force more people on a server, i find there's way too many empty servers around as loot havens, and as for server hopping - if every server was private, you'd negate server hopping completely.

It still bugs me the way people hate KoS, it's a survival game, if you have something i want i'm going to kill you and take it, no ifs, no buts.Don't see why we should have to stop an play the game your boring passive PvE way.

Edited by Aj90lfc
  • Like 2

Just to get back to my original point: I'm not against KOS, I do it myself when I feel the other person is a threat, but I don't shoot just anyone I see for the "fun" of it. More often, I've let people walk, either because I had no reason to engage them (I'm fully geared most of the time), or I just didn't want to get involved and give away my position. That can get back at you, as those people may become a threat later, but I like to take my chances. I've never shot at a guy with a bow or crossbow, I've never shot at anyone driving a bus...

My point is really that I dislike groups, who camp certain areas, respawn there on different servers and make it impossible to use any tactics you'd find in a comparable real-life situation. It's not impossible to approach the airfield carefully, scout your way up to the tents and keep hidden, while studying the surrounding for enemies and listen for shots fired. It is impossible however, to prepare against groups, which spawn in your back or inside an empty building (which you checked/cleared a few minutes ago). It just makes me sad this is possible, because it nullifies all the time spent on preparing to raid such high-risk places. If there was no spawning possible in the high-risk zones, there would be better encounters and less server-hopping - is basically the entire point I wanted to make. Sure, it would make them less attractive as camping grounds for groups that are already perfectly geared up, but it would give those people a chance to find something on a crowded server that take the risk upon them to go there, in the first place. 

For fucks sakes stop talking about it. Thats all I want. There are carebear games out there to play. Go do it. Stop whining about it. Seven, you constantly say things that you "think" game should be. It's not your game. It's the devs game. They will fix it if and when they desire.

I basically only play exp, and since there is no new one, I don't play. I die from bullets, glitches and other assorted bullshit. But. I. Don't. Cry.

Best thing to do is go play a private shard. Actually, that is the ONLY answer to this problem as of right now. I don't want to hate anyone here, but I'm a grown ass man and I get tired of the constant whining about it. 

BTW, I didn't know you could use crowbars to break apart double tires. Pretty cool.

• Like 2

Ok, but can we make them back to "double"? I could swear I saw that somewhere

That's great to know about the crowbar and double tires.

Last night in cherno was a lot of fun. Had a few buddies and we are kitted out with blaze, sporter, and augs and ready for some cherno pvp in a high pop. Spawn in across on the harbor and we're scoping out the town through hunter scopes trying to spot the source of the gunfire. Only a few mins later we hear a reloading sound. Budy and myself jump up to do a quick sweep just in time to catch a guy with a fal starting to move and budy rushes him putting both blaze chambers into him and managing to not catch any of the guys panicked return fire. Going over to see what's worth taking on the body the thought "he might have a friend" came to my mind right before a spray of said friends Aug put us both down. Last chance of getting our gear is with third friend who unpins a grenade but gets shot in the process. Manage to get back but its too late. Only stuff left is a sporter with a mag, Aug with a few shots left, and a blaze with the 2 chambered bullets, scopes removed. Only 2 of us managed to get back so we grab the guns and decided to go on into town anyways. Hearing a fal and ak shots on the distance we do a sweep in the industrial area and find somebody hiding inside the statue and we both dove right in and managed to push the smug talking guy out just long enough to empty the blaze into him, breaking his legs and making a fountain out if him next to the bambies he had most likely killed earlier. He passes out before he is able to crawl back in. I grab the Winchester off him and give my friend my blaze and split the ammo with him. Still hearing shots nearby I take shelter inside the tech building and other friend finally made it back to cherno and I give him the sporter. I go upstairs and I hear him having a shootout with somebody and by the time I get downstairs, he's got broken legs and closing the door behind him. Guy with a red nine seems to be winning. We all meet up in stairwell where we start patching him up with the morphine and saline statue boy had on him and he calls out that we've got company. We all spread out and soon as door opens I can see him trying to hide behind the door from my angle and I put a 308 through the door and he feels it. Not sure if it was panic or just not realizing that he wasn't alone but he rounded the door and rushed in, catching bullets from 3 directions till his body was limp on the floor. I quickly ran back upstairs to check apartments because I had seen a smoke grenade go off in it before the intruder had a go at us and luck is on my side. I see a ballistic helm in the top floor and right before I take the shot, he raises his hands. Boom, he goes out of site into the room then there he us again. Must have missed so losing element of surprise, I go center mass on next shot. No sight of him anymore so I'm thinking I might have gun zeroed in wrong. Friend with Aug charges in while I keep an eye on the guys door and then it happens...the dreaded "no message received" flashes on the screen. Budy runs in and reports that he found my target. Two bodies, one with a bullet to the head and other with a bullet to the chest. Great news to end what started off as a not so good night of PvP.

Great game devs! Keep it coming :)

Edited by Woodenbullets

2. As long there is no missions/purpose of you being in Chernarus the only "mission" will be KOS. You don´t gain anything being friendly. I tried in the beginning but just ended up dead. If you can´t beat them, join them.

This is completely wrong and one of the reasons why things are so bad that they are. If you don't like it, change it.

It doesnt have anything to do with beating anyone at all as this is not really a competitive game. Theres no kill counter, nobody cares about your "Epic kills". Its about the adventure you as a player have while playing the game. And I'm not going to say that its not exciting to have a firefight with someone, it is. The most excitement you can have in this game is when someone is trying to kill you and you are fighting for survival. But just shooting everyone you see for no reason is not exciting. Its meaningless.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 3

...those arrows, hahahah

You write "it seems" - did you get your bus unstuck and how long did it take?

Suggestion: In the future, only allow to "get in driver seat" + "enter as passenger" at the front door. Every time I have to fiddle with "inventory", even though I just want to drive (obvious when you enter in front). Make the inventory approachable only from the sides (like a real bus) and passengers can get in everywhere. 90% of the time I want to get in a bus I end up in its inventory.

Yes we got it unstuck, took us about an hour though :D

• Like 1

I basically only play exp, and since there is no new one, I don't play. I die from bullets, glitches and other assorted bullshit. But. I. Don't. Cry.

You have never ever tried to improve the game either. I'm giving feedback on my experience, which is probably too much, too often, but I like these forums. I'm not a carebear, I don't know how you got that impression. I just don't want Dayz to go the way of the mods (or other games), as the standalone was meant to be different. There are a lot of cool features the devs thought of - but they are mostly details, so far. The overall gameplay balance is still in kindergarten (CLE is a start to change that). I'm also interested in modding the game, so I'm looking for features that will make it easier to work on a mod, once the tools are released.   

• Like 2

This is completely wrong and one of the reasons why things are so bad that they are. If you don't like it, change it.

It doesnt have anything to do with beating anyone at all as this is not really a competitive game. Theres no kill counter, nobody cares about your "Epic kills". Its about the adventure you as a player have while playing the game. And I'm not going to say that its not exciting to have a firefight with someone, it is. The most excitement you can have in this game is when someone is trying to kill you and you are fighting for survival. But just shooting everyone you see for no reason is not exciting. Its meaningless.

I think that it needs to be said is that people, however many there are, who basically always KOS like me don't do it because we hate other people or because we're just nasty human beings. People like me do it because right now in the current point in development there's little else that's even remotely interesting, challenging, or engaging as fighting other players. 

The more boring and easy DayZ is as a survival game, the more I'll find my personal thrill in killing other players and the risks that are associated with that. 

And it's certainly no less meaningless than wandering around assembling a sedan. After all... 

mxu0Ogz.jpg?1

But, there are no risks involved. Its like drowning kittens in a barrel or kick old ladies in the back out in the street. Its not even fighting when you dont give people a chance.

The only times A player like me ever get a chance to actually defend ourselves against this stupid behaviour is when the KOS:er is so inept that he either shows himself early or misses his shots.

And I don't see the point of it at all. If the game is so uninteresting that you have to kill everyone you meet without even trying to make it an interesting encounter, why even play this game? Cant you at least pretend?

I have played this game for about 1500 hours and Ive probably been killed at least 200 times. Very few of these deaths have been memorable but the ones I remember most vividly is the ones where my killers have actually made the whole act somewhat interesting, like the time me and two other guys were rounded up in a barn and forced to answer riddles to see who got to live. Totally sadistic and evil but fun. And another time a guy came to me in balota claiming his friend was beign held captive in Kamyshovo, the friend told his captors we were coming and they held him til we came and tried to rescue him together. Or the time I got to prison island and some guys kept a guy locked in a cell there, dressed in a prison uniform and all, lol! And all this was with people I had never met before but since they could do something else rather than just kill everyone they met the meetings became something special.

If you look at videos on youtube from the mod these things seemed to happen quite often but now its just kill,kill,kill.

• Like 1

But, there are no risks involved. Its like drowning kittens in a barrel or kick old ladies in the back out in the street. Its not even fighting when you dont give people a chance.

Every time you engage an enemy, there's a risk. A risk that somebody hears the shot and comes to investigate, the risk that your target has nearby friends that you don't know about, the risk that you miss him and he retaliates unexpectedly...of course there's risk in fighting other people. It's ridiculous to say there isn't risk to fighting other people

A player like me ever get a chance to actually defend ourselves against this stupid behaviour is when the KOS:er is so inept that he either shows himself early or misses his shots.

It's not stupid behavior. Just because you don't like it as much as I might or somebody else might doesn't mean it's stupid. Wandering around saying hello to strangers in a video game is hardly the passion of scholars. It doesn't make anybody more or less intelligent or well rounded if they want to play a game to shoot players for the thrill. I don't ride a roller coaster to talk to the lift operator about his fucking feelings. I get on a roller coaster for the thrill of riding a roller coaster. 

If the game is so uninteresting that you have to kill everyone you meet without even trying to make it an interesting encounter, why even play this game? Cant you at least pretend?

Because killing everybody is fun. If it's not fun to you, then...I dunno...go and talk to people and look for tires. . I think running around in a post apocalyptic Soviet satellite state filled with zombies and angry survivors is a pretty fun thing to pretend to do in a video game. But if you want to run around and talk to people, you don't even have to pretend. Oh, joy! Go down to Starbucks or whatever you Swedes have and talk to people. It works both ways. Can I pretend to kill people? Sure. Can I do it in a video game? Yea, I can. And that's far more thrilling and fun. Can I do it in real life? Yes, but some might consider that socially improper. 

I have around 914 hours in this game and talking to people isn't interesting anymore. I've done plenty of it. Meh. It's boring. It's dull. People are generally boring and dull. I've already made my friends and I don't want any more. And I don't play DayZ to count down the seconds until somebody decides to stab me in the back because I didn't shoot him right off the bat and instead said Hello.

I have played this game for about 1500 hours and Ive probably been killed at least 200 times. Very few of these deaths have been memorable but the ones I remember most vividly is the ones where my killers have actually made the whole act somewhat interesting...

I don't play DayZ to remember my player deaths or even my kills. I play DayZ so that in the moments that I do fight somebody or am tense that I could be attacked, there's a very in-the-heat-of-the-moment sensation that no other game can replicate for me. I don't play DayZ for the memories. I play it because I want to have fun with my friends and enjoy myself. Memories are byproducts.

If you look at videos on youtube from the mod these things seemed to happen quite often but now its just kill,kill,kill.

That's because the game isn't done and killing people is the only thing that's remotely interesting. And if you don't like how much killing is central to an unfinished WIP DayZ...well, can't you just pretend it's not?

• Like 1

I think that it needs to be said is that people, however many there are, who basically always KOS like me don't do it because we hate other people or because we're just nasty human beings. People like me do it because right now in the current point in development there's little else that's even remotely interesting, challenging, or engaging as fighting other players. 

The more boring and easy DayZ is as a survival game, the more I'll find my personal thrill in killing other players and the risks that are associated with that. 

And it's certainly no less meaningless than wandering around assembling a sedan. After all...

I am sometimes puzzled by the provocative way you bring matters across, but you are pretty much spot on - although we might draw different ideas from that. Because there is little other challenge, I would love to see the survival part and an individual skills part expanded (not the 20% better at a skill everyone has) - basically challenges and ideas apart from PvP, because for a mere PvP shooter, the map is a waste of space, the time till combat too long. I would love to see PvP to be reduced to an element amongst many. 

• Like 3

So I just downloaded the 323.5 KB update today and my anti-virus is blocking it because it apparently contains a Trojan.Gen.SHM. Did anyone else get this? I'm using Norton by the way.