boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

Cooking pots appear as empty vessels and can't be picked up - only emptied..

I ate a can of tactical bacon and it didn't drop any empty tin can or put one in my inv - not sure how else to boil water lol..

You don't have to boil water for anything right now. I don't even bother to purify it and unless I'm a fresh spawn and low on health, I don't drink from wells, but from rivers and lakes. Haven't gotten sick by doing that, since stable 0.58 (and I was at low health, then).

If you're talking about cooking meat and using water in the pot that's right - I think it's supposed to work with lard too, but something at least needs to be in the pot, other than just the meat. I prefer cooking on a stick - it's more fun. You can make a fire barrel, though (poke holes in barrel with axe/knife, put fireplace inside, light up and put pot on top) or make a stone oven (needs pickaxe to harvest big stones) or put up a tripod and cook in the pot over a campfire. 

Still, I see geared players not wearing helmets in favour of berets and stuff every now and then. I guess it's for quick identification of teammates, but without a helmet a bambi could sneak up and knock you out with their bare fists.

Honestly when I see anyone wearing a helmet something inside me says "this guys trouble".

It just seems that if you're sporting a helmet of any kind then your ready (or most likely looking) for combat. So I personally almost never use a helmet unless I'm going into a situation where I foresee combat.

And even then I'll never throw on a motorcycle helmet. Those things scream bandit to me haha.

• Like 2

Have they updated + increased the spawns on virtually everything in the game, or am I just continously lucky? First I found another barrel when I was actually on my way to get a tent. Then I went aimlessly up towards the north and not 5 minutes later came across some deer (group of 2). Shot the first, somehow managed to miss the second (AKS-U isn't that great for hunting ^^), but followed it and found it a little while later. While it was still doing its animations, it seemed stuck within a ~ 400 meter radius from where I shot. Or maybe it got stuck inbetween those haystacks, anyway I could just walk up to it and give it a headshot with the silenced 1911. 

I also tried painting stuff black and you can indeed paint the entire AKS74-U, as well as the magazines for it! It looks at least twice as dangerous that way ;)

2015-12-28_00014_zpsk9vqib0l.jpg

2015-12-28_00016_zpsbdweaekw.jpg

2015-12-28_00019_zpsdjxuofm4.jpg

2015-12-28_00020_zpso3giu9mx.jpg

2015-12-28_00021_zpscdlyg5qt.jpg

Does anybody know, if there are black balaclavas (?) in the game? I don't like that skull bandana, but I'm working on an all black character and it's the closest, so far. 

Edited by S3V3N

Honestly when I see anyone wearing a helmet something inside me says "this guys trouble".

It just seems that if you're sporting a helmet of any kind then your ready (or most likely looking) for combat. So I personally almost never use a helmet unless I'm going into a situation where I foresee combat.

And even then I'll never throw on a motorcycle helmet. Those things scream bandit to me haha.

someone I've traded with has said that he usually kills anyone wearing a cowboy hat on sight.  I always rock a cowboy hat, because... I can. :thumbsup:

to me, anyone I wasn't expecting is trouble.  doesn't matter what he's wearing.

Does anybody know, if there are black balaclavas (?) in the game? I don't like that skull bandana, but I'm working on an all black character and it's the closest, so far. 

yep they're in-game.  I have one now.  nope, I'm not trading it (unless I find a 2nd one).

I wear helmets for trying to survive a headshot heh. I don't sport them because I'm looking to cause trouble. In a world with people who KOS for no reason, it's best to be prepared I say.

If you let someone get close enough to hit you in the head with any melee weapon, you should get knocked out. A sharpened, pointy stick should easily do the trick. The melee system is a little finicky so I try not to even do it unless I have to.

• Like 2

Anyone else having sound issues? I'm using the Corsair Raptor HS40 headset (USB version) and unlike any other game, DayZ's zombie sounds aren't positional.

Like, I'll hear a zombie, turn - and the sound turns with me. If I don't turn at all the sound comes from the zombie (afai can tell) but if I turn the sound doesn't update at ALL it just plays-

from the exact same direction/intensity regardless of where the zombie it originated from is.

• Like 1

Anyone else having sound issues? I'm using the Corsair Raptor HS40 headset (USB version) and unlike any other game, DayZ's zombie sounds aren't positional.

Like, I'll hear a zombie, turn - and the sound turns with me. If I don't turn at all the sound comes from the zombie (afai can tell) but if I turn the sound doesn't update at ALL it just plays-

from the exact same direction/intensity regardless of where the zombie it originated from is.

The zombie sounds have been messed up since I've been playing so it's not your headset. It bugs the hell out of me too.

• Like 2

someone I've traded with has said that he usually kills anyone wearing a cowboy hat on sight.  I always rock a cowboy hat, because... I can. :thumbsup: -snip-

I wear helmets for trying to survive a headshot heh. I don't sport them because I'm looking to cause trouble. In a world with people who KOS for no reason, it's best to be prepared I say. -snip-

It's funny how we all regard helmets and hats differently.

I actually find the motorbike helmets to be quite nonthreatening because they are usually the first or second helmet a low geared character wears.

What I do find threatening is heavily geared players NOT wearing helmets. I just feel like they are likely to be part of a group, or someone who think's they're too good for helmets. In both cases, probably someone who will kill on sight.

I personally wear a helmet at all times for the little protection they provide against a headshot, and so I can't just be easily knocked out with a punch, etc.

I actually find the motorbike helmets to be quite nonthreatening because they are usually the first or second helmet a low geared character wears.

What I do find threatening is heavily geared players NOT wearing helmets. I just feel like they are likely to be part of a group, or someone who think's they're too good for helmets. In both cases, probably someone who will kill on sight.

I personally wear a helmet at all times for the little protection they provide against a headshot, and so I can't just be easily knocked out with a punch, etc.

most of the hostile people I run into aim for my legs.  it's why I don't bother with a helmet, and why the ammo they're trying to kill me for is in the first slot of my pants. :-p

• Like 1

I really wonder about the helmet's protection. Headshots do 20000 damage with the more regularly used weapons, so how effective is a helmet? Do the bullets bounce off, if they hit it at an angle and is the front of a Gorka helmet (with visor) actually more protective than the back? 

I'm kind of a fashion victim, so most of the time I run around with my black cap, because Gorka Helmets look slightly stupid with most outfits. When I go looting high risk areas however, I put on a Gorka helmet and stuff my pockets with useless items to absorb more damage. I'm always pissed when I get shotgunned and survive, but all my clothes are ruined. I started keeping secondary outfits in my camp, which is a waste of storage, realistically speaking. But you've got to look sharp in the post-apocalypse ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

But you've got to look sharp in the post-apocalypse ;)

Thats and the clonky damage system is why i dont wear helmets anymore.

Wanna get invited to the zelenogorsk fashion week :*

• Like 1

I started rebuilding "Camp Friendly" on a server where basically nobody replies to direct VOIP and I've been shot at, during every single encounter. It's an experiment to see, if people will accept a trade zone and a place to hangout/chat or cook some food together. The rules are the same as on the experimental server: announce yourself before entering, no weapons (except melee/tools) are allowed in the tents and no ammo is, either. So far this is the setup (I'll add more to it):

2015-12-29_00004_zpsred3soda.jpg

2015-12-29_00002_zpsaktv24ij.jpg

2015-12-29_00003_zpsq5yxe7nb.jpg

It's not as pretty as the one on experimental, but I figured a church is a good place to start it all. I can't seem to find any pen and remember there being a lot of them. Probably just lack of luck. I really wonder, how people will react to it. Of course I keep my own "Camp Hobo" as well. I find my playstyle changed a lot to a more territorial way of playing. First I build my camp in one area, then I start another one and build that one up and later keep travelling between the two. I'm still roaming the map, but not in its entirety and I haven't seen the coast in weeks :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Has anyone had a chance to do proper testing of the bow in the 0.59? I've heard it's useless now :(

Edited by Arduras

Came back after a 3-4 month break. Are animals out or just too rare? Clocked in about two hours so I can't say I've covered the whole map, but usually I would stumble upon a deer or boar.

Came back after a 3-4 month break. Are animals out or just too rare? Clocked in about two hours so I can't say I've covered the whole map, but usually I would stumble upon a deer or boar.

I shot some deer up in the north at a small creek yesterday. So they are still in and so far I always found them near water. However, I wasn't looking for deer and was surprised by the opportunity. I haven't seen boars (or even just chicken) this patch, yet. 

I played some 1p tonight and had weird bugs. First I broke my legs in the last row of apartments (adjacent to the soccer field) in Berezino; ruined my boots, badly damaged the pants. Don't go in the left/outer apartment! Then I found a chest holster and picked it up, but I couldn't put the Glock into it. When I tried to force it into the holster by blocking it's space in my inventory, the Glock disappeared. I searched all around the house and the one I went to before, reconnected and searched again, but it was gone. Later, I found a mag for a glock and another pistol in Bere's police station, but I was low on inventory and tried to drag it right onto my pistol in the inventory (add as attachment showed up). However, it didn't get loaded and when I reconnected the magazine was gone. I ran back to the police station, only to find more Glocks and one of them actually had a magazine with 10 shots in it (curious). I couldn't pick it up though. I punched the walls, closed the doors, but I guess that pistol wasn't really there. It was only a minute after I re-logged, so it's quite improbable that someone got killed and dropped it there.

Later I had no problem adding the new (empty) Glock to the chest holster, so I'm quite puzzled by whatever happened the first time. I've had that pistol all day and killed a lot of zombies with it. It's a cool little thing, my new favorite!

---

I also experimented a bit with fishing and cooking. It seems weird how the fish doesn't really turn overcooked in the pot, but it does seem to get cooked (there are "stripes/cuts" on the scale side when the fish isn't raw any more) When I cooked on a stick I let it go really dark and ate it and got food poisoning. I tried wearing it off, but in the end took some charcoal tablets, beause it took so long and my screen was grey. I'm sure there was some more stuff that didn't really work for me, but I don't remember. I remember trying to "bury ashes" of a fire with a pickaxe and despite getting the prompt it didn't work (I guess it might be, because I used big stones to make a fireplace and could not remove them, until the fire had completely gone out); it kept telling me "something is still left in the fire" or a similar message.

I still had fun, but guns glitching away and legs broken for no reason are bad, mkay?! I'm hyped by the amount of infected. I fired a shotgun in town, to check if I could use alternate fire mode with it and had to fend for my life, as there were around 15 zombies coming from all directions. They all did the same swing attack, though. I looked all over for a hunting scope, but found none and all the PU scopes I found were damaged (4 or 5). Maybe they should add a few more "worn" scopes to the mix. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Anyone else been having this really bad server lag? If I'm on a certain server the most frames I'll get is 30 in the open and ill get around 10 in cities (this happens with my base server and some others) However, if I join a different server, the frames are fine and I get like 60-70 in the open and 30-40 in the cities! My friend said it was just my GPU overheating but I really doubt that since I can simply switch from one server to another and my performance will change dramatically. I also just played for like 6 hours straight with a steady frame rate on a good server. Could it be something with persistence or is it just ping or server lag? Because I'm pretty sure I used to be able to play at great fps in my base server but just recently it's hard for me to get over 20 anywhere in that server. In servers like Pimpsy's or CORE, i get great fps.

Too rare. Much too rare. The only animal I've killed since the update is cows, which I saw each time at one of the groups of houses just west of Severograd. I saw 2 deer sprinting at like 100mph today, so I couldn't do much. Cows are pretty common I think though, I've killed at least 6 since the update and seen even more than that.

• Like 2

The alternate fire mode of the Vintorez doesn't work, I've wasted two stacks of ammo trying it out (single tapping T, double tapping T). I'm gonna try, if alternate fire works on Blaze and Shotgun. I also had odd results with the silencing of the VSS. I fired at a zombie that was ~150 m away and killed it with a few shots. Then I had two more zombies running to me from about the same distance and different directions. I then got into a building and shot the walls and even though there was a zombie not more than 50 meters away, there was no reaction. So it seems it does account from where you fire and where you hit. Odd. 

The pistols on the other hand work as advertised with a silencer. I shot zombies right next to other zombies and had no problem getting swarmed. The silencer on the pistol seems to work, fine. Wonder why it doesn't on the rifles. I've actually read here that someone said the VSS works fine silenced and isn't audible to zombies, but to players. I've not made this experience. 

Edited by S3V3N

What happened to the NE Airfield and Clock Tower?? I mean honestly, I remember when NEAF was THE place to go if you wanted a good pistol with some ammo! Now there's just... what... a cooking pot there? And since when was the clock tower solely inhabited by firefighters? You can't find jack squat in that damn building anymore! REALLY missing the activity in these places because they were the sites of some of my most intense and favorite encounters in DayZ to date.

What happened to the NE Airfield and Clock Tower?? I mean honestly, I remember when NEAF was THE place to go if you wanted a good pistol with some ammo! Now there's just... what... a cooking pot there? And since when was the clock tower solely inhabited by firefighters? You can't find jack squat in that damn building anymore! REALLY missing the activity in these places because they were the sites of some of my most intense and favorite encounters in DayZ to date.

Funny, I've just been there today and thought the same. I used to go to the Clock Tower to get the engraved 1911, which used to be a solid spawn there during 0.56-0.57. Today I found 6 firefighter helmets and at least a pristine axe (which I lost again soon, forgetting to check my back after chopping wood...); both of those places are completely dead, though people still occasionally wander across the airfield, but only because they are on their way to a police station...

---

What really grinds my gears ;) is that I died AGAIN in another apartment house. I was fully equipped and had just found a silencer and a number of Glock mags in Nowodmitrovsk's police station/police car. I was really happy and thought: all I need now, is a tent. The first two rows of apartment houses I could enter without a problem, but upon leaving the last building down at the road, I got instakilled when stepping onto the stairs (outside). That's exactly the same location (on the stairs) that damn near got me killed in Berezino yesterday. I was puzzled. Spawned again and ran there in under 20 minutes, disregarding health and hunger. Of course my body was gone. Since I had nothing to lose I went up and down those stairs and those of the other buildings I had entered - and nothing happened at all. Well, found a car on the way back to camp that only needed refueling, so at least I got something from it...

The only thing those two incidents have in common is that I was pretty heavily geared both times. I didn't have more than 1 or 2 free inventory slots and wore the mountain backpack both times. The second time (the one that killed me), I was wearing slippers, instead of heavy boots. Perhaps my wellies saved me yesterday. This issue needs sorting out. Strange enough, it happened both times on a 1p server and not on the 3p, which I usually play on. And I get lots of tents in Novaya Petrovka and didn't have any problems there. Only in Berezino and Nowodmitrovsk, so far. 

I also noticed the car tents seems to have a kind of invisible border where the entrance is. If the car tent isn't placed on completely flat ground or facing down towards you, the car has trouble entering. With the offroader that's not much of a problem, but I can imagine it is with the sedan. 

Edited by S3V3N

guess that's down to "loot zones", which I am not a friend of either, forcing everyone towards NWAF.

• Like 2

I had a field day in Dayz today. Most of the time I was just blazing about in the 4x4, taking all those forest roads and feeling like a rallye driver. Then I got the car stuck behind an apartment building... (I parked to pick up - you guessed it - tents!). Don't park behind these buildings, you can get stuck on the balconies and it is a pain getting the car out. When I finally had it out the spare tire wouldn't let itself attach any more (not even after rejoining). And it was stuck again...this time, I don't even know what on; I felled all the trees around it, but that wasn't the problem. Removing all wheels, relogging and putting them on helped. Of course I managed to ruin a tire later and didn't have a spare...

2015-12-30_00019_zpstnccdmcr.jpg

I'm playing on 1p again, since frankly I was just hoarding guns on the 3p server and people were shooting at me all the time. 1p isn't as crowded, but I had the best conversation ever in a video game :)

I have a new character for my roleplaying addiction: A-Robot. It's a bit like Fallout humor. And today a guy came by my (public) camp and I talked to him:

Me: "Hello Hooman, I am A-Robot"

he: "Wow that's a pretty good robot impression!"

Me:"Thank you for complimenting A-Robot."

he: "Your welcome!"

Me: "Would you like to make out with A-Robot?"

he: "Hell no!!!"

Me:"A-Robot is fully programmed to supply satisfaction to puny humans."

At this point I burst out laughing and we both laughed. It was impossible to get back into character, so we continued to chat. It turned out he wants to move on, while I needed to take care of the camp. He returned a little while later to add another barrel to the camp, but then moved on for good. I guess I didn't see the last of him, but I actually forgot to ask his name. He also appeared to have the barrel sticking first to his arse and then to his dick, which gave me extra giggles:

2015-12-29_00010_zpsmmqmfzee.jpg

2015-12-29_00012_zpsfw9qcjoj.jpg

Here are the camp's message and a picture of A-Robot (when I'm at the public camp I leave the big guns elsewhere, as to not provoke anyone):

2015-12-30_00023_zpsk9bdgvbn.jpg

2015-12-30_00020_zps7sbpojjt.jpg

Nurse Danger was great fun, but A-Robot is really friendly fun and doesn't try to shoot people just to heal the shit out of them. I keep thinking I need to record this shit, but I don't want to compromise my frames and don't really know how shadowplay and that stuff works. I'm getting the most joy out of the game when I'm actually not shooting anyone :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Anyone else been having this really bad server lag? If I'm on a certain server the most frames I'll get is 30 in the open and ill get around 10 in cities (this happens with my base server and some others) However, if I join a different server, the frames are fine and I get like 60-70 in the open and 30-40 in the cities! My friend said it was just my GPU overheating but I really doubt that since I can simply switch from one server to another and my performance will change dramatically. I also just played for like 6 hours straight with a steady frame rate on a good server. Could it be something with persistence or is it just ping or server lag? Because I'm pretty sure I used to be able to play at great fps in my base server but just recently it's hard for me to get over 20 anywhere in that server. In servers like Pimpsy's or CORE, i get great fps.

I read somwhere that the Arma engine has a rather strange system that throttle the frames from players on servers that are under strain. I've also noticed this particular problem and the strange difference between servers. One thing that to a very large extent throttles performance is the loot spawned. When lootsplosions were common the amount of loot would bog down the game to an almost unplayable regard and even crashing it at times.

• Like 1