robophant

[Poll] Official servers 1pp only

Official servers 1pp only?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Official servers 1pp only?

ANd THEN THE GREAT ANd MIGHTY HICKS SAId: "LET THEM HAVE BANANA"

(my "d" key does not work. So I had to copy/paste it, thats why its lowercase, lol)

Couldn't you have used the capital D in your name?

• Like 2

This change would just cause traffic to decrease on official servers. If 1pp servers aren't popular now how would having more of them increase their popularity? Hint, it wouldn't.

To increase 1pp popularity fix the problems keeping people from playing it (e.g. performance, player controller, melee, midget camera, no PiP, etc.)

I think the idea of making the official servers 1pp was to make that the most likely first experience for any new players who might buy the game after the actual final release.  The existing 1pp will need some fixes for sure.  People would be right to flame the hell out of this game if the default view precluded players from being able to see out of most windows in a somewhat normal fashion.

I think the idea of making the official servers 1pp was to make that the most likely first experience for any new players who might buy the game after the actual final release.  The existing 1pp will need some fixes for sure.  People would be right to flame the hell out of this game if the default view precluded players from being able to see out of most windows in a somewhat normal fashion.

that pretty much is the biggest issue of 1pp right now.

It's arma 2 all over again, where you can't shoot out of windows or sand-bunkers properly. Not even a way to use a bipod on a window-frame. If they don't fix it, it will be a pain in the butt like it was in arma

Edited by robophant

What I've taken from this poll, the one from Reddit and a thread on the Steam forum is that although what seems to be the majority prefer 1PP, 3PP server's are still more populated. Where are all the Hardcore players playing then?

We are playing on the 3pp servers with other people, because social gaming is way more fun than running around alone, albeit fully immersed in the character.

Just yesterday, in fact, I exploited 3pp from the top of Elektro firehouse to safely take out a guy in the building across the street.  And after getting creatively and hilariously admonished by Pilgrim and B4gel for having the audacity to come on these forums and attempt to make a factual argument with supporting evidence, I seem to have lost some of my hardcore-ness. I didn't immediately feel like a cheater for having killed the guy, but rather felt good for having accomplished a textbook DayZ rekking.

^

myth confirmed.

3pp makes you better at DayZ

;D

and for those who say it's too hard to find a server, just click the align by server type in browser, until you see 1st Person at the top of the list.  Then you can join the server.

I play on 40player servers and rarely see anyone.  Doesn't sound like much of a game changer to me if joining an empty server is keeping you guys away.  As so many of the 1pp crowd look down on the PvP KoS scum and see PvE and environment interaction as some panacea, and acknowledge that 99% of the community is just out for your blood, what purpose would a populated server server provide but for you to shoot people without also being able to see your character? 

Also not sure how enforcing official servers to 1pp will ensure a first experience 1pp play unless they code it in that you can only join official (1pp) servers for a given period of time, because the option to join 3pp servers will still be there.  Why reduce the option for 3pp players to use official servers too?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I play on 40player servers and rarely see anyone.  Doesn't sound like much of a game changer to me if joining an empty server is keeping you guys away.  As so many of the 1pp crowd look down on the PvP KoS scum and see PvE and environment interaction as some panacea, and acknowledge that 99% of the community is just out for your blood, what purpose would a populated server server provide but for you to shoot people without also being able to see your character?

I play full servers exclusively because I don't enjoy the game if I'm not in constant fear of being shot.

I have never got the impression that the 1pp crowd look down on PvP, the only popular 1pp server in Europe right now has a very strong squad play/PvP focus.

Edited by B4GEL
  • Like 1

Even though i am certain that 1pp adds to the realism and atmosphere of being alone in a dangerous, big world where everyone wants to get the jump on you to kill or rob or torture you,

1pp makes me get headaches and sick after a while, and my eyes start to hurt because of the headbob you can't turn off and the laggy movement when starting/stopping to move

if 1pp would be forced on official servers, which are the best imo, i wouldn't be able to play on them anymore

if they'd fix the first person camera to not be directly attached to the head, so that there is no intense shaking from left to right while running, i'd be happy with it, but not the way the camera is right now

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

... my eyes start to hurt because of the headbob you can't turn off ..

You can turn off headbob. (use in gameplay the slider)

Edited by NoCheats
  • Like 1

I did. Still makes me nauseous after 5 minutes of running around.

that pretty much is the biggest issue of 1pp right now.

It's arma 2 all over again, where you can't shoot out of windows or sand-bunkers properly. Not even a way to use a bipod on a window-frame. If they don't fix it, it will be a pain in the butt like it was in arma

So what you are saying is that in 1pp you cant shoot out windows properly...but 3pp fixes that issue?

So what you are saying is that in 1pp you cant shoot out windows properly...but 3pp fixes that issue?

You can't see out of windows. Have you not noticed the midget cam? Have you ever driven a vehicle in 1PP, perhaps?

Dude type in Dayz underground next time your on. Awsome server, some of them are too friendly for my liking but i have a character that's been alive 9 days and has 14 kills under his belt. Some thing that would just not happen for me in 3PP

Even though I agree with a lot of what you said prior, it sounds like all you really want is a level and polished PvP experience which is much more easily found in 1,000 polished FPS games currently available.

If all you really care about are the fire fights and player kill count, you'll find way better games with more competition elsewhere. (Try BF4)

Eventually scarcity and countless other factors might make Vanilla DayZ unappealing for you.

I hope scarce ammo and increased (hordes eventually) and improved infected decimate the PvP only player community and either force them to adapt or just leave en masse.

One thing I LOVE is that the revolving door PvP community in DayZ just keeps pumping money into this survival game.

The door is definitely going to hit them in the ass on the way out (or into a mod).

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

Nah, it's more a general pain-in-the-butt. But at least in 3pp you can headglitch through walls or use 3pp to look out without being seen :D

• Like 1

I did. Still makes me nauseous after 5 minutes of running around.

Stairs make some people tired after a couple of flights, that's why we have elevators.  Airplanes mess with some people's sinus pressure so severely that they must travel by train or by boat.  Some people don't like all of the noise and constant light in cities, good thing there are still rural areas.

I'm actually leaning against making ALL official servers 1pp now, because it would be unfair to the minority of people with individual concerns or medical issues that make 1pp an absolute no-go for them.

I am still in favor of making the vast majority of official servers 1pp, if that is the desired basic experience being sought by the developers.  I'm thinking it would work out similarly to how newly constructed college classroom buildings are designed to strongly encourage the use of stairs, but still provide ramps and elevators for those who prefer, or need to use them.

Apologies in advance if my use, or choice of analogies has offended anyone.

• Like 1

@Hicks_206

"The thought has crossed my mind to make the Official DayZ servers all 1PP - leave the community the option to run theirs 3PP if they want" ~Brian Hicks

You like?

If Hicks goal is to drive the entire player-base -5% to private shards, then yes.

Otherwise, it would hurt sales and destroy the public shard. Hard cold facts are 1PP is a super small group of players and forcing the public shard to play 1PP will only hurt DayZ in mores ways than one.

• Like 2

I'd totally prefer 1pp if zombies went back to making sounds when they charged.

no you can't completely turn it off, you are still shaking left and right even when headbob is off

no you can't completely turn it off, you are still shaking left and right even when headbob is off

Well that shaking is sooo minimal that you ca barely see it. That's likely related how much the head is actually moving in movement.

As long as there is ghosting, serverhopping and loot farming on official servers, this discussion is pretty obsolete.

I play both styles, but only on private servers.

• Like 1

Well that shaking is sooo minimal that you ca barely see it. That's likely related how much the head is actually moving in movement.

yeah well some people get motion sickness/vertigo on slightly rocking boats or going down elevators and i can't comprehend their ailment either, but it still seems to be a problem for those people ;P

AFAIK about PC motion sickness it's the movement on screen that causes a disconnect with the brain, which knows it is stationary, but the eyes are givin an input saying something else.  Brain freaks out, panick stations red alert, red baloons fly into the sky and everyone has a really bad time.  I'd assume that having a wider FOV means your eyes aren't focussing as hard on specifics so the input is dampened, and the issue is lessened / resolved.

Still, this issue is likely something that can be patched to solve a lot of people's problems, but unlikely to satisfy every person with motion sickness.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

I've been playing a lot on the 0.59 exp 1pp 75 man server the last few days and I must say its been a lot more immersive than the 3pp experience. I do agree however that making it the norm would chase a lot of people away. Its a bit sad as the game is much better in 1pp. Also I tried playing at night without adjusting the gamma, using torches and flares and such and it was very rewarding. The atmosphere is greatly increased. Its much harder though and a great disadvantage against other players who are using gamma.

Let us not forget, it is only the few 'official' servers and not every single public server that will be changed. It'll be around about 20 servers at most that change so it won't possibly drive away thousands of players.