boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

This about nails what I tried to say earlier. I feel this way too: I avoid players, move slowly and try to be very observant. I try to stay invisible, I try to stay alive for as long as possible.  While on the other hand my friends play exactly the opposite way. They actively look for players and shoot at everything that moves. I had to cut our last session off and stopped playing, because I was getting increasingly frustrated with their way of playing the game. I don't want to hunt players, unless I was provoked or feel challenged by another player.

I feel your pain. When I'm in a group, I usually want to talk to people and find out what they are like while my friends just shoot them on sight. I'll admit it's gotten me killed a few times. Especially since most people are friendly only until you give them an opening to kill you. But for me, half of the fun comes from making contact and seeing where it goes from there. If I get online and find out they are just camping berezino then I either go lone wolf and stalk people or log out for the night. 

Talking to people gets me whacked more often than not I find, which is one of the things I dislike about the player base of DayZ. Far too many people are in it simply to shoot other players, because there's little else to do at present and now, with Cherno and Electro depopulated of CoD types, this kind of PVP encounter has been exported across the map.

Last night I went onto a private server, Blue Waffle Attack Force. It was a full server, but for 3 hours I saw nobody. Then, just as I was about to check out the cop shop in Novaya, I see a guy come out of the fire station. I say "hi, how's it going", (I have a shotgun stowed on my back and not in my hands) and he immediately he fumbles out a crossbow and starts firing at me. Fuck sake... :rolleyes:

I turn and run off, zig zagging and keeping an eye behind me and I lose him easy enough near the petrol station just south west of the town. I hide behnd the petrol pumps and look at this guy trying to hunt me down in the area for about two minutes, maneuvering myself around the petrol pumps to keep out of sight. I was ready to give him two barrels worth if he came too close, but was reluctant to do so as I only had a couple of shells.If I wanted to I, could have just run up to him quickly and wasted him (although the shotgun is so random, there's no guarantee of a kill even a point blank range  :huh:  ). It was gas, this guy had no idea I was observing him trying to find me. Anyway, I buggered off and left him to his fun.

Then down the road, near Ratnoe, I hear the cracks of a gun which I believe was coming from the east. No voices, no nothing...just bang. Again, I run off into the trees, zig zagging. I never saw who was firing.

This is DayZ...

• Like 3

Eugen says,

Were gonna be deploying patch for the large camps soon, looking into loot issues as I`m writing this.

Edited by VahidkinG
  • Like 2

Eugen says,

Were gonna be deploying patch for the large camps soon, looking into loot issues as I`m writing this.

Looking into it as he's writing this. Epic multitasking ftw

Guys, anyone else feels like Glow plugs are SO MUCH RARE ?  >:(

my last 4 session in dayz, i spent like 5-6H finding one (which i didnt) at sheds from stary sobor to the town next to vybor. (public hive) and im yet to find a glow plug. thought, i find 4 truck batteries, 2 Jerry cans and wheels for replacing all wheels on 3 truck. im literally close to vomit now  :D

Guys, anyone else feels like Glow plugs are SO MUCH RARE ?  > :(

my last 4 session in dayz, i spent like 5-6H finding one (which i didnt) at sheds from stary sobor to the town next to vybor. (public hive) and im yet to find a glow plug. thought, i find 4 truck batteries, 2 Jerry cans and wheels for replacing all wheels on 3 truck. im literally close to vomit now  :D

yea they are rare as f***!

Whenever there is something new/fun/interesting on the build, the devs decide to take away some vital part of it or make it super rare.

For whatever reason...

• Like 1

So I spent about 6 hours in the last few days running all over the NW and SE quadrants of the map (basically covered all of the 2/3 of the map running NW to SE) on a private server I play on frequently (UN Clan #2) - there is just no loot at all (other than dynamic spawns) - a few sodas here and there, the occasional hoe or wellie.

I've read (on reddit) that private hives don't have enough traffic (i.e., server hoppers) to work correctly with the CLE as currently implemented.  Anyone have any info in this regard?  Thinking of loading up my public guy and seeing if things are different there.

Hopefully they will change it soon. i so far found 2 from the start of .58 (1 from killing a guy who had also an aug, Self defense  :P ) another in east part of NWAF, in a shed in front of the barracks (old ones) which i lost both, first one and the aug after setting up a camp in a random server and figuring out the server is down for good, another to get shot at while i was in a no message status. 

so imagine how pissed i am right now  :blush:

So I spent about 6 hours in the last few days running all over the NW and SE quadrants of the map (basically covered all of the 2/3 of the map running NW to SE) on a private server I play on frequently (UN Clan #2) - there is just no loot at all (other than dynamic spawns) - a few sodas here and there, the occasional hoe or wellie.

I've read (on reddit) that private hives don't have enough traffic (i.e., server hoppers) to work correctly with the CLE as currently implemented.  Anyone have any info in this regard?  Thinking of loading up my public guy and seeing if things are different there.

yeah private shards are a mess, more than likely due to no item respawn and cleanup after a while that server runs. cleanup system is messy in public hive too, there are lots of ruined stuff around the map which not despawn, also there is an odd issue where players stuff wont clean up. i was playing on a server a while ago, i saw a character default pant for 3-4 days at the same spot.   

Edited by VahidkinG
  • Like 1

Hopefully they will change it soon. i so far found 2 from the start of .58 (1 from killing a guy who had also an aug, Self defense  :P ) another in east part of NWAF, in a shed in front of the barracks (old ones) which i lost both, first one and the aug after setting up a camp in a random server and figuring out the server is down for good, another to get shot at while i was in a no message status. 

so imagine how pissed i am right now  :blush:

yeah private shards are a mess, more than likely due to no item respawn and cleanup after a while that server runs. cleanup system is messy in public hive too, there are lots of ruined stuff around the map which not despawn, also there is an odd issue where players stuff wont clean up. i was playing on a server a while ago, i saw a character default pant for 3-4 days at the same spot.   

Yeah, I just logged into a typically high pop public server.  Ran from Grishino to Kabanino : saw more loot in the 30 buildings I checked than I saw on my entire run through the private server.  Totally borked.  That's a shame - I usually avoid public because I can't stand the idea of server hopping.

ETA:  Guess I can just go back to Myshinko and murder hoppers looting the Quonset on a low pop until they get this sorted out.  

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 1

Yeh. There seems to be a real serious problem with item respawns in .58.

It's looking like a first come first/serve situation, where people who are in early get all the "good" gear and everybody else stays a semi-bambi and remain at a relative disadvantage.

I've had a similar experience.  With the buggy camps being what they are, I've started about 4 different characters on private, each doing something a little bit different.  

One guy on a private low-pop lives on Skalisty Island and he's going to live out the last of his days there.  

I found a drybag on the way there and I found a barrel when I got there, so I got lucky and have some storage.  

I thought I would loot cycle the island and see what happens.  The results are grim.  

Everything in my first junk pile despawned properly but aside from a few tins of tuna nothing much has respawned there.  

The hunting stand does seem to be cycling in the cle, everything else, well not so much.

My theory is that

1) the island is tied to a greater loot region, including Kamyshovo, possibly Tulga, Elektro and Solnichny

3) the number of item spawn locations on Skalisty Island is minuscule compared to Elektro for example

2) it's low pop so very little is being picked up in the whole region and so very little is being replaced

Combine them all and there's no loot for my island castaway.

He's got a well and a garden, and it's probably better that this guy keeps away from others, he's a little ... territorial.

0cLSDUX.jpg

• Like 5

I have this horrible fear that at the end of it all they won't be able to properly optimize the game. I try to be optimistic about this, and have been since the standalone was announced, but with the constant delays and the road map so far being way off I wonder if the team is capable. Pulling for them, though.

I barely play anymore because the FPS is so annoying. Once is dips into the mid to low 20s I get motion sick after a bit. Was really hoping we'd see some form of improvement by this time. I almost don't care about the other features because I've started caring so much about when we're going to start seeing performance increase even a little bit. I know the other features matter a lot but if performance is never dealt with then I'll consider the game a total flop and it doesn't matter what features are in it.

Read this and then you will understand their way of developing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28software_development%29

It's a very popular development method at the moment.

It's especially frustrating when we are told the latest patches were focused on optimization.

One of the reasons given for removing the infected was specifically to nail down some large performance gains before reintroducing them.

Some of the initial experimental patches where infected were removed did indeed have a significant boost in FPS but it seemed that successive patches whittled away at this and we are back about where we started in .57 before the infected were pulled.

I guess you misunderstood then. They were talking about network performance increase and probably a bit about FPS.

Exactly. This is precisely what I was talking about awhile back. I don't get what happened there. We saw no major gameplay changes during that time period either. Same thing happened with 0.58. In the beginning it was buttery smooth. Successive patches slowly degraded the experience. Then it hit Stable and now we have new performance issues that none of us saw at all in Exp. I wonder what is different about their Exp hive servers vs the publicly available ones.

It is indeed a mystery what happened. My guess is that they made some changes before stable which brought these problems. They shouldn't made changes right before the push of a stable build.

If a build doesn't have any game breaking bugs they should release it without making anymore changes or release it after a few days Experimental.

I don't know how the pushing of the server software works but if they only replace the changed parts there might be an incompatibility with older versions which caused this.

Some people believe that components of the new renderer have been put in place already but I do not think it is confirmed.

The bigger changes I know of are server side at this time I think but I would assume that the client side patches we get include optimization as well.

Whether server side or client side the outcome is the same at this point..... Lower FPS for the player.

When I checked the game files last time, I think I saw a bit of the upcoming implementation of the new renderer.

Can't tell it for sure though.

It just dawned on me why they didn't see these persistence lag problems. They wiped persistence about every 2nd or 3rd day for most of the build.

Didn't they announce the lag already in the status report which came out the same day?

Now that I can understand and agree with. We'll see it they have it all ironed out when the finished product is released. But none of that alters the fact that in order for an Alpha to be played there has to be some element of fun in it for the user. Another fact from my perspective is that the 30 skins I paid for DayZ SA have been a massive bargain.

Actually they don't. You are the one who wants to test it and payed 30 euro/dollars for it. And I agree, it's cheap for the hours and fun I already put in the game.

But to get back to my point, most people don't even test. They just play the game and want to have fun and when they don't they get pissed.

Most of the people who actively test the game are active on the Experimental forum thread.

Sure, I do play the game as well for fun but while doing this I test a lot, especially on Experimental.

The new renderer has been used internally for several months, but we haven't seen it yet. Hicks mentioned over the weekend, that they were getting particularly anxious about 0.58 taking so long to go to stable. He said that they were getting behind and they needed to finish w/ 0.58 so that various engine modules: the damage system, animation system, the renderer and some other new tech could be merged with the main trunk of code.

These are big changes which may very well break other existing code, so it may take some time, before we see a 0.59 on exp.

I don't care if it takes a while for 0.59 to hit Experimental. If it improves a bunch than they may take as long as they want.

However if it will take a long time they desperately need to fix the performance issue with camps because they will lose a lot of people because of this.

I dont understand that too, why something changed between Experimental and Stable.

I mean its the same Version and we dont had problems with big Camps in experimental and now on Stable why it changed?!

And because of performance my system is realy weak compared to the most other ppl here but i never have this

10-20 seconds hiccups for me its maybe 2-3 seconds not more.

But my settings are realy low maybe thats the reason?!

Edit: And in your Video it shows that almost 7200mb Ram is in use is that because you made a Video or whats the reason?

I think the game can only use 4096 mb and the system use maybe 1000mb or not?

I don't know what kind of specs you have but putting the settings too low has it's downsides.

The game may even be slower than before. If your graphic card is the bottle neck then restrict DayZ to only 3 or 4 cores, it will increase performance.

The last build of EXP had these exact same problems with lag/camps.

I can't agree nor disagree because I unfortunately didn't play that build.

But knowing you as an hoarder, you're probably right. :lol:

Eugen says,

That's very good to hear. Guess I will start playing soon again then. :lol:

So I spent about 6 hours in the last few days running all over the NW and SE quadrants of the map (basically covered all of the 2/3 of the map running NW to SE) on a private server I play on frequently (UN Clan #2) - there is just no loot at all (other than dynamic spawns) - a few sodas here and there, the occasional hoe or wellie.

I've read (on reddit) that private hives don't have enough traffic (i.e., server hoppers) to work correctly with the CLE as currently implemented. Anyone have any info in this regard? Thinking of loading up my public guy and seeing if things are different there.

Last time I checked there was still enough stuff laying around.
  • Like 6

-snip-

I guess you misunderstood then. They were talking about network performance increase and probably a bit about FPS.

-snip-

No, man. I'm pretty sure I've got it straight....

If I remember correctly Hicks was glowing about increased server performance on high pop servers (which was partially due to pulling out the infected) and optimization tweaks both server and client side.

According to the devs our client side patches see optimization regularly as well.

• Like 1

I've had a similar experience.  With the buggy camps being what they are, I've started about 4 different characters on private, each doing something a little bit different.  

One guy on a private low-pop lives on Skalisty Island and he's going to live out the last of his days there.  

I found a drybag on the way there and I found a barrel when I got there, so I got lucky and have some storage.  

I thought I would loot cycle the island and see what happens.  The results are grim.  

Everything in my first junk pile despawned properly but aside from a few tins of tuna nothing much has respawned there.  

The hunting stand does seem to be cycling in the cle, everything else, well not so much.

My theory is that

1) the island is tied to a greater loot region, including Kamyshovo, possibly Tulga, Elektro and Solnichny

3) the number of item spawn locations on Skalisty Island is minuscule compared to Elektro for example

2) it's low pop so very little is being picked up in the whole region and so very little is being replaced

Combine them all and there's no loot for my island castaway.

He's got a well and a garden, and it's probably better that this guy keeps away from others, he's a little ... territorial.

0cLSDUX.jpg

Couple of things:

1. Loot does not cycle regionally currently. Devs haven't implemented this yet. CLE considers the whole map as one region currently and loot could respawn anywhere on the map as a result.

2. If it is a low pop server and does not have much traffic this is going to hurt loot respawn. Reason being that there are only so many loot spawn points on the map for a particular type of loot (military/civilian/industrial/etc). If the spawn locations already have loot in/on them then loot has no place to spawn. This assumes of course that loot cannot just constantly spawn on top of each other and that a maximum loot spawn per node is in affect. Without other people cycling/removing loot from other locations on the map, the chances of loot spawning on the island is slim. Of course given my previous assumption about loot nodes, eventually you will be able to respawn loot frequently on the island, it just might take a very long time.

The loot you are recycling and that is being cleaned up is respawning somewhere. Just not on the island.

• Like 2

yea they are rare as f***!

Whenever there is something new/fun/interesting on the build, the devs decide to take away some vital part of it or make it super rare.

For whatever reason...

They are certainly rare but I have found five since this build went live. Keep looking!

Couple of things:

1. Loot does not cycle regionally currently. Devs haven't implemented this yet. CLE considers the whole map as one region currently and loot could respawn anywhere on the map as a result.

2. If it is a low pop server and does not have much traffic this is going to hurt loot respawn. Reason being that there are only so many loot spawn points on the map for a particular type of loot (military/civilian/industrial/etc). If the spawn locations already have loot in/on them then loot has no place to spawn. This assumes of course that loot cannot just constantly spawn on top of each other and that a maximum loot spawn per node is in affect. Without other people cycling/removing loot from other locations on the map, the chances of loot spawning on the island is slim. Of course given my previous assumption about loot nodes, eventually you will be able to respawn loot frequently on the island, it just might take a very long time.

The loot you are recycling and that is being cleaned up is respawning somewhere. Just not on the island.

1.  I wasn't sure about that, just speculating on how things seem - thanks for clarifying  :)

2.  Yep, that's what I was getting at.  

That's not to say I want the island to have more loot right now, it's refreshing to have that sparse loot grind again.

Just thought it all was worth a mention.

For now, I'm protecting the island from adventurers who just might take an arrow to the knee. 

• Like 1

Some people believe that components of the new renderer have been put in place already but I do not think it is confirmed.

The bigger changes I know of are server side at this time I think but I would assume that the client side patches we get include optimization as well.

Whether server side or client side the outcome is the same at this point..... Lower FPS for the player.

My framerate has increased greatly this patch (the only reasonable explanation is lack of Zs and much more sparsely distributed loot). Past 4-5 patches? No change at all. They are not optimizing every patch. Why on earth would they, when half the engine gets replaced with new modules anyway?

Some guys I know reported a similar issue, but they play with only 5-6 people on their server, always the same 6 guys. But UN used to be full 2/3 of the day when I played there last time in 57, so that shouldnt be an issue imo.

Read this and then you will understand their way of developing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28software_development%29

It's a very popular development method at the moment.

That is irrelevant to what I said. The alpha was released coming up quickly on two years ago. The very core issue with DayZ has always been its performance because the engine is old and wasn't designed for what is being asked of it. That's fine, they made the decision to recreate the engine and that was the right choice. But after 2 years and after consistent delays and alterations of the road map in the last 6 months or so, as a consumer I think you can start to wonder if these issues are solvable. Again, I still maintain the hope that they all are. But the type of development doesn't remove accountability or prevent failure from being a realistic possibility.

.58 was jammed on experimental for like 2+ months and still came out with issues they were trying to avoid. At this point we have a zombie game with no zombies, server performance issues, and client performance issues. I think they've made gains on the server performance issues (from what I've read) but it seems to be an epic struggle. The new engine better save them. CLE and all of the other gameplay additions don't matter until the team can prove they can provide performance.

• Like 1

My framerate has increased greatly this patch (the only reasonable explanation is lack of Zs and much more sparsely distributed loot). Past 4-5 patches? No change at all. They are not optimizing every patch. Why on earth would they, when half the engine gets replaced with new modules anyway?

-snip-

I never said they optimize with EVERY patch.

The devs have said that client side changes for optimization are often part of our patches.

I wasn't guessing at anything there.

The most recent patches have mostly been focused on inventory and CLE tweaks and all else has been sidelined until those are squared away.

Edited by BioHaze

Does Skalisty Island have boat, and therefore possible netting, spawns?

Not as far as I can tell, I spent over half my time in the Tulga area all exp and .58 stable I swim there every day or two. Haven't seen a dynamic boat there yet although I don't run the south east coast of the island much.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

Not as far as I can tell, I spent over half my time in the Tulga area all exp and .58 stable I swim there every day or two. Haven't seen a dynamic boat there yet although I don't run the south east coast of the island much.

Fair enough. Thank you very much. Didn't want to waste time swimming over there if it could be confirmed that my search would be fruitless. Finally acquired some netting today but only 3 so I'd like a few more for some gun wraps for my team. Beans!

That is irrelevant to what I said. The alpha was released coming up quickly on two years ago. The very core issue with DayZ has always been its performance because the engine is old and wasn't designed for what is being asked of it. That's fine, they made the decision to recreate the engine and that was the right choice. But after 2 years and after consistent delays and alterations of the road map in the last 6 months or so, as a consumer I think you can start to wonder if these issues are solvable. Again, I still maintain the hope that they all are. But the type of development doesn't remove accountability or prevent failure from being a realistic possibility.

.58 was jammed on experimental for like 2+ months and still came out with issues they were trying to avoid. At this point we have a zombie game with no zombies, server performance issues, and client performance issues. I think they've made gains on the server performance issues (from what I've read) but it seems to be an epic struggle. The new engine better save them. CLE and all of the other gameplay additions don't matter until the team can prove they can provide performance.

It is relevant because that is how they develop DayZ. They don't focus on 1 subject each time, instead they do sprints everytime. They might work on the engine today and tommorow on the CLE.

There is already a bunch more in the game files but it is still not in the game yet. They have already developed more behind the scenes than you can imagine, trust me.

Did you find wilson?  :P

cast_away.jpg

Hahaha, genius. Wiiiiilsoooooooon!

By the way, 500th post awh yeah!