boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Then again you play in a 5km circle as opposed to the whole map. I dont know why people report this kinda stuff when you dont traverse the entire map - its not worth much in that case.

People underestimate the amount of food and loot that stacks up around less often visited places. Such as the school building in Novaya Petrovka. I visited that one on two different servers just out of curiosity, first one had like 4-5 mountain backpacks, second one had easily one mountain backpack full of food.

Basically recycling only means something if the entire map gets cleaned up. Food and clothing spawns nearly everywhere.

I focus my observations on a 5km circle that almost every person on this server had to pass by but likely didn't bother going to. I have a second smaller area that gets the same attention every couple days across the map to compare it to I look around but don't usually touch anything in the space in between that include Cherno and Elektro on my way there and back. I'm counting on the randoms and the 112 clan who frequents the server to be cycling the rest of the map to some degree.

My 5km radius is roughly 1/6th of the entire map and I'm not really playing, I'm picking up and stashing or despawning everything trying to simulate lots of traffic in the spawn zone by myself and it doesn't look sustainable even for someone who enjoyed the apple picking sim fiasco.   

As as a server owner (Public) I appreciate reading others reporting other server owners kicking players as soon as they join when they are not running a private server. That drives me nuts when it happens to me and they deserve to be reported. Pay for private if you want your "own" server.

As far as resetting persistence; I believe I have the ability on my server to wipe persistence (see screen shot). 

21120853486_cff33beab7_b.jpg

On my server I always use the daily messages and battlelog script to display messages if we are going to be making changes to the server. I'd never wipe the server without prior warning of at least a few days if we could wait so we could give people a chance to move their stuff off the server. In the past when persistence first was introduced, we had several groups come on our TS and let me know they wanted to make their campsites on the server. Unfortunately there were a few times where everything was wiped by either BI or our provider at the time (other than announced wipes). Of course these groups came on TS screaming mad which I understood, but I would do all I could to ensure they understood the wipe was completely out of our control and for the most of them, they understood I try and run a clean, adult friendly server. 

• Like 6

I heard reports about problems on private servers but those were really low pop password ones. I dont know, WOBO used to be constantly full. High chance someone just picks stuff up before you or private servers are somewhat bugged. God knows. I know one thing and thats that all the trash loot on the ground needs to cleaned sometimes to not hinder respawning. If there is jeans and ruined shit everywhere in every house etc, move it the fuck away from that area.

I play almost exclusively on high pop privates (UN Clan, /r/DayZUnderground, The Civ, etc.).  All of them have serious loot issues - as in nada.  My guys that started early are well kitted (fing and I have several camps on the UN Server), but guys who started late - happy to have ANY gun with ammo.  

And it's not that "it's a hardcore survival sim."  It's not.  Staying alive is easy - sodas in sheds respawn well; no zeds to hurt you; environment not a serious threat, other players easily avoided.   It's just that there's nothing to do - can't form a camp; can't even really test crafting as wildlife seems bugged (just runs around in circles) and even finding seeds and lime is a trick; could go take my double barrel to a military camp and kill someone for gear, but then what? - that's why I got bored of .57.  Loot is undeniably jacked on every private serve I've been to.

• Like 5

Then again you play in a 5km circle as opposed to the whole map. I dont know why people report this kinda stuff when you dont traverse the entire map - its not worth much in that case.

People underestimate the amount of food and loot that stacks up around less often visited places. Such as the school building in Novaya Petrovka. I visited that one on two different servers just out of curiosity, first one had like 4-5 mountain backpacks, second one had easily one mountain backpack full of food.

Basically recycling only means something if the entire map gets cleaned up. Food and clothing spawns nearly everywhere.

On the Un Clan server, I went from Sinistock E thru all the northern towns down through Severo and Grishino to Kabanino, the Starys, down through Rog and Nadez, to Cherno and over to Elektro.  I'm pretty sure I did not see a single long gun.  On /r/DayZUndergound, I went Elektro, Cherno (and burbs), Balota, Kamarovo, Kamenka, Pavlo (and base), and ALL of Zelno - I saw a single doubel barrel, a single izh, and a single CROSSBOW.  Do not mistake the limits of your vision for the limits of the world.

• Like 1

I focus my observations on a 5km circle that almost every person on this server had to pass by but likely didn't bother going to. I have a second smaller area that gets the same attention every couple days across the map to compare it to I look around but don't usually touch anything in the space in between that include Cherno and Elektro on my way there and back. I'm counting on the randoms and the 112 clan who frequents the server to be cycling the rest of the map to some degree.

My 5km radius is roughly 1/6th of the entire map and I'm not really playing, I'm picking up and stashing or despawning everything trying to simulate lots of traffic in the spawn zone by myself and it doesn't look sustainable even for someone who enjoyed the apple picking sim fiasco.   

Thats because it should not be sustainable to only "live" in 1/6 of the map :D

Thats because it should not be sustainable to only "live" in 1/6 of the map :D

So a 50 player server that can support less than 6 players is a feature? 

So a 50 player server that can support less than 6 players is a feature? 

No but I am not sure any 50 man server can support that amount of players actually, I feel most people just join those already fully fed to seek out some action.

But theoretically it should support them. Especially if everyone just cleans out all cities. Food and clothes are top priority spawns. Its impossible for 50 people to constantly check all of the like 2 million spawn points (forgot exact number). But again from what I understand, the server tries to keep it at X amount of items at all times. 20k atm iirc.

Anyway, no matter the amount of players, in order to make a clear, definite observation, you simply cant just take 1/6th of the map into consideration.

You literally gotta make it your main task and check literally all 2 million spawn points. Twice. Only then can you say that the server cant even support 6 people.

@Thurman

Private servers might be broken, but again you also underestimate how deadly just a few magazines taken out of military areas and dropped in the next best tree and shit like that can be to loot respawning. From my understanding, currently CLE does not take into account shit on players or in tents, but indeed everything on the ground.

Edited by jayfkay

Nope it certainly isn't just him.

I've been playing for the last 3/12 hours on the WOBO server. I've run from Gorka > Novy Sobor > Stary Sobor > Kabanino > NWAF.

I searched every single building in the towns (and between) and I mean EVERY SINGLE BUILDING and found nothing (well nothing except for a canteen in a fridge in Novy)

At the NWAF, there was nothing worth taking. Some boots, jackets, trousers and trench tools all in various states of damage. But that had been effectively cleared too.

Surely this cannot be what the devs envisaged for the game.

Any server I went to so far I could easily get all my food and basic clothes no problem. Public hives of course.

Wobo? classified as an all time 50 50 server. So you might want to take alternate rounds. From Gorka to NWAF not only is NOTHING in terms of total amount of spawnpoints available, its also the exact route millions of other players will take regularly.

Edit: just realized I double replied to this one. Anyway, there you go :P

Edited by jayfkay

No but I am not sure any 50 man server can support that amount of players actually, I feel most people just join those already fully fed to seek out some action.

But theoretically it should support them. Especially if everyone just cleans out all cities. Food and clothes are top priority spawns. Its impossible for 50 people to constantly check all of the like 2 million spawn points (forgot exact number). But again from what I understand, the server tries to keep it at X amount of items at all times. 20k atm iirc.

Anyway, no matter the amount of players, in order to make a clear, definite observation, you simply cant just take 1/6th of the map into consideration.

You literally gotta make it your main task and check literally all 2 million spawn points. Twice. Only then can you say that the server cant even support 6 people.

I'm playing on a private server so there's no gearing up and hopping on to a populated one for action, even if that was an option that's a shitty mechanic at best if you ask me.

I never said definite, I can take 1/6th of the map as an educated observation 1/6th of the map could get you anywhere on the map depending on how you slice it. I'm just using a circuit of 5 small towns and the outskirts of 2 cities as it's easier to memorize where I've seen stuff spawn and notice when it isn't. It should still simulate map progression even though it's in a circle because there's no zones to differentiate why I went anywhere.

No one could possibly manually check all 2 million spawnpoints, unless BI produces numbers for us or maybe someone datamines them nothing is definite in this game, just posting my observations.  

Gaw, I'm gonna have to switch server. Only 6 people on the private shard I play on...on a weekend. So far the server works fine, however I placed a barrel today and re-logged, bc it was lagging. And I think I placed it either on or next to an orange mountain backpack, which I cannot find now. Anyone had problems with disappearing backpacks? 

Other than that persistence works on that server. My friend thought we lost a barrel, but then remembered he relocated it to yet another camp. This persistence thing is gonna turn men into squirrels. Lot of loot in a dozen different places. Good thing we parked all the trucks next to each other ;)

Edited by S3V3N

Imo the question is not if there is a problem on private servers - spent arround 20hrs on 0.58 together with a friend and we didn't find any "good" guns in that time. Tried several different routes across the map to find a Winchester or any other hunting-rifle that fits the hunting-scope and some ammo for it - no chance, even if you check places in the middle of nowhere. Had no problems with food and civillian/hunting clothes at all.

Looks like Clean-Up is "broken" atm. Saw tons of school-backpacks at Severograd and Novaya Petrovka which didn't dissapear for hours/days. While the newbies miss them e.g. in Berenzino. Seems like this bug concers any kind of player-dropped item.

Hypothermia seems to be a bit buggy as well. Weren't able to save the life of my mate - even with several heatpacks and a fireplace he died within a few minutes.

Edited by R. Hartenstein

Hypothermia seems to be a bit buggy as well. Weren't able to save the life of my mate - even with several heatpacks and a fireplace he died within a few minutes.

That's definitely still an issue. It happened to me and others while still on 0.58 experimental. It seems you either get rid of it really quickly, or you die really quickly. Best to get some Gorka jacket from a hangar or find a raincoat in a house or at boats. They are not that rare, just pray you find a green or black one :)

I saw something today for the first time. When I put my jerry can into an empty barrel, I got the option to "pour gas into barrel". Does that mean we can make hobo stoves now? I didn't try, because I was gonna log off and needed the space. But cool thing! Anyone made that fire work?

Edited by S3V3N

That's definitely still an issue. It happened to me and others while still on 0.58 experimental. It seems you either get rid of it really quickly, or you die really quickly. Best to get some Gorka jacket from a hangar or find a raincoat in a house or at boats. They are not that rare, just pray you find a green or black one :)

I saw something today for the first time. When I put my jerry can into an empty barrel, I got the option to "pour gas into barrel". Does that mean we can make hobo stoves now? I didn't try, because I was gonna log off and needed the space. But cool thing! Anyone made that fire work?

Spot on with what I've seen getting hypothermia three times and only surviving once even though I did everything right twice.

I got the empty into barrel from a canteen but is says it cant do it because there's already something in it.

• Like 1

Imo the question is not if there is a problem on private servers - spent arround 20hrs on 0.58 together with a friend and we didn't find any "good" guns in that time. Tried several different routes across the map to find a Winchester or any other hunting-rifle that fits the hunting-scope and some ammo for it - no chance, even if you check places in the middle of nowhere. Had no problems with food and civillian/hunting clothes at all.

Looks like Clean-Up is "broken" atm. Saw tons of school-backpacks at Severograd and Novaya Petrovka which didn't dissapear for hours/days. While the newbies miss them e.g. in Berenzino. Seems like this bug concers any kind of player-dropped item.

Some player dropped items clean up fine but you're right about bags though, what happens when all the bags from the beach end up discarded inland where better ones spawn. Did the status report say 3 days or 7 days persistence for bags if not interacted with right now?

Part rolls of tape sticks around forever it seems but gas canisters seem to despawn if moved and dropped.

• Like 1

I'm 1 for 2 at this point, lost my last bout trying to warm by a fire which was opposite of my first successful attempt where I kept moving, sprinting the whole time, trying to keep the core warm.  I will not try using a fire again.  I dropped dead so fast it wasn't even funny.  Need a larger sample size to confirm this however.

Spot on with what I've seen getting hypothermia three times and only surviving once even though I did everything right twice.

• Like 1

I'm 1 for 2 at this point, lost my last bout trying to warm by a fire which was opposite of my first successful attempt where I kept moving, sprinting the whole time, trying to keep the core warm.  I will not try using a fire again.  I dropped dead so fast it wasn't even funny.  Need a larger sample size to confirm this however.

I've read altitude affects temperature but not sure if I believe it not sure I don't, was at Tulga which is on the top of a hill when would have started getting wet and cold but I was sprinting with a hot pumpkin last time and it came on fast. The spawn right after in the same weather got by for longer in his t-shit but he was still at sea level by the time I got him a rain coat.

Still not sure what to think either. 

• Like 1

I've read altitude affects temperature but not sure if I believe it not sure I don't, was at Tulga which is on the top of a hill when would have started getting wet and cold but I was sprinting with a hot pumpkin last time and it came on fast. The spawn right after in the same weather got by for longer in his t-shit but he was still at sea level by the time I got him a rain coat.

Funny thing: My mate and me ran the same distances through the rain with almost the same clothing (Hunting-...) and while I got the "cold" status only when I was staying still, he had no chance to loose it. He also said that his char was buggy before. While we where spotting some other players on a sunny day, he was always shaking. His clothes were dry, he had no "cold" status and even after we started a campfire the shaking was still there. Morphine/splint had no effect too, so it was no issue of broken arms.

Could be a bug or is a single occasion able to force your char out of temperature-balance, so that you don't have a chance to fight it?

Edited by R. Hartenstein
  • Like 1

This is true, I have witnessed it myself in 0.55. I was getting cold on a high mountain up north but there was nothing wrong on a lower altitude.
  • Like 1

Funny thing: My mate and me ran the same distances through the rain with almost the same clothing (Hunting-...) and while I got the "cold" status only when I was staying still, he had no chance to loose it. He also said that his char was buggy before. While we where spotting some other players on a sunny day, he was always shaking. His clothes were dry, he had no "cold" status and even after we started a campfire the shaking was still there. Morphine/splint had no effect too, so it was no issue of broken arms.

Could be a bug or is a single occasion able to force your char out of temperature-balance, so that you don't have a chance to fight it?

I never died because of hypothermia in 0.58 even if i got no raincoat or Gorka jacket.

But i always move the hole time and i never walk i always run.

I have now 4-5 different players one on Public and a few on privat.

Im pretty sure something is wrong on private Hives because yesterday i played

3-4 hour on a private and could only find maybe 10% of the items i found on Public in the same time.

Maybe it was because its a low pop only 10-15 player but i walked from south to north and it was the same everywhere.

But i was lucky i found a Chopper and there i found 2 AUGS and a UMP.

Beside that i could barely find enough to eat realy strange.

I never died because of hypothermia in 0.58 even if i got no raincoat or Gorka jacket.

But i always move the hole time and i never walk i always run.

I have now 4-5 different players one on Public and a few on privat.

Im pretty sure something is wrong on private Hives because yesterday i played

3-4 hour on a private and could only find maybe 10% of the items i found on Public in the same time.

Maybe it was because its a low pop only 10-15 player but i walked from south to north and it was the same everywhere.

But i was lucky i found a Chopper and there i found 2 AUGS and a UMP.

Beside that i could barely find enough to eat realy strange.

Is it low populated all the time? If yes then there are not enough players to drop weapons in the middle of nowhere => low weapon-respawn / clean-up works as intended (for guns)

Could imagine that the respawn-amount is low on public servers to avoid to much weapons brought on the server by hoppers....

As I know the private servers are using the same Version (right?), so they simply suffer from the average-behaviour on public servers :|

Edited by R. Hartenstein
  • Like 1

Regarding persistence, public servers specifically, what has the forum members been experiencing regarding persistence, any specific theories?  I replied to a post in the General forum, but thought I'd ask this here. In reading the various threads on this and from my personal experience, it's all over the map.

Background:  I logged in this morning to find my significant OCD stash missing, across three servers.  Locations were broadly spread out and too many of them for anything but the bite of persistence variability.  On my fourth favorite server, on the other side of the planet, items have remained for well over a week, including a backpack, which btw, I was forced to check after my wtf moment on the three others, which share the same hosting service.

For what it's worth, I had the day off yesterday and spent it grinding out a number of small stashes, barrel, backpack, rinse and repeat...then move on to another location.  Many items, articles of clothing, vests, hats, loose and boxed ammo all appeared to clean up in 30 minutes or so.  Weapons, magazines, clips, remained for the most part from my experienced.  Several of the barrels had been in location for a couple days.  Each barrel had been touched in the previous 24 hours.  I experienced one item just vanishing which occurred when I swapped out a smersh secondary backpack for a mountain backpack.  Though I happened to be on some steps at the time and it could have just falling below and out of reach. 

Lesson of the day:  Be wary of similar public server hosts, those that host groups of severs are likely to configure them the same, often resulting in similar behavior.

Think I'm going to change my screen name to  "Generally Annoyed TM " .

Edited by Super_Duty

I played on a private hive yesterday with a friend of mine which was new to DayZ.

The server was something with SOS (you'll find it with the host name "SOS" at filters). It was a mid-pop server and I spawned in Berezino and my friend on Skalisty Island twice. The third time he happened to spawn in Berezino.

After finding eachother we went on with our adventure and started looting Berezino. We went to Khelm and got lost after that until I saw the NEAF.

In the end we did a deathmatch. He used a hacksaw and I my fists to make it fair. After I was hit three times and was bleeding heavily we both took the splitting axe out.

Hit him three times and knocked him unconscious with it. While I was trying to finish him off (couldn't hit him for some reason) I went unconscious due to blood loss and died because of it.

Was a fun time and maybe in the future a new DayZ player, he did learn fairly quick though. :)

But that was not my point. My point of this was to tell about the loot. In Berezino and Khelm and some houses on the road here and there was enough to get us both a backpack, some clothing and lots of food. We were both energized and hydrated, not always light green but still.

If it was me alone there I would be light green energized for a long time.

We found a shotgun (IZH), CR527, Amphibia. Regarding ammo we found 9mm, .380 Auto, .22, .357 and 12 Gauge Buckshot.

That is quite good in my opinion.

Has anyone seen a wild boar this build? I really want to make an improvised leather backpack, but can't find any boars. Nor for that matter any cows or deers. When the build first dropped I saw the herd of cows near Sosnovka a couple times, and eventually killed them all. Saw another herd of cows up north somewhere while making the run west from Novo. Have yet to see any deers.

Really just want to find a wild boar though. 

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a wild boar this build? I really want to make an improvised leather backpack, but can't find any boars. Nor for that matter any cows or deers. When the build first dropped I saw the herd of cows near Sosnovka a couple times, and eventually killed them all. Saw another herd of cows up north somewhere while making the run west from Novo. Have yet to see any deers.

Really just want to find a wild boar though. 

The problems with animals may be that they spot you before you spot them. If you are nowhere near a town or anything that would hamper performance, yet you feel a slight load and lag, look around, because animals may have spawned near. However, most of the time I just see them running. The deer seem to be zig-zagging a lot, as opposed to the cows who run the marathon distance, like champs :) 

One way I often see animals (cows at least) is when I'm driving around a lot with the truck. I'd say it's still pretty rare I see some, but they have a very "specular/glossy" texture, so you can see them from quite far in their shinyness :)

Boars may be in the game, but will be even harder to spot, due to color and lower profile. If they have the same detection radius like the rest of the animals they'd be pretty much out of sight, before you get there. I chased a group of deer toward Novaya Petrovka yesterday in the hopes that someone else would find them. There was no buck with them, just deer; usually there is a buck. I found him a good ten minutes later stuck on the ground in Novaya's east. I was sure that herd I saw spawned near me, because I was slow walking, stopping and talking with friends. That's when I usually find some deer - when I don't run around all the time and am near a feeding shack. However with the buck stuck in Novaya it either means the herd respawned without a buck or they ran into the forest without it and re-spawned there. It's really mostly speculation, but suffice to say cows and deer are in and you will come across some eventually. I saw my first herd when I went fishing at the pond near Msta. However, I've never seen any deer there since. Just go about your ways, eventually you'll come across some deer; most likely when your bags are full to the brim ;)

• Like 2