boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Talking about performance, this gotta be the shittiest built until now performance wise. I can get 20-25 fps in big cities witch tbh I find rather playable in this game. BUT THE FUCKING FREEZING MAN, seriously this makes me so fucking mad. Every goddamn time this shit is freezing for like 5, 10, sometimes even almost 20 seconds. Its annoying beyond belief and broken on unplayable levels of brokenness. This was never a issue until this fucking build, its so lame man.

God I wanna play DayZ but this game truly hates me, I don't know what the hell I can do since my draw distance is beyond potato levels already, I notice that the more players on the server, the worse is the freezing. What a shitty build tbh, unplayable. All I can do at the moment is wander in low pop servers witch is a quite boring experience.

Hope they come up with .59 sooner then latter.

Edited by Avant-Garde

-snip-

While I don't condone the language you are using being directed at the devs, I get what you are saying. It has happened to me a couple of times now. I thought my game crashed yesterday but it eventually unstuck after being frozen for about 5-7 seconds straight. My friend and I were driving two separate trucks two days ago and both got a massive lag spike at the same time, crashing and popping the tires on both trucks simultaneously. My character also got wiped randomly yesterday. In terms of playability, this build took longer to produce and turned out much worse than any I've played thus far. No zombies, camps lag the server, and random lag spikes interrupting gameplay. I miss 0.55. 

All that said, complaining is not the right thing to do here. They are obviously working on major changes in tech that are going to disrupt the shit out of everything we touch for quite awhile. I wouldn't expect to get to anything better than this for quite a few more builds. We all knew what we were buying when we got this game and if not, then you bought the game impulsively and that's a personal problem.

While I don't condone the language you are using being directed at the devs, I get what you are saying. It has happened to me a couple of times now. I thought my game crashed yesterday but it eventually unstuck after being frozen for about 5-7 seconds straight. My friend and I were driving two separate trucks two days ago and both got a massive lag spike at the same time, crashing and popping the tires on both trucks simultaneously. My character also got wiped randomly yesterday. In terms of playability, this build took longer to produce and turned out much worse than any I've played thus far. No zombies, camps lag the server, and random lag spikes interrupting gameplay. I miss 0.55. 

All that said, complaining is not the right thing to do here. They are obviously working on major changes in tech that are going to disrupt the shit out of everything we touch for quite awhile. I wouldn't expect to get to anything better than this for quite a few more builds. We all knew what we were buying when we got this game and if not, then you bought the game impulsively and that's a personal problem.

Lol you don't take the devs pain please, I wasn't even swearing at them, just at this broken pile of unoptimized filth that is this build. Its just a lovely feedback you know. Devs I love you, everything else like the CLE thing is pure gold and the game is going in the right direction, but please fix this goddamn bullshit freezing because it renders your game unplayable and makes me wanna say bad words on your forums. Thanks devs.

Of course I can complain, I paid for this and they are asking for feedback so here it is: build .58 has shitty performance beyond belief guys, seriously, it gives "shitty performance" a whole new meaning, congratulations on that. I was even constructive you know, there is something wrong with player counts. The higher the player count on the server, the more this shit will freeze and for longer times.

To be very honest, I bought it because it will for sure be even more expensive when its ready lmao. I know I'm supposed to expect broken fuckery like this build, but hey, they should expect people would be mad at broken builds as well, its natural. Its the only thing that makes me wanna shoot people in the face: goddamn freezing. As I told you, 20-25 fps is not a problem for me unless the game freezes, thats the line man lol ,this build is crossing it BIG TIME.

Edited by Avant-Garde

Yeah, I'm testing it now. Have two car tents I'm guarding in a less than convenient place so I have them just sitting there. Guess we shall see.

They only way you can maintain 60 FPS in cities is if you have a CPU with single core performance that is literally off the charts. I'm not kidding. Like "not for public consumption" type stuff that Intel has buried in some vault on the moon. It's either that or you have made some rather serious config file alterations. Obviously, anyone can make themselves maintain 60 FPS in cities, but the game will be nearly unplayable for most. High res and low res textures will flicker nonstop and forget rendering other players. You can make yourself get 200 FPS in cities even if you like, but you will be rendering a 50 foot bubble.

That is totally true. My new graphics card which is much better than my old one and is not running any better for DayZ. Why not? Because I have a very good processor. If I limit the DayZ process to only 3 cores instead of 8 it runs much smoother but the graphics and rendering will be worse.

I'm seriously waiting for the new renderer and engine so I can enjoy DayZ with my specs.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

I'm very curious of the new renderer as well.  At the moment I'm running a single R290X, Vsync off, most settings at max, with frame rates in the 90's at times, then in the low 20's in major cities.  i5 Intel OC'd to 4.5-ish, SSD and 16gb mem.  I happen to have a 2nd duplicate GPU sitting in another rig. that I've been contemplating moving into my primary rig to see what dual GPU performance looks like.  Just been too damn lazy...that I haven't checked the technical forum lately to see if crossfire is even supported at this point.

ydWplAg.png

That is totally true. My new graphics card which is much better than my old one and is not running any better for DayZ. Why not? Because I have a very good processor. If I limit the DayZ process to only 3 cores instead of 8 it runs much smoother but the graphics and rendering will be worse.
I'm seriously waiting for the new renderer and engine so I can enjoy DayZ with my specs.

Edited by Super_Duty

I'm very curious of the new renderer as well.  At the moment I'm running a single R290X, Vsync off, most settings at max, with frame rates in the 90's at times, then in the low 20's in major cities.  i5 Intel OC'd to 4.5-ish, SSD and 16gb mem.  I happen to have a 2nd duplicate GPU sitting in another rig. that I've been contemplating moving into my primary rig to see what dual GPU performance looks like.  Just been too damn lazy...that I haven't checked the technical forum lately to see if crossfire is even supported at this point.

I have this horrible fear that at the end of it all they won't be able to properly optimize the game. I try to be optimistic about this, and have been since the standalone was announced, but with the constant delays and the road map so far being way off I wonder if the team is capable. Pulling for them, though.

I barely play anymore because the FPS is so annoying. Once is dips into the mid to low 20s I get motion sick after a bit. Was really hoping we'd see some form of improvement by this time. I almost don't care about the other features because I've started caring so much about when we're going to start seeing performance increase even a little bit. I know the other features matter a lot but if performance is never dealt with then I'll consider the game a total flop and it doesn't matter what features are in it.

I have this horrible fear that at the end of it all they won't be able to properly optimize the game. I try to be optimistic about this, and have been since the standalone was announced, but with the constant delays and the road map so far being way off I wonder if the team is capable. Pulling for them, though.

I barely play anymore because the FPS is so annoying. Once is dips into the mid to low 20s I get motion sick after a bit. Was really hoping we'd see some form of improvement by this time. I almost don't care about the other features because I've started caring so much about when we're going to start seeing performance increase even a little bit. I know the other features matter a lot but if performance is never dealt with then I'll consider the game a total flop and it doesn't matter what features are in it.

It's especially frustrating when we are told the latest patches were focused on optimization.

One of the reasons given for removing the infected was specifically to nail down some large performance gains before reintroducing them.

Some of the initial experimental patches where infected were removed did indeed have a significant boost in FPS but it seemed that successive patches whittled away at this and we are back about where we started in .57 before the infected were pulled.

• Like 2

It's especially frustrating when we are told the latest patches were focused on optimization.

One of the reasons given for removing the infected was specifically to nail down some large performance gains before reintroducing them.

Some of the initial experimental patches where infected were removed did indeed have a significant boost in FPS but it seemed that successive patches whittled away at this and we are back about where we started in .57 before the infected were pulled.

Exactly. This is precisely what I was talking about awhile back. I don't get what happened there. We saw no major gameplay changes during that time period either. Same thing happened with 0.58. In the beginning it was buttery smooth. Successive patches slowly degraded the experience. Then it hit Stable and now we have new performance issues that none of us saw at all in Exp. I wonder what is different about their Exp hive servers vs the publicly available ones. 

• Like 1

Removing the zombies temporarily may have been necessary for some obscure reason and there may have been an equally obscure reason to Banish Zeds from small towns and out of the way places with the previous patch.  Unfortunately right now I have no interest in playing at all. There is actually nothing to do except Kill On Sight style PVP and looting the area in total safety. We will see how the zeds are when they return :P    

• Like 2

Some people believe that components of the new renderer have been put in place already but I do not think it is confirmed.

The bigger changes I know of are server side at this time I think but I would assume that the client side patches we get include optimization as well.

Whether server side or client side the outcome is the same at this point..... Lower FPS for the player.

Has anyone had any luck finding a Winchester this patch? I have been around the map checking about every building I find for one and still, no luck. Id be glad to trade about anything for it.

My gut tells me that there's a work stream in place vetting out the entire implementation of the infected overall.  What we have been seeing is/was just a placeholder to test path finding, etc.  I suspect (my opinion) is that to deliver on the prescribed premise, basically the backbone of this game, a complete overhaul was needed.  Optimization of resources to support numbers that significantly impact play style was non existent and to correct this a different approach has to be implemented.  As such, why waste resources to keep the early adopters somewhat content...

Removing the zombies temporarily may have been necessary for some obscure reason and there may have been an equally obscure reason to Banish Zeds from small towns and out of the way places with the previous patch.  Unfortunately right now I have no interest in playing at all. There is actually nothing to do except Kill On Sight style PVP and looting the area in total safety. We will see how the zeds are when they return :P    

• Like 4

This about nails what I tried to say earlier. I feel this way too: I avoid players, move slowly and try to be very observant. I try to stay invisible, I try to stay alive for as long as possible.  While on the other hand my friends play exactly the opposite way. They actively look for players and shoot at everything that moves. I had to cut our last session off and stopped playing, because I was getting increasingly frustrated with their way of playing the game. I don't want to hunt players, unless I was provoked or feel challenged by another player. 

I feel your pain. When I'm in a group, I usually want to talk to people and find out what they are like while my friends just shoot them on sight. I'll admit it's gotten me killed a few times. Especially since most people are friendly only until you give them an opening to kill you. But for me, half of the fun comes from making contact and seeing where it goes from there. If I get online and find out they are just camping berezino then I either go lone wolf and stalk people or log out for the night. 

• Like 3

It just dawned on me why they didn't see these persistence lag problems. They wiped persistence about every 2nd or 3rd day for most of the build.

• Like 3

Hicks' flight was cancelled so he is delayed returning to the CZ an extra day....

Edited by BioHaze

Exactly. This is precisely what I was talking about awhile back. I don't get what happened there. We saw no major gameplay changes during that time period either. Same thing happened with 0.58. In the beginning it was buttery smooth. Successive patches slowly degraded the experience. Then it hit Stable and now we have new performance issues that none of us saw at all in Exp. I wonder what is different about their Exp hive servers vs the publicly available ones. 

On a constantly full 50 player server you see what they have optimized, I do not play in cities but the full server handles play far better then it did in the past.

Optimization of resources to support numbers that significantly impact play style was non existent and to correct this a different approach has to be implemented.  As such, why waste resources to keep the early adopters somewhat content...

Now that I can understand and agree with. We'll see it they have it all ironed out when the finished product is released.   But none of that alters the fact that in order for an Alpha to be played there has to be some element of fun in it for the user. Another fact from my perspective is that the 30 skins I paid for DayZ SA have been a massive bargain. 

Edited by Xbow

Many of the performance gains were server-side.

Hicks discussed increasing the acceptable server performance level for future builds, in order to address desync and some other issues.

Has anyone had any luck finding a Winchester this patch? I have been around the map checking about every building I find for one and still, no luck. Id be glad to trade about anything for it.

Yes, they spawn in civilian houses, deer stands, cars, etc. They share the same spawn points as mosins, IZH-8, repeater, etc.

I have one with a hunting scope on a 1pp private hive.

Exactly.... They always say they work so much on the performance, and now they even almost removed all zombies because they are so bad for performance, and still the performance is horrible... good job guys.. I lost all hope this is every gonna work really well.

Some people believe that components of the new renderer have been put in place already but I do not think it is confirmed.

The bigger changes I know of are server side at this time I think but I would assume that the client side patches we get include optimization as well.

Whether server side or client side the outcome is the same at this point..... Lower FPS for the player.

The new renderer has been used internally for several months, but we haven't seen it yet. Hicks mentioned over the weekend, that they were getting particularly anxious about 0.58 taking so long to go to stable. He said that they were getting behind and they needed to finish w/ 0.58 so that various engine modules: the damage system, animation system, the renderer and some other new tech could be merged with the main trunk of code.

These are big changes which may very well break other existing code, so it may take some time, before we see a 0.59 on exp.

• Like 2

I dont understand that too, why something changed between Experimental and Stable.

I mean its the same Version and we dont had problems with big Camps in experimental and now on Stable why it changed?!

And because of performance my system is realy weak compared to the most other ppl here but i never have this

10-20 seconds hiccups for me its maybe 2-3 seconds not more.

But my settings are realy low maybe thats the reason?!

Edit: And in your Video it shows that almost 7200mb Ram is in use is that because you made a Video or whats the reason?

I think the game can only use 4096 mb and the system use maybe 1000mb or not?

Edited by xCrankx

I found one a few nights ago. But didn't keep it sorry.

They are spawning though.

I mean its the same Version and we dont had problems with big Camps in experimental and now on Stable why it changed?!

The last build of EXP had these exact same problems with lag/camps.

• Like 1