kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

The fire "blinding" you when staring directly at it is new though right? Royal pita for someone using 3 displays, if I have a fire or the moon anywhere on any of my displays everything else goes completely black. I get what they're going for but think it's a bit overdone.

Not sure if it's just me or my mismatched center screen (damn cat) but at night my periphery seems clearer and brighter just like IRL human night vision.   

That's not new, but for me it's inconsistent. A lot of the time, I feel like I can get away with pretty much staring right at the fire, but sometimes I have that same "blinded" effect.

The same effect (vision getting very bright/very dark) is something I've been playing around with in other situations, mimicking real life shrinking & dilating of your pupils. Makes for interesting pictures:

UHUNkLk.jpg

(That image isn't edited in any way.)

Edited by Tatanko

Well I'm on SW 01 and doing the normal run from beach inland and finding lots of gear, found a pile of ruined stuff and ducked into the bushes and snuck away, a couple bottles, shovel, pumpkin seeds, harvested pumpkins and filled up at a water pump. Damaged gloves, motorcycle helm, sunglasses, down jacket, cargo pants, wellies, press vest, trumpet, sporter and 100 rounds of .22 LR. Can opener, bandages, morphine, tire repair kit, several different types of ammo. Picking off the zombies from a distance and then slipping through towns and seeing zombies repop before I leave the town. Seems pretty laggy in big towns, people are saying it's fast, I don't see fast, seems the same as it has been for about 3 months when it comes to laggy graphics. 

Hey guys any idea on how to light the improvised torch? Sorry i've been out of the loop for weeks =0!

Edit: also i found another lootsplosion (military gear) =(

Edited by Grapefruit kush

UMPS I dunno, but I found my AK in a barracks.

I haven't left the Novo area in days but thanks to not keeping up on my rag supply, a zed, and the panicked poor choices I made after I'm back on the south coast in a t-shirt.

Are the long barracks still puking vests?

Some observations on loot re spawning having been on one server, stuck to a one town radius of one spot for 20 or so hours. Canned food isn't or is very slow re spawning, Jackets in the "old gun house" seem to be multiplying as time goes on, "courier bag kits" rope and burlap sacks side by side seem to be re spawning regularly if taken.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

Hey guys any idea on how to light the improvised torch? Sorry i've been out of the loop for weeks =0!

Click and drag the box of matches onto the torch in your inventory screen. Not the most intuitive, but that's the way to do it.

Where are umps and aks spawning. I have only found one ak and that was in a dear stand.  Lost that on server reset :-(

I found my UMP at a US heli crash.

• Like 1

Click and drag the box of matches onto the torch in your inventory screen. Not the most intuitive, but that's the way to do it.

oh ok i was hoping i could make it light up using a hand drill kit lol , i was hopeful, thanks anyways tatanko!

oh ok i was hoping i could make it light up using a hand drill kit lol , i was hopeful, thanks anyways tatanko!

Hmm. I don't recall whether or not that's possible. Give it a try... can't hurt.

That's not new, but for me it's inconsistent. A lot of the time, I feel like I can get away with pretty much staring right at the fire, but sometimes I have that same "blinded" effect.

The same effect (vision getting very bright/very dark) is something I've been playing around with in other situations, mimicking real life shrinking & dilating of your pupils. Makes for interesting pictures:

UHUNkLk.jpg

(That image isn't edited in any way.)

I can see what they're doing with the simulated pupil idea and like where it's going but right now it's just like the auto lighting adjustment on a cheap cheap dv mini camera. I get a constant flicker between brighter and darker when looking directly in line with the horizon and running. It's not infinitely variable like our eyes but works in steps and the steps are coarse enough to be noticeable.

I'm wondering if hardware or maybe latency have anything to do with the steps and effects because you're saying the fires and moon only blind you sometimes but mine is constant. From what I've seen the laptop plugged into the bigscreen the kids use is behaving the same as mine. Love being able to observe stuff from two setups at once when I have a helper handy and wifey isn't on Netflix.

I can see what they're doing with the simulated pupil idea and like where it's going but right now it's just like the auto lighting adjustment on a cheap cheap dv mini camera. I get a constant flicker between brighter and darker when looking directly in line with the horizon and running. It's not infinitely variable like our eyes but works in steps and the steps are coarse enough to be noticeable.

I'm wondering if hardware or maybe latency have anything to do with the steps and effects because you're saying the fires and moon only blind you sometimes but mine is constant. From what I've seen the laptop plugged into the bigscreen the kids use is behaving the same as mine. Love being able to observe stuff from two setups at once when I have a helper handy and wifey isn't on Netflix.

Agreed, the current implementation is less than ideal. I imagine that will change with the new renderer. Any work they put into it now probably isn't worth it because it would likely need to be redone later anyway.

Like I said, it can be very inconsistent for me. It used to REALLY be a problem for me, but I can't say when it stopped being as much of a problem or why. I'm on a desktop PC that I built myself now, and I used to play on a Macbook, but I don't think it was like a magical light switch that flipped when I changed machines.

-snip- but where are the undead ? =(

In that other game where the zombies are reanimated corpses.

These zombies are infected living people. -_-

Also, numbers were scaled back to work on performance issues related to infected AI.

• Like 2

In that other game where the zombies are reanimated corpses.

These zombies are infected living people. -_-

Also, numbers were scaled back to work on performance issues related to infected AI.

Ye, let's just hope this will not become another "Dust", with bigass bases everywhere and no zombies (cause ppl were to scared of them, surely :o)

Edited by robophant

Yeps, thanks for the great idea! :)

Ye, let's just hope this will not become another "Dust", with bigass bases everywhere and no zombies (cause ppl were to scared of them, surely :o)

Well, people make their own choices. Shooting an infected can attract an horde of infected. People who ignore/stealth infected will be not scared.

Guys, I died(!!!) because of karma (and the new UI)

Screen turned black/white rapidly.

My guy's brain was spamming the "dying of starvation" message.

My mouse went hot while I was madly trying to put all pieces together to cook some meat.

Placed millions of fireplaces cause the improvised fire starter kit kept giving me the message "can't ignite. too dangerous"

Finally started a fire right on the damn main road of some god forsaken town.

...and after all this I could not figure out how to put stuff into the damn cooking pot.

Be warned! Death comes in many disguises! This time he appeared in form of a recalcitrant cooking pot.

Karma is a ...

Edited by robophant
  • Like 1

You can light it off a fire so there's your process for using the hand drill kit.  Definitely not ideal, but neither is resorting to the hand drill kit in the first place.

You can light it off a fire so there's your process for using the hand drill kit.  Definitely not ideal, but neither is resorting to the hand drill kit in the first place.

What if there were no matches in the game anymore. Were would you be then, huh? Get in a firefight, get shot but still live. Hmm I need food, let's light this fire. Damn it! My matches are ruined.

The option to create a fire in life is life saving. Embrace the hand drill kit or you're not worth this precious item. My preciousssssss.

But I'm serious, embrace it. The trees will turn against you otherwise.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

I haven't left the Novo area in days but thanks to not keeping up on my rag supply, a zed, and the panicked poor choices I made after I'm back on the south coast in a t-shirt.

Are the long barracks still puking vests?

Some observations on loot re spawning having been on one server, stuck to a one town radius of one spot for 20 or so hours. Canned food isn't or is very slow re spawning, Jackets in the "old gun house" seem to be multiplying as time goes on, "courier bag kits" rope and burlap sacks side by side seem to be re spawning regularly if taken.

Appears so, yes. I was up at the derelict mil base up north of Sevrograd, the jail was completely empty but the barracks was decent, all vests except the plate carrier.  I am away from a barracks ATM, looking to replace my smersh rig with a fully kitted plate carrier at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by Barnabus

I'm OK with the pupil dilation feature, although it definitely needs some serious tuning before it becomes anything more than an annoyance.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I also get quite a lot of flickering of the "ambient light" (for lack of a better description) and I find this to be EXTREMELY annoying! Anecdotally, it seems to be more prevalent during twilight conditions and can be exacerbated by looking side to side. Luckily, I am not predisposed to seizures.

I don't see much point in complaining at this stage, at least not until the new renderer is implemented. At that point, we'll need to drive the point home with the devs, in order to ensure that it gets addressed.

• Like 2

Guys, I died(!!!) because of karma (and the new UI)

Screen turned black/white rapidly.

My guy's brain was spamming the "dying of starvation" message.

My mouse went hot while I was madly trying to put all pieces together to cook some meat.

Placed millions of fireplaces cause the improvised fire starter kit kept giving me the message "can't ignite. too dangerous"

Finally started a fire right on the damn main road of some god forsaken town.

...and after all this I could not figure out how to put stuff into the damn cooking pot.

Be warned! Death comes in many disguises! This time he appeared in form of a recalcitrant cooking pot.

Karma is a ...

bonus points for the use of "recalcitrant"

• Like 1

I feel special :D now back to the no internet fun place we like to call our summer beach house.

• Like 2

I feel special :D now back to the no internet fun place we like to call our summer beach house.

no Internet  /  fun place

Non sequitur!

• Like 1

Last I saw it was stick and rag. Word is that you can add fuel to it as well and make it burn longer, someone said something about a tree, maybe tree sap? 

It seems that fireplaces now disappear after only a few seconds. I can't even keep one around long enough to light it now :( Had two friends try it as well and had the same result. Tried BCBasher's method of looking in the inventory but the fireplace is totally gone. You can even put another in the stove and it still disappears immediately. Tried it in several different kinds of houses. Really hoping to see this fixed before 0.58 hits Stable. Anyone who has a second should upvote this on the feedback tracker (someone else started this ticket) : http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=26062

• Like 1