boneboys

Exp Update: 0.57128035*

Now if they meant tall buildings with more interesting structures like some of the stuff we have here in Detroit i would completely be ok with that to. Means more resource art though.

Examples

493050_1371509853.2651_multi.jpg

Detroit-1.gif

detroit-3d.jpg

Cherno and the cities around it honestly kind of reminds me of Detroit just needs more variety in building designs lol.

• Like 1

lol, you jsut want morgan freeman to will find his way home :)

Well, if they're going to remove it, i do hope some new and unique buildings will take up its place.

Edited by halp
  • Like 2

What I really want to see (and I prompted the response that has been quoted) is the same tower blocks but with perhaps one or two enterable floors only to simplify and make the building less resource hungry. All the same it'll be interesting to see what they do.

i dont think the buildings are out of the place but i really hate chapa for the fps drops u get there, god forbid u meet someone.

If u log in/out from chapa u can see how much stress it gives to your pc trying to render every floor and every item 12 stories above you..

tbh, i was hoping they will raze half of them or make them spawn no loot or only have 1 floor that's accessible.

I dont think people enjoy looting them, they are just nice sniper platforms.

Yep, to me high rise buildings are the epitome of game buggers.

- Don't look to good an all the same

- Repetitive rooms with identical design

- Little loot

- Only suitable for sniping, often as bambi camping and ruining other people's gaming experience (just like or worse than zombie one-hits)

Sure, the city needs them for "style", making them accessible on the other hand is redundant.

Now if they meant tall buildings with more interesting structures like some of the stuff we have here in Detroit i would completely be ok with that to. Means more resource art though.

Examples

493050_1371509853.2651_multi.jpg

Cherno and the cities around it honestly kind of reminds me of Detroit just needs more variety in building designs lol.

Now these houses really look extremely american to me as a middle-europpean-guy

Only europ. country that i could imagine having houses of exactly that style is UK, London for example ...

Czech buildings in smaller towns like in the game really don't look like that imo, as i am now and then driving through parts of the czech on my way to summer vacation

Edited by SpawnZ
  • Like 2

For anyone interested, I put together a small album of the underground areas in Kamensk that are being removed as well as Summer Camp Pioneer (R.I.P.)...

http://imgur.com/a/CUt50

yDyd3wj.jpg

• Like 4

For anyone interested, I put together a small album of the underground areas in Kamensk that are being removed as well as Summer Camp Pioneer (R.I.P.)...

http://imgur.com/a/CUt50

yDyd3wj.jpg

Wonderful.

I regret that I never went into the Kamensk mines before they were closed-off. It seems this experiment with putting in underground structures maybe didn't go as idealized. I guess we'll see what comes of them in the future.

• Like 3

Well my luck just ran out. For some time my go to spots for loot in the exp has been guard towers, since they actually spawn some good high end civilian loot, including all sorts of ammo, backpacks, weapons and food. I was at Kabanino military base just looting the towers, since all the other buildings contained nothing interesting.

The place was full of military zombies, so my sledgehammer came to good use. Unfortunately that was also when bad luck hit me first. After having created another crawler zombie with my trusty hammer, I turned to the guard tower and used the ladder. But I still had the hammer in my hands, and although the animation showed that my guy placed the hammer on his back before grabbing on to the ladder, the hammer instead off showing up in the inventory completely disappeared. I only noticed it when I came back down and another zombie attacked. The action menu showed the hammer good and fine in slot 1, but when I tabbed and pressed 1 nothing happened. I scrolled my inventory and the hammer was gone. I retraced my steps but it was nowhere to be found. Swallowed by the great unknown. I had to use my chambered cr75 to take out the rest of the zombies. It was good fun, and I had plenty of 9mm, but I still missed my hammer.

Second stroke of bad luck hit me a short while later as I climbed the ladder of another guard tower. As usual I just peered my head into the tower, not bothering actually entering it, because the "Take" option appears on any loot present. And sure enough, 3 pristine kitchen knives. So I press my mmb pick up the first, the "Take" option is still there so I just press mmb twice to pick up the other 2 (I had plenty of inv space), however just after the first click the icon changes from "Take" to the icon image showing a ladder with a downward pointing arrow. It happens too fast for my mind to react and I just press mmb again to pick up that last damn knife, and of course that is when I order my character to let go of his hold on the ladder. The realisation comes to me as he starts to slide. Half a second later, a short thud is heard and the screen goes black: "You are dead".

I must admit a certain amount of pessimism overtook me after that. And it didn't help that the game crashes on account of memory leak after my new respawn outside of Elektro. I restarted twice and it crashes right after I join the server and take my first step.

It certainly can be a frustrating experience to play exp sometimes, but that damn ladder slide option is not part of the exp experience, that is just a stupid feature that should not have been introduced into this game. It serves no purpose whatsoever other as another method of suiciding (as if we needed another method to get killed by ladders).

Sorry for the rant. Just venting off some steam. Already feel better.

Lol, im avoiding those towers since 2002 :D

RIP...

I regret that I never went into the Kamensk mines

Dont worry the mines were really poor. there was only a small tunnel, 1 minute walk. no nice textures just a hole. You have nicer "caves" around svetlo-berezhki "peninsula"

Too bad the pits are going. Those were awesome. I remember the first time i looked down the massive grave one, muh immersion.

Im wondering, is this being done due to world objects hitting its limit? Didn't they say they are reaching the hard obj. limit (or something lik that?) just before 0.55 hit stable ?

The pits were great, only reason to remove them would be "more resources" for Tisy ...

Edited by halp

Ah crap, I must have missed that. I don't agree with this move at all, especially considering that nothing is being left in their place either. One more thing I need to document before it's gone...

Is it all of the tall apartment buildings? Or just a few in that area? I've been elsewhere on the map and it doesn't appear they began deleting them elsewhere (yet).

I've no idea. I didn't know they were missing until the mention on this thread and then I remembered the quote from the other. I'm not sure it's 100% certain they are gone forever just that they've thought about it.

I think they are iconic though I rarely go inside them. The last time people used them much was when tents first came out and they used to spawn on the upper floors. Hopefully they rework them to be less fps hungry though remaining similar visually. I've always though there were too many so maybe they could just replace/remove some.

• Like 1

Wonderful.

I regret that I never went into the Kamensk mines before they were closed-off. It seems this experiment with putting in underground structures maybe didn't go as idealized. I guess we'll see what comes of them in the future.

Lol, im avoiding those towers since 2002 :D

Dont worry the mines were really poor. there was only a a small tunnel, a 1 minute walk.

Too bad the pits are going. Those were awesome. I remember the first time i looked down the massive grave one, muh immersion.

Im wondering, is this being done due to world objects hitting its limit? Didn't they say they are reaching the hard obj. limit (or something lik that?) just before 0.55 hit stable ?

The pits were great, only reason to remove them would be "more resources" for Tisy ...

halp, you take that back! :p

I actually liked the Kamensk cave. It definitely wasn't anything spectacular, but we had an awesome event there back in December on the DayZ Colony server.

http://imgur.com/a/qVV7l(Yes, I have pictures for everything ;))

0Cma1RH.jpg

• Like 3

I have to say, whoever keeps saying they can not find food/drink/loot etc, you have clearly been looking in the wrong places.. I found all of the following in about 10 minutes up in Klen and was basically self sufficient and ready to go! Just need to craft some arrows and I am good.. Did however see a fox which was awesome, killed it (felt bad) and made a water pouch with the skin, which I hadn't done before and is truly fantastic. I love the fact you don't actually need to loot anything anymore really (other than a bag of some description!)

zyLneTn.jpg

• Like 1

halp, you take that back! :P

I actually liked the Kamensk cave. It definitely wasn't anything spectacular, but we had an awesome event there back in December on the DayZ Colony server.

Oh, i would always prefer it to stay open, it was still worth a trip. I only said it because he probably thinks he missed some epic mines with rails&cards and so much of awesome...

Taking it back, it was a nice location :P

Does this removal mean they wont rework the cave at all (leave the entrance shut) ?

Edited by halp

Now these houses really look extremely american to me as a middle-europpean-guy

Only europ. country that i could imagine having houses of exactly that style is UK, London for example ...

Czech buildings in smaller towns like in the game really don't look like that imo, as i am now and then driving through parts of the czech on my way to summer vacation

But its a made up area so we could see some buildings like this regardless to ease up the everything looking exactly the same.

Edited by Deathlove

as well as Summer Camp Pioneer (R.I.P.)...

Do we know why? I think those camps are great!

• Like 1

Oh, i would always prefer it to stay open, it was still worth a trip. I only said it because he probably thinks he missed some epic mines with rails&cards and so much of awesome...

Taking it back, it was a nice location :P

Does this removal mean they wont rework the cave at all (leave the entrance shut) ?

Good question, it's entirely possible that they've closed it off to work on in quiet what they might open up again sometime. Or perhaps it'll remain closed but they'll pursue Dean's idea of creating TES-style transitions. Or perhaps they'll do nothing more with them. Edited by Ebrim

Like a two-story log cabin? 109 098 is just outside Msta, is that right?

Affirmative on both counts.

• Like 1

Do we know why? I think those camps are great!

Not sure. This one puzzles me the most, because there was no talk of it and no obvious reason why it should be removed like the pits (technical reasons). It was added in 0.55 and then removed in the very next version :(

• Like 1

Ah crap, I must have missed that. I don't agree with this move at all, especially considering that nothing is being left in their place either. One more thing I need to document before it's gone...

Is it all of the tall apartment buildings? Or just a few in that area? I've been elsewhere on the map and it doesn't appear they began deleting them elsewhere (yet).

They could use a facelift, but they should stay. Once we have proper occlusion culling, they wont kill the FPS, like they do now.

• Like 2

Also even though melee is kind of messed up these are the most satisfying infected to fight.

Hit detection against them, in my opinion, seems pretty good (better than ever), honestly. Crawlers are a massive pain to fight, though. They definitely need to be worked on (it's impossible to punch them, at least, unless you are literally stood on top of them). They just have issues hitting you, at the moment.

I took out a mini-horde of four zombies with just my fists without any serious kiting yesterday. Didn't even bleed. It's nice to be able to beat zombies to death with my bare hands. Just super fucking satisfying.

I have to say, whoever keeps saying they can not find food/drink/loot etc, you have clearly been looking in the wrong places.. I found all of the following in about 10 minutes up in Klen and was basically self sufficient and ready to go! Just need to craft some arrows and I am good.. Did however see a fox which was awesome, killed it (felt bad) and made a water pouch with the skin, which I hadn't done before and is truly fantastic. I love the fact you don't actually need to loot anything anymore really (other than a bag of some description!)

zyLneTn.jpg

Well, I'd say that it's still pretty much required to loot some things. For example, rope is an important item to make a bow, backpack or fishing rod. You can use intestines, but killing any animal without a ranged weapon is a massive pain in the ass when they're working properly. Also, is there any way to craft leather clothing, water skins etc without a sewing kit? If not, what about splintering a bone with a rock and then using it with a rag to make an improvised sewing kit?

Now, if they let us remove the laces from shoes, instantly ruining them, but giving us some rope, I would be very happy. No longer need to loot anything at all and well... Something that is incredibly common and incredibly useful (rope) is a bit more realistic thanks to it.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 1

Yep, to me high rise buildings are the epitome of game buggers.

- Don't look to good an all the same

- Repetitive rooms with identical design

- Little loot

- Only suitable for sniping, often as bambi camping and ruining other people's gaming experience (just like or worse than zombie one-hits)

Sure, the city needs them for "style", making them accessible on the other hand is redundant.

I agree that the structures should be changed to make them more interesting and loot should be rearranged within them to make them more desirable however getting rid of them because you fear being sniped isn't a valid reason.

Sniper play is a valid style and getting ride of terrain that can be used to our advantage is silly if you ask me. Snipers can just as easily be taken out by a person with a pistol or an AR or AK if they don't pay attention to there surroundings.

Reducing door function and accessibility would be not only silly but unrealistic to. It was one of the big immersion breakers of the mod for me not being able to go into various houses or to even open up doors.

Good question, it's entirely possible that they've closed it off to work on in quiet what they might open up again sometime. Or perhaps it'll remain closed but they'll pursue Dean's idea of creating TES-style transitions. Or perhaps they'll do nothing more with them.

While ago there was an question to hicks on twitter "are there underground areas planned for the future?"

Hicks answered "no plans for that this time"

And one other of the team meant, that underground areas will not work with the old engine, same like snow and rivers. 

• Like 2

Well, I'd say that it's still pretty much required to loot some things. For example, rope is an important item to make a bow, backpack or fishing rod. You can use intestines, but killing any animal without a ranged weapon is a massive pain in the ass when they're working properly. Also, is there any way to craft leather clothing, water skins etc without a sewing kit? If not, what about splintering a bone with a rock and then using it with a rag to make an improvised sewing kit?

Now, if they let us remove the laces from shoes, instantly ruining them, but giving us some rope, I would be very happy. No longer need to loot anything at all and well... Something that is incredibly common and incredibly useful (rope) is a bit more realistic thanks to it.

Yeah true, admittedly I killed the fox with a splitting axe, which I assume I won't be able to do when it all works better. So yeah, a rope for a bow will always be required as will a rope and sack for a backpack (unless there is another craftable backpack I don't know about?). I like the idea of making your own sewing kit, could use your idea of the shoe laces for that too rather than the rags. I would like to see a lot more improvised and crafted items added into the game, there is already a good set in there but expanding it further would be nice. 

While ago there was an question to hicks on twitter "are there underground areas planned for the future?"

Hicks answered "no plans for that this time"

And one other of the team meant, that underground areas will not work with the old engine, same like snow and rivers. 

Yeah, I remember that too and then they went ahead with these bunkers and the mine, maybe as a proof of concept to see what might be possible.

Yeah true, admittedly I killed the fox with a splitting axe, which I assume I won't be able to do when it all works better. So yeah, a rope for a bow will always be required as will a rope and sack for a backpack (unless there is another craftable backpack I don't know about?). I like the idea of making your own sewing kit, could use your idea of the shoe laces for that too rather than the rags. I would like to see a lot more improvised and crafted items added into the game, there is already a good set in there but expanding it further would be nice. 

You actually don't need rope for anything but the improv courier bag/improv backpack. You can use large intestines for making fishing rods and hunting bows. Also, if you have a sewing kit and 5 tanned leather you can make a leather sack which is a backpack 4 slots larger than the improv backpack, no rope (or guts) required at all. According to this post from Peter improvised options for the leather sewing kit are already in the works or even ready for implementation.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 3