boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

While I appreciate the support - insults or attacks aren't needed. We don't need the forums degrading into bickering. =P

• Like 10

While I appreciate the support - insults or attacks aren't needed. We don't need the forums degrading into bickering. =P

I think the main problem is that people really enjoy playing dayz. So much that they get upset when they are not able to enjoy it. heck, I cant say there is another title on the market that i have enjoyed more and its only an alpha. I think its understood that there will be 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards... but you cant sit there and defend the persistence system like there is nothing wrong with it, its been broken for forever, way before .55 ... for two weeks you'll say "there's loot i don't know what you're talking about" then just a few days ago finally come out and say " oh right, its broken ".

honestly you can create as many bugs as you fix as long as there is transparency. Don't use the CYOA technique it just pisses people off.

iv preached for a totally random loot spawn for ages... but there also has to be locations where it will bottle neck player interaction. you're doing a good job and anyone can see progress from .53 to .55

the reason why i hated .55 was choppers are still broken beyond belief, and tents wouldn't survive server restarts.

In my opinion I'v server hopped way less since .55 and think the new persistence is a great work in progress. the only draw back is that it is going to take someone 3-7 days to find the same items they previously would have found in 3-7 hours.

maybe eventually there will be AI trading posts that will allow you to trade some goods for others? that would be cool, and would kinda fix the problem of having to search the entire map over the course of 3 days looking for the one item you need.

Edited by twr

Was the update an hotfix for the heat maps of the loot tables, or a roll back?

It seems that the loot spawns are back to what they were. Outhouses and civilian houses don't spawn M65 jackets or vests.

Gonna test out tonight to see if anything else changed. Can we still find "military" type gear in civilian places? I wonder.

Like I said, I'm glad I enjoyed to weird loot spawns while we had them!!  :lol:

• Like 1

Was the update an hotfix for the heat maps of the loot tables, or a roll back?

We are now playing with the old loot spawning system instead of the central loot economy that 0.55 debuted with. The goal is that 0.56 (including Experimental I hope) will re-introduce central loot economy but with fixes for issues regarding loot not properly respawning over longer periods of time. By then they should be able to include additional properly configured loot categories as well, since Hicks mentioned that what we were seeing previously in 0.55 was with firearms being the only category properly configured (and everything else random-ish).

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

Just started playing after a bit of a break, had to check out Frontier's "alpha".  I'm liking the progress on the AI, as well as the new content and have found it very refreshing these past couple of evenings having to play with a sense of urgency again.

Not sure what's going on with this thread as of late though.  To me anyways, it appears that the provided information / context of where we are at in its development is fundamentally being ignored.  This however, as I've come to learn, is apparently typical...

• Like 1

AK74 were not gone, the AK101 was away from the loot tables. But the 74 and 74u were spawning at police cars (dynamic) and UAZ wrecks. Found many in 0.55.

Yep, you're right. 101 is what I meant.

• Like 1

Yes, they are all versions for testing. I read that before. But shouldn't there be some point in calling a version stable? I see different versions every week, but none of them I'd call stable. I often find the experimental versions to be just as stable as the stable one. My point is not about you giving names to things they are not, my point is that this may harm the longterm development more than you realize. For you keep developing a stable version that changes too quickly to be called anything but experimental 2. My point is there should be a stable version (somewhere), which we can play and be sure about (no guesswork about what works and what does not!); and this version should not get touched in months. Even if this version will be reduced and have fewer features, we can at least enjoy it.

I like Dayz, lot of good things to say about it, but your builds are the most chaotic I have ever seen in a game development. It goes one step ahead and two steps back. You simply move too fast to put everything into stable at the time. I don't know if that is by budget restraints, but what I said weeks ago still holds true: Dayz is not ready to become a beta at the end of the year.

Rockstar took 4 years to make GTA V. And they have done it before, four times actually. Both games (GTA + Dayz) are sandbox titles and both suffer from typical sandbox problems and glitches, which can often lead to hilarious results. However, Rockstar had a team of 400 people and a budget of god knows how much. They build on PC but planned for Consoles and PC. In short: they did brilliantly and planned past the initial release! So, which of the afore mentioned qualities is it you lack? The budget, the manpower or the organisation? I guess it is a bit of them all. I can tell you this: the sooner you admit Dayz won't reach beta in 2015 and the sooner you start relaxing and getting the team back on a true course (not a fictional one), the more understanding the fanbase will be. This game you hope will happen, it won't happen in time. So now is the right time to start making changes to a development that stresses both, devs and alpha players and roll back to whatever is working at the moment.

Well to put this easily 7 , that whole block of text is just purely your opinion . I think if anything the majority of people unhappy with dayz would say you are wrong about it going too fast , they would say that it goes too slow ... In reality many are finally accepting that this is truly an early access alpha , and that we are not buying the final product just yet , (technically we are just reserving it at a reduced price with the ability to help with development) so we should not assume we are going to have a "stable" experience ever (until beta / full release), more over I'm sure the developers are now regretting their decision to name the two public builds "experimental" and "stable" as it is just confusing people like yourself.

Then again , if it was named something like "experimental" and "still experimental but a little bit more stable sometimes" people would still find a reason to complain ... I don't think keeping an old archaic build just for the sake of people playing more smoothly would make any sense because again , this is NOT a finished game so why would you assume going back to a more stripped down version of dayz would work ? There would still be bugs , there would still be bugs created when you snap together two systems of code (mechanics being added) which you would have to eventually do no matter how slow you develop it . You are essentially asking To scrap all progress made because you don't want to deal with the transition period that is albeit rough but needed ... Although the devs technically could make a few servers with an old version number, they would still have to introduce other systems into it eventually even when you go at a snails pace so there would be no difference except we would have to wait many more months for the full release , which is pointless if it has no benefits to it whatsoever ..

So when you say "go slower to achieve bug less and perfectly stable builds" I have to remind you that it is impossible to do that in an open early access alpha with your development build process in mind or the devs , but it's safe to say the development process that is undergoing in dayz is the right one seeing as it has more potential already as an early access alpha than any other game I've played all my life ...

And the fact that we take one step forwards and two back, well that is game development for ya my friend , you said it yourself GTA 5 took 4 years (in a closed internal development course , which usually takes longer as they don't have as many "testers") and regardless of how rich/well manned your company is, a decent MMO (or survival game) only takes so much man power and money , so what I'm getting at is I know dayz / Bohemia has plenty of both - and really you just have to learn to live with open public development of alpha games - at least if you want to play this game before it releases you do ...

So a word to the wise : don't get frustrated with the development and think the devs are somehow pulling our chain, or are incompetent because it's clear to see that with all these people so interested in an early access alpha, and with all the detail and content that's in an unfinished game, that these devs know what their doing .. Of course criticism is welcome but to think they don't know what they are doing even with simple things like the process of development in open alphas, (which has been the same for a very long time mind you , internal build -opt in [experimental] - public build [stable] that's how It is and how it should STAY!) is wrong .

• Like 7

My point wasn't about the Alpha. I know it's an Alpha and I embrace that fact. 

You should take your dog for a walk or get some pet penny turtles to ease the pain..         everybody loves penny turtles.

OK gang, I have to say this late afternoon/night time play clock sucks-a-bunch.  Build 55 has been a difficult pill to swallow as it is but adding over exaggerated sun glare and darkness to the mix just makes it unfun.  If you’re lucky you can get an hour or so of good play time but then as the clock ticks down it starts to become a strain.  Having zombies drop out of nowhere and start ripping your clothes to ruin was bad enough but now it’s a pain in the arse & balls to try and scout ahead and plan your run when the sun is blazing in your face as if you were looking through a dirty windshield.  I agree with some of the others, one step forward and two back. 54 has been my best playing experience hands down.

But don’t listen to my ramblings; look at your own server list. The full servers are the ones running morning and midday schedules.  All the ones running at 1600 or later are under populated. You hardcore players might like this (less loot to share or people to deal with) but there’s no way this can be the majority.  At the DayZ SA office Monday morning meeting the data analyst is going to present a pie chart showing the lack of participation or the how the sales numbers have dropped since the 55 build and how much further they’ve dropped since the implementation of the late afternoon/night  time clock. This translates into less money getting spread around the old office budget. Bosses and investors don’t like that and that’s because they are the ones who are really calling the shots.  So I’m hopping Fat Daddy with the big cigar cracks some sculls down in the cubicle farm and gets this ship turned around.

Or maybe I don’t know anything.  

That’s right! You don’t know anything about what you’re saying!

(I put this here so you self-proclaimed admins won’t have to waste your time writing it)

I see different versions every week, but none of them I'd call stable.

Does your version crash do to errors, no, the program is able to handle many errors without anything critical happening. There have been instances, but they deal with a hotfix ASP. There is no standard to "stable", but I've had no real critical issues since release, that haven't been dealt with. What your suggesting is pretty off base.

I suggest you look into what the beta will entail in advance so you can know to expect. Also, arma is a great platform to start learning scripting and multiplayer environments, give it a try, will give you a better perspective.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Judged_Guilty   

"OK gang, I have to say this late afternoon/night time play clock sucks-a-bunch.  Build 55 has been a difficult pill to swallow as it is but adding over exaggerated sun glare and darkness to the mix just makes it unfun.  If you’re lucky you can get an hour or so of good play time but then as the clock ticks down it starts to become a strain.  Having zombies drop out of nowhere and start ripping your clothes to ruin was bad enough but now it’s a pain in the arse & balls to try and scout ahead and plan your run when the sun is blazing in your face as if you were looking through a dirty windshield.  I agree with some of the others, one step forward and two back. 54 has been my best playing experience hands down.

But don’t listen to my ramblings; look at your own server list. The full servers are the ones running morning and midday schedules.  All the ones running at 1600 or later are under populated. You hardcore players might like this (less loot to share or people to deal with) but there’s no way this can be the majority.  At the DayZ SA office Monday morning meeting the data analyst is going to present a pie chart showing the lack of participation or the how the sales numbers have dropped since the 55 build and how much further they’ve dropped since the implementation of the late afternoon/night  time clock. This translates into less money getting spread around the old office budget. Bosses and investors don’t like that and that’s because they are the ones who are really calling the shots.  So I’m hopping Fat Daddy with the big cigar cracks some sculls down in the cubicle farm and gets this ship turned around.

Or maybe I don’t know anything. " 

I am out in the woods / and I love your tears..

TuT.

Edited by tuthmes

How rare are the big military tents supposed to be?

I have 3 in a few hours on one server, Is that normal?

One from NWAF barracks and 2 from the western tent city barracks.

It's a low pop and it's stuck on night time but 2 in one building seems like allot either way. 

I say this all the time and it still doesn't get through

(technically we are just reserving it at a reduced price with the ability to help with development)

Not sure if this is true, but I think a big problem is that the experimental branch doesn't have enough people or servers, and not enough feedback form those players. Many new bugs are going to be found when 10x or 100x the amount of people are playing. You can't expect any changes towards the final product without hiccups along the way. Play the Mod if you want something that has all features implemented and less bugs.

Comparing GTA V to DayZ SA (or Rockstar to BI) is fucking ridiculous. And to say that the dev team isn't on track, you clearly aren't paying attention to any official roadmaps or status updates, of which the devs have stated that they are on track with what they have planned.

Are you serious? Like an hour after an update is released the forum here is full of comments about the main problems, and those then usually remain unfixed for weeks or month. Surely a lack of feedback is not the main problem these guys have....

And the comparison to GTA V is indeed really off, GTA should take much more time to develop when using the same circumstances, but of course they are not the same. None should forget that even when DayZ is finished some day, it still is a game basically without "real content". No Story, no Quests, no dialogues, nothing, just basic game mechanics. Make the same basic animations, crafting and whatever, and they should work for everyone under all circumstances directly, in case the engine is any good..... What do you think, how long does it take to create all those missions GTA has?

Edited by ErichZann

Whats the problem here? We had max 1 harder week and now the devs gave us a useable (old) loot system back till they fix the new one. Perfect acting! Thanks! Stable in this release progress can only mean it don't crashes all the time and you can play SOME situations. One time more, one time less. NOT a limited game in features. Keep that in mind!

What i can report is: Keep away from crashed trucks (fallen to the side)! My buddy and I were able to climb out without an injury. I landed on the wheel side and was able to run away. My buddy landed on the roof side and instantly his legs were broken and he was dead in the next second. I did the mistake running to his body for loot saving. Instantly i was dead. We were geared as Green Berets. Sh**. Alpha. Bad luck. But be aware!

The full servers are the ones running morning and midday schedules.  All the ones running at 1600 or later are under populated.

I just put in an accelerated time schedule, so the server starts at 7am and come restart it's 7pm and it's busiest my server's been throughout the night haha

Edited by Euphobia
  • Like 1

soooo the old loot system is back, persistance is also currently out of discussion if I understood things correctly, zeds have been discussed quite thoroughly ... anything specific we should look out for? Can't think of anything big left ... well, the normal bug thingies, but patch related, we are pretty much done, right?

Edited by bautschi

Paired with this hotfix, we will be instructing GSPs to reset the persistence structure for each stable branch server. So pack up those tents post haste. Moving forward we'll be segregating the base building type objects from the main persistence structure, so in the case of any issues like this popping up again during development - player camps will not be effected.

Hey everyone can I get some clarification on the tent persistence since the roll-back to the legacy loot system. The status report was a bit unclear as least to my reading of it anyway. Does he mean that moving forward with 56 or does he mean moving forward with 55.127157? Since the status was posted before the latest patch 55.127157 I didn't know.

Basically, I just want to know if I put my tent and garden back down and stock up will it stay after the server maintenance next week?

I just put in an accelerated time schedule, so the server starts at 7am and come restart it's 7pm and it's busiest my server's been throughout the night haha

We're gonna give this a try as well. We've seen our server slip just a little from the Top 10 so trying to spice things up a bit :)  

Hey everyone can I get some clarification on the tent persistence since the roll-back to the legacy loot system. The status report was a bit unclear as least to my reading of it anyway. Does he mean that moving forward with 56 or does he mean moving forward with 55.127157? Since the status was posted before the latest patch 55.127157 I didn't know.

Basically, I just want to know if I put my tent and garden back down and stock up will it stay after the server maintenance next week?

As for the immediate future, people are still reporting their tents are disappearing after a server restart unfortunately. I'd make sure you can keep your tent before next week even comes.

I believe that we'll see another persistence "wipe" when .56 is deployed and not before. <<< purely my opinion :)

Edited by The Riddler

The private Vilayer server I play on was persistent all afternoon/evening haven't checed this morning, Still haven't tested my public yet. Drop a backpack or something and wait for a server restart, I found a truck in the wrong spot with the doors shut and a full tank on my private which was a good sign.

I think I may have confused you guys with what my question is. I have never had a problem with container items staying persistent after server reboots on persistent servers. What I have had problems with are tents and/or container items staying persistent after weekly server maintenance occurs. This was fixed with 55 where tents were actually completely persistent even after weekly server maintenance however they just wiped it and I wish to know if my tent and garden will stay after weekly server maintenance occurs

I think I may have confused you guys with what my question is. I have never had a problem with container items staying persistent after server reboots on persistent servers. What I have had problems with are tents and/or container items staying persistent after weekly server maintenance occurs. This was fixed with 55 where tents were actually completely persistent even after weekly server maintenance however they just wiped it and I wish to know if my tent and garden will stay after weekly server maintenance occurs

Weekly persistence wipes have nothing to do with what version we are on, and they were (are) not a bug -- they were done intentionally. They've stopped doing them as of now because they don't feel they are totally necessary at the moment except when major changes are made (such as reverting to the old loot system yesterday).

• Like 2

Are heli crashes moving around on server reboots? and if they are is the loot spawning on them? or are they still broke.

I think I may have confused you guys with what my question is. I have never had a problem with container items staying persistent after server reboots on persistent servers. What I have had problems with are tents and/or container items staying persistent after weekly server maintenance occurs. This was fixed with 55 where tents were actually completely persistent even after weekly server maintenance however they just wiped it and I wish to know if my tent and garden will stay after weekly server maintenance occurs

I think the latest official statement is "maybe"? The wipe we just had was not originally planned.

I really enjoyed the chaotic randomness of the wonky first iteration of global loot economy but I have faith in the judgement of the devs if they think it needed to be rolled back in any way and for any reason.

As stated by others, I am seeing some of the newer items still (chainsaw, .308 boxed and loose, bear trap).

I played most of the day yesterday in 1PP with a new friend building our camp of 2 civilian tents and a military tent.

I'm hoping that the rumors of persistence not working currently don't apply to the server with our camp.... this is why I haven't done camp sites in the SA yet, they are a lot of work for something that can so easily get glitched and disappear. Never get attached to your gear, right?

When logged onto the server in the afternoon we were about -1hr from Sunset.

By 2am my time, the sun had risen over Chernarus again.

I don't care much for the current look of night time in DayZ and I have high hopes for DX12's contributions to improving this.

That being said, I can play fairly comfortably in night servers for a few days before I get "bored" with gray scale, especially if it's been awhile.

Looting 1PP servers I was on last night was boring/anticlimactic (except for the military tent).

The last loot system made people start to loot differently and now they are not only scouring the hot spots but scouring more of the remote towns too (or so it seemed).

All military and Police locations on the 2 servers we played on had mostly scraps left behind and it seemed like the (unannounced) server restarts weren't respawning loot.

I also haven't ran with another player much since the mod and it's definitely helping to breath more life into DayZ for me at the moment.

Obviously having a partner has always been in many ways an advantage but I think 0.55 has made partnering up much more crucial to thriving and having any sense of security.

I did quite well solo in 0.55 exp>stable, but pairing up against the current infected for the last few days, with firearms, really levels the playing field and has provided some good action and suspense.

• Like 3