boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

where did you find cooking pots?

One in the little grey huts with side porch and one in the red house with stair case on either side of building on top of cooker. Large gas canister was in the red house too.

where did you find cooking pots?

I found a few in those brown sheds.

2mc7q4j.jpg

Works great for cooking meat.

2ug16xh.jpg

• Like 1

I found a few in those brown sheds.

Works great for cooking meat.

F@ckshit!!! In previus updates I carried pot and gas cooker like an idiot, and never had to use them because food was everywhere. Now all those private servers desapeared. Now that these are super rare, I cant find any. That is life in Chernarus.

• Like 1

Never seen a cooking pot in 0.55, instead now I religiously pick up charcoal tabs and use them in case food poisoning sets in from eating raw food. I find this is particularly the case with guts. Perhaps it's not ideal but it is a practical work around.

I'm also pretty happy with the random nature of foragables as they are. The price component here is time for a little bit of always available food. Fish have a time component as well, for more food (when they are working properly) plus other resources there's both a time price and a digging instrument wear price (you need worms).

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 3

My first time posting. Hello all and to the devs, i love your game.

Comments on .55:

1) The zeds changes are great. Obviously there are some issues but the difficulty is spot on.

2) The redistribution of loot is good also. I found an ammo crate in a house! Chasing heli sites for gear was getting tiresome.

3) The reduction of canned foods is perfect. Its a survival game afterall :D

I had to change my food strategy completely just to survive. Loved it. Very challenging. It raised a few questions along the way:

1) has anyone seen a cooking pot or cooking sticks in .55? I haven't. Haven't seen any gas canisters either. Makes cooking undo-able unless you happen on one or the other.

My first time posting. Hello all and to the devs, i love your game.

Comments on .55:

1) The zeds changes are great. Obviously there are some issues but the difficulty is spot on.

2) The redistribution of loot is good also. I found an ammo crate in a house! Chasing heli sites for gear was getting tiresome.

3) The reduction of canned foods is perfect. Its a survival game afterall :D

I had to change my food strategy completely just to survive. Loved it. Very challenging. It raised a few questions along the way:

1) has anyone seen a cooking pot or cooking sticks in .55? I haven't. Haven't seen any gas canisters either. Makes cooking undo-able unless you happen on one or the other.

Cooking pot and pan i found the last time i was on i can confirm they are in the current build; it was in a private shard that i mostly play in as well not sure if that makes a difference.

Also if you attach the cooking pot on a gas stove it only takes up two spots instead of the traditional 4 from the pot

To everyone complaining about loot...Change your play style its more scare like an apocalypse should be...yes, it takes long to find ammo and a decent firearm; That's life though...  you should have to pick and search through everything to find loot that i presume others have done before you. Before humanity was almost virtually wiped off the planet. Some of the spawning is nonsense on location wise I'd have to concur,but its a nice mix up.

Edited by Scarcifer
  • Like 1

Never seen a cooking pot in 0.55, instead now I religiously pick up charcoal tabs and use them in case food poisoning sets in from eating raw food. I find this is particularly the case with guts. Perhaps it's not ideal but it is a practical work around.

I'm also pretty happy with the random nature of foragables as they are. The price component here is time for a little bit of always available food. Fish have a time component as well, for more food (when they are working properly) plus other resources there's both a time price and a digging instrument wear price (you need worms).

Makes sense that you get sick from the guts more, since they are full of e.coli 

I still haven't found a cooking pot. And I have been everywhere. It's great that people are happy finding gas cookers and stuff like that, but there are definitely no gas canisters spawning for me. I see the damn cookers every couple of houses. The server I play on is blissfully empty now, nobody wants to play there anymore. I think you guys telling me/us to redefine our strategies are either playing on private shards or on strange servers. I find stuff, yeah. I find shovels, fertilizer, wire, even sewing kits. I find food and water bottles, clothing, tools, scopes, first aid kits, melee weapons, buttstocks (not for MP5 though). I don't find pots, gas canisters, pistols, magazines/ammo for Ak101/M4. 

Does anyone else have it that one of their pumpkin plants is always rotting? Weirdly the plant I planted second was done growing before the first and the first spawned a pumpkin that was rotten from the start. 

Edited by S3V3N

I've been playing the 0.55 for 64 hours for now.

Here is some opinions of my.

So. Some bad stuff first.

1. There are no zombie footsteps.

2. 90% of the time, zombies "growl" after I've either shot them, or locked them in a house.

3. Zombie hit animation is broken. One swing = four hits on me.

4. Couple of zombies ran towards me from miles away, and couple came through the door while running.

Must be something with the zombies "scanning" players nearby. (Their heads tilt towards players near)

5. Improvised bow doesn't work. My guy just holds the arrow part and pokes around.

6. Either I find no clothes, food or guns at all, or I can find M65 jackets, high cap vest, smerch vest+bag and

other cool stuff from a single outdoor wc. Same goes with policestations and guns. Sometimes just handcuffs,

and sometimes pistols, mp5:s and buttloads of mags. Mostly 30rnd.

7. Only once had a moment where invisible zombie killed my friend, and broke all my stuff.

8. Lots of loot glitched on the ground. I can take items carried by other, from the ground. (food, guns, etc.)

And then the goods.

1. I really like the way, where the zombie's AI etc. are going.

2. Good amounts of game to hunt.

3. Died by cholera. Only wish that there would be medication working on it.

4. Boosted up the difficulty and the learning curve.

5. I have played more as a hero, and I have been searching for fresh spawns, so I could give them food and water.

Maybe even a lift.

6. My guns can get broken too! Before this patch, only guns that I found from heli crash sites needed some cleaning.

7. Zombies stagger after a hit/shot. Nice.

• Like 1

Makes sense that you get sick from the guts more, since they are full of e.coli 

I agree. :D

Maybe one day we can clean them and make sausages....

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 3

I like most of the changes to the infected so far but I think their health and damage need to be brought down a little bit.

Some melee weapons should definitely be more devastating to humans and infected.

Foraging for apples needs to be a little easier. It always seems really silly to see a tree full of apples and spend twenty minutes hitting "F" over and over again just to get a couple.

Hunger and thirst should be slowed up. I had a new spawned character unable to find food of any kind starve to death in about thirty minutes. My buddy went through five spawns in a row that all starved a few days after the update went in. Way overboard.

Respawning of loot needs to be much faster. A few days after the update most of the servers appear to be almost picked clean. Fairly certain because of the slow respawn of loot many people spent a few days server hopping like crazy to get geared up and stay fed. Currently, you have to run to the nearest apple trees and forage them until full and your pockets full of them. Then travel until the next apple trees. Rinse and repeat or you starve. Not enough food left or loot that will enable you to hunt to get food after a few days of people server hopping and wiping everything out.

Frequency of knives, rope, and burlap needs to be much higher to allow for the crafting of a bow or carrying bag if you cannot find a pack or weapon to hunt with.

Several times a friend and myself have been pursued or killed by invisible infected.

At first my friends and I were very pleased with the changes until starting new characters and finding all the loot wiped out from most servers in a few days. It has become rather frustrating or repetitive having to play Apple Picking in the Apocalypse lately.

Edited by Necromacus

I found this patch has made the game considerably less enjoyable.  As a new spawn, gaining the attention of a zombie is pretty much a death sentence to me.  I can't seem to get my frame rate above 15 in towns, so I have significant trouble keeping track of where the zombies are.  And good lord, they hit 10x faster than I can swing.  By the time I manage to land a couple of blows I've already been hit 10-20 times.  The lack of loot has made stealth game play an impossibility.  I starve to death before I can find enough food and water to sustain me, and if I go faster I come back around to the problem of being a zombie punching bag with no chance of surviving.  I would love to see a more functional melee system before the zeds get buffed again.  

• Like 1

Although Zs are ultra and my ammo is flying away because we are chanceless without guns against them. I don't have to mention that we should hear them coming and they should stumble when they got hit (shot) and not rushing into you like a train. A LITTLE bit slower than a human would be also more what a Z is supposed to be. In movement and in handling. By now they are soundless Jackie Chans.

The zombies/infected (whatever the hell they are) are a bit ridiculous at the moment. But I like the fact that the player has to be more aware of their danger now. I also like the fact that they don't announce the presence with silly raptor roars too. The silent enemy is great. But, there should be footfalls and groaning perhaps when they're not in aggro state.

As far as their difficulty is concerned, I'd go so far as to increase it and have a 50/50 chance of becoming infected from an attack by them.

That would really spice things up.

Obviously, as they are now that would be mad, as they are glitched beyond belief at the moment. But, sometime in the future, I would certainly like to see large hordes introduced and infection % chance from their attacks, making them a serious threat. With that mechanic and the neutralising/elimination of a players ability to race all over the map without a pause for breath, would make entering a town the daunting task it should be.

As far as their difficulty is concerned, I'd go so far as to increase it and have a 50/50 chance of becoming infected from an attack by them.

If it's treatable with meds that are available, maybe infection is a thing. But if it is a death sentence, then what would that do to the balancing? Gameplay concerning zeds would be completely changed, the devs might as well take melee out of the game completely, no one would ever do anything but run away from them as fast as their legs take them. I am against an infection that's a death sentence. Even with a small chance of infection it would be running away and nothing else for me, I guess also for others. Some spices are not for me I guess :)

The zombies/infected (whatever the hell they are) are a bit ridiculous at the moment. But I like the fact that the player has to be more aware of their danger now. I also like the fact that they don't announce the presence with silly raptor roars too. The silent enemy is great. But, there should be footfalls and groaning perhaps when they're not in aggro state.

Obviously, as they are now that would be mad, as they are glitched beyond belief at the moment. But, sometime in the future, I would certainly like to see large hordes introduced and infection % chance from their attacks, making them a serious threat. With that mechanic and the neutralising/elimination of a players ability to race all over the map without a pause for breath, would make entering a town the daunting task it should be.

Yeah i agree basically. Get me right I don't want a PvP-Game with only a little bit nasty Zs. But if the Zs are a real threat I like to have a good working AND balanced system. By now they come through doors, are soundless (system) AND are strong like a tigertrain™ (balance). Everything together is maybe a little bit to hard. Especially when they become more in numbers (what is planed).

Maybe it will be better if the system works as intended and assumed.

NOTE: What i realized yesterday: The Zs are getting tired! After about 1 minute chasing you on high speed they stop and only walk after you. From there it is easier to hit them with the gun. Maybe also with melee. I haven't tried this because of my Jackie Chan experiences with them. After this experience i think i can say: Everything ok with the Zs, only fix the system so you can work with the physics (locking them in, slowing them down with hits, hearing them coming at least with foot steps etc.) and maybe change their fighting abilities from Jackie Chan's to Mr. T's. ;)

Edited by Algano

I agree. :D

Maybe one day we can clean them and make sausages....

Eat a sausage make a sausage is what I always say ;)

I had a pristine sword that I dropped on the floor of the militent and it vanished. Not that it matters much, because the sword is weak (the pen is much stronger ^^). Just thought I'd mention it. 

Edited by S3V3N

So .55, the first 2 to 3 days after reset are glorious, food, soda and gear are everywhere If you know where to look.  You can die with impunity  and gear back up or even better if a few minutes, intentionally agro-ing hordes of zombies to mow down with your mp5 and its seemingly endless supply of 9mm rounds. Then I logged in sunday, no nothing anywhere unless your looking for hats and books. I started starving.  Dropped all my gear when I realized I wasn't gonna last till my crops grew. Respawned and starved to death 3 more times cause theres nothing anywhere.  Managed to corner a sheep and eat it raw, then got smacked once by a zed and bled to death because I couldn't find anything to bandage with. Called it a night.  Logged in on Monday and found an apple orchard. 20 minutes and 8 -10 apples later I wasn't starving(nowhere near energized) and went on my way. Lucked out and found a herd of cows. Thankfully two didn't run even when I hit them in the head 6 times with an ice axe so I could skin them. Ate the steaks raw and didn't get sick. That lasted me to get back to where I originally died.  My garden plot was gone, they don't persist past server restarts, all my gear had despawned except for my backpack and my loaded mosin, so containers and weapons are as persistant as the devs say. Finally managed to make it back to my camp, tent still there with all my stuff inside. Planted some seeds so I could log off healthy, gonna try my luck again after Wednesday reset.

Synopsis:

-Loot economy seems to work for the first few days, I was finding new loot in places id been and looted previously going to and from my camp.  By sunday there was nothing anywhere except books, hats, and wool coats, they were everywhere and seemed to have replaced everything, only useful stuff I found was in extremely out-of-the-way places that probably nobody had been since they first sold the game on steam.

-Infected seem to have grown razor sharp claws, they ruin your clothing and make you bleed with just a few smacks. And how the hell does a human, infected or not, destroy a ballistic helmet with their bare hands? They are designed to protect you from a bullet, no matter how retard strong a human being is if they start punching one they will just turn their hands into broken bones and mush. Also they are back-stabbers extraordinaire.  If you sprint they stay right on your heels until they run out of gas and fall behind, and if you stand and fight, when they don't glitch out and swing while facing away but still hitting you they circle around faster than you can move to hit you in the back. If forced to melee make sure you hit the head, using an axe, hoe, or hunting knife will drop them in one hit to the dome.  I found the hunting knife the best choice, followed by the hoe then the axe, all due to how you swing it.

- Press Vests! Press Vests everywhere!

- Outhouses seem to be the best spot for loot, it likes to pile up inside so you have to pick up or move whats on top to see whats underneath. Other than weapons, anything can be anywhere, so look everywhere EXCEPT where you used to look, all the buildings that used to be guaranteed to have loot are empty, and the ones you used to pass by have all the goodies

- Heli crashes don't seem to respawn loot and only seem to spawn at reset, so if you don't get to one in the first day or two your pretty much out of luck, but they make decent landmarks for travelling cross-country

-VS3's are in abundance, and seem to like to spawn close to eachother. If you crash one or run out of fuel, remember where you left it, on restart it will be fixed and full. Also, they are great for clearing infected out of towns. If you drive one into the center of town, they will all run up and climb in the back(even if it doesn't have seats in the back). You can get out and they will pretty much ignore you unless you shoot a gun. Towards the end of the week they can be hard to find, since people have stashed them in camps or crashed them god knows where.

-Sickness, not a big deal, drink what you want and eat all the raw meat you can, charcoal tabs and antibiotics seem to be everywhere. The healthier you are the more resistant you are to getting sick, so eat your vitamins, which is about the only thing I find more  of than press vests.

-Matches, sewing kits and leather sewing kits are back in, ive found a few, still haven't found a pot or pan to cook with, or a gas canister, plenty of stoves though

Edited by SyKotic

For anyone interested, I found a cooking pot in an outhouse a few moments ago. I only posted this because some are asking if anyone has seen them since the new build. I have aslo seen several of the blue gas canisters around the map. I havent attempted to use either of these items, just saw them as I was exploring.

Im in dire need of 45 ammo, if someone knows of a reliable spawn point on the east side of the map I would greatly appreciate it.

If it's treatable with meds that are available, maybe infection is a thing. But if it is a death sentence, then what would that do to the balancing? Gameplay concerning zeds would be completely changed, the devs might as well take melee out of the game completely, no one would ever do anything but run away from them as fast as their legs take them. I am against an infection that's a death sentence. Even with a small chance of infection it would be running away and nothing else for me, I guess also for others. Some spices are not for me I guess :)

Well, right now tackling the dead with anything but a shooter is a death sentence for many, especially when there are two or more. I avoid it completely.

Of course an infection should be treatable, as it is now. One of my toons got infected once and I had to run around trying to get cured. But, it was tense. I didn't die, but it was close.

Well I've played Dayz for the 1st time in months and i really don't get the complaints about everything being too difficult in this patch.  Infected are too hard, loot it too rare, get hungry & thirsty too fast etc etc etc.. 

Its made the game more difficult which has made it a load better.  I've had a blast.  Not starved, not been killed by infected, found tons of loot inland.  

Couldn't find a gun...been snaring rabbits, made a bow, got a hatched, pick-axe, meat clever, box of matches, 3 canteens & a cooking pot... I can survive forever in the wilderness if I want.  

Glorious patch.  Love where the game is going.

• Like 4

I usually don't hop through servers, but in this condition I do. Just need to find a deer stand or a toiler in the middle of nowhere, where people don't go too often (North is the best choice). Jump through 5-10 servers and you will get ammo, food, drinks, clothes.

But generally I like the 0,55. Can get a lot of military loot in random places.

Dislike that I can't find any other players to shoot at. Everyone is probably making camps deep in the woods or dying from starvation near the coast.

Is the improvised bow broken in this patch?... I couldn't draw the arrow back..

Yeah, it doesn't work right now. Also, don't try fishing, all it gives you is guts. 

The sad thing about this release was that exactly those tools and mechanics are broken that would make a situation of sparcity endurable. I'm gonna serverjump now, only to find a cooking pot and some gas containers. I don't like serverjumping, especially with persistence on, I like to loot every corner of my map and server to know exactly what the loot situation is there. 

• Like 1

Well, right now tackling the dead with anything but a shooter is a death sentence for many, especially when there are two or more. I avoid it completely.

Of course an infection should be treatable, as it is now. One of my toons got infected once and I had to run around trying to get cured. But, it was tense. I didn't die, but it was close.

Ok, was just not sure about the word infection ... could be an infected wound that you get with a certain percentage when getting a bleeding hit or could be you turning into an infected (zed) yourself ... don't like the later :)

Concerning infection treatment, what about boiling out willow bark (do we have willows ingame?) to get ASS (Aspirin)? Ok, it's not antibiotics, but still...I like crafting stuff like that.