boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Mines are spawning again too, I have found exactly one, but they should be rare as hell anyway.  Bear traps are all over the place. 

Leather repair kits work on tents again.  For some reason and this might be a bug, repair kits for weapons, leather and cloth repair items up to pristine now.  All my tents are pristine now (salvaged two from before the wipe and found another after the wipe)..

Tried a stone on a badly damaged hatchet, that only repaired to damaged as usual.

• Like 1

Leather repair kits work on tents again.

Civilian tents specifically? That is odd. Just last week (on 0.55) I was only able to use duct tape on civilian tents, which obviously has a very minimal effect. Seems strange that such a thing would change in functionality without a client update  :|

Edited by Tatanko

Civilian tents specifically? That is odd. Just last week (on 0.55) I was only able to use duct tape on civilian tents, which obviously has a very minimal effect. Seems strange that such a thing would change in functionality without a client update  :|

Now that you mention it can't say for sure about civ tents, yet, but for sure on the mil tent, both civ tents I had were pristine anyway (on another server I have one set up that is damaged but I am a long ass way from it atm).  Mil tent was damaged when I picked it up and used a leather kit on it.  Brought it up to pristine

Edited by Barnabus

I don't care much for the current look of night time in DayZ and I have high hopes for DX12's contributions to improving this.

That being said, I can play fairly comfortably in night servers for a few days before I get "bored" with gray scale, especially if it's been awhile.

A notion shared by many (most?) DayZ and ArmA players.

While I agree that, with current HDR implementation (Low is unfortunately the maximum right now, Very Low is unplayable), it can look washed-out, it's an okay approximation of the Purkinje effect of scotopic vision, as rod cells cannot convey color and are most sensitive to cyan wavelengths, unlike the cone cells. If you've ever been in a rural area with no artificial illumination and starlight as the only light source, you know what I mean. Moonlight makes it slightly better, depending on the phase (which DayZ models too right now). Make sure you're playing in a pitch-black room, on an instrumentally calibrated monitor and don't crank Gamma too high in hopes to see more.

But yes, I too hope the new renderer will make it 'better', but I also hope it won't sacrifice authenticity for beauty.  :(

• Like 4

Dear Devs,

Although you might not read this I wanted to thank you, thank you for staying true to the core concept of this game, thank you for all your hard work, and thank you putting up with the negative criticism but listening to those that are constructive. I've played this game since V0.28 back when those who played this way before me didn't gun you down with all their collected ammo but instead help you up for the rare can opener you found 5 minutes into playing the game and they haven't found in months. My point is there are a large number of us that appreciate the direction the game is going and aren't as impatient as some younger DayZ players, and I hope everyone is as thankful as I am.

What brought this on? (Warning: long story feel free to skip) Well, although I've been around since 0.28 there was a time where I stopped playing for a couple updates because I felt it was no longer about survival but getting a leg up on the trigger happy players. That was until the recent 0.52 update, that I heard the zombies and loot economy had a major adjustment, so I strapped on, logged on, choose a 1PP server, and gave it a run.

I start in Cherno on a cold breezy night, a lot of door closed with hopefully loot inside. 1, 2, 3, 4 houses later I've found a can of soda, bullets, and a bandana, it'll have to do. I keep searching building but stop dead in my tracks and hit the deck as I find a zombie across the hallway (didn't know they could wander indors. Scared the crap out of me). It knows I'm near but after a few moments wanders off back through the open door it came from. Through out the town I'm slowly creeping past zombies, I do this until I find enough food just to get me energized, that is until I find a room brief case, a icepick and a pair of Rocket Aviators that things are going good. I make my way to the next room and find a bear trap, but not having enough room I happily carry it in my hand, but my heart plumets as I turn a corner as I find my self face to face with the undead and only a bear trap in my hand. I think quickly and crouch, at this point the zombies head is twitching with rage, I slowly back to steps and set the bear trap at the door way. I back up up quickly pull out my icepick and get ready, unfortunately the trap isn't set off so I'm forced to battle it out, I strike once and thanks to the new zombie hit response animiation I can hit it another 2 times before I get hit. Fighting as hard as I can the zombie still draws blood, I b line it to the next room, close the door, and bandage myself to get ready for round 2, I open the door and give it my best shot, both of us land hits but I come out victorious. Using my rag as a bandage to stop the bleeding again I think about how I need an axe and I should head over to firestation, then I think about the ammo I have hoping I find a gun, and how I haven't even begun looting Cherno but it comes with the risk of my own life. I think about how I'm going to manage my material, gather more food, and if I did find a gun will I have the right ammo?, I think about all this and more and how it's up to me from the second I spawned how I'm going to survive.

This game is without a doubt going in the right direction, and all it takes is for us to be patient. I can not tell you enough how much joy this game has brought me, weather with friends, strangers, or survivng on my own, and it is really coming together. I can't say it enough, thank you for the hard work and determination.

Awesome update, Great work.

Edited by ItsOnlyPain
  • Like 3

Dear Devs,

yes, they are very dear.

EDIT: well, the quote was all there was so ... :)

Edited by bautschi

I have no problem finding canned food. Its quite common and every old food house so far had it. some of it is invisible/sunk into the floor so use the vicinity thingy.

Performance wise i had to lower my settings to normal and the fps would still sometimes hit the unplayable low digits, which is weird since i just reinstalled my OS /w all the latest drivers edited the cfg and used all the parameters that help when it comes to performance.

My fps nemesis, Svetlojarsk just makes me connect to another private server, which is sad since i really like the town.

And my weaker laptop said farewell to dayz altogether since even playing with draw distance down to 400m just makes it throw out pictures.

I was thinking a bit(not a good sign inko), could it be the new interface? What would happen if i set the gui from 1 to =0 in .cfgs ? will that remove the new crossair?

I really wanna play around it, editing mydocuments .cfg cant get me banned, right? right????

I also experienced some serious abnormal rubberbanding right after logging into a server. Saw a fully geared moonwalking guy and stalked him for a while. He was desyncing so badly i didnt want to face him. After a while as he was showing me his back i tried to make a communication so I approached him from behind just so he rubber banded so far I completely lost a track of him.

Whats the ETA for painkillers to kick in? I swallowed like a whole box after a zombie hit and the shaking still wont go away(id say its been about 2 hrs since i got hit). I used two splints aswell.

can you fix sharpen a sword? A: nope, rock wont allow you to fix it like other blades. But can we, please. Do you know how hard is to find this preciousss :(

I also noticed you cant cut bushes with it anymore (i think we were able to in one of the previous patches, no ?)

What do you think, how long does it take to create all those missions GTA has?

You didnt play GTA in the first week of release some two years ago on ps3 else you wouldnt be talking this nonsense. 

Why is it always the people who have no idea, even worse; who never played the game, (in this case gtaV) that are so clever?

Missions were so uterly bugged and easy to glitch/bug/grief it's not even funny. First of all most of the players lost their accounts because their rockstar profile thingy completely bugged out and stopped tracking progress, thus offering everyone to make a "temporary" character which basicly deleted your old one.

Half of the missions ended up with two kids freeroaming and one guy trying to finnish it off.

Or a guy carrying entire mission so a random kid crashed the getaway plane and fails it all for the 6 people.

Or that awesome bug that made me a multi billionare with every item ingame in a matter of minutes (cant really complain there....)

oh and fyi, when you join a MP mission in GTA you all get transfered in another instance. You dont get the "APB:Reloaded" style missions where there is 80+ players in town at all times playing their own missions. And when you finnish the mission, the person who played with you can simply join your instance and shoot you in the head from behind before you can even bank your money. I could go on and on.

I dont know what you're waiting for, cash out, go play GTA.

Edited by halp

i'm finding zucchini's and oranges again. They show up blank on your inventory screen and not at all if in 1pp/3pp. You can hover your mouse over the blank item to see exactly what it is and of course pick it up. Once inside your inventory, it shows up. 

Edited by The Riddler

I've noticed the small brown/yellow houses no longer spawn guns.

What do you think, how long does it take to create all those missions GTA has?

GTA development took something about four years. The Rockstar swarm of developers needed FOUR YEARS to create this game. DayzSA is in development for 1 1/2 years right now and the team is much smaller I think so what... and don't talk about the budget. 

Sadly non-official but public hive servers are still able to reset your character. :(

Does anyone got killed by invisible zombies? I got killed twice. That fu***** me up, and i stopped playing. Fix this please.

• Like 1

Does anyone got killed by invisible zombies? I got killed twice. That fu***** me up, and i stopped playing. Fix this please.

Invisible zeds have been a problem long before this patch. If it happens, you can outrun them. Just don't stop. If you are on a private shard with more than one server or on public, you can alternativelly go into a house, lock yourself in and log over to another server.

While annoying, it has not happened to me very often, not in this patch. Of all problems we have this is certainly not the one that would me get to stop playing :)

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud here, having seen this sentiment too many times in this forum...

With "early release" being the vogue thing in game development now I bet it would be a valuable resource for the industry to do a (sociological?) study on what are the factors that cause players to get "testing fatigue" and effectively rage-quit the testing process.  I use the term "testing" loosely here because, let's be honest, the vast majority of us see ourselves more as players than in a testing role.  I wonder if there is a more effective model for incentivising early adopters to stick with the process than just "you get to play it early on" and a slightly lower price - an incentive that has us stick with the process?

I think if we were brought closer to the actual development cycle (not sure how, maybe just being more informed like insiders?) "testers" would feel more committed to playing the role of assisting the project rather than just playing.  That said, I do feel as though the devs make an effort to keep us informed through multiple outlets (some here say not enough), but perhaps there is a more effective way that targets getting us to want to be part of a collective team that is goals-oriented.

Edited by OrganGrinder
  • Like 1

Just thinking out loud here, having seen this sentiment too many times in this forum...

With "early release" being the vogue thing in game development now I bet it would be a valuable resource for the industry to do a (sociological?) study on what are the factors that cause players to get "testing fatigue" and effectively rage-quit the testing process.  I use the term "testing" loosely here because, let's be honest, the vast majority of us see ourselves more as players than in a testing role.  I wonder if there is a more effective model for incentivising early adopters to stick with the process than just "you get to play it early on" and a slightly lower price - an incentive that has us stick with the process?

I think if we were brought closer to the actual development cycle (not sure how, maybe just being more informed like insiders?) "testers" would feel more committed to playing the role of assisting the project rather than just playing.  That said, I do feel as though the devs make an effort to keep us informed through multiple outlets (some here say not enough), but perhaps there is a more effective way that targets getting us to want to be part of a collective team that is goals-oriented.

So... to what end? I don't think there's any reason the devs should want the same people playing the game at each step along the development process. What's important is that they act as initial investors. I think it's good for people to take breaks from the game during periods and then come back to it after things have changed. Some people might not come back at all, and that's fine, this isn't a subscription model game so very little is lost.

So... to what end? I don't think there's any reason the devs should want the same people playing the game at each step along the development process. What's important is that they act as initial investors. I think it's good for people to take breaks from the game during periods and then come back to it after things have changed. Some people might not come back at all, and that's fine, this isn't a subscription model game so very little is lost.

I think you're underselling the value of early adopters if you see us as only "investors"...  and that may be how most of the games doing this type of thing are thinking as well, which is why I made my point.  I'm pointing to an untapped potential that could be solved with a little shift in attitude and marketing.  If we are going to be "let in" on the game's development why not encourage more of a sense of ownership in the process.  We may actually try harder to find and, importantly, report bugs.  We may do more to spread word of mouth or produce user content ( I know - DayZ has enough players, but I'm talking scope beyond DayZ).

One of the most important things to achieve in selling a product is to have the consumer feel a connection to the product and identity with the brand.  It may help make the difference between make or break for some other game in the future without the initial momentum and presence that DayZ had.

Really though, why would you not want the same people playing the game at each step in the process?!?  Those are your ambassadors and potentially your greatest assets for feedback.

• Like 1

Whats the ETA for painkillers to kick in? I swallowed like a whole box after a zombie hit and the shaking still wont go away(id say its been about 2 hrs since i got hit). I used two splints aswell.

Are you sure it's pain-related shaking, not temperature-related shivering?

Sometimes there's a well-known bug that causes you to get stuck at 35°C body temp without the Cold status or any messages, especially if you've been Soaked & Cold for a while before. Check your temperature if you have a thermometer — if it is indeed 35°C, make sure you're dry, do some tribal dancing around a campfire or use a heat pack.

EDIT: Can't wait 'til they put that Bardak Vodka in the game (after all, there is a factory), it really does help survive those cold harsh winters in the absence of heat, at least in my RL experience.  :blush:

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 4

Are you sure it's pain-related shaking, not temperature-related shivering?

Sometimes there's a well-known bug that causes you to get stuck at 35°C body temp without the Cold status or any messages, especially if you've been Soaked & Cold for a while before. Check your temperature if you have a thermometer — if it is indeed 35°C, make sure you're dry, do some tribal dancing around a campfire or use a heat pack.

EDIT: Can't wait 'til they put that Bardak Vodka in the game (after all, there is a factory), it really does help survive those cold harsh winters in the absence of heat, at least in my RL experience.  :blush:

I tend to use a mosin a lot so I find myself sometimes with these shakes. I have not tried this in .55 but in .54 I would build 3 fires in a triangle and stand in the middle of all 3 fires. It would cure me of the shakes within just a few moments as well as dry my clothes entirely. Sounds silly, but I was never able to rid myself of these shakes without having at least 3 fires going. 

Never actually checked my temperature but the warmth of the fires certainly helped :) 

Sounds silly, but I was never able to rid myself of these shakes without having at least 3 fires going. 

I've experimented with it a bit the last time I caught this bug and three weren't necessary — one was good enough if I kept adding logs to keep it going for 15-20 minutes (4 or 5 logs total, as far as I remember).

EDIT: ..but it's worth to mention my Heat Comfort was rather high at the time: Quilted Jacket, Gorka pants, Combat Boots, Working Gloves and a Ushanka — all pristine and dry.

Edited by Veyda

i wonder when they will fix the choppers  :/ .... ?

after my 2nd death from starvation  and 3rd hour of playing last night I was in cherno and thought "hell I will just check the office building for food cause well.. you never know, why not".. and there it was.. 2 glorious cans sitting together on the bottom level room on the shelves.. I couldnt beleive and it felt amazing.. not one can yes 2 ! 

than I found 2 fucking more in the SUPERMARKET ... Love the direction the game is going atm.. bringing those true survivor feels and the ecstacey you feel actually finding tin food is amazing... I always grew a heap of plants and came back in they were all grown spoiled and dead in 30 min   :(

BUT GG'S NONE THE LESSS !

Having trouble finding 9mm ammo, gone through 120 rounds on Zeds, still have plenty of Mosin but got the shakes, man I need some 9mm I've been alive since day of patch (3rd life) please loot gods be good!..

I found a particularly relevant loot spawn this evening  :lol:

XAapHFX.jpg

• Like 7

Man, most people in this game suck. Actually, people are pretty awful in general. People use to communicate and be friendly all of time back in the old Xbox 360 days. The world is crap now and all people can do is bury themselves in their phones. I have been killed twice in the last 15 minutes. The first time was from a distance... I didn't even see the person. The second time was by a couple of guys. I saw the first one and my mic isn't working so I said, "Hey! My mic isn't working..." I put my hands up and then his buddy shoots me. What the heck? They didn't even respond to me. They need to make more of an incentive to NOT kill other players. This is so retarded. I should just go play Battlefield and wait for Survive the Nights to release...