SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

lol.some think they know everything

sorry but never been on sniper hill,I hate Electro and spend mytime up North

I do actually play the game,and play it the way it was meant to be played

The LRS for me was more for looking than shooting and now the game has binoculars I no longer use the LRS ;)

You should know the saying.... if you do not have anything good to say then don't say anything at all

Your post was useless and a waist of time let alone showing how arogant you are!

and I'm not your Son,or even close in age to be called someones Son

another statement showing how arogant you are trying to convay how much older,wiser and mature you are than others...

unbelievable someof the garbage I read on this forum,it was awhile ago you posted...but then I have not been around for six months or more....

You lost me at the LRS.

You are doing it wrong son.

Get off your ass on sniper hill in Electro and actually play the game.

I've dead on nailed zombies directly with melee weapons and 70% of the time it misses even though the thing is standing directly in front of me. Maybe it has something to do with how bad the straffing is. 

Zombies in general absolutely act goofy as hell and I can't take them seriously at all if you want my honest opinion on the current zombies. They don't seem intent on eating you or killing you, they just seem like completely retarded a.i that wants to slap you. Meh.

Edited by Shelledfade

I have had the same struggles with weapons not hitting there targets for a while now. Mostly the crowbar baseball bat pitchfork and a couple more. If you try the .50 exp update youll we some differences. Crowbars can hit zombies as well as other nonzombie hittable weapons. The ping of a server sometimes affects it but not much. Just hope they will fix this one day

I have really enjoyed my time in DayZ so far, with the exception of one thing...

Zombies that can walk through walls and doors and hit me through walls and doors........what is this I don't even....

I even got hit once in one of those open air warehouses while on the catwalk... the zombie was up with me but then fell down, survived the drop, and then was able to hit me as I walked two stories above it..  

-what the heck now?

-How was this not the first thing fixed?  

I saw this same topic listed in a post from 2013 about "things people want fixed the most"..  

-Is this going to be something that will eventually be corrected?  

-What's the buzz?  

I looked at some of the developer updates but didn't see anything about it.

Sorry if this is an enormous retread of a topic but I haven't seen anything recently on it... and it's my first post so don't get your TTsKO Pants in a twist.

-btw.  does anyone have a decent microphone that's between 50-100 bucks that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your wide range of responses.

PS.  I want to be able to lure and trap zombies inside of buildings because that's what I'd probably do if I was in a real zombie apocalypse.  Get enough of them in there and start a lil fire.

-Ermagerd DayZ sucks-

:facepalm:

Edited by Bakermensch
  • Like 1

It was a problem in the mod, and i fully expected it to be a problem in the standalone as i got so used to it.

It will, however, get fixed eventually alongside everything else

• Like 1

What else would you expect from a Early Access ALPHA Game, Also if you can not find what you want in the Search Function try GOOGLE (It knows ALL)

• Like 1

There are several threads about killing zombies around at the moment

I think you have life too easy - you have the habit of pointing a gun an pulling the trigger and, bang, the target drops dead

BUT killing zombies with a melee weapon takes practice. yes folks what you need is TRAINING and SKILL .. that's what makes the game FUN...

and after only a few days you can hear that groan coming up behind you and take out your axe without even slowing down, turn around (in a running circle, of course dont STOP for J's sake!) and whack those one or two zombies DEAD without being scratched, and go on your way (4 to 8 seconds, 2 dead, you not dead).. it's EASY.. BUT you got to LEARN how to do it.. that takes a FEW tries and a FEW trips back from the beach.. THEN you have no problems

This is what zombies are in the game for, right? to make you think, to make you learn, to make you find out what works and what does not, to know when there is trouble and how to avoid it..to know what's easy... call it ZOMBIE SURVIVAL

Or do you want them to fall over dead when they see you ? That would be EASIER but maybe LESS FUN

.. check out the forums.. You people, it's like you throw a knife at a tree 100 feet away and when it doesn't stick dead in the target the first time, you close the game and come here to complain. There are things in life that take a little bit of TRAINING.. and I SWEAR, dude, zombies are NOT difficult..

Herer's one example among MANY

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211915-zombies-and-rarity-of-guns/#entry2123468

xx pilgrim

How fucking delusional are you?

Zombies are twitchy as fuck and a major annoyance. It is not that they are supposed to be that way, they are just broken. Go ahead an keep calling yourself a zombie fighting god though, as the people who find instant ruined gear bullshit will keep critiquing the game. B)

Yeah, apparently you're doing something wrong, because hitting a zombie in the head with fists even in the current experimental build is still relatively easy.

..//..

If you're playing in 3d Person, aim about 6-12 inches above the zombies head (white dot aiming), to actually hit the dude in the face. if you aim directly at the head (white dot) you only give body blows and zombs don't care a lot. When you knock a zombie down with a head hit, stand over him and punch him in the head until you're sure he's not going to get up again. Otherwise he'll just stand up again when he feels good and ready.

The problem about fistfighting zombies, if there are 2 or 3 of them, you can keep knocking them down but you dont have time to finish them off with the other two on your back, so you knock another down and the first one stands up gain. You can do this for a LONG time..  good training, but difficult to win...  probably either run around to split them up enpough to deal with 1 at a time (already suggested) or fight them in first person to see where you're hitting them (already suggested). BUT I find fighting zombs in 1st P is too stress when there are 2 or 3 of them, because you never know where the other one is, or if another just turned up behind ya..

For beginners, the Axe (either axe) the Hoe or the Pickaxe are the BEST easiest weapons to kill zombs, ( other weapons are crap) - just keep moving aside when they get ready to hit you and keep coming back on top of them to hit back. don't let up.

Other weapons are pretty crap, if you have to fight - IMO throw any other weapon away out of your hands and use your fists... BUT I've killed zombies with a screwdriver - it gives a straight jab to the head, works pretty OK .. it's a deeply underestimated weapon I think. remember your Special Services training! ( ... but I never tried with a pen.. )

Another good technique, is put your ACTION key on the Mouse Wheel PRESS ... then you can open and shut doors real quick WHILE you are moving and turning, gives you the best chance to run through houses and trap zombies, leave them behind. And .. ya know .. if you go in a house, make sure the back door's shut before you start looting ???? - yes?

Edited by pilgrim

How fucking delusional are you?

Zombies are twitchy as fuck and a major annoyance. It is not that they are supposed to be that way, they are just broken. Go ahead an keep calling yourself a zombie fighting god though, as the people who find instant ruined gear bullshit will keep critiquing the game. B)

Hi Sleeves - how did you know I call myself Zombie-Fighting God (I put in the hyphen in the name so people don't think I'm a Zombie trying to fight God.. ya know.. that would be soooo like the original Mary Shelly Frankenstein, wouldn't it? .. too existential for me, really)

I wasn't speaking of instant ruined gear just now- but about how to fight zombies without getting ripped to shreds or eaten -  but if you READ the USEFUL easy to click-on LINK I gave. You'd find plenty of ruined gear stories. A one-hit zombie RUINED my ROCK once.. how about that!. True. Check out all the zombie ADVICE and THOUGHTS and COMMENTS already on the forum (and there are MORE links on that forum I linked you to, to even more Zombie stuff and complaints already, so you can read all up about it)  - then go play.

I think there is also a thread where you can shout about everything that is 'broken' in the game...  like - ya know -  getting lost, and not being able to find your way around without a compass, and other players being bad,  and crap like that.. and dying when you get shot.. AND the nasty Zombies, the hackers, the lack of loot.. ya know... take the time to check out what people are saying.. and this game changes, have you noticed ?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-do-zombies-dream-of-a-good-nights-sleep-zombie-feedback/#entry1871615

Life on the coast is TOUGH that's for sure..

I just finished the post above when I read yours (you write fast! or you had less to say)... but check the links anyway.. put "broken" in the search bar. There are instructions on how to use the search, or just ask someone on the forum. Maybe if you ASK .. someone can arrange to meet you in-game and give you an AK and 1000 rounds, instead of you having to go search for one. Because wherever there are AKs there are Zombies AND bad mean players !

Enjoy

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I DISAGREE and will CAPITALIZE random words to put emphasis ON them.

Artificial difficulty does not make a game good. Zombies who glitch around and such is a bad mechanic and it baffles me that you tell people to adapt, rather than fixing the obviously broken AI.

Gloat all you want about your skills, but the shit needs fixing when the time comes.

• Like 1

I DISAGREE and will CAPITALIZE random words to put emphasis ON them.

Artificial difficulty does not make a game good. Zombies who glitch around and such is a bad mechanic and it baffles me that you tell people to adapt, rather than fixing the obviously broken AI.

Gloat all you want about your skills, but the shit needs fixing when the time comes.

hi again Sleeves - where did I use the word  "adapt" ? ... or perhaps you are talking to someone else, about some other post... ?  I'm not very good at killing zombies, And I'm really not the person to discuss AI with, as I've been involved in it since (probably) before you were born .. ( were you around pre-ARPANET? ) and you might find the discussion difficult to follow.

So, be nice, LET'S hear YOUR advice to the beginners about how to deal with what is in the game at the moment.

The words I capitalize in my posts are not "random".  If you check up on it (I'll find you a wikipedia link on the subject) - you'll understand that "random" is a difficult thing to do when you are typing on a keyboard. And by "difficult"  I mean .. hehe .. it's not possible. I was just being polite and inexact using the word "difficult" so you wouldn't overheat.  Communication_theory  Randomness

DO PLEASE check some of the ZOMBIE links in the posts above above, make a useful contribution, or explain to the OP your own idea of the best way to deal with zombies in the game as it is at the moment.

p.s. What kind of "difficulty" is there in a game apart from "artificial" difficulty .. is there some other kind ?

Thanx. Continue to have a nice day.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-do-zombies-dream-of-a-good-nights-sleep-zombie-feedback/#entry1871615

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213577-are-the-zombies-usain-bolt-based/#entry2143371

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213283-zombie-speed/#entry2140892

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213370-are-we-going-to-get-dismembermentgore/page-2#entry2142067

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213245-can-we-stop-this-instant-ruined-everything-stuff/page-3#entry2141350

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212260-make-more-zombies-but-remove-their-ability-to-run/#entry2127836

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213098-zombie-play/#entry2138501

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212912-those-dumb-zombies/#entry2136334

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211915-zombies-and-rarity-of-guns/#entry2123361

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-zombie-feedback/#entry1871615

... among others

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Aim for the head, no one holds your hand in dayz, if you can't reliably kill zombies without getting hurt, you pay the penalty until you can.

All they need to do I think is add in a stealth kill function.

Because let's face it it's pretty shit how you have to slash them with tools you could obviously just stab them in the head with, a sickle for instance. They obviously couldn't make the game have such complex controls that you could stab them like characters in The Walking Dead do and that would be too easy but stealth kills should be a thing.

Of course it can be hard to sneak up on zombies but if you get behind them, least in my experience they don't notice you. It's still not going to be easy to not fuck up the situation but it makes zombies a lot more realistically kill-able without making it too easy.

I noticed in recent dev blogs quite a bit references to new zombies types and zombie attacks, but very little on what that actually entails.

Does anyone encountered any additional information? For example if the plans to add more zombie types, means more zombie type (i.e. walkers, crawlers ...), that behave\attack differently; or will those be just a matter of visual verity i.e. the hermit\farmer will be a civilian male in rural areas and the attacks are for everyone to make melee combat more engaging.

There are several threads about killing zombies around at the moment

I think you have life too easy - you have the habit of pointing a gun an pulling the trigger and, bang, the target drops dead

BUT killing zombies with a melee weapon takes practice. yes folks what you need is TRAINING and SKILL .. that's what makes the game FUN...

[...]

Most AAA FPS games don't require a steep learning curve to start playing, but like most other games, you gonna need a hell of alot patience, TRAINING and SKILL, situational awareness etc to become real good and play with players on the same level. (not just common "KOS bandits").

I am bringing this up, because I have this gut feeling that you count among those who love to hate "twitch shooter", and would be outraged by my statement that they require TRAINING and SKILL. On that note, while DayZ melee system, requires a lot of training, to me it is nothing but artificially difficulty, mindless, twitch mechanic, that doesn't hold a candle to even most "arcadish" of games I have played.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

Crowbars aren't the best, but they work. But there's plenty of other melee weapons that are plentiful and better suited.

If you hit the head, crowbars are pretty much as good as a Fireaxe .. otherwise it will take 5 times as many hits. I am not sure how it took the OP 35-40 though, probably lag or really bad aiming.

Most AAA FPS games don't require a steep learning curve to start playing, but like most other games, you gonna need a hell of alot patience, TRAINING and SKILL, situational awareness etc to become real good and play with players on the same level. (not just common "KOS bandits").

I am bringing this up, because I have this gut feeling that you count among those who love to hate "twitch shooter", and would be outraged by my statement that they require TRAINING and SKILL. On that note, while DayZ melee system, requires a lot of training, to me it is nothing but artificially difficulty, mindless, twitch mechanic, that doesn't hold a candle to even most "arcadish" of games I have played.

I'm a great fan of Lara Croft too. And I liked Crisis II a LOT, played scenes over and over.  And I once BUILT a new computer just to play DOOM 3. .. This is true.

About DayZ:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211915-zombies-and-rarity-of-guns/#entry2123468

In passing, I asked this same question a very little while ago ..

HOW can difficulty in a programmed computer game be anything other than "artificial" ? It's software, dude. Can it be 'natural'  like the birds singing in the trees ?

Or do you mean some games are more difficult than others ? - I agree.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I'm a great fan of Lara Croft too. And I liked Crisis II a LOT, played scenes ove and ove.  And I once BUILT a new computer just to play DOOM 2. .. This is true.

About DayZ:

In passing, I asked this same question a very little while ago ..

HOW can difficulty in a programmed computer game be anything other than "artificial" ? It's software, dude. Can it be 'natural'  like the birds singing in the trees ?

xx

Artificial difficulty refers to things being harder than they should be.

It's "artificial" in that in real life it'd be easy to kill these zombies with an axe or any stabbing weapon, you could swing an axe and hit them right in the head with no problems or just let them run in to a pointed weapon but in DayZ they make it so you have to pathetically swing weapons from side to side hitting a static target.

On that note, while DayZ melee system, requires a lot of training, to me it is nothing but artificially difficulty, mindless, twitch mechanic, that doesn't hold a candle to even most "arcadish" of games I have played.

Yeah it's just awful.

I downloaded Shadow Warrior yesterday which is a remake of an old action/FPS game similar to doom. It's melee blows DayZ out of the water and it's incredibly arcadey.

I wonder if DayZ could have a melee system where you control what way weapons are swinged? Up down, left right, stab, heck even parry.

That would be great, you could slash someone's leg with an axe or break it with a baseball bat so they can't walk etc.

Not sure how it would work with a mouse though I guess holding the attack button which locks the camera then move the mouse in the desired swing direction.

Really though if that's possible at all they should definitely try it.

Imagine how epic it'd be having fire axe battles with people, being able to deflect their axe instead of you both just strafing and hoping the other guy gets to 0HP faster than you.

Melee in this game needs way more attention guns are alright for now they just need optimized.

• Like 1

Zombies are fine for me, they don't clip through walls much, maybe out of 50 zombies only 1 can actually clip through. I don't have hard time killing zombies with a firefighter axe aswell. Shooting zombies with an AKM usually 1 hit kills them and 2 hit kills on military zombies, but sometimes it takes 3 shots, I don't know why. 

The only thing is I think they spawn more than they used to spawn comparing a week ago.

• Like 1

[...]

The point I was trying to get across is that it takes time to master any game (skill) and any person playing any genre who put the time into that game will usually claim its mechanics its what makes it fun, that they require dedication, training, skill..

So for the purpose of this discussion, lets avoid such claims, and look at the mechanics. What we available at to deal with zombies at this stage is: punch/attack to body/head, with zombies generally having two stances and never ending zombie spawn (unless it has been changed). It doesn't really offer much tactical opportunities, encourage cooperation and or anything beyond playing as axe murder with two basic "twitch" moves.

English is my third language, so you probably right. The way I intended to use it, was to point out that challenge can be added either by developing a complex mechanic (like arma/dayz firearms handling) by improve the AI and what it can do, or you can "artificial" ramping up zombie strength speed. Personally, I prefer the former kind of challenge. Edited by Mor
  • Like 2

I don't honestly know what to tell you, everyone is having different issues and claims about zombies every patch, not everyone can be pleased. I find zombies much easier to fight than before, but as someone above claimed about "Cattle prods being 2 hit kill" I don't quite get, considering it took me about 10, but the farming hoe is one hitting now for me. Bugs are everywhere, just try and try again, find your own personal loophole (I say personal, because, well the game is different for everyone it seems). Good luck and keep warm :)

Crowbars aren't the best, but they work. But there's plenty of other melee weapons that are plentiful and better suited.

Cattle prods will two-shot a zombie every time. You don't even have to aim that well. First hit will knock it out, the second will kill it. I think stun batons work the same, but have shorter range. A farming hoe is also a great substitute for an axe. Pitchforks too.

Also, don't try to engage multiple zombies with a crowbar. I barely even do that with an axe. I run around and isolate the zombies from each other, then take them out one at a time.

What game were you guys playing? It takes a Sh@! load of hits to bring down  zombie with anything that isnt an axe. Then theres those hobbit zombies (the ones that are always hunched over) it's damn near impossible to hit them let alone pull a headshot!

What game were you guys playing? It takes a Sh@! load of hits to bring down  zombie with anything that isnt an axe. Then theres those hobbit zombies (the ones that are always hunched over) it's damn near impossible to hit them let alone pull a headshot!

I'm playing DayZ Standalone, same as you. It just takes practice and patience buddy :) Oh and a sledgehammer would be helpful too ;)

Zombies never give up

Hello, I am a noob to this game.  I have been playing for 20 hours or so.  I mostly use empty servers as I am trying to get the hang of it.  However these damn zombies get me every time.  I have only killed two and that was because I was lucky enough to find an axe.  I have tried hitting them with pitchforks, baseball bats, machette, the slingblade thing, maybe other things nothing kills them.  I have read that is normal for now anyway. 

I have tried running into building and closing all the doors.  However they come in though the wall.(Read that that's a glitch).  I have tried hiding on top of buildings for extended periods of time.  They are always waiting for me.  I have ran away from them inculding running zig zag pattens and trying to hide in a bush or something.  Nothing ever works. 

Besides shooting them or axing them(only found one axe and a few guns but never find ammo for them) what are the best tips for getting them of my butt?  I had nothing to loose eariler and I should face to face with a zom.  Hit him over and over with the pitch fork.  He killed me first.  Seems that they can't be killed.

Any tips on getting away from them would be great.

Thanks

• Like 1