SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Simple thread asking what you think Dayz zombies could use in the way of "fixes".

My main issues with zombies!

1. their hit rate, its insanely too high, as a fresh spawn i almost bleed completely out trying to kill a zombie with any of the melee weapons.

2. their hit points (I.E. Health) with guns its not a problem.. but almost all of the melee weapons (axe excluded) its almost impossible to kill them without losing most of your blood!.

3. following distance.. sometimes i have to completely run out of the city/field im in just to get them to stop chasing me.

feel free to add to the list, im sure i can think of more issues i see but just curious as to what some of you other dayz people see wrong with them

I don't think these are issues at all. The three things you mentioned, should be exactly how it is. In fact I think they are too easy.

My only problem is they are still getting through some doors and walls and sometimes they are completely silent.

I got OHK last week while I was fighting another zombie which was completely silent. If I can't have stealth I don't think Zombies should ll

In my eyes the biggest issue is that they only can use "full body" - animations. But lets see what they squeeze out of that before judging.

If I had a wish list it would be that they would stop glitching, there was more of them, they were much cleverer and you could have a decent melee combat with them.

As the tweet I posted above shows and the roadmap states, it's going to be worked on anyway.

But I thought the "Z" in "DayZ" stood for "Zero"?  :huh:

In all serious we need more zombies.

I'm talkin' by the dozens.

Edited by blunce
  • Like 1

But I thought the "Z" in "DayZ" stood for "Zero"?  :huh:

In all serious we need more zombies.

I'm talkin' by the dozens.

Let us enter a world of pain!

• Like 1

Simple thread asking what you think Dayz zombies could use in the way of "fixes".

They're being revamped. They don't require fixing.

My main issues with zombies!

1. their hit rate, its insanely too high, as a fresh spawn i almost bleed completely out trying to kill a zombie with any of the melee weapons.

Zombies are very predictable and thus very easy to dodge. Even using only fists, zombies don't last more than 20 seconds. Axes, farming hoes, and pickaxes kill them in two hits. How much easier do you want it?

2. their hit points (I.E. Health) with guns its not a problem.. but almost all of the melee weapons (axe excluded) its almost impossible to kill them without losing most of your blood!.

It's definitely not impossible to kill them without losing most of your blood. In fact, they very rarely hit you once you've become competent at dealing with them.

3. following distance.. sometimes i have to completely run out of the city/field im in just to get them to stop chasing me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The "zombies" in DayZ are actually infected people; they have a disease similar to the Rage Virus in 28 Days Later. Once they see you, they'll chase you until they kill you or their bodies fail, unless you somehow manage to give them the slip by running through buildings.

feel free to add to the list, im sure i can think of more issues i see but just curious as to what some of you other dayz people see wrong with them

Zombies are far from fine, however, they're also far from difficult. The revamped zombies are coming. Be patient. ;3

EDIT: teh splelingz

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 5

What Rick said.

Like many things, the zombies can be considered placeholders.

PlaceholderZ

• Like 2

as a fresh spawn i almost bleed completely out trying to kill a zombie with any of the melee weapons.

The problem there is not the zeds.  

I believe it was Aristophanes who once wrote: "Git gud or git ded. lol".

Edited by alphadogmeat
  • Like 2

Yup, zombies as well as nearly everything else is going to get a complete overhaul in the next 2 years.

The sounds we currently hear are mostly from the mod and Arma3.... how much do you think that alone is going to change the experience?

So many people who paid for DayZ have no idea what DayZ is/was/will be. *sigh*

• Like 1

With a sledgehammer or axe I can easily take out up to 8 zombies without getting hit.

Using a shovel I can take down 2-3 without getting hit most of the time, The key with shovel is aiming above where you think it will hit them in head because it drops as you swing.

If I have a crowbar, Screwdriver or some other crap melee I don't even bother killing zombies, I simply lead them around town making sure that I jump fences and zig zag around crap that blocks their vision and ability to run in a straight line, After losing sight of me and not being in my immediate area the zombies deagro and leave me alone.

I think you just need to play a bit more and get used to how to control zombies because they are way too easy when you do.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

You are merged...

The problem there is not the zeds.  

I believe it was Aristophanes who once wrote: "Git gud or git ded. lol".

As a Greek i confirm this! :P

With splitting axes quite easy to find (just look for the one specific shed), I just run away from zombies til I get an axe, then I turn around and kill them.

With splitting axes quite easy to find (just look for the one specific shed), I just run away from zombies til I get an axe, then I turn around and kill them.

Ahh, the olde strafe-hit two step dance.

Ahh, the olde strafe-hit two step dance.

These days I prefer the head-on head-splitting dance. Much more satisfying!

When the game finally reaches the point where zombies are complete and numerous what kind of performance hit will that cause? I'm assuming that will mostly cause an increase in RAM requirements for the game along with all the other items/things that are planned and whatnot.

Edited by Chzy

Hi all.

I've been playing a bunch recently, and I made some observations about the zeds.

Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't have...?

1. Telescopic vision.

2. Psychic ability to see where you ran after leaving their field of vision.

Some suggestions could be, and I apologize if this is already on the way...

1. They track the direction (or directional pattern) for a reasonable distance that you were last headed when you left their line of sight.

2. Search patterns. They should search around somewhat randomly (turning all directions) in the area they last tracked you to, or the area they heard a noise from (ie - gunshot), etc. 

3. Throwing is still being worked on, especially as far as distance thrown and damage application. Maybe throwing could be used by players holding small items like stones (which should travel further than larger items) to draw zeds closer to the location of another player?

Any thoughts?

Edited by E.J.

Hi all.

I've been playing a bunch recently, and I made some observations about the zeds.

Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't have...?

1. Telescopic vision.

2. Psychic ability to see where you ran after leaving their field of vision.

Some suggestions could be, and I apologize if this is already on the way...

1. They track the direction (or directional pattern) for a reasonable distance that you were last headed when you left their line of sight.

2. Search patterns. They should search around somewhat randomly (turning all directions) in the area they last tracked you to, or the area they heard a noise from (ie - gunshot), etc. 

3. Throwing is still being worked on, especially as far as distance thrown and damage application. Maybe throwing could be used by players holding small items like stones (which should travel further than larger items) to draw zeds closer to the location of another player?

Any thoughts?

I'm sure the devs agree with you on most points. But as with most things its a wip

I think the zombies use a RNG based sight system, meaning the closer you are, the higher chance they "Spot" you and become agro'd every second or so.  This results in weirdness like zombies seeing you a mile away in the dark, etc.

Also, the zombies still phase through walls.

I haven't seen a z phase through a wall in months. I was even able to lock them in buildings on a couple of occasions, which is kinda nice as a new spawn. They sometimes ignkre solid rocks though. I saw one running through a part of the cliff near that large city with the fire station at the NE of the map. I've seen some z's dieing because they ran down a hill to fast. They lost contact to the ground and died due to falling while I was just fine, same thing happened to a deer yesterday.

I'm curious if a stealth gameplay will work properly after the next z ai improvements. Atm I use the fact that nobody seems to pick up the 5.45 ammo, silenced ak rules

Does the East Supproser effect zombies tho?

I dont usually use my AK101 to take down zombies, as i normally use the amphibia or an axe.

But the times i have used my AK101 around zombies, they seem to agro to it just the same :s.

Maybe i was just unlucky.

Edited by nillie

i don`t know, but atleast 5-6 zombieglitches trought closed doors or walls with this new patch. :)

I have not played today's patch, but in my experiences (I have been playing since .51) I only came across one zombie glitching through walls. The only thing they need is a better hit-box (hits me through walls sometimes) and better AI.