SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

What do you mean? Beta comes after Alpha and isn't here yet.

You are correct. It will be taken care of in Beta. Which isn't for another few months.

No. Beta is before Alpha ,Alpha stage is usually what you'd call a fully released game on the ps3 that the devs add to through update

No. Beta is before Alpha ,Alpha stage is usually what you'd call a fully released game on the ps3 that the devs add to through update

Be honest.

Are you trolling, son?

If this is the case I must go and tell everyone, as the entire industry has been doing it wrong for years. I also have to tell the Greeks that their alphabet is wrong and that Beta has to be first letter in the alphabet, before Alpha.

• Like 2

If this is the case I must go and tell everyone, as the entire industry has been doing it wrong for years. I also have to tell the Greeks that their alphabet is wrong and that Beta has to be first letter in the alphabet, before Alpha.

Yeah ok dude, you go do that because it's going to drastically affect my life in some way

and yet zombies can still walk through god damn walls

Really? I have yet to experience this.

Really? I have yet to experience this.

get a few on you run into a building shut the door and wait for it LOL  :lol:

get a few on you run into a building shut the door and wait for it LOL  :lol:

When I first logged into the game I was on the coast of Cherno, within 30 seconds I had 4 zombies on me, I was unarmed. Ran to a house and closed the door. They ran around outside raising hell while I ate some tuna. They didn't join me inside.

I really don't understand why they didn't add the same damage and resulted animations to zombies that they already have implemented for players.

It would make the game much more interesting while we are bored out of our minds with no vehicles or hordes of zombies.

One city with 2 zombies that are either walking or flat on their back  (before they disappear in 10 seconds sucking the immersion out of the game) is just not cutting it.

Now a city with 2 to 4 zombies that we can shoot in the knee cap and make them surprise "ankle biters" while crawling around.........?

Now that's something that can get us through these extremely boring days.

Sorry for the typo in the OP title... "Addred"   what the fuck is that?  LOL

I meant "added"

Edited by danceswithzeds

I completely agree, I'm fairly certain (If I'm recalling this right) that this was in the mod, I don't think it'd be very hard to accomplish, but I could be wrong, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff xD

Yeah, I agree.

I see the point that it's not just a critical development need right because they are working on a shit load of stuff..... but at the same time, it would have been a really cool feature to help make it more fun with so few zombies.

Yesterday I had a glitch in Novo where I was in one of those new warehouse buildings on the second floor with 3 zombs chasing. I waited at the top with the shotgun but instead of running up the stairs they teleported into the walls or went invisible and I took some damage. I had to run back outside for them to reappear to shoot them. I think this is just a glitch with some of the nav mesh of these buildings because inside the city hall they ran up the stairs correctly - however in the bar I had the same thing where they would teleport or go through the walls when running up stairs...

Nav mesh nav mesh nav mesh!

Yeah nav mesh to me made the game more frustrating. Because now we think the zombies will not go through walls so when they still do we are less prepared and it destroys the game immersion even worse than before.

They started nav mesh months ago but I have seen no additional improvement of it. I'm very disappointed in it so far. But hopeful the game will get better before summer. If we see the same problems by summer I think the project will be dead.

I've noticed the zombie clipping issue has gotten a lot better than it used to be. For the most part if I shut a door and there are no other entrances they stay outside. If I stop by an outside wall and they try to attack me they can clip into the room.

Is it me or are the zombies super hard to kill? I cant kill a zombie with anything but a fire axe or a splitting axe with 2 swings. Zombies see me from miles away and chase you for miles! 

• Like 2

Zombies have many issues and each and one of them is or will be worked on. This is no easy task.

The problem is that people don't really understand what it means to have zombies functioning.

So lets split it into parts:

Movement / Pathfinding/ Navigation / Geometry: The Navmesh is working just fine, and is done really well. You can read in detail about that here. The problem that we now face, even though zombies know where they are and what is around them is geometry and full-body animation system. There are still cases where zombies do get through doors/walls because of those two things as well as server performance and desync. Although it does not happen nowhere near as often as it did before. The navmesh also comes at a memory cost so needed optimization of x64 server to provide more memory space.

Animation: The clipping and zombies going through doors after navmesh has been implemented is geometry and animation related. We however have only full-body animation available (thus limiting the amount of animations, and their blending). So the animation system is going away from full body animation and adding synchronized animations, blending etc to be available down the road. That will take a long time, but we will get there at some point.

AI: This is the behavioral mechanics (how, when and why the object reacts to sounds, items, buildings, blocks, people, other zombies, animals, and how this changes based on all the interactions). To have a working AI you need sensors for reasonable input. Zombie not only needs to know his environment. But status of players, noises etc. This again needs to go into hard code and evolve from there.

Sensors: This is the data structure that enables objects to understand the state of world around them (sound,items,players etc.) Every dynamic object in game has to understand its surroundings. To understand what is between him and his target. How to use those objects. If they somehow change his behaviour etc. Currently the sensors are an old module from ARMA where network code was p2p based (as in client to client mostly) and there was no pathfinding to speak of. New Sensors / AI are under development and can be found in the roadmap/devblogs.

Damage / hit detection and hitting long distances: Damage system needs to be changed, but again this needs to go from script to hardcoded and evolve from there. This is no small task. Hitting from long distances is caused by desynchronization. This is part of object interaction and rendering. Which is undergoing huge optimizations. Hit detection works okay, but is plagued by desync and server performance. Melee issues are hitbox related. This again is something that has to be changed a lot more engine side. The melee itself is already rewritten, which is why you are seeing so many issues. But as with everything, bugs will get hunted down. Feature will get to represent what we intended when it was designed.

Performance/Desync/Network code: Most of the issues with performance, amount of players, amount of zombies etc. Have underlying problems with synchronization and scaling (mostly item synchronization). The code has already started to improve. We have amazing people here taking care of exactly that. That directly ties into AI,sensors (core of the AI), interaction etc. Try to imagine that server is playing that zombie character.. So he is affected by server performance, network code etc. We need to change a lot of server performance and merge the sensors in to start raising zombie numbers and make stealth a viable option. Everything will take time. Server performance is mostly affected by inventory performance (item management) and sensors. They scale really horribly and were not prepared for this amount of interactions. This is however being worked on for better part of the year. Its a BIG change and needs time.

You have to understand that this huge block of work and has a timeframe of months. All of the changes have a convergence point down the road. There is a snowball effects to some of it. Zombies aren't broken, they are in development.The issues you`re seeing now all have underlying problems that will be fixed in the future. There is just no ETA on most of the stuff, since it has to go from script to hardcoded events in engine. That goes for AI and all things people keep complaining about. Most of these things are talked about or at least mentioned in the weekly status reports.

Many of these modules are outlines on the roadmap

Zeds aren't that hard to kill with the axes, farming hoe, sledge hammer, stun batons and cattle prods. All the other stuff requires you to get too close for my liking but I am growing quite fond of my brass knuckles. If you are having issues try circle strafing around the zeds. Clockwise or counter clockwise works and just keep hacking away until you get a hit or 2. Also if you encounter 2 or more, as long as you keep moving around them, they will beat on each other and make your job easier and yes their aggro ranges are quite crazy but they should stop if you break LOS, notice I said should and not will stop

Is it me or are the zombies super hard to kill? I cant kill a zombie with anything but a fire axe or a splitting axe with 2 swings. Zombies see me from miles away and chase you for miles! 

Merged

• Like 1

I honestly think that it was the best move DayZ has made so far making the Zombies run so fast in this latest patch (about 3 hours ago released). I'm on stable and I've never had to experience the Zombie Apocalypse as fun as this. Now, you have to actually care about the zombies, they are not just annoying now and the thing keeping you from having fun. They are now things that you have to worry about, and scare you. Me and my friend just ran through Elektro and almost died ~8 times from zombie attacks where 15 of them were flourishing from all directions at super speeds and almost tore us apart. 

The game is amazing with this new addon? And they are now thinking about bringing it down back to normal because people will complain....

The fact that when running with my M4 out makes the zombies catch up to me and overpower me and kill me is a really good feeling now. I know it sounds odd, but the Mod was a PVP fest, a call of duty on a big map. Now we have a real zombie game. Something that makes us work to loot, its not the player that is the enemy anymore, its the zombies. 

Do not let this happen? Show the love, its a zombie apocalypse, we need to fear the zombies.

Well considering if you just started and you only have a shovel to your name you cant kill or knock the zombie over unless you have a firearm of some kind  or a fire axe that can one shot the zombies, its super hard to start off. By then you have lost an arm all your stuff is ruined.

I honestly think that it was the best move DayZ has made so far making the Zombies run so fast in this latest patch (about 3 hours ago released). I'm on stable and I've never had to experience the Zombie Apocalypse as fun as this. Now, you have to actually care about the zombies, they are not just annoying now and the thing keeping you from having fun. They are now things that you have to worry about, and scare you. Me and my friend just ran through Elektro and almost died ~8 times from zombie attacks where 15 of them were flourishing from all directions at super speeds and almost tore us apart. 

The game is amazing with this new addon? And they are now thinking about bringing it down back to normal because people will complain....

The fact that when running with my M4 out makes the zombies catch up to me and overpower me and kill me is a really good feeling now. I know it sounds odd, but the Mod was a PVP fest, a call of duty on a big map. Now we have a real zombie game. Something that makes us work to loot, its not the player that is the enemy anymore, its the zombies. 

Do not let this happen? Show the love, its a zombie apocalypse, we need to fear the zombies.

Well considering if you just started and you only have a shovel to your name you cant kill or knock the zombie over unless you have a firearm of some kind  or a fire axe that can one shot the zombies, its super hard to start off. By then you have lost an arm all your stuff is ruined.

Has anyone noticed that zombies have much higher hitpoints now/mele weapons are near useless?

Yesterday I hit a zombie in the head with a crowbar about 20 times before it died, that's insane. Also I am being roflstomped by tiny groups of zombies. It's insane!

Zombies shouldn't be tanks, it makes the early game too difficult. Also they shouldn't be able to outrun you. Running away from zombies should be an option rather than having to stand and fight every time you see one.

I would rather have large numbers of weak, jogging zombies rather than small numbers of Olympic sprinting tanks. It really takes a lot from the game.

Has anyone noticed that zombies have much higher hitpoints now/mele weapons are near useless?

Yesterday I hit a zombie in the head with a crowbar about 20 times before it died, that's insane. Also I am being roflstomped by tiny groups of zombies. It's insane!

Zombies shouldn't be tanks, it makes the early game too difficult. Also they shouldn't be able to outrun you. Running away from zombies should be an option rather than having to stand and fight every time you see one.

I would rather have large numbers of weak, jogging zombies rather than small numbers of Olympic sprinting tanks. It really takes a lot from the game.

In my humble opinion:

>Zombies should be outrun by a sprinting player, but an invisible "stamina" meter (when we get stable vehicles) means you can't run forever and will tire, especially if you're carrying stuff, forcing you to ditch your stuff, or find a vehicle, or hide, or fight the zombie.

>Fresh spawns should be able to easily outrun zombies in the early game, because they aren't carrying heavy gear that lowers their stamina.

>Zombies should carry loot to make them worth killing. Military zombies should have ammo.

>In melee combat, zombies should be easy-ish to kill, but also even one zombie should be able to hurt you heaps if they get close, so players try not to fight zombies in melee because it's too risky, and save their bullets for fighting unavoidable zombies rather than for KoSing. Zombies should be able to survive a fair few bullets each (being pain-immune running virus missiles) but be susceptible to having their head, legs or arms lopped off, or their heart stabbed.

>Zombies should tackle too, and players should be able to shoulder charge/shove.

I think zombies of this speed, strength, sturdiness and reward value would be perfect for DayZ, make them the scary focus of the game again like they were in the mod, discourage KoS, add action to the game and make things more fun and realistic in general.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 3

In my humble opinion:

>Zombies should be outrun by a sprinting player, but an invisible "stamina" meter (when we get stable vehicles) means you can't run forever and will tire, especially if you're carrying stuff, forcing you to ditch your stuff, or find a vehicle, or hide, or fight the zombie.

>Fresh spawns should be able to easily outrun zombies in the early game, because they aren't carrying heavy gear that lowers their stamina.

>Zombies should carry loot to make them worth killing. Military zombies should have ammo.

>In melee combat, zombies should be easy-ish to kill, but also even one zombie should be able to hurt you heaps if they get close, so players try not to fight zombies in melee because it's too risky, and save their bullets for fighting unavoidable zombies rather than for KoSing. Zombies should be able to survive a fair few bullets each (being pain-immune running virus missiles) but be susceptible to having their head, legs or arms lopped off, or their heart stabbed.

>Zombies should tackle too, and players should be able to shoulder charge/shove.

I think zombies of this speed, strength, sturdiness and reward value would be perfect for DayZ, make them the scary focus of the game again like they were in the mod, discourage KoS, add action to the game and make things more fun and realistic in general.

Can't find any fault with that.

• Like 2

honest opinons about what they could do to fix zombies..

Simple thread asking what you think Dayz zombies could use in the way of "fixes".

My main issues with zombies!

1. their hit rate, its insanely too high, as a fresh spawn i almost bleed completely out trying to kill a zombie with any of the melee weapons.

2. their hit points (I.E. Health) with guns its not a problem.. but almost all of the melee weapons (axe excluded) its almost impossible to kill them without losing most of your blood!.

3. following distance.. sometimes i have to completely run out of the city/field im in just to get them to stop chasing me.

feel free to add to the list, im sure i can think of more issues i see but just curious as to what some of you other dayz people see wrong with them