Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

This. This is not WarZ, lol if you want a casual arcade experience, by all means go play that or Nether or Rust or some other crappy wanna-be survival game. DayZ is meant to be an anti-game, and not a casual nor friendly experience. If you can't handle that, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I fully support no auto run key.

So the only difference between a hard-core game and a casual one is holding down the W key?

Got it. Makes sense when you think about it....... on acid.

• Like 3

Auto run is like a very slow form of teleporting or botting. You start on your path, leave to make a sangwich/grab a beer/smoke a cig/take a shit and then come back and you're at your destination. I am against the idea but I don't care so much as to give you crap for wanting it, it wouldn't affect my gameplay at all if you used it.

this is the stupidest shit I've read in a while. Blizzard don't allow botting in World of Warcraft. they do however have an autorun key. ....

It's nowhere near the same thing. Botting allows you to AFK for days on end. autorun doesn't.

• Like 1

Being able to get up and do worldly tasks while your character is still progressing is certainly an advantage.

Nah.

You have to look where you are running, otherwise you'll get stuck/fall off/get shot/get eaten.

• Like 4

So why is it good when I put something heavy on my keyboard, but bad if I use an AutoIt script doing the exact same thing? :o

Edited by DerDuderich

So why is it good when I put something heavy on my keyboard, but bad if I use an AutoIt script doing the exact same thing? :o

As long as the devs consider it an exploit, we can't let you post scripts that enables it on these forums. Those are the instructions I've been given, untill they change I'll have to make those scripts go away.

We moderate according to a set of rules and guidelines, not our own whims (despite what some people will tell you).

I'd also really appreciate it if you took matters of moderation to PM next time you have an issue, doing it here drags the topic off-topic.

• Like 2

this is the stupidest shit I've read in a while. Blizzard don't allow botting in World of Warcraft. they do however have an autorun key. ....

It's nowhere near the same thing. Botting allows you to AFK for days on end. autorun doesn't.

I never said it WAS teleporting/botting, I said it was LIKE a slow form for teleporting/botting. You're character is moving, and you're doing stuff in the real world, like a script would enable you to do. Theoretically you could auto-run AFK for days on end into a wall, the only difference is that you would die to other factors before the day ended.

Nah.

You have to look where you are running, otherwise you'll get stuck/fall off/get shot/get eaten.

You could teleport/autorun into lava/off a cliff etc. in another game because you weren't paying attention and it would also kill you, and that hasn't stopped people from doing worldly tasks either.

And once again I'll state I don't care if its implemented, if you want to auto run that is absolutely fine with me, it won't affect my play style.

Edited by Dethsupport

Not hazing you for posting the argument, as someone was bound to sooner or later, but there's a few major differences between botting/cheating and having a hotkey for autorun.

The first is that scripts and bots in other games are an illegal element because they are a: detrimental to the income of the developing company, and b: provide an unfair advantage to the groups using them, or skew the gameplay experience in some other way that is detrimental to some or all of the game's players. You might find some few exceptions, but in general the standard is pretty much the same. An autorun key does neither. It simply adds a function most players are using implements to do at the moment when they need to do something else/rest their hand.

The second is that bots and scripts generally require a fair bit of coding, and either work to bypass something in the game's code or alter it. An autorun keybind, done externally, is more like a macro than a script. It simply holds an input command without the need for a constant check on whether the hardware input is happening or not. It alters nothing, bypasses nothing; it has no effect on the game code.

Lastly, botting is generally used to make your character play for you... which I have never understood the need for outside of gatherers/RMT spammers in MMOs. Where's the fun in not actually playing the game? Autorun simply lets it move forward for you. You still have to pay attention, still have to turn to avoid obstacles or crouch to avoid zombie attention. If there's an autorun key, it just means you can make quick tabs in/out of the game when you're trying to track conversations or activity from internet tabs or other things running on your computer. It means that when you've got a small army of zombies chasing you and Norton decides to start running a scan, you can tab out to kill that process without tabbing back in to find yourself unconscious and bleeding from a few dozen newly dug trenches in your avatar (most of the time).

It just smooths out what is currently a really frustrating part of the game - gives you back that little bit of multitasking ability you have with most other games, and most other activites that involve a computer in general. I don't know about the rest of you, but what little social activity I take part in is slowly withering when I actually invest time in doing shit in the mod. A major part of that is the fact that I can't actually do anything without my character standing around - usually in plain view - while I'm attending to whatever platform of communication I happen to be using.

I still don't understand why so many are adamantly against it.

Pros:

Players can give the middle finger a rest.

Enables the use of other functions (alt to look around, inventory manipulation, etc) without have to do finger gymnastics that wear on the hand muscles, and continue towards our objectives.

Gives us a chance to sort of "sit back and enjoy the view", in a sense, enabling us to just let our characters run without constant input from us.

Affects other player's gameplay in no way whatsoever. Players that don't like it don't have to do it.

Cons:

Some players may abuse this, setting their characters to run while they go piss, smoke, eat, whatever.

I don't see any other cons. And that last one STILL has no effect on anyone else. If anything, players doing this would be taking a huge risk. They might run off a cliff, a sharp incline that breaks their legs, get spotted and shot, hit an obstacle 30 seconds into the run and go NOWHERE (and possible get discovered and shot). Any player that did this would be STUPID. And they would pay for it eventually. And it STILL does not affect anyone else, with the exception that somebody might end up with some free stuff.

I do this (with a quarter) to give my hand a break, simplify the gameplay somewhat, and I am always right there, watching and interacting. I still don't see a valid argument that shows this SHOULDNT be a feature. And it is the one thing that I think the devs and dean have gotten wrong.

• Like 2

Auto run is like a very slow form of teleporting or botting. You start on your path, leave to make a sangwich/grab a beer/smoke a cig/take a shit and then come back and you're at your destination. I am against the idea but I don't care so much as to give you crap for wanting it, it wouldn't affect my gameplay at all if you used it.

Many people have already stated before and after your post that auto-run is nothing like a teleporting/fast travel system. It cannot get you to your destination automatically. You still have to guide your character and watch for danger.  And there is no reasonable person who would consider an auto-run key 'botting'. 

I keep seeing the word 'abuse" as well in relation to the autorun key. How can you 'abuse' the autorun key?? People are using wording that does not make sense in the context of an autorun key. It cannot be abused, there is no possible way for someone to abuse the autorun key. It does not make people go faster, or become invincible, or automatically get them to their destination. Getting a sandwich or taking a piss is not abuse. Those actions dont give anyone a gameplay advantage, and actually have a large disadvantage in that you could walk off a cliff, into zombies, or players who want to kill you. I myself never leave my character unattended while using my auto run macro. If people want to go afk while auto running, let them. Easier targets.

Again the only thing the autorun key is for, is the comfort of the player fingers. Holding down the W for long durations can cause discomfort. I will continue to use my macro if they dont add an autorun key but would prefer a proper more elegant in game method.  I will also continue to respond to the silly arguments against an autorun key. There is absolutely no reason to not have the command in game. 

i h8 pressin keys down for hours, but i wouldnt like a autorun key.

Zippo and ruler works just fine.

You would rather fumble with that clumsy contraption instead of pressing a button that does the same thing? Why?  

• Like 1

Guys.

As long as the devs consider autorun an exploit, you can't share scripts/macros here. Don't post them or advertise them in any other way, please.

This stands until the forum team gets different instructions on this.

Fini.

Just use a macro holy hell. There are like a million ways to make one.

Edited by myshl0ng

Anyone else feel that this simple feature should be added?  I know im not alone here so lets speak up.

In all my time playing DayZ mod the only scenario where I really felt the need for "autorun" was with long boat trips on maps like Taviana and to be frank I just stuck a coin in my keyboard. But for Chernarus it would seem rather like missing the point, if you autorun then you're not playing the game, you need to keep your eyes peeled for hidden vehicles and tents and you need to be aware of your surroundings and the tactical aspects of the terrain... you do not run in a straight line to your destination, you move from cover to cover, fitting in surveillance positions, you don't do that, you're dead

But, and there is a big BUTT, most of this gameplay simply isn't in the game yet as the features haven't been implemented, no vehicles, no bases/tents, no animals to hunt, and no one else around precisely because these things aren't in yet... so yeah, NOW an autorun key would be neat, but that has nothing to do with the direction of the development of the game, and everything to to with mitigating some of the shortcomings of the early alpha bare bones build. 

hmm yeah auto everything, auto loot button, im too lazy to take a proper shot too.. auto aim..

Autorun would be nice, however when wehicles arrive it will not be a priority for many players anymore.

Why run, when you can drive?

Because sometimes getting to the next city on foot is ten times as fast as collecting the myriad parts you're going to need to make a vehicle drivable ;P

To be honest, even 8 minutes is too long to be holding one single key.  'W' is an important key, and I don't want DayZ to be the one that kills it. 

Here is why auto run is not as bad as it sounds, and is a fairly good addition to the game.  The assumption is that it's implemented as described, of course.

• It's realistic to sort of "auto-walk" while you pay attention to your torso and hands to do something or have a conversation while moving.
  • Auto works on walk, run and sprint, and when sprinting drains your stamina you drop to a run and it doesn't start sprinting for you again.  Optionally again to a walk depending on the stamina mechanics.
  • Auto running in a forest or field have (probably different) chances of tripping you, and then you're just prone until you do something about it for not paying attention while running through a forest.
  • If you wanna run in the street, I say go for it.
  • So the addition of auto run won't let people go AFK unpunished by not allowing them to stop paying attention to the game without dying. This is how almost every other part of DayZ works.

There always has to be a few bad apples to spoil a completely awesome idea.  I like it; us old folks who play don't agree with the 10-15 year old crowd about holding down the W key for long extended periods.  The people who are against this idea would be most likely against any type of major improvement from Alpha stage anyway.

Good topic!

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

So how about that autorun key? Or are Rocket just gonna add great stuff like using flashlight during daylight.

Add good stamina system and auto run key is your enemy.

A simple Match Stick  ;)

5FE0594A-3B29-47BA-90EF-BE8840EC1F24_zps

Man buys sophisticated technology that enables him to toggle his run key. Shoves match in instead.

:emptycan:

• People are already auto-running via match sticks, coins, keyboard macros and a whole manner of other methods
  • There is no way of detecting if *any* of these methods are being used, therefore there is no way of preventing it's use

Reworking the interface to allow for an auto-run key should by no means be a priority, but given the above any argument against it's eventual addition is absurd. If we never have a hot-key for this, we'll simply continue using weights, coins and perfectly legal keyboard macros to do it instead. Let's not be so petty, eh? Let's save the abuse of keyboards and the advantage expensive gaming keyboards offer over their cheaper counterparts. Let's keep the playing field even.

Hopefully there will be some kind of fatigue system implemented in the future to prevent "point and afk for 10" play.

Edit: Spelling and grammar.

Edited by Mithrawndo

Add good stamina system and auto run key is your enemy.

Fair point but I still would like to have auto run even if for walking only. For instance I have to pull my hairs when I have to lead my char up to a steep hill enduring the supercasual walk all the way up. 

Authentic? sure but bloody time consuming too

Edited by Colonel-Wicked