Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

I guess for now it's useless junk.  But hey, so were sticks until splints were made craftable.

Ya, I figured the duct tape was used for taping identical clips together

I never knew how the sticks worked.  I thought we needed duct tape but others have pointed out we only need bandages.  So what is the duct tap for or is it more useless junk?

Last I'd heard,nits used to tape two stag 30 rounds together to make a 60. Outside of that, maybe tent repair down the line?

Last I'd heard,nits used to tape two stag 30 rounds together to make a 60. Outside of that, maybe tent repair down the line?

I've tried.  Maybe we need an auto tape key :D

My method of preference is a toothpick, works amazing well... With a coin it takes me a couple trys before I get it right... I would show you guys a picture but man is my keyboard ever filthy

• Like 1

My method of preference is a toothpick, works amazing well... With a coin it takes me a couple trys before I get it right... I would show you guys a picture but man is my keyboard ever filthy

I'll use a coin sometimes but that's usually when I'm going to meet up with my buddies. I've also mapped my double press w to my cntrl button so I no longer have to double tap lol.
  • Like 1

Just to give you guys a better picture of the "ideal" (imo) situation involving auto run.

When I use the quarter trick, I am still at the keyboard. Left hand on "WASD", right on the mouse. I wedge in a quarter, and im off. Right. While on the move, I occasionally press ALT to take a look around, zoom in on a suspicious bush, see that zombie, check the horizon for known landmarks by which I navigate, look behind me, et.

And I only need to press one key to do all that, meanwhile I'm still running. How is this "immersion breaking" or not realistic. IRL, I don't need to perform complex finger gymnastics to be able to run and do other things at the same time. I just RUN! I don't have to THINK about it. Its all muscle memory. Yeah, I have to constantly and consciously CHOOSE to keep running or to stop, but I don't think about it if I do. I just DO IT. And while the same could be said for holding the w key, well......its a game. Im here to have fun, and I don't enjoy CONSTANTLY holding w to run, and there is a LOT of running in dayz.

Further, you know what's awesome? Right next to where I sit while playing is my K-cup brewer. The kind that uses k-cups OR coffee grounds. When im traversing a long distance, sometimes ill quarter it up, grab my water bottle, dump it into the brewer, stick a cup in and brew. Then when its done 30 seconds later, I double tap ALT, and take a sip from my piping hot coffee while I take a look around me while I run. All the while im thinking to myself:

"What town/location am I going to next? I guess I'll go there. How should I approach it tho? *sip I guess I could try coming in through that one tree line and follow up by strafing the barn.... WHAT THE??? oh. just a zombie rabbit. almost spilled my coffee. *sip I really like how the sky box looks. especially at nighttime. I wonder if other players have noticed that the starts on the skybox form ACTUAL constellations like orion, Cassiopeia, or the dippers.*sip. what town is that? must be one of the sobors...yep theres the water tower.....*sip this coffee needs more sugar."

All while still running. Im still here. just taking a moment to relax the fingers (lets face it, after a few hours, they get a little stiff. No, im not in excruciating pain, but its nice to be able to take your hands off the keyboard and pop your knuckles, stretch the arms and back and neck, without having to stop running), take in the sights, plan and plot out my next step, and drink my coffee. And the moment something noteworthy happens the cup goes down, quarter comes out and im ready to go. Now, I realize that some people would abuse this system by using it as a chance to walk away, running along as they take a piss, make a phone call, or whatever people do when they aren't playing dayz. So what? they don't hurt anyone by doing it. Its stupid, and will probably get them killed at some point, but that's not YOUR problem now is it?

Thus far I have not seen within this thread anything to indicate or explain why there SHOULDNT be an autorun key, that was expressed in clear, intelligent language, and didn't sound insulting. To be fair, people on both sides of the argument have been slinging shit at each other.

So tell me, detractors? WHY SHOULDNT there be an auto run function. Give me an arguable, defensible reason.

• Like 6

Just to give you guys a better picture of the "ideal" (imo) situation involving auto run.

When I use the quarter trick, I am still at the keyboard. Left hand on "WASD", right on the mouse. I wedge in a quarter, and im off. Right. While on the move, I occasionally press ALT to take a look around, zoom in on a suspicious bush, see that zombie, check the horizon for known landmarks by which I navigate, look behind me, et.

And I only need to press one key to do all that, meanwhile I'm still running. How is this "immersion breaking" or not realistic. IRL, I don't need to perform complex finger gymnastics to be able to run and do other things at the same time. I just RUN! I don't have to THINK about it. Its all muscle memory. Yeah, I have to constantly and consciously CHOOSE to keep running or to stop, but I don't think about it if I do. I just DO IT. And while the same could be said for holding the w key, well......its a game. Im here to have fun, and I don't enjoy CONSTANTLY holding w to run, and there is a LOT of running in dayz.

Further, you know what's awesome? Right next to where I sit while playing is my K-cup brewer. The kind that uses k-cups OR coffee grounds. When im traversing a long distance, sometimes ill quarter it up, grab my water bottle, dump it into the brewer, stick a cup in and brew. Then when its done 30 seconds later, I double tap ALT, and take a sip from my piping hot coffee while I take a look around me while I run. All the while im thinking to myself:

"What town/location am I going to next? I guess I'll go there. How should I approach it tho? *sip I guess I could try coming in through that one tree line and follow up by strafing the barn.... WHAT THE??? oh. just a zombie rabbit. almost spilled my coffee. *sip I really like how the sky box looks. especially at nighttime. I wonder if other players have noticed that the starts on the skybox form ACTUAL constellations like orion, Cassiopeia, or the dippers.*sip. what town is that? must be one of the sobors...yep theres the water tower.....*sip this coffee needs more sugar."

All while still running. Im still here. just taking a moment to relax the fingers (lets face it, after a few hours, they get a little stiff. No, im not in excruciating pain, but its nice to be able to take your hands off the keyboard and pop your knuckles, stretch the arms and back and neck, without having to stop running), take in the sights, plan and plot out my next step, and drink my coffee. And the moment something noteworthy happens the cup goes down, quarter comes out and im ready to go. Now, I realize that some people would abuse this system by using it as a chance to walk away, running along as they take a piss, make a phone call, or whatever people do when they aren't playing dayz. So what? they don't hurt anyone by doing it. Its stupid, and will probably get them killed at some point, but that's not YOUR problem now is it?

Thus far I have not seen within this thread anything to indicate or explain why there SHOULDNT be an autorun key, that was expressed in clear, intelligent language, and didn't sound insulting. To be fair, people on both sides of the argument have been slinging shit at each other.

So tell me, detractors? WHY SHOULDNT there be an auto run function. Give me an arguable, defensible reason.

How about I just give you beans and call it a day?

Fatigue, many many more zombies, getting sniped, traps, wild animals, tripping over obstacles, damaging feet due to poor/worn foot wear. Yes some of these do not exist yet but that is the issue that the pro auto runners aren't looking at. Incomplete game that's missing many features as to why auto-run won't work. Edited by Caboose187

I think people are stuck on the idea that people will just go AFK for 10-15 minutes while their said character runs to an AB or MB. However it doesn't work like that in DayZ even with an auto-run feature you would still constantly have to be attentive with the amount of things you can get stuck on or die from. so +1 for auto-run.

Fatigue, many many more zombies, getting sniped, traps, wild animals, tripping over obstacles, damaging feet due to poor/worn foot wear. Yes some of these do not exist yet but that is the issue that the pro auto runners aren't looking at. Incomplete game that's missing many features as to why auto-run won't work.

It would work just fine, depending on your intention.

It wouldn't work for pointing your guy north, then go make a sandwich, then come back and be where you wanted to be. That wouldn't be the purpose either.

What it would work for, is giving my naughty finger some well deserved rest while I control direction with the other hand and pay close attention to my surroundings.

It wouldn't make anything any less 'realistic', unless you run with your 3rd finger in real life.

• Like 1

He can out talk me lol, it's a tactical retreat :P

Not a retreat.  Just an advance in the opposite direction. ^_^

• Like 1

It would work just fine, depending on your intention.

It wouldn't work for pointing your guy north, then go make a sandwich, then come back and be where you wanted to be. That wouldn't be the purpose either.

What it would work for, is giving my naughty finger some well deserved rest while I control direction with the other hand and pay close attention to my surroundings.

It wouldn't make anything any less 'realistic', unless you run with your 3rd finger in real life.

I run like that IRL.

finger_man_lg.gif

• Like 4

You must have been saving that pic for a thread like this, good show.

• Like 2

You must have been saving that pic for a thread like this, good show.

Haha, thanks :beans: :thumbsup: ^_^

I would honestly just settle for a follow feature so I could follow friends while I run out to smoke.

However, this game has caused me to smoke a lot less so good on you, DayZ

• Like 1

What are you going to do while your character is auto running, anyway? Take a shower? Eat? Watch pron? Lol. Like DayZ players have anything better to do. 

-make a rollie (or a joint?) or just play using my mouse and not have the hastle of having to have my left arm extended and using the keyboard constantly  -take your pick...

• Like 1

I would honestly just settle for a follow feature so I could follow friends while I run out to smoke.

However, this game has caused me to smoke a lot less so good on you, DayZ

Electronic cig, I now smoke more, thank you dayz lol

We need an autorun button!  My middle finger fucking hurts after running across the map for an hour straight.

Throw a weight / object on your w key. Works wonders and no 3rd party programs necessary.

I'm currently in the process of crafting the perfectly weighted tower of dimes. Must go run more errands to get more change! It just seems silly to me that so many players are going out of their way to do stuff like this. Can't we just have an auto run feature? Is it really that big of a deal? I understand why Rocket doesn't want it, but this is one of those instances where forcing his vision of the game just isn't practical... for anybody. It's not like it's actually stopping people from auto running anyway. It's just about some silly principle. An auto run key should be implemented for the sake of streamlining a really annoying and silly process that we shouldn't be a part of DayZ. I think the fans would appreciate the gesture. I know I would. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2

Fatigue, many many more zombies, getting sniped, traps, wild animals, tripping over obstacles, damaging feet due to poor/worn foot wear. Yes some of these do not exist yet but that is the issue that the pro auto runners aren't looking at. Incomplete game that's missing many features as to why auto-run won't work.

Why would any of those make auto run not work?  Why does it matter to you if people get sniped, run into traps, trip, or damage their feet?? Why does it matter to you if people get fatigued? I will get fatigued if I hold down the key or use auto-run, it makes no difference. Anyone who would complain about getting fatigued or dying from auto-run is a moron, so lets not use their potential complaints as an argument against auto-run, ok?? 

How about we dont call it it Auto-run because people seem to be latching onto the RUN part of it. In all games that have and Auto-Run are actually just Auto Move Forward button. So I would be fine with auto walking, hell I even do auto walking currently with my macro by using the in game toggle for run/walk.  

When I use my auto-move forward button I still pay attention to my surroundings and so do all the other smart players. I drive alot for a living and use cruise control often but I still have to pay attention to the road and other drivers or I could die. It is the same thing with auto-move forward. 

So far no one has come up with an intelligent argument against auto-run. I really do want to understand why people are so negative towards a simple key command? 

• Like 1

It will be less of an issue when the game is finished. Vehicles, re-spawning loot, ect.

You wont 'need' to run 40km to get whatever you want.

20140214_212920.jpg

What I've been reduced to. Curse you dean!!! *shakes fist*

In case you're wondering, two stacks of coins are necessary because I can't get my w to stick after double tapping.  <_<

Also, before anyone one else mentions it, that white shit in the front is probably what you think it is. The rest of the white shit is dust. No regrets. Flash reveals all. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 4