Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

yeah, well if you were running, more than your knuckles would feel tired

I didn't say tired, I said pain. I have arthritis in my knuckles and nothing you can say will make me go "oh, this guy is right, I should experience pain while playing a video game". I will use every method available to me in order to alleviate it, I will stick things under my keys and I will use third-party software to create macros, and if you don't like it then tough. I just wish it were a standard feature as it is in many games with a lot of running (especially every MMO out there, which this game claims to be).

What will become of this function when you can only manage to run 100m with 40kg of gear?  There doesn't need to be an auto-run key, this isn't Skyrim.

I'd be using such a function all the time if it were in the game, pretty much all the time I when I wasn't in a firefight. I don't understand the problem, it doesn't give anyone an advantage and it would be simple to implement. Edited by DarkwaveDomina

What will become of this function when you can only manage to run 100m with 40kg of gear?  There doesn't need to be an auto-run key, this isn't Skyrim.

Im guessing walking to catch your breath would be doable, so it would be double tapping shift every 100m to keep him going. That's how it could be managed to make it not viable for afk'ing, but still work to save our hands in the long run :)

No auto run feature is just dumb.

People wil land DO find a way around it... eg: Special Keyboards and just sticking things in between their keys. they might as well just do it.

Running for hours through NOTHING... absolutely NOTHING.. no content except trees is just ....well.... who wants to do digital nature walk running sim 2014 for that long?

I'd be using such a function all the time if it were in the game, pretty much all the time I when I wasn't in a firefight. I don't understand the problem, it doesn't give anyone an advantage and it would be simple to implement.

It doesn't fit with the games hyper-realistic tone.  The human body, no matter what prior conditioning, cannot sustain a full sprint for very long and is usually saved for the most dire of situations.  It would be a nice little feature if they put it in but I just can't imagine it seeing much use when you can't sprint indefinitely.  They are probably better off spending resources on the serious problems with the game.

It doesn't fit with the games hyper-realistic tone.  The human body, no matter what prior conditioning, cannot sustain a full sprint for very long and is usually saved for the most dire of situations.  It would be a nice little feature if they put it in but I just can't imagine it seeing much use when you can't sprint indefinitely.  They are probably better off spending resources on the serious problems with the game.

I'm not buying the "hyper-realistic tone" argument whatsoever, holding down W does not make the game in any way more realistic or more difficult, only more tedious. There's a huge difference.

As for resources, it should not require much effort at all to add an auto-run key, and effort should be expended on implementing realistic stamina and tiredness as well as linking activity to hydration and energy (currently these things are not in any way linked, which is clearly not intentional).

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is talking about the double-tab 'W' sprint function, auto-run should be the normal jogging speed. Basically, identical to holding down 'W'. It wouldn't change a dot when it comes to 'realism', it would just save your finger from strain.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is talking about the double-tab 'W' sprint function, auto-run should be the normal jogging speed. Basically, identical to holding down 'W'. It wouldn't change a dot when it comes to 'realism', it would just save your finger from strain.

This would be the best way to implement it.  I don't think they would go as far as to make players unable to JOG. and certainly not walk, indefinitely.

This would be the best way to implement it.  I don't think they would go as far as to make players unable to JOG. and certainly not walk, indefinitely.

I actually hope that if/when energy and hydration are linked to activity, walking will be a more common thing and sprinting will only be used to dodge gunfire.

I actually hope that if/when energy and hydration are linked to activity, walking will be a more common thing and sprinting will only be used to dodge gunfire.

well if you are walking.... your getting sniped... you aint dodging shit. And for Running Murder SImulator 2014 walking would just make KOS a terrible experience for new players and old

well if you are walking.... your getting sniped... you aint dodging shit. And for Running Murder SImulator 2014 walking would just make KOS a terrible experience for new players and old

I used to walk and jog everywhere when standalone was still new, before players like Merino confirmed that it has no effect on thirst and hunger. I got along just fine sprinting across open terrain (which I avoided a lot more) and when hearing gunfire.

You mean like how (third person|zombies|food tins, yet cars a rusted out junk|etc...) doesn't fit the games hyper-realistic tone? I think if we can have 3pp we can have an auto move forwards key.

• Like 1

Wait..... we aren't talking about auto-run at double-tap sprint speed? I know that's what I'm talking about.

Auto-run at jogging speed would be just painful to watch. I'd rather break my fingers and go full sprint than just jog across that massive map. :P

You mean like how (third person|zombies|food tins, yet cars a rusted out junk|etc...) doesn't fit the games hyper-realistic tone? I think if we can have 3pp we can have an auto move forwards key.

To be fair, a lot of the cans of food you find are rusted out as well.  Also, you don't have to play on regular servers.  I play on hardcore almost exclusively.

I saw in one of the live streams that Dean held where he states they didnt want to go in the direction of using an auto run key.  WTF!

This game is 225 km squared and yet you still persist on not adding a freaking auto run key?  So far the developers have been pretty involved in what the communities needs are, from deciding what guns we want to other things.  Bohemia do yourself a favor and add an Auto Run feature.  My W key is begging you and I'm braving carpal tunnel syndrome just playing this game.

Because you the designers (or maybe just Dean) feel that it isn't appropriate doesn't mean that your player base (and paying customers) wouldn't like to have this feature.  If you want the hardcore realism you could simply, ohh I dont know... Not bind an auto run key?!

Anyone else feel that this simple feature should be added?  I know im not alone here so lets speak up.

because it is more fun to make your own auto-run set up

cause some people actually feel like, I dunno, playing the game

"Playing" the "game"

Cute, considering last time i checked holding down a button isn't really playing a game....Or if you DO consider that "playing" I stand by the fact ALL PC MMO like games have auto run keys...

So either way it makes sense to include one then to not have one.

Yup this is sneaky attempt to revive the thread

The topic was still active, don't worry :P

• Like 1

If you figured out how to auto run... you dont talk about auto run.
Edit: But, seriously man up, stop being a lazy ass while being a lazy ass playing a video game.

Edited by Boneboys
  • Like 1

Since everyone is using a key or a weight to auto-run, why not implement the feature anyways?

Instead of using gimmicks to auto run, just assume this as a feature. Isn't the point of an alpha listening to what the community has to say? Most of the people posting here stated they used the coin trick to auto-run.

There are no vehicles. And there won't be a long, long time. This is a huge map, and since the Standalone is assuming itself as a MMO, and if I recall correctly, most MMOs have a auto run feature... do the math.

I personally like it without auto run, it's a minor inconvenience that I feel adds something to the game.  It demands that slight bit more of interaction from the player, and in some cases can cause a small amount of discomfort.  Yeah people are going to jam shit on their keys any ways, I do it myself some times (I like to use my swiss army knife, keeps me in the mood =P) but even doing that it's still less convenient than just hitting a button once.

That's a good thing for this type of game.

Something I think people should put more thought into is all the tiny factors that add up to make DayZ what it is.  I think it's often overlooked that a lot of the quirks and inconveniences of the controls and the gameplay are actually what make the game intense.  It's a dangerous thing to streamline too much or you will lose some of that.  Am I saying it's the end of dayz should they put in auto run?  No of course not, but it's all those little bits that add up and you take too many away and the game becomes something else completely.

I have an auto run half a clothes peg works well