Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

Have any of you guys ever got plain out fu**** sick at holding down your W button 24/7 and made a auto run key? If so please give me suggestions cause I myself am getting sick of it, thanks.

I have a keyboard that lets me bind macro's. They are pretty cheap. I just have it spam "W" every 10ms with a toggle, it keeps me sprinting...

It is highly dependant on the keyboard... a few coins, a paper clip... .

I have a keyboard with very low keys, like a notebook keyboard. I use two batteries, one under the keyboard to make it even, one stands on the w key. With higher keys, sticking some paper or a pick like LigerRider might be easier, does not work with mine.

Edited by bautschi

I stick a guitar pick between the 2 and 3 keys from the bottom so that it hold the W key down.

It's not working for me!

Edited by Azzerrrr

It's not working for me!

take some pennys, tape them together and putt on W.

take some pennys, tape them together and putt on W.

problem is im a germ freak! xD I just hate to stand the fact that thousands of druggie, homeless gypsies have handled the coin prior to me.

get a bic pen, snap off the plastic 'tooth' found running along length of lid, jam as a lever/spring between 2 & W

For long runs, I place a USB stick cap (Lid), on the W key, and place my mobile phone on it. 

It's not working for me!

51r7z8.jpg

Double tap W to sprint and do the 'ol switcheroo.

Edited by LigerRider

51r7z8.jpg

Double tap W to sprint and do the 'ol switcheroo.

Life saver.

Auto run, suggestions !

Ah, I have just the Topic for you !

Merged

• Like 1

I think Devs should work on adding features to the game which will make it intense even when you are running in a forest in butt-fuck-no-where. Stamina, fatigue, temperature, feral/lethal animals and addictions all of these things should be put in the game so that players always have something to worry about or look forward to. Wasting time on adding a auto run key is a stupid idea in my opinion. This game is already being referred to as a running simulator a auto run key will only make it worse.

• Like 1

You won't need an auto run key once fatigue system is implemented.

I really don't get why every one is nagging for an auto run key? Are you really that lazy? If you wan't to get something, put some effort in to it. Or do you also want the map to be only 20x20 meters and that every one spawns with their full gear after death?

I bound run to one of the side buttons on my mouse (a lot of mice(?) have at least two on the side).

(Also if you bind iron sights to one of these you bring your gun up much quicker than if its on the same button as raise weapon)

Real men have wheel and pedals. Just assign pedals and wheel right and you've auto run and you can even move left and right with the wheel while sitting back :D

I just jam a pair of tweezers over the W-key, and it works fine. An auto-key would be acceptable IF it would only work when the screen was up, or else I'd see ten billion people either running north to Namalsk, or attempting to swim the sea to reach the shores of Lingor

<p>

Why I want an auto-run key:

• Right now there are no vehicles so we have to run %90 of the play time.
  • Holding W for 50 minutes is really giving my hands ache
  • It's not entertaining and really stupid to hold a single button, it's not a game nor a simulation element.
  • You don't push buttons or use keyboard in real life action. (holding W is realistic lol)
I could do it wih a macro or somehow block the "W" key but:
  • I just don't want to, why would a game force me to use another software other than the game itself?
  • That's something should already be implemented to alpha since DayZ is not meant to be played this way. There are vehicles in DayZ mod.

Why people doN't want me to have a dedicated auto-run key

• They think holding a single button for one hour is realistic
  • They have nothing better to do than watch a guy running in the woods.
  • They think me being careless and run while I'm afk could hurt the game (seriously?)
  • They're just retarded.

Somebodies butthurt :) ... All you auto-run kids , I can't wait to rock you with my gardening hoe when I ask you if you're friendly and you just keep running lol now THATS retarded :) ... Afk kidz fo life since the mod ! Lol maybe these are the same people saying "someone haxxxxed me plox give back my gear I server hopped and auto ran for !!!"

Somebodies butthurt :) ... All you auto-run kids , I can't wait to rock you with my gardening hoe when I ask you if you're friendly and you just keep running lol now THATS retarded :) ... Afk kidz fo life since the mod ! Lol maybe these are the same people saying "someone haxxxxed me plox give back my gear I server hopped and auto ran for !!!"

Do you think you could possibly disagree with somebody without feeling the need to fling pointless, childish insults their way?

I wouldn't mind having the chance to take some strain off my middle finger, that dosn't mean I'm a child, a server hopper, that I go afk or that I post ranty moan thread on the forums if I get killed.

Seriously Grapefruit, that is simply no way to behave. If you can't discuss this in a little more mature manner, then please don't.

Edited by Max Planck

Didn't expect that sort of comment from one on the team.

It's simple game ergonomics, if an action is constantly repeated ad nauseum to the point of it causing physical discomfort then you've done a poor job designing your game. If it was something that had any sort of nuance then it'd be a different matter, but what people don't like is simply the fact that they have to hold one button down continuously for something that could very well end up being an hour. 

It's so irritating that most people have resorted to jamming things into their keyboards to have to avoid it. 

If you don't want it, just don't use it. 

It detracts nothing from the experience, and has no cons, it's not an easy win feature, it's just for those of us not interested in contracting carpal tunnel.

THIS!

It is actually possible to go to court on this and it happened in the past.

If the way a game was meant to be played by the developer causes unnecessary(in legal terms) harm or risk of harm to the consumer one may hold the developer accountable.

Many of my age may still remember how Nintendo almost got financially destroyed by the big law suit against Super Mario Party, since some design choices led to many people experiencing pain after long hours of play.

In the end Nintendo was made to offer every single buyer a free pair of special gloves, lucky for them not many knew that since it would have been the end of Nintendo... 

If you ask me it's ridiculous, if it hurts just stop playing.

Can't see the problem with autorun though.

It can be achieved via work arounds anyways, so not implementing it just gives those who autohotkey or find out of the box solutions an edge.

And for me running is like 82% of what I do in DayZ, not in a straight line but even when searching houses I don't let go of my autowalk, I stop when I loot by holding S for 1-2sec but other than that... a moving target is harder to hit.

Edited by RiotForPeace

I hope they won't add any auto-run key because of all the butthurt. They can introduce auto-run key when the stamina system is enough hard so you really want to walk so it's really an auto-walk key :D