Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

Please don't get carried away with a flamewar and memespam. Topic cleaned.

Please don't get carried away with a flamewar and memespam. Topic cleaned.

well, then i guess caboose should get some warnings, as he's always the one to start these stupid attacks to my person.

but thanks for clearing the useless discussion from the topic.

@topic

So, how that leaves us now? rocket said the game's price would go up with time, yet it's already on one of the steam's promotions, what's to expect?

Edited by lipemr

well, then i guess caboose should get some warnings, as he's always the one to start these stupid attacks to my person.

You're not free of guilt of attacking others verbally. Nor is Caboose187. Both of you should try to calm down before posting.

lipemr and Caboose187, stop now. This goes for both of you. If you don't agree, then ignore each other. But please do not start flamewars.

but thanks for clearing the useless discussion from the topic.

@topic

So, how that leaves us now? rocket said the game's price would go up with time, yet it's already on one of the steam's promotions, what's to expect?

Umm buddy it usually goes up AFTER alpha. Use common sense .. But for all the complainers , no this game is not worth buying yet... But for mature people like me (lawl to that ) and for people also like me who can recognize potential when they see it , I'd say this is a very worthy game to buy Right now.

It's got adrenaline filled pvp , attention to detail , promise and potential for so much more , awesome and never before seen (except for arma and the mod ) head swivel .. And I know that's not entirely new but for people playing crap like deadz warz or warzed remake the head swivel makes a world of difference for a survival aspect .

Also not to mention it's beautiful graphics and animations compared to(or just in general) other zombie games like 7 days to die, which even in their alpha 9.0 version the graphics are minecraftey at best ...

Edited by Grapefruit kush

Umm buddy it usually goes up AFTER alpha. Use common sense .. But for all the complainers , no this game is not worth buying yet... But for mature people like me (lawl to that ) and for people also like me who can recognize potential when they see it , I'd say this is a very worthy game to buy Right now. It's got adrenaline filled pvp , attention to detail , promise and potential for so much more , awesome and never before seen (except for arma and the mod ) head swivel .. And I know that's not entirely new but for people playing crap like deadz warz or warzed remake the head swivel makes a world of difference for a survival aspect . Also not to mention it's beautiful graphics and animations compared to other zombie games like 7 days to die, which even in their alpha 9.0 version the graphics are minecraftey at best ...

Funny you mention the head swivel because I was playing Planetside 2 the other day and I just couldn't enjoy the game without being able to look over my shoulder.  

Head swivel is awesome and should be an industry standard in FPS gams!

You have no idea how many times iv swapped over to l4d and am still trying to use it after an hours play lol :)

Head swivel is awesome and should be an industry standard in FPS gams!

You have no idea how many times iv swapped over to l4d and am still trying to use it after an hours play lol :)

I'd have to disagree.  As much as I would love for it to be industry standard, it would just not work for twitch shooters.  

And I hear ya, any shooter that I play outside of DayZ I keep pressing alt to swivel my head.  :lol:

• Like 1

I'd start to worry about DayZ if it's still lacking major features along the lines of effective zombie pathfinding, dangerous and populous zombies in general, meaningful construction (how about those underground player-made bunkers that were mentioned ages ago?), and extensive survival mechanics ~6 months from now. For instance, rain should cause weapons to rust, which would in turn give cleaning kits a purpose.  Mechanics to encourage player interaction are also sorely needed. Blood bagging is almost pointless, for instance, and there's no real trading mechanic -- or reason to trade, since most of what other players have is easy enough to acquire on your own, and since killing players doesn't usually ruin everything they have.

With that said, I'm confident enough that most of the game's fundamental objectives are eventually going to be realized, like survival and vehicles and limited construction. However, none of that is going to meaningfully contribute to any sort of meta-game. I mean... Where's the roadmap for awesome sh*t along the lines of AI-operated outposts that identify as factions controlled by player-made clans, or outpost-specific missions or other cool NPC interactions, or enemy A.I. outposts with high-tier stores of loot that encourage player cooperation to access, or anything like that?

Above all, though, the rabid, prolific player killing is the worst aspect of the game -- and it's heavily indicative of the game's overall lack of content and incentive to play sociably as a survivor as opposed to an antisocial player killer. Which is ridiculous, since there's not even much of a reason to kill other players right now, since the ridiculously small handful of items you can actually obtain in-game are easy enough to acquire within the span of a few hours. I realize that'll change as more content is added, but it won't do ANYTHING to ameliorate player killing and the game's overall lack of a potentially awesome meta-game. Without an end-game, this game is going to fade and possibly die within a couple of years.

Between an absolute sandbox and a mixture of sandbox elements and guided NPC interactions, I'd choose the latter any day. 

Edited by Ransurian

I'm not your average DayZ player.
I'm bad at getting gear, or just far less lucky than others here. Probably the former.
I am excited when I open a can before I starve--this is mostly due to by my intense inability to remain focused.
I can't shoot straight under pressure, or even threaten people.
I have little desire to kill players...or work with them. I kind of think of them as very smart, extra scary zombies.
I am killed more often by stairs than players.
Every time I go to NW airfield, I am shot dead.

With that, I love where this game is at. It's a huge blast currently.
A little bit boring is actually great de-motivator. As it gains more features, more stability, and more predictability, it will be overwhelmed with more people out to kill or be killed, looking to build forts, or burn them down. I'm happy for them and I'm sure they support the game more than me. But, I'll have less interest. 

TWIMC

I'm no Developer but I think the Alpha is worth the $30.00. Are there problems sure and that is the case for any dynamic system  that is in development. Hopefully the millions in sales will help to fuel the development. This game you have created is non linear and immersive to the Nth degree. I have had more chair jumpers with this game than the sum total of all the other games I have played combined.

I am sure the end product will put the Alpha to shame. Please take your time guys and keep marching!  

Note: One thing I would like to see is the ability to lock and bar doors so that when the zombies figure out how to march up stairs you might have a chance to bandage up hydrate and energize enough to buck up and fight  your way out of the building. 

Edited by Xbow

If you are ArmA fan and you look for survival experience where you fear death like in any other game it's worth the money 100%.

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet??

No.

they have fooked this game allready the zeds are way to hard take too many fire axe shots to kill and seem to spot you from 1 air field to anouther ,utter crap atm .

devs fix this crap please why change the mele attack function from release if it aint broke dont feckin fix it ..

not worth buying atm unless you enjoy spawn die spawn die ect ect ect ..

GARBAGE!!!!!

they have fooked this game allready the zeds are way to hard take too many fire axe shots to kill and seem to spot you from 1 air field to anouther ,utter crap atm .

devs fix this crap please why change the mele attack function from release if it aint broke dont feckin fix it ..

not worth buying atm unless you enjoy spawn die spawn die ect ect ect ..

GARBAGE!!!!!

I gotta warn you theres a whole alot of trouble ahead of you once you get past the first zombies..

That being said, I enjoy the game already as it is at the moment and have got more fun than my moneys worth.

nope they have well and truly foooooked it up .. zeds are too damn hard you cant seem to break line of sight from the damn things and they take far to many hits from a fire axe dean yer a tit

Edited by roscoo

I'd have to disagree.  As much as I would love for it to be industry standard, it would just not work for twitch shooters.  

Specifically why would it "not work" for twitch shooters??  The feature takes nothing away, and has no impact on the manner in which you manipulate your character unless you decide to use it.  Track IR and Rift are becoming more and more common as well, features like independant head swivel are essential in granting the highest level of immersion with said devices...

I can pretty much guarantee you that once vr becomes a significant player in the projection of visual media, that all FPS (including twich shooters) will be including some level of free look.

• Like 1

Specifically why would it "not work" for twitch shooters??  The feature takes nothing away, and has no impact on the manner in which you manipulate your character unless you decide to use it.  Track IR and Rift are becoming more and more common as well, features like independant head swivel are essential in granting the highest level of immersion with said devices...

I can pretty much guarantee you that once vr becomes a significant player in the projection of visual media, that all FPS (including twich shooters) will be including some level of free look.

Simple, action is too fast paced to be be dealing with head swivel.  Plus why do you need head swivel when you can 360 spin in seconds?  Lol, I could totally see someone playing CoD with track IR on, whiplash in the making.

DayZ Bait and Switch 

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.

Edited by JamesLennoxHood

So it's been a while since my last post :) ...

I stopped at the mod and decided against SA because going through an additional development cycle felt like mod 2.0. I thought I could enjoy DayZ as a polished finished product ....but...Chernarus wanderlust flows in my veins

So...4 questions for an old fart dayz player (becuase it's difficult to sift through the dozens of offical topics and annoucments)

*How far along are we in the development is the game? When is it moving out the current "Alpha" to the next stage?

*When is the next big update coming and what will it bring?

*How is the hacking going?

*In short...is it worth buying SA yet? Do you think the current content (or imminent updates) outweighs alpha frustrations or should i wait a bit more?

Cheers

Edited by Trizzo

So it's been a while since my last post :) ...

I stopped at the mod and decided against SA because going through an additional development cycle felt like mod 2.0. I thought I could enjoy DayZ as a polished finished product ....but...Chernarus wanderlust flows in my veins

So...4 questions for an old fart dayz player (becuase it's difficult to sift through the dozens of offical topics and annoucments)

*How far along are we in the development is the game? When is it moving out the current "Alpha" to the next stage?

*When is the next big update coming and what will it bring?

*How is the hacking going?

*In short...is it worth buying SA yet? Do you think the current content (or imminent updates) outweighs alpha frustrations or should i wait a bit more?

Cheers

To answer your questions

The game has barely progressed at all in the 6 months that it has been out

The next update is about 2 weeks overdue and there is chronic rubberbanding in experimental where they are testing the said update (im starting to think that they have truly broken the game now)

Hackers are rife to the point where there are at least multiple per server, you go to a high traffic area like Berenzino and you will have all of your hard earned gear lost due to cheaters.

This game is a complete waste of money. Do not waste your money on this cash grab give it another 6 months and when the game has progressed next to nothing again realise that you just saved yourself $30.

Edited by JamesLennoxHood
  • Like 1

Is it really that bad? I havent played for almost 3 months now because i got tired of all those "cheats" and exploits players were using. Not to mention i was mod player for a long time before SA , and i love all that hardcore "surviving" , where u need to actually fight for food and water to survive.And this SA was way way too easy to stay alive...other than killed by a hacker or a hopper. 

What has changed in these 3 months towards "surviving" part of the game? 

If someone knows just answer yes yes yes no no no... i really dont have time to search forum.

Campfire? Cooking?Tents? Animals? diseases? Gamma lets u see everything at night? Low graphic settings giving u huge advantage?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Is it really that bad? I havent played for almost 3 months now because i got tired of all those "cheats" and exploits players were using. Not to mention i was mod player for a long time before SA , and i love all that hardcore "surviving" , where u need to actually fight for food and water to survive.And this SA was way way too easy to stay alive...other than killed by a hacker or a hopper. 

What has changed in these 3 months towards "surviving" part of the game? 

If someone knows just answer yes yes yes no no no... i really dont have time to search forum.

Campfire? Cooking?Tents? Animals? diseases? Gamma lets u see everything at night? Low graphic settings giving u huge advantage?

Thank you.

Hacking/glitching is bad in high traffic areas (NEAF, Berezino). Stay away from there and it's not much of an issue.

Surviving is still too easy. You can drink from any water source without getting sick. Food is plentiful. There are currently no diseases or infections. Zombies are faster and tougher in the current patch, but they're getting nerfed next update for some reason.

Nothing has changed as far as graphics settings/gamma are concerned.

The good news is camp fires, cooking, fishing and the inclusion of a few animals to hunt are in experimental, as well as some new weapons and helicopter crash sites. They're early versions and still need some work, but it is the most significant update since the release. If you haven't played for a while it will definitely be worth a look when the devs have ironed out a few bugs and push it to stable.

• Like 1

To be honest, despite my extreme passion to edit DayZ SA to something more unique when (if) it will be possible. I wish that dayz sa will stay in his current state as much as possible! The fact that there aren't vehicles and not many guns is great. When vehicle will be added, half of the map will be building their base and the other will be DMing each other across the map. The devs job is to balance the features in order to make this situation impossible in the future. If they do that dayz will be the greatest game in history (after pacman champion edition).