griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

I can guarantee you that you are wrong.

When I've done the rounds on the Forums I'm off to check yesterdays build.

Your Topic is pretty much vapourware and belongs in the SA Disscussion Topic at best but you are perfectly entitled to voice your opinion.

Merging....

• Like 1

A failed release, then a years wait and the complete absence of any release date are indicative of vapourware.

My concern isn't that the team aren't doing anything, my concern is that they've fallen into the most common trap in software development and expanded the scope of the project to such a degree that they can't realistically ever release it.

There's no other explanation for the YEAR long delay and their point blank REFUSAL to tell us even a 3 month timeframe when we can expect to play the game.

It was not a failed release.. It was meant to be the game version which was planned to be the exact of the mod, which is why they decided to cancel it and instead of which they wanted to take the opportunity to make a new game totally.

Edited by SoulHunter

...And? I don't really see the point in this, other than saying the game won't be released [how many times has that been posted?], the team isn't doing anything [which is obviously incorrect, hence the content within the devblogs], etc.

This. 

He can take as long as he wants, regardless of the December release date that wasn't even totally confirmed.

Well firstly, I'm not saying Rocket and team can't do whatever they want, they can release in 2016 if they like (and just might at this rate).

My concern is that they've obviously fallen into the main trap of software development and bitten off more than they can chew.

Do you remember when SA was just going to be a reworked version of the mod with a different client/server architecture? As I recall, the plan was to do that, to sort out the various issues the mod had with hackers and server load, then iterate upon that with new features.

From what I've seen in the dev blogs they've went all out on new features (most of which aren't finished) and haven't even fixed the basic bugs the mod had.

It's as if they're just sitting there adding one new thing after another, then getting an idea about how that first thing they added should be changed/bug fixed.

I've been doing web development for years, and trust me I know exactly how things like this happen.

Either you start with a well defined plan, do that and release it then add new features or you'll NEVER, EVER release your product.

I'm not even taking aim at rocket and team either, or calling them out, I'm just stating the facts that are self evident from everything I've seen so far.

I'm not even taking aim at rocket and team either, or calling them out, I'm just stating the facts that are self evident from everything I've seen so far.

But for what reason?

Well firstly, I'm not saying Rocket and team can't do whatever they want, they can release in 2016 if they like (and just might at this rate).

My concern is that they've obviously fallen into the main trap of software development and bitten off more than they can chew.

Do you remember when SA was just going to be a reworked version of the mod with a different client/server architecture? As I recall, the plan was to do that, to sort out the various issues the mod had with hackers and server load, then iterate upon that with new features.

From what I've seen in the dev blogs they've went all out on new features (most of which aren't finished) and haven't even fixed the basic bugs the mod had.

It's as if they're just sitting there adding one new thing after another, then getting an idea about how that first thing they added should be changed/bug fixed.

I've been doing web development for years, and trust me I know exactly how things like this happen.

Either you start with a well defined plan, do that and release it then add new features or you'll NEVER, EVER release your product.

No, you said that the project will most likely be canceled/abandoned due to economical reasons that BIS will face based on your extensive experience/knowledge.

As I mentioned before, that is the reason why the first and only release date has been missed. It was not going to be the "DayZ StandAlone" we expect now.

How do you know that? They did show nothing but posts that say "bug fixes again.. all day bug fixes.. together bug fixes.. BUG FIXES" Ah.. sorry. I forgot that you have access to the pre-alpha version of the game.

I mean, it may seem like we're stupid sometimes but we really don't just sit around saying "hurrr durr letz maek a vidao gaem!"

You said something and now you are saying different things about the possible future of this game.. Are you sure that you know what you think you are sure you know?

Dang it.. You got it buddy.. We seem to have failed to hide that.. This game will never be released.. You can go and play another game in peace now.

No. You are not the one who has seen enough to make such assumptions that dont even have a base. One of those who have seen enough was here and commented on your subject saying;

We have plenty of input from behind the scenes to ensure that there ARE things at work and to assure us that it will eventually be ready, even if it is getting to be a rather tedious wait.

Edited by SoulHunter

So as we all know dayz is not optimized at all. I'm talking about the mod its self. No in regular arma I can play in very high settings no problem,but once I get on dayz it's down with normal settings lagging in cities. Will SA be optimized to where you have to change your settings every time you go somewhere? 

Play on DayZero it is much more optimised than Vanilla and most of the other mods out there.

• Like 1

So as we all know dayz is not optimized at all. I'm talking about the mod its self. No in regular arma I can play in very high settings no problem,but once I get on dayz it's down with normal settings lagging in cities. Will SA be optimized to where you have to change your settings every time you go somewhere? 

Optimisation will be an important part of the SA and it's been discussed a lot.  Some of the core engine changes already address some of the issues that many of the mods have, people get sick of hearing about server/client architecture etc but all of that is to improve performance and security which is why they've spent so long trying to get it right.  It's hard for them to show progress of actual core engine changes and even harder to explain it in a way that we would understand.  I guess the proof of the pudding will be when it's all up and running.

"True" optimisation takes place later on in development when most of the main parts are in place though.  That's when they can really refine the performance and it can only really be done once they've got the data they need from the alpha testing and much of the actual game mechanics are in place.  

Don't expect the initial release to be a smooth ride.  Arma 3 is a fairly good example I think although technically a very different game.  During the early alpha it was almost unplayable for some but they've been optimising it and pushing out patches throughout the whole process and it's a world away from Arma 2.  BIS are a very different company now to when they first released Arma2, that was a long time ago now and it looks to me like they've learned from their mistakes.

• Like 1

A failed release, then a years wait and the complete absence of any release date are indicative of vapourware.

My concern isn't that the team aren't doing anything, my concern is that they've fallen into the most common trap in software development and expanded the scope of the project to such a degree that they can't realistically ever release it.

There's no other explanation for the YEAR long delay and their point blank REFUSAL to tell us even a 3 month timeframe when we can expect to play the game.

You do have a point there: They have certainly fallen into the dev trap of over extending the scope of the game. They can't give time estimates because they get totally bashed if they miss the target , people freak out.

The game is woefully underfunded and development progress is hampered by the lead dev's need to clean his apartment. This is a Jean-Luc Picard sized faceplam, as the game can and will make many millions. Will most likely outsell arma 3 yet the dev team is very very small, I'm thinking like 3 people.  This makes no sense to me.  It doesn't seem to be run as business but rather an enthusiastic side hobby. 

My main problem is that you'd think they'd at least give a release window, even if it was a 3 month window. 

"We'll be releasing the game sometime between august and october, we're ironing out critical bugs just now". 

The fact they haven't even done that suggests to me, we're at minimum 6 months out from an alpha release - if not more.

Now, Rocket and team have no obligation to tell us when the game will be released at all. (since people always like to chime in that it's their game, they don't owe is anything etc)

But these are facts, as our current situation with the lack of forthcoming information all but proves.

Sure, rocket may give updates on what they're doing, but 'release date' is almost like a dirty word that you're chastised for even mentioning.

It's tricky tbh.

I think the one true mistake they've ever made was to give a release date, now it may be the opposite.  I guess they have one, even a rough one internally but making it public could potentially create more problems for them than it solves.

Sure, the fact that we don't currently have one leads to a lot of frustration, claims of being disorganised unproffesional etc but it'd be a hell of a lot worse if they released even a vague window and then missed it.

Maybe they genuinely don't know themselves at this point, in which case it'd be pretty hard to give one.

Edited by Fraggle

is true or no in SA is no system for skin and humanity?

so is no more simple way for guy to say I am for sure bandit or hero look my skin :|

so what happen now? how we make define what is bandit or hero? :huh:

maybe we forget this system and realise is infinity way for play this game :)

is not just simple thing like he make bloodbag is good guy, maybe give blood to murderer is not same like give blood for good guys

or say he kill player so is bad guy, some kill is for defend, some is murder, some is accident etc

if this forum don't exist and SA is new game from scratch do we make some system like this or not?

what you think?

Currently there is no humanity system in the standalone, it hasn't been ruled out though. I don't think there will be skins, but something more subtle could work nicely.

• Like 1

Ever since the hack on the forums, when I select notifications and click on the top-most link to a thread, it takes me to the first page of that thread as opposed to taking me where I last left off or where the comment left off?  idk if it's just me or anyone else notice that?

Sorry, that was kind of off-topic.

On topic, I liked the humanity system and sucks that it has been ruled out.  However, I hope they have some way of being able to distinguish between "heroes" and "bandits" beside remembering a player's outfit, doing it this way could be too late :(

Edited by twinturbonet

First off THIS IS MY OPINION. THANKS,

First off the basic functionality isn't in dayZ yet, its mostly team death match and its understandable for when a player can walk across the map they think "what else is there to do than be a bandit" you see. The basic functionality isn't there, theres no survival aspect yet and that's what rocket is adding to add the basic functionality. And all the twats on reddit spamming that dayZ is a scam now, the irony being that a scam is someone or something stealing your money and giving you something less than described. You have not payed anything yet so there. Lastely dayZ being pushed back is a very positive thing to me. Wild you rather play a realy buggy game that is no fun? I think not. -kevsta545

Somebody watch Frankie's video then?

• Like 1

Can someone confirms this.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, DayZ will be playable at gamescom multiplayer with 14 machines.

Somebody watch Frankie's video then?

Me! ME! I do. Frankie is great

I shouldn't have said that.

Probably?It would be a lot easier if you posted your system's specs (I mean its pretty hard when its this damn vague)

Edited by RekliSnipez

Stick to minecraft if you asked that.

So i know it is early dayz, but which weapon do you guys think should be developed next?

I personally would love to see the attachments for the CZ 550 or M24.

Which gun would you like to see next?