griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Let's put my country, Spain, for example. Here, fire weapons are ilegal. However, you can still get a license for them if you demonstrate you need it for your personal safe (in which case only a judge can give you the license or not, and only for self defense guns -aka pistols-). Or for hunting/shooting sports, in which case you're limited to hunting rifles or pistols .22.

However, the army has lots of weapons (G36 assault rifle & USP HK pistols), same for the police -every cop has 2, for service and personal use- (and we have 4 different polices here xD). Also there's specialized stores for hunters or sport shooters, with dozens even hundreds of weapons on display. We also have our small percentage of weapons illegal traffic.

And now pay attention to this fact, Spain is the 7th country in the world on weapons exports.

So, maybe there are not that much weapons for civilian sales, much less military weapons, but for sure there's out there lots of warehouses or fabrics with literally thousands of weapons. Plus all the military HQ and police stations.

Now I ask you, even for an european country with weapons ilegal, and where the vast majority of civilians doesn't have fire arms, do you still think getting a weapon in case of a zombie outbreak wouldn't be the first fucking thing I would do? (and probably achieve easily?).

I don't think weapons should be as rare as winning the lottery, I think they should be controlled in absolute numbers. This means, if there are high powered sniper rifles like the M107 in the SA, they shouldn't have a 0.01% chance to spawn, but to be limited to for example 5 units in a server. As long as all the units aren't picked up, more M107 will keep spawning with a moderate chance of 10% if you visit a military HQ or Heli Crash, but when the 5 units are "on use" (aka ACTIVE players have it), then they stop spawning (chance 0%). So there you have the weapon rarity in the game.

Melee weapons should be extremely common.  Every player should have some form of melee weapon whether it be a machete, a baseball bat, a hatchet, etc.  There are countless things you could use in real life as melee weapons so SA should have melee weapons in most places.

Pistols should be the most common fire arm.  Not too common that you find them everywhere, but common enough that most players you encounter will have one.  Some ammo should be available but not more than a mag or two if even that much.  Hopefully the pistols will actually be powerful too.  They are far too weak in the mod.

Basic rifles like hunting rifles and shot guns like double barrol should be sorta rare.  Maybe 1 out of ever 3 players has one.  Ammo should be about equivalent to pistols.  Maybe a mag or two at mag for guns like the mosin and several pellets for shot guns.

Military weapons rarity should vary on the weapon itself.  For instance an AK 74 would be more common than a machine gun like the M60.  Ammo for them should vary too.  Maybe you find a few bullets laying around for them or you find a weapons cache in an abandoned police station that is chock full of ammo and mags.

For the ammo, I would like to keep it real. Magazines and bullets should be separate entities, and if I find an AK 47 with one magazine, and I find a 200 bullets magazine of an m249, I could keep refilling the AK mag with the m249 mag, as they use the same caliber 7.62.

M249 is 5.56, M240 is 7.62 (but I'm just being picky)

For the ammo, I would like to keep it real. Magazines and bullets should be separate entities, and if I find an AK 47 with one magazine, and I find a 200 bullets magazine of an m249, I could keep refilling the AK mag with the m249 mag, as they use the same caliber 7.62.

Unless I'm mistaken that's already confirmed for the SA.  Rounds and magazines will be separate objects/entities allowing you to swap rounds between different magazines for different guns.

Edited by Fraggle

I don't think weapons should be as rare as winning the lottery, I think they should be controlled in absolute numbers. This means, if there are high powered sniper rifles like the M107 in the SA, they shouldn't have a 0.01% chance to spawn, but to be limited to for example 5 units in a server. As long as all the units aren't picked up, more M107 will keep spawning with a moderate chance of 10% if you visit a military HQ or Heli Crash, but when the 5 units are "on use" (aka ACTIVE players have it), then they stop spawning (chance 0%). So there you have the weapon rarity in the game.

in an interview Rocket confirmed something of the sort, but it was more of a global thing. Like there would be 1 thermal sighted weapon on the entire main hive. Having only 1 of an item is kind of silly, but this would be the best way to control the high end and ultra high end weapons. If there were 500 as50s and 2,000 dmrs for a million players the game would be more of a poor man's apocalypse.

• Like 1

Rocket has said there wont be a humanity system at least to start with, they want to see how things play out first.

Can't remember where i saw this but i'll have a look for it.

edit: this is not the original comment i was thinking of but in this thread Rocket says they want to implement a more subtle system sometime after alpha release.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/137326-hero-bandit-system-gone-in-sa/?hl=%2Bhumanity+%2Brocket#entry1342549

Ive heard this myself, i was more wondering about hero skin...

Its not really an aim for me to stay a survivor, if i cant play as a hero id rather be a bandit.

• Like 1

Ive heard this myself, i was more wondering about hero skin...

Its not really an aim for me to stay a survivor, if i cant play as a hero id rather be a bandit.

You don't need a hero skin to play as a hero.

Seems like you're a bandit at heart with a conflicting fashion sense :P

• Like 3

Every time I see a new dev blog or footage of the game running at an event, the frame rate still sucks. I thought the two main goals were to sort out hacking and frame rate... yet it seems worse than ever and I really doubt they'd be showing the game off on crap rigs. There is no excuse for it either, they blame the A.I but whenever I turn the A.I off it's still really bad and I just don't get why, the game isn't exactly cutting edge graphically and there isn't a lot going on in the world. The whole world isn't rendered at once, so....... what is the major impact on frame rate?

It seems to me that every game that goes CPU heavy really struggles, I have a 4770K and my framerate still sucks in Dayz, in fact I've noticed no difference coming from a first gen I7. Yet games that have gone GPU focused like BF3 and Crysis 3 just run amazing for how they look, they push the boundaries and BF3 has far more going on in the vast maps it has with 64 players on screen at once with destruction and vehicles everywhere.

Like if you cannot make a good engine that runs well, why not just buy one? It isn't like you cannot get other engines to do what you want. They can all do vast open worlds now with realistic bullet physics and vehicles etc etc. 

The more I see the Dayz SA footage, the more disappointed I am and with ARMA 3 running like crap as well, I just don't where these empty promises of improved frame rates are going. Just looking at the "live" gameplay you did of ARMA 3 recently, all I noticed is your framerate is about 20... looked horrible. On my PC the game runs horrible too, have to start turning things down for like an increase of just 5 FPS. 

I have a 4770k 16gb ram, installed to an SSD and I've just bought a 780 to replace my 670SLI and nope...... frame rate still sucks on both ARMA 3 and Dayz.

• Like 1

Every time I see a new dev blog or footage of the game running at an event, the frame rate still sucks.

maybe is because framerate of your shitty pc is 10fps? :P

• Like 1

Game/engine optimisation comes later on in the development process.

• Like 2

PRE-ALPHA

The points he made are pretty much legit. He also seems to be aware of the game being in pre-alpha (could be seen as he elaborates the stages of development in the first place). Why making pointless points that make no point but could only upset people and turn the thread into a flame-war?

Lets just keep kewl and on-topic. If you want a flame-war, use PMs ploz.

I am pretty sure that the pc he got could rape yours just fine..

Edited by SoulHunter

How in gods name are you getting bad framerates with that kind of rig? I only have an i5-2500k and a gtx560ti and get more than adequate framerates (on both arma 2 AND 3, in fact 3 runs better for me).... or are you bitching because you don't have 120 fps?

Edited by SaveMeJebus

How in gods name are you getting bad framerates with that kind of rig? I only have an i5-2500k and a gtx560ti and get more than adequate framerates (on both arma 2 AND 3, in fact 3 runs better for me).... or are you bitching because you don't have 120 fps?

It looks kinda weird to me as well.. But Dean also said that he sees funny Frame Rates with his super-duper pc as well but nice FPS with his older laptop. So yeh, as Dean also said that there is a problem with the optimization of the game, which he said he would have to check to see what the problem is.

It is not like ArmA II being an unoptimized game is being heard in the first time.. It is a well known stuff whatsoever.

• Like 1

i hate you so much

• Like 1

It looks kinda weird to me as well.. But Dean also said that he sees funny Frame Rates with his super-duper pc as well but nice FPS with his older laptop. So yeh, as Dean also said that there is a problem with the optimization of the game, which he said he would have to check to see what the problem is.

It is not like ArmA II being an unoptimized game is being heard in the first time.. It is a well known stuff whatsoever.

Arma 2 is commonly accepted as a badly optimised game, even by it's hardore fans and the developers themselves.  If you then modify that game and add tons more too it (zeds, loot etc.) the result is always going to be messy.

In my experience Arma 3 runs way better.  My rig is old now and I average around 40fps on high settings.  I know some peeps wouldn't be happy with that but considering my poor specs I was surprised i could even play it at all.   Considering how much more is going on graphically in Arma 3 I was genuinely impressed with it and they're still optimising now before the full release.  There's no avoiding the fact though that it will always be an intensive game.

I have to take one issue with the OP's original post though.  Firstly, not every engine can run a massive open world game with accurate bullet physics, especially in a multiplayer setting.  I'm not saying the RV engine is the best in the world, of course it isn't but saying they should just "buy one" is naive.  That can cost millions.  The fact that BIS have developed their own in-house engine that's as impressive as it is (and gets used buy various militaries around the world for training purposes because of it's capabilities) is something that any PC gamer with a little knowledge of game engines should be impressed by.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

You must have not used start parameters/optimized.

I have 3770k, 120ssd, 16gb ram and 780 sc acx.

On high settings, full shadows and atoc (but no AA or PP) dayz is perfectly playable, I have seen 205fps from it (this was whilst in a huey). Cherno and elektro still drop it to 40-50 and even skynet couldn't handle Sabina

Arma 3 and the Standalone have significantly better FPS for me compared to Arma 2.

As has been stated, the SA hasn't even been optimised yet.

If I am not wrong, there is or will be arma 3 dayz ( but not from Dean ) , SA uses arma 3 engine ( right ? )  , so ..... what to choose and why ?

• Like 1

If I am not wrong, there is or will be arma 3 dayz ( but not from Dean ) , SA uses arma 3 engine ( right ? )  , so ..... what to choose and why ?

Thought they were using 'Arma 2.5'?

• Like 1

Thought they were using 'Arma 2.5'?

It's hard to define.  They used the TOH engine as a base but are making/have made sweeping changes to it.  TOH uses the RV3 engine as does Arma 2, it's just a newer version of it. 

Most "new" engines in games are just different branches or iterations of a pre-exsisting one.  You could say Arma 3 used the Arma 2 engine as a base and so on, so really it's just the "DayZ" branch of the RV engine now, the number is irrelevant.  It's very rare to see a truly new engine being used in any game at all.

To use two common examples, Call of Duty has been using the same engine (IW) as base for all of it's games since 2005 and GTA has been using the RAGE engine since 2008 (or before if you include a little known table-tennis game) and that engine itself evolved from the "Angel Game Engine".

People that are getting hung up on numbers/versions etc and think the SA is using the Arma 2 (or the TOH) engine don't understand much about gaming engines in my opinion.  Using their logic you could say that Arma 3 is using the original OFP (RV1) engine from 2001 where as those of us with eyes can clearly see that's not the case.

There are just different versions of the RV engine for different purposes, including the ones the militaries use for training purposes.  Those versions of it are referred to as the VBS (Virtual Battlespace) engine and cater to the needs of the militaries that use them but essentially they all come from the same place.  

So really names and numbers are only really useful to describe the core engine at a very specific point in time.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Call of Duty's using the id Tech 3 engine from Quake 3. Pretty much all modern FPS games (Counter-Strike, Battlefield etc. ec.) are built on derivatives of it, lol. I don't see why people get so hung up on 'new' engines, I think a lot of them think engine =/= graphics.

• Like 1

Call of Duty's using the id Tech 3 engine from Quake 3. Pretty much all modern FPS games (Counter-Strike, Battlefield etc. ec.) are built on derivatives of it, lol. I don't see why people get so hung up on 'new' engines, I think a lot of them think engine =/= graphics.

Exactly, and it could probably be traced back further than that.