griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Hello there

Rocket told me its all about the cash and he adores "lying" to the public.

What we all need to be is rational.

I know thats difficult here on the net. But we can do it.

The Alpha will appear when its ready to roll out.

Not to hit any steam based marketing deals, just when it's stable and to a degree of completeness that the dev team is happy with.

One may have to wait a while, but then again of one has moved on and doesn't want to buy it, then fine.

Its a niche game for a niche audience. It just happens that that audience is quite large.

There are no lies or conspiracy nor is there incompetence.

patience is key.

Ok... whoever said Standalone is conspiracy is an idiot... might as well say its made by ancient aliens... it has as much sense.

Incompetence? Certainly not... they shown that already....

But patience is not the key... the key is actually the opposite... it's the pressure and impatience...

Pressure keeps you on your toes... setting dates keeps you in check. Not meeting deadlines creates some disappointments but makes you understand better the amount of work that you have, which will help you to set realistic date.

In my mind... you simply must have a deadline. Any kind of professional... anywhere... in any line of work... has a deadline

Otherwise... you can just take a two month vacation in the middle of the project and all the hype, and say ... fuck it... I didn't set the date for it anyways... I can use some R&R.

If it was me... I would hold on long vacations for after the release. I would set a new date... get much more in touch with the community, and got that alpha out with these zombies as they are...

I know rocket is hell bent to get those zombies spawn on start of the server... but Arma 2 engine is very bad when it comes to realistic physics...... I would ask myself are that zombies worth postponing the game for years.

Zombies are not even in top 5 most important things that Dayz has. They set the theme of the game but they look totally buggy, choppy, pretty bad actually... they have no real effect on you like grabbing, you can't push them or affect them, when they are attacking they look like they are doing spaz dancing and you are loosing health in the process. And with all that we managed to get crazy about the game.

It would be nice to have zombies act like they would in GTA... but Arma 2 is not engine for that. 

They should of focused on Dayz strong points and improving general gameplay...

Realism and simulation of survival....  to improve cooperative and competative play... to put new ideas on the table... and real new gameplay mechanics

You got to give players something to do other than looking for a new gun... maybe developing industry of dayz... to allow players to make anything... even custom cars.

Planting vegetables for food. Claiming the house ... boarding it up and calling it your own... just something new.

If rocket thinks that people are not gonna go around shooting each other KOS style... he is wrong... its vanilla dayz... its already been tested out. What will you do once you get bored of zombies... SA is all about collecting guns and attachments... I mean for a survival game there is not that much survival elements... 

SA is all about collecting guns and attachments... I mean for a survival game there is not that much survival elements... 

No.  See what you've done there is looked at one thing that the devs chose to focus on in a devblog and assumed that's what the entire SA is all about.  The actual survival element will be the core of the SA.  You will be pleasantly surprised if all you're expecting is some new guns with attachments.

Please remember that in these demonstrations, they are not showing you the whole game each time.  They usually focus on one thing to show what they're currently working on.

Edited by Fraggle

Will there be better server browsing? Such as separating official servers away from player hosted servers?

I honestly don't like the idea of players hosting servers on the Standalone. It just ruins the experience slightly if they're able to customize the gameplay features such as; don't take these examples seriously as they are just examples "Start off with M4, all tools, vehicles 100%".

"we will be funding launch servers so people have the opportunity to try the game before they decide if they want to commit to migrating to the standalone - as the initial state will probably not suit all clans/communities/etc...

These will be geographically dispersed, and will run until we feel the community has started to take over the hosting.

The server files will be released to all upon launch. It is much easier to setup a dayz SA server. However, we are no longer using gamespy - which means you must setup firewall and NAT negotiation manually for the server (a trivial step for those who actually use servers)."

-Rocket

Edited by TIC321

is good idea make possible some gear taking damage from bullets :beans:

there should be system for calculate if bullet hit gear or player :thumbsup:

example if I shoot guy in the face why dmr is fucked? :huh:

Well they could make it so that it detects if it hit the T-Shirt, the jeans, backpack, etc.

So that it only damages what it hits.

And maybe don't damage ALL items with 1 bullet, maybe make it a 30% chance for every item.

Edited by Hosty
  • Like 1

Yep, and how am I suposed to take you seriously when you haven't figured out yet after over a year of nothing but promises thats it's probably never coming out.

Yes of course this is the likely scenario - a big game company like BIS that have been going for well over a decade decides to waste everybody's time by pretending to make a game. They have tried this several times before, in fact, where they pretended to make a game but fucked it completely up and actually made the game!!!! Examples of such fuck ups are "Operation Flash Point", "Take on Helicopters", "Bad Girls like it big!" and "Armed Assault"

Marek was pissed! "How could you fuck this up so bad!???" He yelled at his developers, "I knew I should have just employed pretend developers and just made sock puppets like Sergey Titov did!"

Marek is really, really annoyed at the sales they made too and in a recent press conference admitted that he's "done pretending to make games and is actually going to try and make some real ones instead."

:P

• Like 1

Congratulations, you just went full retard :beans:

you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retar

Are we getting a devblog this month? Or is the #DayZDaily/Reddit the new way of getting info? Or should we just check out Gamescom and PAX for info?

I'm curious.

We have alrady huge amount of videos etc from the gamescom so I don't expect much until the end of the month maybe.

As I see it at the moment, shotguns are almost never chosen over any other primary weapons. If given a choice, from my experience, almost every player would choose the rifle. Why? Because players are a much larger threat than infected are. And having a disvantage in long distance engagements can mean death.

My point is, when infected are more of a threat, will we see more geared players toting a pump shotgun with a flashlight attached or an automatic shotgun rather than an ak or M-series rifle?

High thought. Your thoughts?

I quite often rock a Benelli. Depending on the mood.

Usually keeping pellets loaded means I can control zeds in a pinch and attempted peek-a-boo KOSers get their legs broken.

With slugs, considering most engagements tend to be at less than 300m there's no noticeable disadvantage in "range" against an AK, for example, just rate of fire.

It actually seems to me that I gain an advantage, since most players seem to think a scope makes your weapon generally more effective, not realising that they're obstructing their own view.

The attachment system will mean the pump + torch combo is no longer unique.

Really, it's not a case of what's better or worse. Just what's suitable for the job at hand.

Personally, for SA, I'd like to see it get to the point where players are thankful that they even have a gun at all.  :D

• Like 4

I agree. I'd hope that firing a weapon in SA is somewhat of a last resort because ammo and guns are quite rare.

I must say, I don't take a shotty over an Assault Rifle any day, but In some Situations a Remington 870 can mean sudden death to the receiving end 

Its more of a put em down gun

and when I say that I mean, you shoot em and they are knocked out in most cases.

I use a shotgun for hunting rabbits in the mod currently.  'The Bitch' screams a bit too loud for it to be useful (to me) for anti zombie purposes.  Kinda like using a Lee, gonna run out of shells before I run out of bodies.  I try to avoid PVP but might start using shotguns more.

Well, why do shotguns suck in the mod?

Answer: because they have not even a slight advantage over rifles, even when at close range.

More powerful = rifle.

More accurate = rifle.

More ammo = rifle.

More range = rifle.

Faster rate of fire = rifle

12 gauge slugs doing only 4500 damage? What is that? And pellets are weak as! Not to mention most of them don't even hit since the pattern is extremely large. People shouldn't easily survive two point-blank shotgun blasts. And why does the Benelli take a full 1/2 second to chamber a new round?

IMO slugs should do significantly more damage than FMJ rifle bullets. And rates of fire should be sped up. And pellet damage should also be increased along with all handgun rounds. It only takes one pellet in the right spot...

Shotguns must have at least some advantages before people will like them.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 4

shotguns are a good starter and the flashlight version is a piece of cake when you are at night time..some bandits seems to have issues understanding a flashlight that fires bullets..

intown i prefere pellets, and it's a military grade weapon easy to refill in ammo, combining all those you find in barns..

and i had one in my backpack for light gear looting when i had a camp, so i think i'm over average in shotgun use.

^ i think i clicked reply on a wrong thread :-P

Edited by Bludy

9 months telling my friends that the game comes out next month, is enough, more than 12 months saying this to my friends, it will be a humiliation for me as a fan.

You have 3 months to start working hard. stop going to fairs to present an unfinished product, you pass you more time talking about the game working on. Rocket always say you do not like the hype, but only promise and promise, begins to work, and do not leave until you have turned the alpha on the street.

Submit a game that, as soon will be out in full vesion in 2014 with direct x 9 is another insult to the community, so working right now in the migration to direct x 11, this is not an xbox port is a game developed for pc.

We all want you to program the best game in the world, and we believe you can meet it, but not acting as one would expect, a leader must be on the battlefield, not in the pressroom. returns to the office and do not come from there.

Hire a head of press and communications as all normal companies.

This I say with all my heart.

Edited by sycopata

12 months? 9 months? Which is it? If you can't keep track, how can you be so sure? Maybe you've only told them once or twice in the last week? Why are we here? Take me to your leader? Is purple the most amazing colour or what?

For srs tho:

Perhaps you should consider telling your friends facts rather than stuff you make up. Might solve your issue.

Also, three months eh? Then what? You're gonna finish it off 'cos that'll show Rocket, right?

Don't make me laugh. Stop bullshitting your friends and wait until it's done, like the rest of us.

Edited by Diddums

I must say, I don't take a shotty over an Assault Rifle any day, but In some Situations a Remington 870 can mean sudden death to the receiving end 

Its more of a put em down gun

and when I say that I mean, you shoot em and they are knocked out in most cases.

I'm not really a fan of the shotties in ArmA, I'd take the Winnie over a traditional shotgun any day.

• Like 1

I would be the happiest man on earth if... they at least say it'll be fixed in (a week or two weeks, a month, etc.) No random stuff. I know its really hard, its just, my heart has this heavy bearing, and I'm just waiting for it to go away and DayZ to come in!

I would be the happiest man on earth if... they at least say it'll be fixed in (a week or two weeks, a month, etc.) No random stuff. I know its really hard, its just, my heart has this heavy bearing, and I'm just waiting for it to go away and DayZ to come in!

Progress is good, lighten your heart.

"The network bubble is actually no big deal, as it turns out. The hard part of it is actually removing/refactoring existing code around the AIBrain, which is interlinked with all sorts of weird things relating to network updates."

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Wouldn't it be nice to have it on Halloween night? What a treat that would be. Predict when you think the Standlone will be released.