griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

is good idea make possible some gear taking damage from bullets :beans:

there should be system for calculate if bullet hit gear or player :thumbsup:

example if I shoot guy in the face why dmr is fucked? :huh:

Good idea. Also, can another player shoot my gun to disarm me? If they can I'd like to know if I could fix it while under fire or would it be useless. Maybe if they shot my backpack I would lose some of what's in there... lots of possibilities here.

Damage to the weapon in your hands or backpack would definitely make life interesting.

I think the way it works is if he's wearing night-vision goggles and you shoot him in the face, they'll be completely broken.

If he's carrying a GPS in his bag and you shoot the bag, there's a chance it will be destroyed.

etc.

• Like 2

Hopefully enough to make bandits not want to shoot on sight.

Or maybe people will just start to aim for areas that don't damage gear.

Edited by Plexico

I think the way it works is if he's wearing night-vision goggles and you shoot him in the face, they'll be completely broken.

If he's carrying a GPS in his bag and you shoot the bag, there's a chance it will be destroyed.

etc.

Just what the doctor ordered.

I don't think the system can be too specific without programming complications happening with the engine (just a guess). So what we'll probably get is:

Bullet hits weapon - weapon is rendered useless or nearly inoperable

Bullet hits backpack - anything in backpack has a chance of being damaged or completely destroyed

Bullet hits anywhere else - any items being carried in anything besides the backpack has a chance of being damaged or completely destroyed

But if that's too much...

Bullet hits anywhere - anything being carried at all has a chance of being damaged or completely destroyed

well... to quote Rocket " It will take a while"... a month of  "take a while" is a very good release date... very relaxed one.

I must admit I am not a fan of Rockets laid back attitude when it comes to promises. To sound so confident and sure about himself when he talked about new years dead line, than extending it to "when its done" deadline ..... ok ...fine... you broke the promise... you gave a good excuse. 
But now... again saying couple of weeks, hyping everyone about the release... and than all of the sudden we are back to "when its done" and "it may take a while".... and to do it so casually... almost like"well what did you expect, a release?... hah the jokes on you!" 

This is a quote from Standalone facebook page talking about Rocket:
"Interestingly, he doesn’t seem too worried if people drop their interest in the game due to the delays. In fact, he seems fairly satisfied with that possibility."
Seriously?
He said he doesn't care about dayz loosing momentum. That is just stupid and cocky... how can you not care? 

First of all Standalone is loosing momentum... not Dayz. MOD is alive and well... developing fast.
Arma3 is just about to release. Dayz mods are gonna switch to Arma 3. Dayz Origins, DayZero, Overwatch, Epoch, Aftermath... maps... Namalsk, Taviana, Takistan, Podagorsk, Stratis, Altis. Base building, crafting, new weapons, vehicles, attachments and all the awesome new stuff like ragdoll physics, graphics and animations that Arma3 is providing.

And Rocket... he is stuck on zombies... and mentioning that you won't have vehicles or mod support in first version. He is convinced that Standalone is some hardcore game. 
Well I got news for you... it's not... right now, Standalone is just a promise... and one that has been broken twice... so i would hold back on the cockyness, and be a little humble for change. 

He is saying that they are busy but he is unwilling to show that they are busy with video blogs. Giving some really bad excuse.... 
They are so busy that by the time they would finish the video it would be so outdated that it would be misrepresentation of the game.... jesus... what a lame excuse... 
I sure wouldn't claim that I am busy and than took a two-month climb to Mount Everest... I am sure its a great experience.... but that just doesn't sound busy.

That is not looking good in my mind... If I was Rocket... I would be very worried about giving false promises... and about the future of Standalone.

Edited by RonhillUltra
  • Like 2

Look, I agree with you. The wait is getting rather silly for a game that was hoping for a release soon. And there isn't that much recent info being released.

But we all know this. We do not need a thread going over the same points each week. We already know. There is nothing new to be found in a repeated thread.

• Like 3

Two questions for ya: 

1. Does Rocket owe us anything?

2. Why did you take your time and write something like this which is basically a complaint that was done a billion times?

Two questions for ya: 

1. Does Rocket owe us anything?

2. Why did you take your time and write something like this which is basically a complaint that was done a billion times?

Attention.

My Dear Feiglein, attention.

Edited by Wolfensteinsaurus
  • Like 1

i gotta admit rocket should be a little more clear about when the standalone is released as ALL official projects must have a deadline.

it is like a contract that you have to finish sooner or later, but it is set for a precise time period.

nonetheless, let them work, we have to wait and deal with their attitude.

then again, maybe they are truthful about not knowing when exactly dayz standalone will be able to go live...

The Standalone is not a contract, and is being made by a small team compared to what Blizzard/Dice/Ubisoft etc. have.

They have HUNDREDS, Standalone has a 20-30. And that is not even alot. And guess how much they spent making the game.

9 Months. Exactly.  Tell me a game that was made in 9 months (release and not alpha) by 20-30 people.

Rocket is having a hard time just because of all you jerks that can't wait for the game silently but just go online and spam the forums, I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

• Like 7

I'd say Rocket does want the hype to die down, it's generally hard to live up to hype and he doesn't want this turning into a That 'game' which shall not be named Situation.  Yes, the game will probably 'suck' when alpha first comes out, I plan on buying it at that stage so I can be a part of making it 'not suck'.  Imagine if SA was actually ready for an alpha release at the height of the hype.  Millions would buy it, thinking it's a complete game, get frustrated and scream 'this sucks' at the top of their internet lungs and leave/demand their money back, leaving just the dedicated and those with foresight.

Also remember that people hear what they want to hear.  "We have no release date as of today." becomes "ROCKETS GONNA RELEASE TODAY!!!!11111oneoneuno"

• Like 1

There hasn't been a release date set since the 'before the end of 2012' one, people read too much into everything Rocket says and false release dates end up being speculated on by the community and everyone gets disappointed when they aren't met. The reason they failed miserably to meet the original deadline was because they decided to rebuild the game from the ground up instead of releasing a more polished version of the mod. Perfectly fine with me, a better end product can only be a good thing, right?

It's a shame that there will be no vehicles on release, but again that's because they're being redone and will hopefully be awesome when they do make it in to the game. To be honest I'm glad there will be no private hive and mod support, playing vanilla DayZ again will be really refreshing to me.

It's probably easier for me to not get worked up about it because I have the game and can physically see the progress that the devs are making, but trust me everything is looking epic and will be well worth the wait. I'm really glad that they decided to rework the game at a base level and didn't release in 2012. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that it takes Infinity Ward and Treyarch two years with a massive dev team to make the same game over and over again. BiS are only a small indie dev team and the DayZ dev team is even smaller.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 10

There hasn't been a release date set since the 'before the end of 2012' one, people read too much into everything Rocket says.

Thank you.

Somebody said what I've been thinking for months.

• Like 2

It's probably easier for me to not get worked up about it because I have the game and can physically see the progress that the devs are making, but trust me everything is looking epic and will be well worth the wait. I'm really glad that they decided to rework in the game at a base level and didn't release in 2012. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that it takes Infinity Ward and Treyarch two years with a massive dev team to make the same game over and over again. BiS are only a small indie dev team and the DayZ dev team is even smaller.

This is the things, mods can't really say anything in these threads as they have the game, we don't.

When you talk about Rocket being misquoted: he does so many interviews and in every one his answers vary to the same questions.

I really do hope that vehicles are awesome...maybe we can even drive them on docks!!!

As for BIS...whilst they've been extending the release date indefinitely they're also pumping out Arma3 and Take on Mars. Not enough manpower on the project in my opinion.

There hasn't been a release date set since the 'before the end of 2012' one, people read too much into everything Rocket says and false release dates end up being speculated on by the community and everyone gets disappointed when they aren't met. The reason they failed miserably to meet the original deadline was because they decided to rebuild the game from the ground up instead of releasing a more polished version of the mod. Perfectly fine with me, a better end product can only be a good thing, right?

It's a shame that there will be no vehicles on release, but again that's because they're being redone and will hopefully be awesome when they do make it in to the game. To be honest I'm glad there will be no private hive and mod support, playing vanilla DayZ again will be really refreshing to me.

It's probably easier for me to not get worked up about it because I have the game and can physically see the progress that the devs are making, but trust me everything is looking epic and will be well worth the wait. I'm really glad that they decided to rework in the game at a base level and didn't release in 2012. :thumbsup:

Well to be honest... my "problem" with what Dean Hall said or did comes from:

The first time I played Dayz (since I played EVE-Online) I was really excited about the game... I felt so much freedom in gameplay, got me scared for my life and a such a breath of fresh air in a sea of Call of Duties.

Totaly struck a cord with me. And the best was the posibilites of the MOD due to Bohemias awesome mod support.

Right than and there i knew i wanted to do my own stuff for Dayz... and I did that... at the moment I am working on Post Office for  DayZero http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Grima/Postoffice02_zps42aaf7f4.jpg

So I am really excited about the whole Dayz "thing" ... and leaving my mark on it... at least somehow

I know how shit works in arma 2 engine and I know they took a monumental task with the zombies and loot spawns all spawnig at once. Not really sure how well that will work at all... good luck with it... I will be impressed.

New Chernarus looks really good. It has such a good natural update with Dayz in mind. Who ever did modeling and design really knows what he is doing. I was impressed. And I know architecture , modeling, texturing and photoshop.

I don't mind the delays, I dont mind 20-30$, I understand the development problems... and the millions of ways that shit can go wrong that you didn't count on.

I just expected rocket to be a little more passionate and to share a lot more with the community...  

Just take a look at what the community did for DayZ... how much people that are excited about the game can actually do...

Its not about the problem Its about how you react to it ... I just wished that Rocket didn't take the "it will be done when its done" route... opening a game for closed alpha to community members who are will to help in development is awesome idea if you ask me....

In my opinion not even Blizzard or any other dev team can match entire community. And DayZ has awesome community

People who apply for the alpha will understand that the game isn't finished... no one would get disappointed,  so much more shit would get done...

I am the first willing to model stuff just to see my stuff in the game... but no... "it will take a while" and "when its done"...

Just a little disappointed I guess...

The Standalone is not a contract, and is being made by a small team compared to what Blizzard/Dice/Ubisoft etc. have.

They have HUNDREDS, Standalone has a 20-30. And that is not even alot. And guess how much they spent making the game.

9 Months. Exactly.  Tell me a game that was made in 9 months (release and not alpha) by 20-30 people.

Rocket is having a hard time just because of all you jerks that can't wait for the game silently but just go online and spam the forums, I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

in 9 months they have created brand new engines and brand new everything ? = no.

jump off the fan bus for a minute . why are people getting mad at people who want the game now ? its fair enough response it has been too long ! i dont mind waiting but saying basically shut up you have no idea is kinda sad. people want a new dayz to play without the bugs and such.

the game will be out by december watch ! they wont cant afford to miss this years biggest sales period if they do forget the game and just wait for arma 3 and the mods. thing is if it flops for eg guess what ? arma 3 mods it anyway. BI cant lose !

Not having a date, makes people lazy....plain and simple.... with the whole laid back attitude... it could be a very big build up to ok-but-not-so-great payoff.... after a very long wait.
And the arma 3 dayz would be a thing to play... with all the new maps... content.. custom bases and vehicles... weapons and stuff.... who knows... maybe they make such an awesome zombies you will want to play new Chernarus more than month... because not much gamplay difference has been made... much more are done on the free mod... much more people involved... could be a better game in the end....

...or maybe I am wrong...

They are opening the alpha to the public, they're releasing in alpha. The current build is pre-alpha, some of the core features haven't been added yet.

Not having a date, makes people lazy....plain and simple.... with the whole laid back attitude... it could be a very big build up to ok-but-not-so-great payoff.... after a very long wait.
And the arma 3 dayz would be a thing to play... with all the new maps... content.. custom bases and vehicles... weapons and stuff.... who knows... maybe they make such an awesome zombies you will want to play new Chernarus more than month... because not much gamplay difference has been made... much more are done on the free mod... much more people involved... could be a better game in the end....

...or maybe I am wrong...

But that's the whole point... It's taking so long because they're adding all this new content that couldn't be added to the mod.

You can allways say one date.... and than come out and say listen people I underestimated the amount of shit we have to go through and we are working on it esitmate at least a 5 monts of work or something.... Just be honest... and leave an impression that you actualy know what you are doing and that you are on top of it. 

Its been a year into standalone development... Rocket should have a grasp on ho much work there is to be done... at least a year it will be done in.... something other than... "when its done"