griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Because it could cause all kinds of issues, whereas DayZ is already in RV3 so why not use that as a base and port in the key features from RV4?

In what way is the graphics style nowhere near ARMA 3? The character models look great and the grass is literally imported from ARMA 3, lol.

Well originally they were just planning on buffing up the mod and releasing it as a standalone game. The team may have a pretty big task ahead of them since they switched to the 'from the ground up' approach, but it's only a very vocal minority that seem to have a problem with waiting for a few more months for a much better end product. Also, remember Rocket and the team now have the use of the BI studio, it's not as if they only gained a couple of developers from BI...

I bet it'd be far easier to port zombies into Arma 3 than porting the bling.

The graphic style of Arma 2 and DayZ is very outdated, like I said, gun models etc... ugly stuff. But it's not all about graphic, again like I said sounds are CONSIDERABLY worse than arma 3...

To be honest I'm past the point of waiting for the standalone as I'm quite frankly not impressed by what's been done so far, and like Jackall said, I think it'll be 2015 before we see the full game launch (post beta)...

I'm not sure if BI will send them some guys after Arma 3 launches, but I refuse to believe there are many more people working on SA now than there were making DayZ updates a year ago...

• Like 1

I basically don't even think about the SA anymore.  I come to the forums Monday through Friday during work to see if there are any developments and to watch people complain.   :thumbsup: 

I figured that eventually I'll stumble upon a thread saying it's released or I'll see it on Steam.  Although, by the time it's available it will be well over a year, I'll still buy it.

I bet it'd be far easier to port zombies into Arma 3 than porting the bling.

The graphic style of Arma 2 and DayZ is very outdated, like I said, gun models etc... ugly stuff. But it's not all about graphic, again like I said sounds are CONSIDERABLY worse than arma 3...

To be honest I'm past the point of waiting for the standalone as I'm quite frankly not impressed by what's been done so far, and like Jackall said, I think it'll be 2015 before we see the full game launch (post beta)...

I'm not sure if BI will send them some guys after Arma 3 launches, but I refuse to believe there are many more people working on SA now than there were making DayZ updates a year ago...

That doesn't change the fact that you could run into all kinds of unanticipated problems caused by working with an unknown engine.

You haven't seen the weapon models, again you're making judgements based on a YouTube video. I've only seen the AK-74 so far but it's been reskinned for DayZ and looks great. I'm sure porting weapon sounds over from ARMA 3 won't be a problem, we're in a very early stage of development to be judging things like that, lol. This is starting to remind me of the Redditers complaining about the menu font in the leaked build from February, lol.

You know the standalone alpha is leaked right? There are a lot more screenshots out there....

Everyone seems to be reading past the fact that ACTIVSION, ELECTRONIC ARTS and all the top gaming studios will be making something similar if not better with a full game release next year. And please don’t tell me how shit these studios are cause I fucking hate them too. The point is they now have a great idea and the recourses to milk the fuck out of the idea.

And mZLY please explain why you defending the game to the death? (are you planning on getting a free copy :/ ) All I am trying to say is, they do not have the recourses or the developers to release this game in time before these other fuckers have taken over the idea.  The standalones release date is irrelevant now, as we all know that we won’t be playing the complete game in the next two years.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the EA or Act would make a "hardcore" game a la dayz, purely because even though the game is popular, I don't think enough people would buy it as the game would be too hard and slow paced for the masses

You know the standalone alpha is leaked right? There are a lot more screenshots out there....

Ah, you mean the build from 6 months ago?..

Everyone seems to be reading past the fact that ACTIVSION, ELECTRONIC ARTS and all the top gaming studios will be making something similar if not better with a full game release next year. And please don’t tell me how shit these studios are cause I fucking hate them too. The point is they now have a great idea and the recourses to milk the fuck out of the idea.

And mZLY please explain why you defending the game to the death? (are you planning on getting a free copy :/ ) All I am trying to say is, they do not have the recourses or the developers to release this game in time before these other fuckers have taken over the idea.  The standalones release date is irrelevant now, as we all know that we won’t be playing the complete game in the next two years.

I was given a free copy in February...

It just irks me when people make ignorant statements and/or go into Mystic Meg mode and start proclaiming speculation as fact.

• Like 1

we dont want it to be shit at the same time :lol:

Speak for your own damned self. I am into that kind of stuff.

Naah those companies will never ever make something similar to Dayz:

1) their game engine is capable only on very small maps (thay will look beautifull for sure)

2) they like money way too much

these companies can make only COD with zeds or BF with zeds - they dont have brains to create something special.

only real thing what can some how impact Dayz SA is mod on Arma3 - because its coming out on September 12, with a huge map (way bigger than Chernoruss) and that will be totally new never seen before map.

Dayz SA will have good old Cernoruss with some new locations. Overall it will be the old Chernoruss

Any mod for Arma 3 will also run into the same restrictions that the current mods has, something the SA doesn't.  A mod will always just be a mod with all of the aggro and restrictions for the devs that entails.  Being a relatively new engine it will likely suffer from even more issues with bugs than any of the current mods have too.

Having said that, it's something I'd love to see.  I just don't see it being competition for the SA in the long-run.

Edited by Fraggle

DayZ isn't just using the ToH engine. It's more or less a new engine at this point, using assets from RV 3 and 4.

Sure, there are high res textures, volumetric clouds, lighting and grass from ARMA 3. Really, what else did you expect? :S

I don't think anyone that complains about an alpha build not being 'polished' should be playing it in the first place, to be quite honest.

Well yeah I have heard this so many times - but when it comes to game play video from latter build - I cant say its even close to what I see in Arma3

even Chernoruss with AiA mod looks way better than this called new Dayz engine.

Well I hope it just badly made video :) but reality is way better

Well yeah I have heard this so many times - but when it comes to game play video from latter build - I cant say its even close to what I see in Arma3

even Chernoruss with AiA mod looks way better than this called new Dayz engine.

Well I hope it just badly made video :) but reality is way better

Well Youtubes shitty codecs certainly don't help.  For a better idea look at the screenshots from the blog instead.  It's miles ahead of Arma 2 or the mod.  It's never going to look quite as pretty as Arma 3 because of the DX11 lighting but having played both it really isn't far off.  There's still a long way to go in terms of optimisation and more engine reworking too so It's only going to get better.

Arma 3 and DayZ have very different requirements gameplay wise.  There's many reasons they opted to use the engine they have.  Game design is about trade-offs.  Obviously we all want everything.  Well, we can't have it .

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Well Youtubes shitty codecs certainly don't help.  For a better idea look at the screenshots from the blog instead.  It's miles ahead of Arma 2 or the mod.  It's never going to look quite as pretty as Arma 3 because of the DX11 lighting but having played both it really isn't far off.  There's still a long way to go in terms of optimisation and more engine reworking too so It's only going to get better.

Arma 3 and DayZ have very different requirements gameplay wise.  There's many reasons they opted to use the engine they have.  Game design is about trade-offs.  Obviously we all want everything.  Well, we can't have it .

As of right now, how well does SA run?  I remember a while back you said you had to change a ton of settings on Arma 2 for your DayZ to run good.  I know SA is still getting worked on but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to run SA better than the mod.

As of right now, how well does SA run?  I remember a while back you said you had to change a ton of settings on Arma 2 for your DayZ to run good.  I know SA is still getting worked on but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to run SA better than the mod.

I run max settings with post-process disabled and don't drop below 30 FPS, haven't touched my config or start parameters at all yet so I'm sure I could squeeze out a few more frames if I did.

I'd assume that your performance will be about the same as in the mod for the minute. I'm sure there's still more optimisation to be done but it is still an intensive ARMA game built on an RV-ish engine.

• Like 1

So I was wondering if the SA will be all Server side how will that affect someone like me who plays with 80-90 ping constantly.

I live in Israel so the only servers that I can play on are European servers because 80-90 ping in the mod don't really affect me, but in the SA I fear that the game will be unplayable even at that ping range because for instance in CSS I could not play on European servers even though in games like battlefield 3 I could, and it is known that CSS is entirely Server Side, so my question is: will I be able to play with this ping range?

Nothing is "unplayable" at 80 - 90 ping ... you should be fine.  I'm sure one of the things that is taking so long is making sure this isn't a problem.

does anyone have a link or anything confirming this or is it just wear the clothes you find?

currently it is pretty fun playing a hero and i hope your good deeds will show in SA aswell.

Rocket has said there wont be a humanity system at least to start with, they want to see how things play out first.

Can't remember where i saw this but i'll have a look for it.

edit: this is not the original comment i was thinking of but in this thread Rocket says they want to implement a more subtle system sometime after alpha release.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/137326-hero-bandit-system-gone-in-sa/?hl=%2Bhumanity+%2Brocket#entry1342549

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 2

Rocket already stated that ammo and guns will be much rarer to find in the standalone, which I think is great.

How would you think it would be an ideal balance and why?

I'd like to have it like this:

• super rare military stuff

• rare hunting rifles etc

• some pistols & revolvers . of all gunpowder guns i think they should be the most common

• rare ammo. you most of the time just run around with like 5 bullets for your revolver left. You really have to think about when you spend them, if it would pay off.

also i want to see people hold up other people at gunpoint with an empty gun, just pretending they got ammo.

Ammo rarity would just make things so much more interesting!

on the other hand we could have

• Lots of everyday tools like hammers, saws, axes, sticks, etc.

so most survivor groups would run around armed with meele weapons, and only a few of them carry guns.

chernarus should reflect a normal country and not a warzone where everybody had military weaponry at home before the zombie outbreak.

If you have got a pistol with little ammo you are under the better-equiped.

what's your opinion?

• Like 2

Rocket has said there wont be a humanity system at least to start with, they want to see how things play out first.

Can't remember where i saw this but i'll have a look for it.

edit: this is not the original comment i was thinking of but in this thread Rocket says they want to implement a more subtle system sometime after alpha release.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/137326-hero-bandit-system-gone-in-sa/?hl=%2Bhumanity+%2Brocket#entry1342549

I think blood on the hands would probably be the best idea.  Things like facial expressions or someone's idea of a bandit laughing randomly and acting a little insane is a game breaker to me.  Blood on the hands would mean obviously that the guy had checked a dead player's body.  If you came across someone with bloody hands it would give a good signal that he/she may be a bandit or it could be another survivor who just checked a dead corpse they came across or killed someone that shot at him/her.  It would then be the player's choice to decide whether or not they think that the player is a bandit or survivor.

• Like 1

I think blood on the hands would probably be the best idea.  Things like facial expressions or someone's idea of a bandit laughing randomly and acting a little insane is a game breaker to me.  Blood on the hands would mean obviously that the guy had checked a dead player's body.  If you came across someone with bloody hands it would give a good signal that he/she may be a bandit or it could be another survivor who just checked a dead corpse they came across or killed someone that shot at him/her.  It would then be the player's choice to decide whether or not they think that the player is a bandit or survivor.

I try to avoid killing people when possible but if I see a dead body I'll check it for supplies and I'm sure a lot of other people do the same. I think everyone in Chernarus would have blood on their hands. xD

Ammo and weapons should be so rare that when you get it, you really value it like your whole life depends on it. It should be so rare that when you hear a gunshot, you're like "holy shit, that guy has a WEAPON". Now that would be some immersive shit.

• Like 2

I try to avoid killing people when possible but if I see a dead body I'll check it for supplies and I'm sure a lot of other people do the same. I think everyone in Chernarus would have blood on their hands. xD

Indeed that would be one problem with it but I think the idea might be one of the better ones out there.  Tbh though I'm not sure what other ideas there could be that you would know just by looking that a person is a bandit.

I've never met a murder in real life, at least I hope I haven't, but it does seem entirely possible that even serial killers can maintain sanity and act completely normal.  Atleast from stories I've read and heard.  I'm no expert on the matter so I really can't say for sure.  I think the only other way to know if someone is a bandit is by talking to them.  Many players I've run into that I've talked over direct chat to, I could tell for the most part if they were friendly or not.  Their tone and how they act can generally give away their intentions.

• Like 1

Melee weapons should be extremely common.  Every player should have some form of melee weapon whether it be a machete, a baseball bat, a hatchet, etc.  There are countless things you could use in real life as melee weapons so SA should have melee weapons in most places.

Pistols should be the most common fire arm.  Not too common that you find them everywhere, but common enough that most players you encounter will have one.  Some ammo should be available but not more than a mag or two if even that much.  Hopefully the pistols will actually be powerful too.  They are far too weak in the mod.

Basic rifles like hunting rifles and shot guns like double barrol should be sorta rare.  Maybe 1 out of ever 3 players has one.  Ammo should be about equivalent to pistols.  Maybe a mag or two at mag for guns like the mosin and several pellets for shot guns.

Military weapons rarity should vary on the weapon itself.  For instance an AK 74 would be more common than a machine gun like the M60.  Ammo for them should vary too.  Maybe you find a few bullets laying around for them or you find a weapons cache in an abandoned police station that is chock full of ammo and mags.