griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

I take your point but why will it be "too late" to add later on?

I think the main point of having an open alpha is that only so much progress can be made on certain gameplay elements before they need the feedback and data from large-scale testing involving thousands of players.  There's many unknowns with some aspects of the SA that the sooner they can start collecting data and player feedback the sooner they can address any issues.

I'd suggest that maybe Frankie waits until the game is in Beta or fully released if he feels it's not worth playing with those elements missing.

Anyhoo, that's my thoughts on it.  Welcome to the forum and don't forget that breaking your text up into paragraphs can make it much easier to read :)

Because by the time they add It people will probably make up there minds and just shoot on sight, but if we can stop it even before it happens then we will sort of solve a lot of the shoot on sights problems!

I think there's many things that may make people think twice about shooting on sight now (although many will still play like that because they like it) but I don't think base-building or vehicles have anything to do with it.

More things to do, less ammo (so that you have to think about every bullet you use) and a more complex survival system are more important in my opinion.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Okay so if you know when playing the dayz mod, everyone knows that the zombies are a pain in the ass and that is due to them being to buggy as in the way they can walk through doors, climb ladders and glitch when firing at them. What i want to know is if this has been fixed up for standalone because this is the one thing that will make or not make me buy the game.

Thanks

Hello there

Information on this is everywhere. The Zombies/Infected are being reworked.

Why not wait and see? There's no point making a judgement until we have the facts and the game is purchasable.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Its a mod for Arma 2

So its going to have bugs out the waazoo no madder what.

The SA will be its own thing and mentioned things should be fixed.

I must admit i don’t see the alpa getting released this year, and the beta before 2015. The progress and build is too slow and it is taking forever.

Games like Arma 3 has got more appeal to it and that taste dayz left in your mouth after a nights play has left me completely. Dean is arrogant and he thinks if he keeps bullshitting people that he will still have an audience to sell too when he gets to release. I personally think he has lost more than half of his customer base due to all the bull shit release dates, and one years development, with nothing special to show.

The new devblog shows nothing spectacular and still looks pretty much the same as E3, and hell let’s admit it, it still looks like arma 2 dayz. I would much rather play arma 3 dayz with all its bugs than even consider the standalone at this point. if we are so lucky to have a release this year it will have one or two guns that can be customised. Regardless of how many guns there are, the graphics are out dated on the standalone and it actually looks shitty compared to anything released since 2010. After playing arma 3 wasteland i actually started losing interest in dayz completely. The hype is gone, thank you Dean you arrogant Aussie.

Edited by The Jackall
  • Like 1

I must admit i don’t see the alpa getting released this year, and the beta before 2015. The progress and build is too slow and it is taking forever.

Games like Arma 3 has got more appeal to it and that taste dayz left in your mouth after a nights play has left me completely. Dean is arrogant and he thinks if he keeps bullshitting people that he will still have an audience to sell too when he gets to release. I personally think he has lost more than half of his customer base due to all the bull shit release dates, and one years development, with nothing special to show.

The new devblog shows nothing spectacular and still looks pretty much the same as E3, and hell let’s admit it, it still looks like arma 2 dayz. I would much rather play arma 3 dayz with all its bugs than even consider the standalone at this point. if we are so lucky to have a release this year it will have one or two guns that can be customised. Regardless of how many guns there are, the graphics are out dated on the standalone and it actually looks shitty compared to anything released since 2010. After playing arma 3 wasteland i actually started losing interest in dayz completely. The hype is gone, thank you Dean you arrogant Aussie.

These 'bullshit release dates' never existed, everything he says gets jumbled up and transformed into a release date through word of mouth like a giant game of Chinese whispers.

The devs were originally aiming for a 2012 release, and they said that the game would be released by Dec 31st 2012. They then decided that instead of releasing a more polished version of the mod they actually wanted to rebuild it from the ground up because that was the only way to iron out all the bugs that we have in the mod. As a result they missed the 2012 deadline and have not set another date since.

'We will review the situation in July' does not mean we will release the game in July, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I don't really think Rocket cares how much money he makes from the game or how many people buy it, I think what's important to him is that they don't rush and release the game too early when it just isn't ready.

• Like 2

I don't really think Rocket cares how much money he makes from the game or how many people buy it, I think what's important to him is that they don't rush and release the game too early when it just isn't ready.

Exactly, because otherwise we'll see all these people ranting that Rocket should of waited until the game was actually playable to release it and or there was more to do in the game.  

I don't think all these people whining and ranting about SA not being released, understand what Rocket's intentions are.  I can almost 100% guarantee that if Rocket were to release the SA today, without all the things he still wants to add and polish, that all these people complaining about SA not being released would start complaining about all the game's faults within a week.

• Like 1

These 'bullshit release dates' never existed, everything he says gets jumbled up and transformed into a release date through word of mouth like a giant game of Chinese whispers.

The devs were originally aiming for a 2012 release, and they said that the game would be released by Dec 31st 2012. They then decided that instead of releasing a more polished version of the mod they actually wanted to rebuild it from the ground up because that was the only way to iron out all the bugs that we have in the mod. As a result they missed the 2012 deadline and have not set another date since.

'We will review the situation in July' does not mean we will release the game in July, etc. etc. etc. etc.

you must be high if you think he doesn’t care about the money he makes? why do you think he wants to release on xbox and ps? simple answer is for the masses, and unfortunately consoles gamers are the masses. Trust me he saw the dollar signs when the mod went viral. you and i would too.

The only unfortunate thing for him is, and yes I will say it again. The console lovers will not get attached to this game with the current graphics engine. It is too out dated and with the next gen consoles, which of these kiddies will play a game that looks like something released in 2009?

Edited by The Jackall

you must be high if you think he doesn’t care about the money he makes? why do you think he wants to release on xbox and ps? simple answer is for the masses, and unfortunately consoles gamers are the masses. Trust me he saw the dollar signs when the mod went viral. you and i would too.

The only unfortunate thing for him is, and yes I will say it again. The console lovers will not get attached to this game with the current graphics engine. It is too out dated and with the next gen consoles, which of these kiddies will play a game that looks like something released in 2009?

Have you even looked at the screenshots that were released with the last devblog? Having actually played it - the game looks great... Don't judge it based on YouTube videos when everyone knows how bad their codecs are. :S

Sure, he wants to release on console to make more money to fund PC development. He's already talked about it and how if it were to happen it would be handled by a third-party company so that it didn't detract from development of the PC version.

• Like 1

Have you even looked at the screenshots that were released with the last devblog? Having actually played it - the game looks great... Don't judge it based on YouTube videos when everyone knows how bad their codecs are. :S

Sure, he wants to release on console to make more money to fund PC development. He's already talked about it and how if it were to happen it would be handled by a third-party company so that it didn't detract from development of the PC version.

i have seen all the videos including the latest devblog. it doesn’t look that great, but anyway i am willing to take a quality game over graphics.

Edited by The Jackall

i have seen all the videos including the latest devblog. it doesn’t look that great, but anyway i am willing to take a quality game over graphics.

I agree that it doesn't look all that amazing but they are still working on it.  It doesn't look terrible but there is still stuff they need to fix and add.  We'll just have to wait and see how the game is when it is actually released.  Judging it now is pointless because it is still in development.

Again, the videos look crappy because they're on YouTube...

Have a look through the screenshots, it looks more like ARMA 3 than the ARMA 2 mod. :S

http://rocketkiwi.tumblr.com/post/57212375532/dayzdev-screenshots-from-todays-multiplayer

• Like 1

Exactly, because otherwise we'll see all these people ranting that Rocket should of waited until the game was actually playable to release it and or there was more to do in the game.  

I don't think all these people whining and ranting about SA not being released, understand what Rocket's intentions are.  I can almost 100% guarantee that if Rocket were to release the SA today, without all the things he still wants to add and polish, that all these people complaining about SA not being released would start complaining about all the game's faults within a week.

Whiners are whiners , regardless of the situation at hand .

I'm really surprised it's been taking so long to be honest. When BIS bought DayZ, I though it'd be full speed ahead smooth sailing from then on...

But it looks like the DayZ team is consisting of a couple of guys it seems - either that, or a horribly inefficient team that's working at snail's pace.

Anyway, I think it'd be much easier to live with the long development process if they switched to ARMA 3s engine.

And it's not just for the graphics... A3 already has the attachment system, clothing and pouch system... So why the hell would you want to shoehorn Arma3 features into essentially Arma2.

Now I know it's the TOH engine, but to the uninitiated it looks the same. Hell, even to me the screenshots aren't at all impressive. Sure there are high res textures, but what else did you expect?

Thing is when DayZ eventually releases and isn't polished as hell then people will bitch - and rightfully so.

Anyway, I think that once the talented modders of A2 switch to 3 and put their heads together, they could seriously make something that will be more attractive than the standalone...

I'm really surprised it's been taking so long to be honest. When BIS bought DayZ, I though it'd be full speed ahead smooth sailing from then on...

But it looks like the DayZ team is consisting of a couple of guys it seems - either that, or a horribly inefficient team that's working at snail's pace.

Anyway, I think it'd be much easier to live with the long development process if they switched to ARMA 3s engine.

And it's not just for the graphics... A3 already has the attachment system, clothing and pouch system... So why the hell would you want to shoehorn Arma3 features into essentially Arma2.

Now I know it's the TOH engine, but to the uninitiated it looks the same. Hell, even to me the screenshots aren't at all impressive. Sure there are high res textures, but what else did you expect?

Thing is when DayZ eventually releases and isn't polished as hell then people will bitch - and rightfully so.

Anyway, I think that once the talented modders of A2 switch to 3 and put their heads together, they could seriously make something that will be more attractive than the standalone...

I must admit, I agree with you on this. It seems like the team behind the standalone is too small and inexperienced. We can admit that this game is a gold mine. Why did they not sell the rights to Bohemia Interactive and let them develop it with the Arma 3 engine? I am sure the mod made Arma 3 sell more copy’s than what Bohemia ever expected. Yes Arma 3 is still in Beta, but it is close to release. I think the main reason for this is that Dean wants to milk the cow as much as possible as this was his idea, he doesn’t want someone else making the money from his project.

The hole attraction behind Dayz was the Arma game engine (realism), even with its shitty bugs. Arma 3 just feels more polished and throwing cash at the development of the Dayz build on the Arma 3 engine is the way to get the game released quicker, and competing with the big boys. The few guys that are developing Dayz will take forever to even get this project into Beta never mind Alpha. And with this shit slow developing, are we even going to see the standalone released as a game in 2015? I don’t think so, and comes 2014 there will be at least 10 other games with the same concept developed by the big gaming studios, and probably a better game in general. Dean will still be busy developing the system to wipe your ass when these others have taken over his brilliant idea.

Everyone will get on the band wagon and Dean’s great idea will be dead with his design team. A game idea like this comes around once every decade, like when Doom, Quake, Half Life and World of Warcraft took over the world. Dean doesn’t even know why this mod is so popular, and he probably never expected it to be as popular. Look at those wonderful game ideas now? Everything else is copy of them.

I'm pretty sure Dean did sell "DayZ" to BIS. They seem to be involved in the dev twitter posting stuff about their Mars game...

Forgot to add, Arma 3s engine has x2882999 better sound design than Arma 2. Shots can be heard a kilometer away - it's so awesome!

I never seen or heard of more realistic guns in any first person shooter. The guns in Arma 3 feels as close to the real thing as possible.

Yup, the DayZ team are small but dedicated. Patience is a virtue.

Pretty much everything useful has already been ported over from Real Virtuality 4, there really wouldn't have been much point in using it.

DayZ isn't just using the ToH engine. It's more or less a new engine at this point, using assets from RV 3 and 4.

Sure, there are high res textures, volumetric clouds, lighting and grass from ARMA 3. Really, what else did you expect? :S

I don't think anyone that complains about an alpha build not being 'polished' should be playing it in the first place, to be quite honest.

• Like 1

Why port to an outdated engine instead of using the brand spanking new one, the one everyone is drooling over?

The graphic style is nowhere near Arma 3 and no matter how much you upgrade your Nissan Micra, it's still a bloody Micra.

Edit:

This also doesn't make sense. A mod comes along that shifts more A2+OA in 3 months than you've sold in couple of years, so seeing you've got this extremely successful mod you buy the rights and then... Assign one or two extra guys to work on it?! Wtf?!

Edited by FrostDMG

Why port to an outdated engine instead of using the brand spanking new one, the one everyone is drooling over?

The graphic style is nowhere near Arma 3 and no matter how much you upgrade your Nissan Micra, it's still a bloody Micra.

Edit:

This also doesn't make sense. A mod comes along that shifts more A2+OA in 3 months than you've sold in couple of years, so seeing you've got this extremely successful mod you buy the rights and then... Assign one or two extra guys to work on it?! Wtf?!

dumbasses i agree

Edit:

Because it could cause all kinds of issues, whereas DayZ is already in RV3 so why not use that as a base and port in the key features from RV4?

In what way is the graphics style nowhere near ARMA 3? The character models look great and the grass is literally imported from ARMA 3, lol.

Well originally they were just planning on buffing up the mod and releasing it as a standalone game. The team may have a pretty big task ahead of them since they switched to the 'from the ground up' approach, but it's only a very vocal minority that seem to have a problem with waiting for a few more months for a much better end product. Also, remember Rocket and the team now have the use of the BI studio, it's not as if they only gained a couple of developers from BI...

• Like 2

Edit:

Regarding the engine choice that's been discussed and explained at length over and over again.  Most people seem unable to grasp what the game engine actually is or does and how that can change.  It's like trying to bash your head against a brick wall when all people can see is Arma2 engine vs Arma3 engine.  It's a lot more complex than that and Dean has explained the decision many times. 

The dev team is relatively small atm but will be growing considerably as they ramp up the progress.  It's possible that eventually it will have the same resources made available to it that Arma 3 had.

yes the team is very small and the task is large.

we all want dayz standalone as quick as possible but... we dont want it to be shit at the same time :lol:

so basically they got to build one of the biggest games of the moment with a handful of people that has the best graphics animations and new features to please us all and have no faults or bugs while doing this in world record time.

shouldnt be long now ! should be done by this dinner time or im not buying it :lol:

im glad its not like arma 3 i hate it ! ;)

Edited by dgeesio