boneboys

DayZ PS4 Discussion

I asked a buddy who plays PS4 if he's excited for DayZ and he went, "What's that?".

Hello there

I have a chum who works in console marketing at a mid to high level. He too had never heard of DAYZ when I first mentioned it to him. Once he found out about it, he was rather interested.

It IS permeating through to the consolians though and more importantly to the suits behind them.

I think you'll start hearing more about DAYZ in those circles now Gamescon is over.

Rgds

LoK

Good for Bohemia, I have been secretly critical of the SA (meaning I don't complain on the forums since I did get the game for free from the company) but I still think it can be something worth playing eventually. Those who did not sink tons of hours into the mod can even enjoy the bare bones experience of the early Alpha and find it very enjoyable. Even having said that I don't see how this is controversial, they have enough revenue to hire a team for porting over a console version and worst case scenario PC gamers get to feel smug (like we need any help in that department) that consoles get a bad PC port for once. From what I understand (which isn't that much) current generation consoles utilize a similar development process to PC's, but even if they did not they could justify hiring additional staff for the console version due to the revenue generated by Early Access and the prospect of opening up a new market to sell the game. I really do not see why so many people seem upset except some of the people (cough cough Gibonez) are perpetually upset at every stupid topic. 

So talking about how you dislike the pace of standalone development has nothing to do with the PS4 announcement. 

Discussing how you dislike the direction of the SA has nothing to do with PS4. 

Essentially if you have some huge problem with this announcement odds are you are a PC elitist (which I can be guilty of as well) and/or a hippy who doesn't understand how basic business works. If people want the product make the product. 

Edited by Zombie Jesus
  • Like 2

I'm not sure dayz will find an audience on the consoles. Most of the console guys I talk to dislike games like battlefield and prefer cod, why? Because apparently the maps in battlefield are "too big". Now if people find the maps in battlefield too big, how are they going to cope with dayz? It will blow their minds. The majority of console gamers prefer near constant action, the gameplay in dayz is the opposite of that. It's a real slow-burner. I just played for an hour on dayz, what was that hour made up of? I was sneaking through fields and two towns, and I killed 2 zombies, not exactly a action packed session, but it is what it is, and that's the gameplay, it's tense and spooky, but not "constant action". I can appreciate not every gamer is the same and there are bound to be people on console who will be interested, but will it have a mass audience? I don't know...

I'm not sure dayz will find an audience on the consoles. Most of the console guys I talk to dislike games like battlefield and prefer cod, why? Because apparently the maps in battlefield are "too big". Now if people find the maps in battlefield too big, how are they going to cope with dayz? It will blow their minds. The majority of console gamers prefer near constant action, the gameplay in dayz is the opposite of that. It's a real slow-burner. I just played for an hour on dayz, what was that hour made up of? I was sneaking through fields and two towns, and I killed 2 zombies, not exactly a action packed session, but it is what it is, and that's the gameplay, it's tense and spooky, but not "constant action". I can appreciate not every gamer is the same and there are bound to be people on console who will be interested, but will it have a mass audience? I don't know...

That is a certain crowd. COD is the Angry Birds of Shooters. I hate Angry Birds

Hello there

I have a chum who works in console marketing at a mid to high level. He too had never heard of DAYZ when I first mentioned it to him. Once he found out about it, he was rather interested.

It IS permeating through to the consolians though and more importantly to the suits behind them.

I think you'll start hearing more about DAYZ in those circles now Gamescon is over.

Rgds

LoK

Ew lok has chum. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

One of the problems with BF4 and BF3 was the size of the maps coupled with the small server sizes on consoles. I built my computer right after BF3 released and I did enjoy it on Xbox but after playing it on PC I realized I had been playing BF3 lite edition. The current generation consoles can host larger servers (I think, I don't own one since I am no longer a broke college student) which could make it more appealing to the constant action crowd. But those are shooting games and if I am in the mood for an FPS I do want more action than the small servers on large maps BF3 offered on Xbox 360 and PS3. 

I think there is a market for a game like DayZ on PS4 even if it is just a niche market. I have buddies who only own consoles who have been interested in DayZ for quite some time. If the game comes out in a more complete state it might even enjoy mainstream success as it has on PC.

• Like 1

It is possible that when the 64bit servers were announced they were already being developed by the console team and we were just not ready to announce the PS4 version.

Aes Sedai? Anything is possible, under the light.

• Like 1

Geez it seems hacker fraud Frankie is still bent over SA. I swear this guy has an axe to grind against SA and always has, just like Rhino. Personally I think he's still mad he got caught hacking and his DayZ rep with the community was ruined from that point but that's for another thread. Most of what he is saying is messed up with SA in the vid has already been implemented or fixed. It's clear this is just another drama queen rant for his feeble-minded fanboys to chew on. I think the last time I saw him post an SA vid was bitching about ladders and I think it was during version .45 or maybe .46. Definitely not since the navmesh and persistence testing during exp and now on stable so this guy is talking out of his ass for the views, just like most of these big youtubers do. 

Anyways here's his rant vid..

Edited by haknslash

since it is near impossible to shoot accurately with controller. 

No, it isn't. 

• Like 2

No, it isn't.

Oh yes it is mate. Without autoaim it is very hard to shoot and if there is autoaim in PS4, it ruins the game. It is already considered hard to shoot in DayZ PC version, so I can already see how PS4 will be a shitfest.

Daamn we will see so many squeker bandits on PS4, who cant shoot. God damn it DayZ is not even near to be casual enough for console.

Oh yes it is mate. Without autoaim it is very hard to shoot and if there is autoaim in PS4, it ruins the game. It is already considered hard to shoot in DayZ PC version, so I can already see how PS4 will be a shitfest.

Daamn we will see so many squeker bandits on PS4, who cant shoot. God damn it DayZ is not even near to be casual enough for console.

I have shot, and can shoot, accurately without auto aim. Unless you are specifically referring to the PS4? (I haven't used it before.)

I'm sure the usual horses have been beaten so I'll stay away from the traditional "fix pc first" bullshit. 

All I'm hoping is that Sony implement some quality control and give the devs a good kicking if the product is shit. Steam should've done that ages ago, or at least pulled it from the shelves until such time that the game is complete enough to warrant its price.

That said, this is a huge step for them so I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to ensure it's up to par.

• Like 1

I have shot, and can shoot, accurately without auto aim. Unless you are specifically referring to the PS4? (I haven't used it before.)

I was talking about controllers in general. I have been consolegamer for years and I even have Xbox controller hooked up to my PC, but it is still hard to aim accurately with it. Controllers are only good for cargames.

Anyways here's his rant vid..

Wow, that is so full of misinformation, it's actually impressive.

All I'm hoping is that Sony implement some quality control and give the devs a good kicking if the product is shit. Steam should've done that ages ago

There is a massive difference between releasing a game on PS4 and releasing an Early Access game on Steam.

I don't know why you would expect anything but bugs from an Early Access game. It's called Early Access. That implies that it's not finished yet. And in game development that means that's it's full of bugs. Literally all games are at this stage. That's exactly how game development works. I can understand that it's a new concept to people and they need to get used to it as a few years ago, at this stage, the game would still be behind closed doors.

If you can't accept that you should've not bought the game or you should enjoy the fact that you got it for cheap and come back when it's closer to being done ;)

Edited by Accolyte
typos
  • Like 3

Hello there

I loathe console controllers, but I know many who use them on both PC and console and they use them to great effect in all genres with or without correction.

Its purely how you train yourself. I think its magic and dont understand how my superior mouse can be bested but ive seen it.

I, with my ancient clawed arthritic hands, am dreadful with a controller and will never use one but they are not as awful as I would like.

Rgds

LoK

Yea it's a pretty pathetic attempt to slam DayZ IMHO. At least it's good to see some people in his comments section tell him he's wrong, not that it would do him any good though.

Edited by haknslash

There is a massive difference between releasing a game on PS4 and releasing an Early Access game on Steam.

I don't know why you would expect anything but bugs from an Early Access game. It's called Early Access. That implies that it's not finished yet. And in game development that means that's it's full of bugs. Literally all games are at this stage. That's exactly how game development works. I can understand that it's a new concept to people and they need to get used to it as a few years ago, at this stage, the game would still be behind closed doors.

If you can't accept that you should've not bought the game or you should enjoy the fact that you got it for cheap and come back when it's closer to being done ;)

The reason the community is so broke up about it is we expected it to be farther along. If it was released in its current state a year ago I think we would have been less critical.

• Like 1

I'm aware of that. I'm not going to go into the specifics as I'm well aware of how things work in terms of deadlines, priorities, and people holding purse strings. That said, having a game on "early access" implies that it will in fact be finished at some point. We as a community have been very forgiving with Dean Hall and now Bohemia. We don''t expect a finished product now, but we do expect more than simple vanity items and the odd gun. Let's be honest here, that's not "game improving updates" or "nearing completion" - that's appeasement updates. They're more "here, give them a gun, that'll shut them up". 

Of course you'll dispute that and tell me I'm wrong, I expect no less, but the fact is that's how it's perceived. By us. The paying customers. 

You cannot deny that the development of DayZ has been glacially slow, to the point of some people actually wanting their money back. Perhaps Steam should have an area called "might be finished at some point, might not" because that's where it feels like DayZ should be.

Don't get me wrong, as said I'm pretty savvy on corporate environments and how they work so I'm not sitting here going "game now pls". I understand that you guys are only as strong and efficient as budgets will allow. The problem is that from a consumer's point of view, the priorities are all wrong and development on the more important things like vehicles is being put aside as it probably entails much more work than was originally accounted for. 

Bohemia needs to swallow that pill and say "right guys, let's get this done". Amass all your devs, stick them in an office with a Subway platter and some coffee, and put in a concerted effort to put something forward that really makes the waiting seem worthwhile. 

Until then, we'll just continue moaning about an unfinished product which for many of us was meant to be one of the greatest games this decade.

• Like 4

I'm aware of that. I'm not going to go into the specifics as I'm well aware of how things work in terms of deadlines, priorities, and people holding purse strings. That said, having a game on "early access" implies that it will in fact be finished at some point. We as a community have been very forgiving with Dean Hall and now Bohemia. We don''t expect a finished product now, but we do expect more than simple vanity items and the odd gun. Let's be honest here, that's not "game improving updates" or "nearing completion" - that's appeasement updates. They're more "here, give them a gun, that'll shut them up". 

Of course you'll dispute that and tell me I'm wrong, I expect no less, but the fact is that's how it's perceived. By us. The paying customers. 

You cannot deny that the development of DayZ has been glacially slow, to the point of some people actually wanting their money back. Perhaps Steam should have an area called "might be finished at some point, might not" because that's where it feels like DayZ should be.

Don't get me wrong, as said I'm pretty savvy on corporate environments and how they work so I'm not sitting here going "game now pls". I understand that you guys are only as strong and efficient as budgets will allow. The problem is that from a consumer's point of view, the priorities are all wrong and development on the more important things like vehicles is being put aside as it probably entails much more work than was originally accounted for. 

Bohemia needs to swallow that pill and say "right guys, let's get this done". Amass all your devs, stick them in an office with a Subway platter and some coffee, and put in a concerted effort to put something forward that really makes the waiting seem worthwhile. 

Until then, we'll just continue moaning about an unfinished product which for many of us was meant to be one of the greatest games this decade.

Hello there

Diddums, Im going to have to agree and yet disagree with you.

For many the speed of development has been perceived as glacially slow. This is true.

The issue is their perception is wrong.

As the team/vision/scope of the game has increased then so has the development time.

Its not just a bunch of guys who can throw in some code and see what happens as in a mod team there's a vast amount of "stuff" happening along side development.

A bad analogy is that in an afternoon I can knock up a small shed. It has lighting, electrics even carpets. So, one can say Ive built my house. Now if one then goes on to build an actual house, even though the basics are essentially the same (walls, doors, ceilings and floors) the actual logistics and buildtimes are vastly different. Its the same with the mod and the SA IMHO.

How many guys do they have working now? And over different "studios", that in itself is going to throw up the occasional issue. Sick days, tech issues etc etc all sorts of new variable are thrown in to the mix.

I think many fol were expecting "more" in a shorter timeframe but that's mainly, not entirely, but mainly their own mis management of their expectations.

Has everything been perfect from "our" end? No, but then again who is?

If you hold up the mod to the SA one can see VAST amounts have changed and we know what is still to come.

If the team just decided to quickly wrap it up and polish off what they had now, they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I understand your frustration, I just dont agree that its wholly justified.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Always a pleasure reading your posts L.

Whilst you make some valid points, I would like to point out that we did pay... £25(?) for this game. I understand the early access points, but the game has hardly been developed at all since we purchased it almost a year ago. As I said I'm not expecting a finished product, just something more considerable than some vanity items. 

You say that the dev team isn't a group of guys who can throw in some code, yet that's exactly what it feels like. A bunch of guys just coding on laptops and throwing us a bone now and then. 

Bohemia isn't small. They're not an indie dev running a company out of someone's house, they're a fairly large firm which should have contingencies in place for things like sick days, annual leave, people coming and going. That's how a business is run. If I called my boss and said I had to delay a project because of something that I'm responsible for, whether it's people calling in sick, unexpected circumstances or whatever, I expect them to raise questions. That's how business works. 

It's simply inexcusable that all we have to show for a year's worth of development is a few guns and some clothing. 

If this was EA, people would probably have the pitch forks out by now. We're very forgiving and understanding of Bohemia, but there's only so much patience one can muster.

• Like 1

The reason the community is so broke up about it is we expected it to be farther along. If it was released in its current state a year ago I think we would have been less critical.

We warned everyone that the game is rough around the edges when it was released. We said that it's basically just the first playable version back then. A lot of people chose to ignore that warning. Like I said above, you should come back later, when the game does meet your expectations.

-snip-

Your post would be a breath of fresh air as I could understand your concerns, if it didn't contain the classic rant about hats and guns.

Creating hats and guns does not affect the speed of any other updates. They are not worked on instead of programming issues. These items are made by artists. Artists can't work on code. It's not their job, it's not their skill, it's not what they're hired for. Programmers work on code, they don't work on hats and guns. No development time is lost when new hats and guns are made, the progress on code remains basically the same. Should artists just sit at the office and twiddle their thumbs and not work on anything while programmers work on code? Can we please finally understand this, everyone?

The game is obviously going to be finished. I have no clue where this whole thing about the game never going to be released comes from.

And I'm not saying you're wrong on the rest of stuff, well you technically are, but it can't be blamed on you as a lot of the changes in code are not as visible as a new hat or a gun. Like I said above I can understand where you're coming from in that regard, but development is not really slow by any means.

• Like 1

Actually, I think Frankie was pretty fair with his comment. Sure, fanboys don't like it, but if you're having an objective view on this, you have to admit it...

• Like 2

the game has hardly been developed at all since we purchased it almost a year ago

That is simply a fallacy and you know it. If I downgrade to the version that was the first released right now there would be so much stuff different to the current version I would probably spend the whole weekend writing a list of the stuff that's different.

Actually, I think Frankie was pretty fair with his comment. Sure, fanboys don't like it, but if you're having an objective view on this, you have to admit it...

Except it really wasn't. Let's put the fanboy/hater stuff aside please. It's nonsensical.

We warned everyone that the game is rough around the edges when it was released. We said that it's basically just the first playable version back then. A lot of people chose to ignore that warning. Like I said above, you should come back later, when the game does meet your expectations.

Your post would be a breath of fresh air as I could understand your concerns, if it didn't contain the classic rant about hats and guns.

Creating hats and guns does not affect the speed of any other updates. They are not worked on instead of programming issues. These items are made by artists. Artists can't work on code. It's not their job, it's not their skill, it's not what they're hired for. Programmers work on code, they don't work on hats and guns. No development time is lost when new hats and guns are made, the progress on code remains basically the same. Should artists just sit at the office and twiddle their thumbs and not work on anything while programmers work on code? Can we please finally understand this, everyone?

The game is obviously going to be finished. I have no clue where this whole thing about the game never going to be released comes from.

And I'm not saying you're wrong on the rest of stuff, well you technically are, but it can't be blamed on you as a lot of the changes in code are not as visible as a new hat or a gun. Like I said above I can understand where you're coming from in that regard, but development is not really slow by any means.

You effectively agreed with what I said in terms of updates which is nice. It's nice to know I'm right sometimes :D

However, whilst having artists sitting around and twiddling thumbs is obviously not productive at all, it's also a waste to have them doing things which have such little impact on not only a paid for product, but an almost negative effect on BiS' image in the eyes of us, the paying customers.

In my post I touched briefly on how BiS needs to sort out their priorities and your post goes a long way to confirm this. Whilst I wish nobody out of a job, perhaps BiS should reassign those artists to other projects where they can make a noticeable difference, or replace them with coders who can crunch through the errant / out of date code so we can get a better product sooner.

That is simply a fallacy and you know it. If I downgrade to the version that was the first released right now there would be so much stuff different to the current version I would probably spend the whole weekend writing a list of the stuff that's different.

Except it really wasn't. Let's put the fanboy/hater stuff aside please. It's nonsensical.

There's no "fanboyism" or "hater" mentality going on here. Yes I am well aware that the game is being constantly developed. The problem isn't that. The problem is that there's simply nothing for us to sink our teeth in to at the moment. No vehicles is a massive downside. Let's not forget that  for many of us, the mod revolved around vehicles. That made the game exciting. Whether it was watching Ceppy crash choppers or finding that last part of a vehicle to get it working, these were big things that not only affected a player but in many cases a whole group of people. In the mod we could all get together and hunt down parts for a chopper / car / whatever and when we got it working, it was awesome. There's nothing like this in the current release. 

Yes the small updates are nice. New weapons. New clothing. Hunting. These however are also the kind of update you get once a game is completed. What we're not seeing is the kind of update you get in an early release game, like vehicles. That's a huge thing. Obviously I'm focussing on vehicles as it was a main point for me and the people I played with, but others will probably have the same opinion about other things in the game. 

All I'm saying that right now, a year since I got the game, it's a disappointment, and from my point of view it's purely down to bad management. If BiS put those artists to work there they can actually make a proper difference and put some more coders into the DayZ project, we'd see better updates and faster. 

For my perception of what we're seeing now, see my above post. 

• Like 1

Frankie is a tool.  Pure and simple.

Just because you are "famous" doesn't mean your spouting of nonsense should be deemed more worthy than a morons on a soapbox.

• Like 5