Greensek

Experimental Update 1.06

I really like the place holder in inventory!

Pardon me if this already exists, but I think it would be extremely useful to be able to assign a key to "return item in hands to placeholder"

Thanks for all your great work, can't wait for Livonia!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, olyeller said:

Pardon me if this already exists, but I think it would be extremely useful to be able to assign a key to "return item in hands to placeholder"

Use the hotbar its what its there for.

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, olyeller said:

4 hours ago, McWendy said:

Use the hotbar its what its there for.

@Greensek

I would REALLY like a toggle function to disable the place holder feature, I cannot stand it. It makes fast looting under stress a real pain in the ass, because we can't just quickly fill the shoulder slots or inventory if we're holding something that's locked to there.

I also would very much like to get the old "h" to holster (put back to inventory) back in the game. It makes it so smooth just clearing your hands, very important when we have a flock of infected on our tail, or being chased by a player and can't afford to do the slow walk in inventory.

Another thing that really rubs me the wrong way, is that we can hotbar weapons in our backpacks, I feel this is totally unreasonable. It's so stupid when you are holding someone up, they drop the gun on their back and just swiftly insta whips out a shotgun from their backpack. To be honest, we shouldn't be able to hotbar anything from the backpack, with how insanely large inventory spaces we have in all clothing now this shouldn't ever be a problem.

I don't even like that we can even fit long rifles and shotguns in the smaller backpacks, in the mountain and alice packs, fine.. But please make it reasonable. We can even fit mp5's in our starter clothes for petes sake, it's not necessary. If we want to carry large items, force us to use large backpacks atleast.

And as I've stated many times before, please bring back item damage when we get shot to how it was before (0.62 and earlier). It would really help keep it interesting when we are fully geared and actually have to loot after we get shot, because most of the unprotected items are ruined, it will force us to prioritize to protect essentials for survival like meds and ammo. It will also help balance out with how much loot there is now.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

6 hours ago, TAMW said:

Another thing that really rubs me the wrong way, is that we can hotbar weapons in our backpacks, I feel this is totally unreasonable.

Yea, and it should take months to grow crops.  And how come we haven't added sense of smell to the game?  And why is there no toilet paper in the game?  Unreasonable!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Yea, and it should take months to grow crops.  And how come we haven't added sense of smell to the game?  And why is there no toilet paper in the game?  Unreasonable!

Less direct impact in combat situations though. Whipping out a mosin from a backpack in less than a second is something that just shouldn't be possible. Hotbar slots gained from clothes/vests should be connected to those garments so you can only bind items stored in their pockets. I'd not complain if they were divided into separate zones after pockets too. No more smg:s in tracksuit jackets...

• Beans 3

11 hours ago, TAMW said:

@Greensek

I would REALLY like a toggle function to disable the place holder feature, I cannot stand it. It makes fast looting under stress a real pain in the ass, because we can't just quickly fill the shoulder slots or inventory if we're holding something that's locked to there.

Hello @TAMW,

Currently there's no plans to add a toggle functionality for the reserved item space.

You can right click on this space to disable it.

12 hours ago, TAMW said:

@Greensek

Wow. Because I can't tell you how many stress situations I've been in during fast looting when all of a sudden I could not put an item from hands back to its place, because that slot has been taken by random loot. I'm really curious how does your fat looting look like, if you're having this issue. I just press take action and move on.  

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

I did not mean realistic, I never want realism to hinder good gameplay. But you did read what I wrote, and if you play the game on a regular you know we have 2 shoulder slots, and massive inventory space in even just regular clothing.. We can easily manage without hotbar connected to backpack items, I feel it only hinders good gameplay as it is now. Really it just robs us from a lot of cool situations, the risk of a hold-up most of the time now isn't worth it and we just end up killing on sight in stead. The common way I do it these days is if I get the opportunity to shoot a guy in the head with a 9mm so he goes uncon (yeah.. but only if he doesn't have a helmet, lol), and that's just shitty.

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

Wow. Because I can't tell you how many stress situations I've been in during fast looting when all of a sudden I could not put an item from hands back to its place, because that slot has been taken by random loot. I'm really curious how does your fat looting look like, if you're having this issue. I just press take action and move on.  

For example, I have a izh-18 rifle in my hands and a fire axe on my back, I kill a guy that has a M4 and I just quickly want to snag up the m4 and run away before his two buddies sprays me down. I cannot do this because my izh is locked on my back slot. This is just one example, it bothered me the whole time i played 1.06 exp. I do not want to get rid of this feature from the game, I just want the option to disable it for myself. Personally I loved the way it was in 0.62, if you stood there with an item in your hands and no inventory space for it and you needed to pull your gun out, the item in your hands simply dropped to the ground and you pulled your gun out. I lost a few items here and there, but it sure beats dying from items stuck in your hands as you describe or slow inventory management as the new system forces. But whatever, it isn't game breaking just annoying to me.

Edited by TAMW

17 minutes ago, TAMW said:

For example, I have a izh-18 rifle in my hands and a fire axe on my back, I kill a guy that has a M4 and I just quickly want to snag up the m4 and run away before his two buddies sprays me down. I cannot do this because my izh is locked on my back slot. This is just one example, it bothered me the whole time i played 1.06 exp. I do not want to get rid of this feature from the game, I just want the option to disable it for myself. Personally I loved the way it was in 0.62, if you stood there with an item in your hands and no inventory space for it and you needed to pull your gun out, the item in your hands simply dropped to the ground and you pulled your gun out. I lost a few items here and there, but it sure beats dying from items stuck in your hands as you describe or slow inventory management as the new system forces. But whatever, it isn't game breaking just annoying to me.

I see. yeah the 0.62 mechanics game me so much pain, was losing axe all the time because of stupid long sticks that went to the shoulder slot without asking 😄 Hopefully what Greensek says can help you. 

Hello Survivors,

We released an update for the Experimental Servers with some tweaks and fixes.

Please, see below:

GAME Update 1.06.152829 (28.11.2019)

FIXED

• Fixed: A server error related to the swapping of items

First post updated.

Thank you, 

Greensek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

25 minutes ago, Greensek said:

FIXED

• Fixed: A server error related to the swapping of items

Sweet! Will hop on in a couple of hours and give this a good testing. How about the weird client freezes? Any info on that?

2 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Sweet! Will hop on in a couple of hours and give this a good testing. How about the weird client freezes? Any info on that?

Can you be more specific?

12 minutes ago, Greensek said:

Can you be more specific?

Yeah, sorry: In the last few experimental builds I have had severe lag spikes, where the whole game freezes for a few seconds, sometimes ten or more. These do not happen in stable 1.05, nor did it happen in the Livonia beta, so it is something new to the last few builds.

Feedback ticket: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146669

If it would help I have video of a couple of cases saved back home, it takes a while to upload and I haven't noticed any pattern of actions on my part to reproduce, so I chose not to do that yet. Note that I will not be able to test this latest exp until later tonight.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Yeah, sorry: In the last few experimental builds I have had severe lag spikes, where the whole game freezes for a few seconds, sometimes ten or more. These do not happen in stable 1.05, nor did it happen in the Livonia beta, so it is something new to the last few builds.

Feedback ticket: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146669

If it would help I have video of a couple of cases saved back home, it takes a while to upload and I haven't noticed any pattern of actions on my part to reproduce, so I chose not to do that yet.

No need for video.

We are investigating, thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TAMW said:

did not mean realistic, I never want realism to hinder good gameplay. But you did read what I wrote, and if you play the game on a regular you know we have 2 shoulder slots, and massive inventory space in even just regular clothing.. We can easily manage without hotbar connected to backpack items, I feel it only hinders good gameplay as it is now. Really it just robs us from a lot of cool situations, the risk of a hold-up most of the time now isn't worth it and we just end up killing on sight in stead.

The arguments to compartmentalize item slots seem weak to me.  Doing it for reasons to favor 'better' combat situations over other gameplay elements seems narrow to me.  This is where I point towards people who prefer to avoid combat and want a 'hardcore survival' experience.  I don't think it hiners good gameplay at all.  In fact, I think it encourages better gameplay as you actually have to plan ahead and cant just react to combat situations right as they arise.  

The example of hold-ups is garbage.  Hold-ups don't reflect reality in any way and is completely unrealistic and unauthentic.   There are no moral consequences,  it's a huge waste of everyone's time.  Whenever you're bored of being held up and/or tortured you simply log off and respawn.  Nowhere even close to authentic.  So, the argument to authenticity with item slots or how fast you can pull out a weapon is completely dwarfed by the fact that this will always be a video game and the situations you encounter are pretty far from reality, which is what this suggestion of compartmentilization is based off of.

Lastly, don't ruin the game by introducing more reasons to necessitate inventory management.  This is exactly what the developers have tried to get rid of.  They want you in your inventory panel as little as possible.  Be prepared and you won't run in to the problems associated with being unprepared.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

The arguments to compartmentalize item slots seem weak to me.  Doing it for reasons to favor 'better' combat situations over other gameplay elements seems narrow to me.  This is where I point towards people who prefer to avoid combat and want a 'hardcore survival' experience.  I don't think it hiners good gameplay at all.  In fact, I think it encourages better gameplay as you actually have to plan ahead and cant just react to combat situations right as they arise.  

The example of hold-ups is garbage.  Hold-ups don't reflect reality in any way and is completely unrealistic and unauthentic.   There are no moral consequences,  it's a huge waste of everyone's time.  Whenever you're bored of being held up and/or tortured you simply log off and respawn.  Nowhere even close to authentic.  So, the argument to authenticity with item slots or how fast you can pull out a weapon is completely dwarfed by the fact that this will always be a video game and the situations you encounter are pretty far from reality, which is what this suggestion of compartmentilization is based off of.

Lastly, don't ruin the game by introducing more reasons to necessitate inventory management.  This is exactly what the developers have tried to get rid of.  They want you in your inventory panel as little as possible.  Be prepared and you won't run in to the problems associated with being unprepared.

Dude, I'm sorry but what you are saying makes no sense to me, at all. By plan ahead, you mean being able to instantly whip out a M4 from you backpack instead of grabbing it from your shoulder? That is just stupid.

First of all, pvp (not just combat, but all player encounters) is what makes this game so interesting in the first place, and making that good should always be a primary focus. You can still play the game how ever you want, and choose to avoid it. Making the environment a hardcore survival is only a plus, i'm not disagreeing at all on that.

The example of holdups is far from garbage, it's a part of the game, and how well it goes for you, has a lot to do with how you choose to react. Holdups can feel like a waste of time, but they can also make for amazingly awesome situations.  I understand it can be frustrating, and people can be assholes but this IS a part of the game. If you don't want to risk being bored or "tortured" in a holdup, you can simply choose to defend yourself. Or as you suggested yourself, avoid encounters and combat. This has nothing to do with reality or trying to be authentic to a real life situation. You talk about being prepared so just prepare yourself then. No one is forcing you to do any inventory management if you don't want to.

I only want to remove the ability to hotbar items in the backpack, this do not fucking ruin the damn game. On the contrary, it makes us have to think and prioritize, and not being able to cheese our way out of a situation just because it isn't going our way. We shouldn't be able to look unarmed and in a split second teleport a M4 to our hands.

Talk about ruining the game, I think being able to fix everything with ducktape devalues all the cleaning and sewing kits and dulls the experience of having to search/loot.. I think having enough inventory space in a jacket to carry a full size shotgun or mosin and a mp5 in the pants completely takes away the need to prioritize, and even the need for a backpack.

You say you want hardcore, you think being given this much of a crutch is in any way hardcore? Keep in mind we used to only being able to fit a mp5 or a pistolgrip shotgun as the biggest item in the backpack, which I thought of as reasonable for the actual size of the backpack, except for alice or mountain.

• Beans 1

On a 1.06 experimental note, I still struggled to pick up items by pressing F or double clicking them, a lot of the time I had to drag to hands first.

I didn't experience any bugged weapon, tho didn't get to test this much. It also didn't rain strangely enough, so didn't get to check if the fireplaces worked better, or the rain clothes.

Okay, I get the feeling that we want similar experiences out of DayZ but vary in opinion over some things.   And that's fine.

1 hour ago, TAMW said:

You say you want hardcore, you think being given this much of a crutch is in any way hardcore? Keep in mind we used to only being able to fit a mp5 or a pistolgrip shotgun as the biggest item in the backpack, which I thought of as reasonable for the actual size of the backpack, except for alice or mountain.

Well, my stance on hardcore survival hasn't changed, for the last five years I've argued that hardcore survival is impossible, due to the nature of the game.  If you mean hardcore PVP then this isn't the best arena for that experience.  

2 hours ago, TAMW said:

Holdups can feel like a waste of time, but they can also make for amazingly awesome situations.

Holdups and torture are garbage.  There are no moral consequences for anything you do in DayZ.  Permadeath isn't a thing because permanent storage is available on day zero.  No one really has anything to lose at a holdup.   When it's not fun, just relog and start over.  The loss is pretty insignificant, regardless of your gear.  I have a number of hours into DayZ and I've yet to see any kind of hold-up situation that is actually legitimate.

2 hours ago, TAMW said:

We shouldn't be able to look unarmed and in a split second teleport a M4 to our hands.

Here's the real problem.  Anyone that would pose an actual threat knows well enough that people will try to look harmless.  This isn't some secret tech you got here.  People who are a threat to you will always assume that you have a firearm, regardless if there appears to be one on your back.  The hotbar thing comes down to convenience.  If we make the change that you suggest it will only make me spend more time at the inventory screen.

Holistically, there are other things that un-balance the game so much more than this 'issue'. 

7 hours ago, Greensek said:

No need for video.

We are investigating, thanks 🙂

I've played about three hours on the UK 0-4 server tonight:

• I did not get the freeze lag spike once. I believe the server was low pop the whole time though, which might have something to do with that, but on the other hand I got the freezes on a nearly empty 3PP server yesterday, so definitely seems to have disappeared with today's update. Good!
  • However, there is still periodically the problem where you cannot pick items up with "F" but have to move them to hands first and then to your bags. This comes and goes though, I had it for 15-20 minutes first, then could play two hours without it happening again.
  • Moonlight still does not give enough illumination. The moonlight is barely reflected from any surfaces, making the moon seem more like a dead prop in the skybox than something that is actually providing light. Which it does, if you stand on a white surface you can see your shadow...
  • Lastly, please, remove the night light or at least disable it by default, at the very least on "hardcore" servers. First of all it is not necessary anymore, not with the general lighting improvements you've done since its implementation, plus it comes on even before the sun has gone down, making bright textures look really weird at dusk. It is ugly and unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Well, my stance on hardcore survival hasn't changed, for the last five years I've argued that hardcore survival is impossible, due to the nature of the game.

I think Livonia is proof that, while you're currently correct about that, it doesn't have to be this way.  I think the problem is most people don't want to play hardcore -- most want all de loots and all de guns right now.

It wouldn't happen on official servers probably, but with tweaks to the config files, community servers could be pretty hard core survival:

• Remove all loot from the infected
  • Reduce all sources of food (animals, cans, fruit, etc.) by a significant amount
  • Remove the majority of the wells and of the ones that remain, the water within is contaminated requiring you to loot something to clean it

I think with those changes, along with some of the 1.06 changes in terms of weather, you'd have hardcore survival.

But again, most will not want to play this way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I've played about three hours on the UK 0-4 server tonight:

• I did not get the freeze lag spike once. I believe the server was low pop the whole time though, which might have something to do with that, but on the other hand I got the freezes on a nearly empty 3PP server yesterday, so definitely seems to have disappeared with today's update. Good!
  • However, there is still periodically the problem where you cannot pick items up with "F" but have to move them to hands first and then to your bags. This comes and goes though, I had it for 15-20 minutes first, then could play two hours without it happening again.
  • Moonlight still does not give enough illumination. The moonlight is barely reflected from any surfaces, making the moon seem more like a dead prop in the skybox than something that is actually providing light. Which it does, if you stand on a white surface you can see your shadow...
  • Lastly, please, remove the night light or at least disable it by default, at the very least on "hardcore" servers. First of all it is not necessary anymore, not with the general lighting improvements you've done since its implementation, plus it comes on even before the sun has gone down, making bright textures look really weird at dusk. It is ugly and unnecessary.

I honestly like the way the moonlight is now, when its clear skies it lights the world up pretty well.

And I definitely agree on the personal night light, we have to get rid of that bullshit. I have not seen a single person use a flashlight inland since we got the PNL, only on the coast do people use chemlights and some rare occasions flashlights. It has pretty much ruined the chance of getting encounters during the night. Half the server leaves during night time anyway, I don't get why this is still a thing.

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

Holdups and torture are garbage.  There are no moral consequences for anything you do in DayZ.  Permadeath isn't a thing because permanent storage is available on day zero.  No one really has anything to lose at a holdup.   When it's not fun, just relog and start over.  The loss is pretty insignificant, regardless of your gear.  I have a number of hours into DayZ and I've yet to see any kind of hold-up situation that is actually legitimate.

Here's the real problem.  Anyone that would pose an actual threat knows well enough that people will try to look harmless.  This isn't some secret tech you got here.  People who are a threat to you will always assume that you have a firearm, regardless if there appears to be one on your back.  The hotbar thing comes down to convenience.  If we make the change that you suggest it will only make me spend more time at the inventory screen.

We have very different experiences with holdups then. I agree on the coast, people are mostly just power tripping and raising hell with people, and I almost never deal with their bullshit when they try robbing me in my starter gear (ffs?). I have only once been "tortured" and that was on a russian server.. In elektro. By some russian streamers. They fed me human meat and gasoline, and ended with someone coming along and killing us all. Was pretty funny tbh.

However, inland is a totally different story. Usually it is just a quick robbery, and if there is no obvious lying or thrash talk, that's it, everybody lives and sometimes even on a little trade.. I have both been held up and held people up I've ended up teaming up with. I have tried hostage rescue situations (failed and succeeded). And even been ambushed by a different squad when holding someone up, getting killed in an awesome firefight.

If you keep an open mind/good attitude during these situations, a lot of cool stuff can happen, believe me.

And that is my problem with the shotgun in the backpack that gets whipped out in 0.2 seconds.. As it is now, you can seemingly have given yourself up, and then just tap the key and blast them while in the middle of "dropping your gear" etc. It's just too cheap, and totally ruins the possibility of what i've described above. Either the fear of it happening, or it actually happening just ends these situation in a boring kill or death, instead of something memorable.

That's just my opinion on the subject, and I will happily give up the convenience of hotbaring backpack items because of this. I'll also mention, the situations I described has been on 1pp community servers: Runningmanz, The village, Oldschool Hardcore, Dayz Underground.. Not on official, except for a couple times. And I never play 3pp, so there's that.

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, TAMW said:

I honestly like the way the moonlight is now, when its clear skies it lights the world up pretty well.

It has definitely improved a lot, but it is still not quite there, the ground absorbs nearly all moonlight in an unnatural way and there is little or no reflection from surfaces you would expect it from. Metallic weapon parts, rain coats and so on. These things were actually pretty much perfect before the anti-gamma system came with 1.0, which makes it very frustrating. I'll post some old screenshots later to show what I mean.

As for the shotgun in the backpack, the whole idea of being able to saw off a shotty, BK-18 or Mosin is defeated by this, there is just no need when you can shove the complete gun down your backpack and have it magically out in a second. That is not 'convenience', it is just stupid. Dividing clothes into compartments by pockets would cause too much inventory Tetris, I will admit that, but items in backpacks must be blocked from the hotbar. It is a gameplay balance issue, heck I would even call it a bug.

Edited by Derleth

7 hours ago, TAMW said:

And I definitely agree on the personal night light, we have to get rid of that bullshit. I have not seen a single person use a flashlight inland since we got the PNL, only on the coast do people use chemlights and some rare occasions flashlights. It has pretty much ruined the chance of getting encounters during the night. Half the server leaves during night time anyway, I don't get why this is still a thing.

I pretty much like to second that. an artificial light source should be a great benefit if you have one. in therms of orientation and finding stuff to loot. when there in none u should have not really a chance to find loot on the ground. you should only be able to see silouetes of things standing around you, for example bushes, to create a pointed stick and stuff.

so it would be crucial to have a light source. and you should be able to spot an other light source as far as you can see. so that would be a pretty good setting for some nice player ancounters.

im not sure about how the Zeds should be reacting, in terms of distance, to light sources. maybe they should not be able to aggro on them. but more slowly gather on them like moths. or little childs around a well litten christmast tree. And only when they see then a player in the actual light, they aggro.

maybe some top loot should only be available at night. all them fancy rifles. and you had to tease the zeds out of bases with light. idk.

im just thinking out loud.

Edited by MathTheRender
  • Like 1