Greensek

Experimental Update 1.06

36 minutes ago, Parazight said:

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

Oh hey there Mr Bear! Could he attack you in the car? Wolves do that, gotta keep moving fast if you're in a car when they come...

On 12/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Derleth said:

Thanks for the reply. 🙂 I know SimulWeather was removed due to the server performance "cost" it had, which happened in 1.02 if I remember correctly, but what I don't understand is why and how the current cloud model cannot be tweaked to look better at night. Currently it does look absolutely awful I'm afraid, and to be perfectly honest I think it should be a priority thing, presentation is important.

As for moonlight, what I'm hoping for is a proper interaction between ambient brightness and moon phases & overcast values. That is, with clear skies and moon you'd get a fairly bright night with illuminated ground but dark shadows (as in the 0.63 screenshot), while a rainy moonless night would be pitch black and force us to bring out the light sources - and a dynamic scale in between the extremes. The personal night light should be deleted forever and buried in the "forget-we-ever-tried-this" bin. 😉

As for the 1.06 experimental I believe it is in a good place, provided you can get the picking up, swapping and drag & drop inventory thing fixed. 

Dude, lets face it; the real reason servers can't handle pretty weather effects comes down to the fact the developers refuse to make it use more than 1 core! the only multi-core part of servers are extremely minimal, CPU utilization of servers is so severely low and mostly only benefited from single core servers which are not exactly the standard; if anyone out there hears me even slightly in ties with development, please tell them, make the damn servers properly support multi-core for all parts of the servers load, doing so would mean you don't have to cripple your own game to make it 'passable'

59 minutes ago, TheRealLeetbus said:

Dude, lets face it; the real reason servers can't handle pretty weather effects comes down to the fact the developers refuse to make it use more than 1 core! the only multi-core part of servers are extremely minimal, CPU utilization of servers is so severely low and mostly only benefited from single core servers which are not exactly the standard; if anyone out there hears me even slightly in ties with development, please tell them, make the damn servers properly support multi-core for all parts of the servers load, doing so would mean you don't have to cripple your own game to make it 'passable'

And the game itself as well. If this is the new engine for new Arma, it better has multicore and multithread support.

7 hours ago, drgullen said:

@Greensek

I really don't get it.  On the one hand, thanks for the patch and for fixing whatever it fixed, but for the love of God, everyone is struggling with this inventory bug and not only does this patch not fix it, but there's no "Known Issues" even mentioning it.  Please tell us it's actually being worked on...is it?

I've died several times now fucking around with inventory glitches...it's getting old fast.

We are aware and working on it.

Some things just take more time, but we are trying our best to release a fix soon.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, Greensek said:

We are aware and working on it.

Some things just take more time, but we are trying our best to release a fix soon.

Well yes that is true, but this bug was introduced with the latest patch, this shows there was not adequate experimental testing and offline testing by development, the inventory bug is so prevalent that you would have to have less than 5 minutes gameplay time of the new patch to not know about it, permanent changes were made to the game, that break a core mechanic once again instead of making sure it doesn't break it before its added..

1 hour ago, Greensek said:

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

And the game itself as well. If this is the new engine for new Arma, it better has multicore and multithread support.

Thing is, its multi-core client side and you get decent frames clientside , but server-side the thing that manages most of the "tasks" the game engine must perform, is bound to a single core

27 minutes ago, TheRealLeetbus said:

Thing is, its multi-core client side and you get decent frames clientside , but server-side the thing that manages most of the "tasks" the game engine must perform, is bound to a single core

Oh I get that, the client however still has to do some work. BTW I just recently I exchanged my CPU and there is no change in performance whatsoever in DayZ 🙂

20 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Oh I get that, the client however still has to do some work. BTW I just recently I exchanged my CPU and there is no change in performance whatsoever in DayZ 🙂

If you want to server use more than one core, specify in the server parameters:

in server.cfg
multithreadedReplication = 1;

in dayzsetting.xml (example for use 3 cores)

<jobsystem globalqueue="4096" threadqueue="1024">
        <pc maxcores="4" reservedcores="1" />
        <ps4 threadcount="4" />
        <xb1 threadcount="4" />

if host have 8 cores cpu

<jobsystem globalqueue="8192" threadqueue="2048">
        <pc maxcores="8" reservedcores="1" />
        <ps4 threadcount="4" />
        <xb1 threadcount="4" />

1 hour ago, TheRealLeetbus said:

Well yes that is true, but this bug was introduced with the latest patch, this shows there was not adequate experimental testing and offline testing by development, the inventory bug is so prevalent that you would have to have less than 5 minutes gameplay time of the new patch to not know about it, permanent changes were made to the game, that break a core mechanic once again instead of making sure it doesn't break it before its added..

Well actually the bug was spotted and reported pretty much instantly upon launch of experimental 1.06. The patch was just pushed to Stable before a fix was ready, if I allow myself to speculate that was because of Livonia. They simply couldn't postpone that, so this issue was passed on to be hotfixed. Same with the R to swap mag desync issue, it was spotted within an hour of 1.05 exp going live and is still happening.

• Beans 1

The magazine desync issue has been around, but I just got plagued by it on 3 different rifles in a row! So to me, it feels like the update has increased the issue, if anything. It feels terrible that every time I log onto the server, I have to run thru what feels like a 3 minute drill of dragging the "ghost-mag" to my hotbar, then switch that "ghost-mag" to my hands, drop it to my vicinity, and then take the rifle back into my hands and then load with a different mag from my inventory! This is such a strange thing to have to do each and every time I log onto a server. It just should not happen in a released game.

Same with the inventory issue, to grab anything you find that you want, you can't just hit F, you have to drag to hands, then drag to inventory.

I will be so happy when these issues have been addressed and resolved.

Edited by RuffZ
  • Beans 2

I don't often complain, but the bug of damaged items really irks me.  I spent 10+ hours collecting the items needed for a full ghillie....and now it's badly damaged.  From pristine.....to....that 😞

1 minute ago, Dafez said:

I don't often complain, but the bug of damaged items really irks me.  I spent 10+ hours collecting the items needed for a full ghillie....and now it's badly damaged.  From pristine.....to....that 😞

That wasn't a bug. Item health was re-balanced, and affected items retroactively.  

• Beans 1

24 minutes ago, Dafez said:

They weren't actually damaged, it's just that their maximum "health" was raised substantially. That did not boost the current health of any object already existing in the database though, these kept the health value they had before the patch, so relative to its new maximum value your ghillie is "damaged" but it has not actually taken any damage. Just repair it with whatever item that does the job, it won't happen to any new things you craft.

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, Derleth said:

Oh hey there Mr Bear! Could he attack you in the car? Wolves do that, gotta keep moving fast if you're in a car when they come...

The bear kept running into the car, which was stopped, until it died.

13 minutes ago, Parazight said:

So thats how you kill that little bugger without ammo waste. My last encounter with our new furry friend ended up with him tanking 8 SVD shots straight in his head...but his meat is delicious.

15 minutes ago, Parazight said:

The car or the bear? 😀

10 hours ago, Dafez said:

I had the opposite of that. I had a jacket that was damaged. I repaired it with duct tape and it became pristine! :)

6 hours ago, Parazight said:

until it died.

The car or the bear?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Zed said:

The car or the bear?

10 hours ago, McWendy said:

The car or the bear? 😀

The car was running, but at 0 km/h, and in second gear.  The bear collided with the car and took damage.  The bear repeated this.  It looked like the vehicle held aggro.  The bear died on top of the car.  The two people in the car took no damage and the car took no damage.  

I think this is the correct balance.  We don't want animals damaging cars.  Until bear AI is finely honed and game physics bugs are all worked out, the current set-up is ideal.  We don't want to be taking damage ourselves and we don't want animals ruining our cars until all the game's bugs are worked out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

The car was running, but at 0 km/h, and in second gear.  The bear collided with the car and took damage.  The bear repeated this.  It looked like the vehicle held aggro.  The bear died on top of the car.  The two people in the car took no damage and the car took no damage.  

I think this is the correct balance.  We don't want animals damaging cars.  Until bear AI is finely honed and game physics bugs are all worked out, the current set-up is ideal.  We don't want to be taking damage ourselves and we don't want animals ruining our cars until all the game's bugs are worked out.

Does that thing where if the sound of a car aggros zombies, they just kind of clump up beside it and never lose aggro even if you're 3 meters away jogging back and forth? I've had that happen multiple times on 1.05 where they're like moths to a flame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

so, different to wolves then. When wolves last attacked me in a car (1.05), I took damage to my character.

It would be interesting to know if the car took/takes damage during such encounters

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

I kind of agree. The physics of car vs human/infected/animal "interaction" is pretty dodgy still, which is most likely the reason there is still no impact damage from running over live targets.

I am particularly annoyed by the way cars will hold aggro of infected even after you have shut off the engine and left the vehicle. This here incident shows how I can keep shooting infected who will temporarily come at me, only to be drawn back to my abandoned car like flies to a turd:

(That is not the only odd thing happening in this video, but the other vehicular oddities are well documented and memed to the point of being boring. I will not comment more on that...)

Pretty interesting though that infected aggroed to a car will stand passively next to it and ignore the players in it - often even if they leave the vehicle - while wolves will attack players as if the car does not even exist. And bears will apparently knock themselves silly on the car itself. Three different behaviours from three different AI:s. Devs have a bit of tweaking to do here.

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 1