Greensek

Experimental Update 1.06

3 hours ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

but you do understand that bow is way more complicated then a handgun?

Why? 

We had Both and they both worked fine.

If it ain't broke dont try to fix it. They did. We all know the results....

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

And again, I get that, it's just that people kinda seem to pop in like; is there a bow yet?! No? KTNXBYE. 

As a big fan of bows, I was surprised in a good way by the public outcry about them. I was sure that there's like, two of us players relying on archery. Bows give that 'stealthy bushman but still dangerous' vibe and constitute a great difference between this and other FPS titles. They also grant two perks - the ability to clear out zeds in a silent way (it's so much more immersive to dispose of zeds via arrows rather than punching with food cans) and to hunt - currently, everyone and their mother knows I shot a deer within some 3km. I used to down a full herd of cows near towns, knowing I only have to worry about people who see me, not those who can hear the gunshot. And once I managed to kill a pack of wolves with the bow. Ah, what a great time it was. If I could vote for a trivia feature, it would be a craftable wolf tooth necklace.

9 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Why? 

We had Both and they both worked fine.

If it ain't broke dont try to fix it. They did. We all know the results....

I believe that they need to rework the entire mechanics in the new engine as archery is basically 'throwing' arrows. I hope that when the bows come, they will work well enough (the first itinerations were very unreliable, later fixed in the old engine). At least, that's what I'm telling myself...

As far as I know, two types of bows are already in the game files. So "we get them when they're ready". 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

5 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

As far as I know, two types of bows are already in the game files. So "we get them when they're ready". 😄

Cant be fast enough imo 🤣

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, drgullen said:

@Greensek

Thanks for the update!

One question though: you say you've added the bear, but it's not spawning.  Can you elaborate on that for us please?  Is the bear broken in this patch?  Can Community Server owners turn it on if they want or will we have to wait for a subsequent update to spawn the bear?

It seemed to work fine in Livonia, so I'm just surprised that it's not spawning in Chernarus is all.

It says at the bottom of the patch notes "known issues: Sarka12, gunter and bears aren't spawning."

@Greensek

Thank you for your responses in this thread.  I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask in this thread but I am curious to know if there are any planned changes to the handheld transceivers in the game?  As far as I can tell they have remained unchanged since release yet not many players seem to find any incentive to use them.  Perhaps the static noise in the game could be adjusted lower to make the sound less abrasive to the player and other surrounding players or maybe the sound level of a pristine or worn walkie talkie could be lowered?  

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I know the effects of rain have been mentioned before. I would just mention in my experience the current set of effects is detrimental to playing the game. Sitting in a building waiting for it to stop is *not* fun and as rain applies an immediate deterioration of health not moving from shelter is the only means of controlling that. That's just dull.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aaronlands said:

@Greensek

Thank you for your responses in this thread.  I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask in this thread but I am curious to know if there are any planned changes to the handheld transceivers in the game?  As far as I can tell they have remained unchanged since release yet not many players seem to find any incentive to use them.  Perhaps the static noise in the game could be adjusted lower to make the sound less abrasive to the player and other surrounding players or maybe the sound level of a pristine or worn walkie talkie could be lowered?  

I toyed with radios and I would mention two problems: 1) the battery lasts only some 1,5 h and it's a chore to hunt for it (and I already use some for headtorches, rangefinders, scopes etc.) 2) the radio weighs 2kg, which is a lot if you just want to be on a 'lookout' for communications.

But yeah, the static noise level is a bit too loud, too.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I toyed with radios and I would mention two problems: 1) the battery lasts only some 1,5 h and it's a chore to hunt for it (and I already use some for headtorches, rangefinders, scopes etc.) 2) the radio weighs 2kg, which is a lot if you just want to be on a 'lookout' for communications.

But yeah, the static noise level is a bit too loud, too.

Yeah. First of all a real handheld vhf radio does not emit static noise constantly like the one in the game, all modern transceivers have something called "squelch" which is basically a filter to remove static without dampening actual transmissions. So, the only times you actually hear some static is just after you' or someone else has transmitted something, it's kind of a confirmation that your set is actually transmitting. Imho they should change the in game radio to behave the same way, i.e. no static just for being on but a short belch of static after transmitting something so you'll know that you are actually sending. Two quick pushes on the transmit button is often used as a "I heard you" message without the need to speak. One suggestion is to use static as damage indication if the radio has been damaged, pristine/worn - quiet, damaged - like now, badly damaged - loud static.

Normal weight of the in game radio is 1kg, but when drenched it is 3kgs. Now I'ld like to know where the feck those two litres of water went? 😛

Anyway, from a couple of hours on two different servers tonight I have made these observations:

1. Lag spike freezes still happen. Sometimes they last up to 10 seconds or more when everything is frozen. This is very disruptive and needs to be eliminated before stable. It does not happen in 1.05 stable nor did it happen in 1.06 Livonia, so it is something new to the last couple of builds.

2. I did not get any inventory/hands desync. On the other hand my exp characters are already geared, so I was mostly stalking people.

3. Sometimes the inventory will freeze when you tab to close it, lasts 1-2 seconds or so. Noticeable but not as disruptive as the full freeze of no 1.

4. The night light needs to be off by default. It comes on too early while it is still early twilight, making tree trunks and other bright textures look weird. It is just so ugly, and completely unnecessary too since the changes to moonlight and general nighttime lighting. 

Edited by Derleth

Maybe they need another new engine. I propose a DayZ mod for RDR2! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

Yeah. First of all a real handheld vhf radio does not emit static noise constantly like the one in the game, all modern transceivers have something called "squelch" which is basically a filter to remove static without dampening actual transmissions. So, the only times you actually hear some static is just after you' or someone else has transmitted something, it's kind of a confirmation that your set is actually transmitting. Imho they should change the in game radio to behave the same way, i.e. no static just for being on but a short belch of static after transmitting something so you'll know that you are actually sending. Two quick pushes on the transmit button is often used as a "I heard you" message without the need to speak. One suggestion is to use static as damage indication if the radio has been damaged, pristine/worn - quiet, damaged - like now, badly damaged - loud static.

Normal weight of the in game radio is 1kg, but when drenched it is 3kgs. Now I'ld like to know where the feck those two litres of water went? 😛

Anyway, from a couple of hours on two different servers tonight I have made these observations:

1. Lag spike freezes still happen. Sometimes they last up to 10 seconds or more when everything is frozen. This is very disruptive and needs to be eliminated before stable. It does not happen in 1.05 stable nor did it happen in 1.06 Livonia, so it is something new to the last couple of builds.

2. I did not get any inventory/hands desync. On the other hand my exp characters are already geared, so I was mostly stalking people.

3. Sometimes the inventory will freeze when you tab to close it, lasts 1-2 seconds or so. Noticeable but not as disruptive as the full freeze of no 1.

4. The night light needs to be off by default. It comes on too early while it is still early twilight, making tree trunks and other bright textures look weird. It is just so ugly, and completely unnecessary too since the changes to moonlight and general nighttime lighting. 

Stutters happen because of your RAM and HDD... You probably have 8gb ram and HDD and i have 8gb ram and SSD... The game is on SSD well the stable.. But exp is on HDD but... My pagefile/Virtual memory is set on the SSD.. That's essentially windows using your HDD/SSD as RAM because there is no enough RAM and it is also used to offload the RAM like example it loads google chrome to pagefile and releases the RAM for the game to use.. So 8gb ram + HDD and also pagefile set on HDD is just horrible.. When i upgraded to SSD and switched pagefile to it stutters disappeared... While now when i run experimental that is on HDD... I get stutters when i go into large towns.. And drive... Because it's so slow and need to wait for it to load assets/buildings... I don't get that on SSD tho.. And that's with my pagefile set on SSD... And ya know SSD is super fast it's almost like RAM it's much slower then RAM but also billion time faster then HDD.. I also got a huuuuuuge stutter reduction if not eradication in the game Rust which uses a ton of RAM like you need 16gb to not stutter... 10gb is the minimum while 8gb is the bare minimum... Just saying.. I don't get stutters like you do because my pagefile/virtual memory is set on SSD 🙂

@KajMak64Bit2 No, like I said in my post I have no stutters on Stable 1.05 or any other exp build before this one and the one before. This is something new that has nothing to do with client side system specs.

My rig is a fairly competent one, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, Geforce 1070. I never have stutters anywhere on Stable, even when fighting the absurd hordes of infected I have on my server.

Edited by Derleth
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Zed said:

Maybe they need another new engine. I propose a DayZ mod for RDR2! 🙂

Well, DayZ on that engine is a wet dream of mine... 

I was playing for like 2-3 hours and I suggest two minor things:
- Implement a radio effect when talking just similar to the one when you wear a motorbike helmet/mask or are gagged.
- When you have light blue temperature, health does not drop but when yellow it does drop. I suggest that does not drop when yellow either so it works just as an advise to cool down.

Other than that didn't find bugs, and even I met a nice guy who just had builded a car and we drove for some kilometres and went very smooth. Maybe there was not many people playing in the server at that moment.

Keep it up!

On 11/25/2019 at 4:35 AM, TAMW said:

It's very sad that this is the current state of official vanilla, because one of my favorite things in dayz is teaming up with a random on the coast and go on a adventure through the map using only ingame voip and no backup comms over steam etc, so when we die, we die, end of adventure.

You are NOT alone, my man!

This is one of the coolest ways to experience DayZ....Absolutely in agreement with you!

• Like 3
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, Derleth said:

@KajMak64Bit2 No, like I said in my post I have no stutters on Stable 1.05 or any other exp build before this one and the one before. This is something new that has nothing to do with client side system specs.

My rig is a fairly competent one, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, Geforce 1070. I never have stutters anywhere on Stable, even when fighting the absurd hordes of infected I have on my server.

huh... weird... i think i get no stutters? except those caused by obvious HDD because my Exp is on HDD

in my personal opinion it sounds like a you problem but not sure maybe it is the game? 

2 hours ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

huh... weird... i think i get no stutters? except those caused by obvious HDD because my Exp is on HDD

in my personal opinion it sounds like a you problem but not sure maybe it is the game? 

It is new to this build and I've seen more reports of it here and on the feedback tracker, very annoying in any case..

4 minutes ago, MathTheRender said:

i had more of a light flickering over all close to sundown. sort of a stroboskope effect. it was most dramatic 😄

You ate rotten mushrooms again? Break out the light sticks 😄 
In general I actually noticed that this is better in 1.06 and even current 1.05. It used to be very much flicker, because of the stupid gradient effect as if the sky was in 8bits color palette. But this is exactly the issue with 1.06 build, some old bugs/glitches are randomly appearing again. One time I got the bug again where my character would strafe to one side, it started after picking up a gun, continued after I died with another fresh spawn and stopped when I unpacked a box of shotgun ammo. No mushrooms involved officer, I swear.

Experimental is apparently over, so looks like we're getting stable soon.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Zed said:

Experimental is apparently over, so looks like we're getting stable soon.

Won't be driving any cars for some time then, until those freezes are hotfixed away. This exp was nowhere near ready for stable.

1 minute ago, Derleth said:

Won't be driving any cars for some time then, until those freezes are hotfixed away. This exp was nowhere near ready for stable.

I haven't driven cars for a long time. They've been flying around, well... since always.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Zed said:

I haven't driven cars for a long time. They've been flying around, well... since always.

Yeah but well that is easy to control on your own server, keep population low - no performance issues - and max ping around 400 so peeps on too unstable connections will be booted before they mess up the sync - cars stay on the ground!

But these random hiccups appear out of nowhere for no apparent reason, they will be major killers. If it stays as bad as it was on exp last night I'll probably let the game rest until it is fixed. Can't trust to survive any zombie encounter when the game can suddenly freeze for 10 seconds or more...

2 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Yeah but well that is easy to control on your own server, keep population low - no performance issues - and max ping around 400 so peeps on too unstable connections will be booted before they mess up the sync - cars stay on the ground!

But these random hiccups appear out of nowhere for no apparent reason, they will be major killers. If it stays as bad as it was on exp last night I'll probably let the game rest until it is fixed. Can't trust to survive any zombie encounter when the game can suddenly freeze for 10 seconds or more...

What they need is a new engine specially made just for DayZ... oh wait, that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

Another Exp update. I guess it turns out they're NOT ready to release the update....

• Like 2