Jump to content
kopo79

the real hardcore survival server

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LucianX said:

Two players in dayz, they walk together in a thunderstorm and cold weather. One say: "It's raining...", the other "Mhm." And they continue walking... Examples are more...

Two players in dayz, they walk together in a thunderstorm and cold weather. One say: "It's raining...", the other "Mhm." And a bullet goes through his head from a sniper 400 meters away. He's dead before he knows why and the first is running full out for cover in the rain trying to work out which direction the bloody shot came from ... Examples are more...

2 hours ago, LucianX said:

If you don't get the point it's ok. I don't care.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big part of DayZ is creating your own challenges.

Just because you may find lots of food and weapons in houses and on zombies doesn’t mean you have to take it.. Try creating handicaps for yourself if you’d like a tougher experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

but WHAT KIND of quest or programmed objective could you have in DayZ seriously ?

I kinda with they would have more environmental narrative type flavor in the map added as dynamic events.  Like little scripted scavenger hunts.  It would take a little event trigger scripting to make it viable, but I think it would be cool to see.

For instance, make desk drawers searchable, and have the possibility to spawn a note as the beginning to a scripted quest.  These notes can be found anywhere from homes, to businesses, to military and police structures; and be correspondence between family members, friends, colleagues, or even between civilians and emergency services.
The notes would contain information to send the player looking for a specific item in another area of the map, triggered only by the player holding the note coming within a few hundred meters of the target location.

Oftentimes, these could work by having the first note say something like:
"My dearest Irina, I have been called away to Novigrad to assist in blockading the port during this crisis.  My colleague, Pavel, has agreed to ensure you get a package I have prepared, to help you weather this crisis at home.  He is the mill operator in Gorka.  With all my love, I shall return.  Andrik."

So the player treks to Gorka, assuming the blood stains on the floor in the house containing the note are a good indication that Irina didn't make it.  Upon reaching the mill, the player would have to either search the mill for another note containing Andrik's instructions to Pavel, or kill all the zombies in the area and loot the note off the one designated as Pavel.  Pavel's note might be Andrik's instructions for where to pick up the package, or a draft of confirmation to either Andrik or Irina, explaining that he has the package, and has left it at X location, to be delivered after his shift.

In this case, Pavel's note was in his desk, addressed to Andrik.  "Andrik, I have taken the package from your locker and stored it in my van.  I had stopped at the market in Svergino on my way to deliver it, when they declared an emergency.  There was a mob forming at the market, and I was recalled to the mill immediately to process all of our stock for emergency preparations in Berezino.  I am so sorry.  Please tell Irina she can take the package from my van if she can make it; it's on the west side of the lot at the market in Svergino.  But tell her to be careful, some of those people were crazed.  I fear I would not have made it out of Svergino if it weren't for Damir seeing me while driving his lumber truck back down from the Nagornoe cuts.  He had to drive through a section of fence to get to me.  I'm just thankful that I left my radio on my vest after today's shift."

Show up in Svergino with Pavel's note, and find that a van in the lot now has a drysack with a loaded magnum, speedloader, and 2 boxes of bullets, as well as a water bottle, a can of peaches, and three cans of tuna.

 

These scenarios are endless, relatively easy to make up, and would add a lot of backstory to the outbreak, as well as provide believable motivation for players to travel to certain areas for rewards.  In the case of KOS instances, you may loot a player and find yourself on the last leg of a quest as a bonus.

 

Now, I know this isn't exactly what makes a hardcore experience, but it would be a nice flavor feature in the midst of one.  And I feel that this scenario appropriately addressed your question, without the use of any new NPCs or serious deus ex-machina aside from the conditional spawn of non-primary clues and rewards.

  • Beans 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds neat but wildly ambitious at this point. I think we’ll be lucky to have the game we had 2 years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will never be a true "hardcore server" because everyone version of hardcore is so different.  Something came to me last night after a nice bowl of BC's finest.  What if loot was very rare and the infected were a lot harder to kill.  With the loot being rare and the infected being harder we could move certain  loot drops to the infected for a chance of finding the item you need, aka food, bullets, medicine etc.  Drasticaljy searched every military base for your precious m4 but cant find one but you see a horde or military infected, maybe one of them has one.  Need food but cant find any, maybe farmer Jim-Bob has a can of beans on him.  Just something that came across my mind

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Beans 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you make a real madness with very simple server demodding: HorrorZmod that's every day has a new loot default (eg types.xml and Infected-loot) you make 9 types.xml with the property where there are things that are very rare or even complete missing, and on the other hand are things that were not found yesterday suddenly moderate or frequent ..... that is then only for 1 day .... today 2 cans ... it could last for 3 days be the one you find ...

(And play with the Tier1234 Zones in types.xml.. one time all Tier4 are empty with weapons... and Tier1 have the big sales 😉 ).

The Limit are only your Fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

little updated in first post...added some mods what could really add some survival.
 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, emuthreat said:

... Like little scripted scavenger hunts.  It would take a little event trigger scripting to make it viable, but I think it would be cool to see....

Somewhat related, I posted in a status report last June the question of dynamic units/events and the possibility of expanding upon them.  I didn't get an answer.  Perhaps something like the Barkley Marathons is close to what you're looking for.  In short, it's an epic marathon and contestants collect notes on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, kopo79 said:


less inventory on clothes also would be needed because i can put cooking pot in my jeans.


 

You can also modify the size of the object so that it can not be placed in the inventory of pants or jackets.

Also in this way you can also only put in certain backpacks.

2DAA2BC3496F0E962B8606356621AB2DA5F54E00

These objects occupy 2 more holes than the original.

Original Cooking Pot 12 holes in the image 14 but it keeps its inner inventory intact, what is done is to change the distribution of the holes in vertical

Edited by NTX_Nitrix
I forgot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parazight said:

Somewhat related, I posted in a status report last June the question of dynamic units/events and the possibility of expanding upon them.  I didn't get an answer.  Perhaps something like the Barkley Marathons is close to what you're looking for.  In short, it's an epic marathon and contestants collect notes on the way.

Somehow, I heard about that recently; probably from a Simon Whistler YT video...

DayZCore was a somewhat short-lived hardcore server that did pretty well with increased scarcity, and they would have airdropped aid packages with the location broadcast as a server message, which was neat.

But we're getting kinda off-topic here, with discussion of scripted events.  I just thought that a really hardcore server could keep things interesting by having some sort of events for players to seek out as part of the daily grind.
A really hardcore server would end up playing pretty tedious without something to keep players moving.  Without bow and arrow, it really just turns into a slow crawl from house to house, playing resource/risk management.

  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Somehow, I heard about that recently; probably from a Simon Whistler YT video...

DayZCore was a somewhat short-lived hardcore server that did pretty well with increased scarcity, and they would have airdropped aid packages with the location broadcast as a server message, which was neat.

But we're getting kinda off-topic here, with discussion of scripted events.  I just thought that a really hardcore server could keep things interesting by having some sort of events for players to seek out as part of the daily grind.
A really hardcore server would end up playing pretty tedious without something to keep players moving.  Without bow and arrow, it really just turns into a slow crawl from house to house, playing resource/risk management.

Scripted events would bring more variety in chernarus but first we need to make players to make their quests,collecting medice,better clothes,find gun and food ,seeking place to be but everything like this is done in 30 minutes.im glad to see that few servers try to do something hardcore but then there is another problem...no players!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:08 AM, emuthreat said:

I kinda with they would have more environmental narrative type flavor in the map added as dynamic events.  Like little scripted scavenger hunts.  It would take a little event trigger scripting to make it viable, but I think it would be cool to see.

For instance, make desk drawers searchable, and have the possibility to spawn a note as the beginning to a scripted quest.  These notes can be found anywhere from homes, to businesses, to military and police structures; and be correspondence between family members, friends, colleagues, or even between civilians and emergency services.
The notes would contain information to send the player looking for a specific item in another area of the map, triggered only by the player holding the note coming within a few hundred meters of the target location.

Oftentimes, these could work by having the first note say something like:
"My dearest Irina, I have been called away to Novigrad to assist in blockading the port during this crisis.  My colleague, Pavel, has agreed to ensure you get a package I have prepared, to help you weather this crisis at home.  He is the mill operator in Gorka.  With all my love, I shall return.  Andrik."

So the player treks to Gorka, assuming the blood stains on the floor in the house containing the note are a good indication that Irina didn't make it.  Upon reaching the mill, the player would have to either search the mill for another note containing Andrik's instructions to Pavel, or kill all the zombies in the area and loot the note off the one designated as Pavel.  Pavel's note might be Andrik's instructions for where to pick up the package, or a draft of confirmation to either Andrik or Irina, explaining that he has the package, and has left it at X location, to be delivered after his shift.

In this case, Pavel's note was in his desk, addressed to Andrik.  "Andrik, I have taken the package from your locker and stored it in my van.  I had stopped at the market in Svergino on my way to deliver it, when they declared an emergency.  There was a mob forming at the market, and I was recalled to the mill immediately to process all of our stock for emergency preparations in Berezino.  I am so sorry.  Please tell Irina she can take the package from my van if she can make it; it's on the west side of the lot at the market in Svergino.  But tell her to be careful, some of those people were crazed.  I fear I would not have made it out of Svergino if it weren't for Damir seeing me while driving his lumber truck back down from the Nagornoe cuts.  He had to drive through a section of fence to get to me.  I'm just thankful that I left my radio on my vest after today's shift."

Show up in Svergino with Pavel's note, and find that a van in the lot now has a drysack with a loaded magnum, speedloader, and 2 boxes of bullets, as well as a water bottle, a can of peaches, and three cans of tuna.

 

These scenarios are endless, relatively easy to make up, and would add a lot of backstory to the outbreak, as well as provide believable motivation for players to travel to certain areas for rewards.  In the case of KOS instances, you may loot a player and find yourself on the last leg of a quest as a bonus.

 

Now, I know this isn't exactly what makes a hardcore experience, but it would be a nice flavor feature in the midst of one.  And I feel that this scenario appropriately addressed your question, without the use of any new NPCs or serious deus ex-machina aside from the conditional spawn of non-primary clues and rewards.

Tldr: please add missions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kopo79 said:

Scripted events would bring more variety in chernarus but first we need to make players to make their quests,collecting medice,better clothes,find gun and food ,seeking place to be but everything like this is done in 30 minutes.im glad to see that few servers try to do something hardcore but then there is another problem...no players!.

To be fair, on hardcore(ish) servers I don't give a flying toss if I'm totally alone, when the game puts up enough of a fight that is what I focus on, player interactions becomes something of marginal interest.

@Guy Smiley Glad to see that Dead by Dawn is back btw, will hop in later tonight. I've spent some time on OSG the last couple of days, among lots of loot fluff and other more or less unneeded mods they have tons of zeds and - first and foremost - reduced health and blood regeneration rates. This really turned the game around. He's still working on balancing loot, but the rich pickings didn't really matter since every scuffle with a zed sent my heart racing - because health was still yellow since my previous encounter. Pockets full of loot matters little when you've hidden in a shed with fifteen infected outside, screaming for your blood...

In the Workshop I found a Hypo- and Hyperthermia mod that seems to be broken judging by the comments, but surely someone can make one that works?

Hopefully the devs will get their act together soon and fix some of the survival issues, it's depressing when we need to look to mods to get a survival experience resembling what we had in 0.62.

Below I list the stuff I would personally like to see fixed/added back before more guns and vehicles:

  • Food poisoning
  • Hypo- and hyperthermia (when fixing this I hope to gawd they fix rain coats etc too so they actually work...)
  • Health and blood regeneration
  • Fractures
  • Bows

As for "quests" I don't really care for scripted missions and whatnot, I came to DayZ for the sandbox, there are tons of other games out there telling stories. Here, I'm just trying to survive as long as possible. Which brings me to the only thing I want along these lines:

Survivor statistics!

I want to see statistics pertaining to the currently selected character - time alive, distance traveled, food eaten, weapons looted, rounds fired, infected killed, animals killed, players killed, players skinned, players bandaged, players restrained etcetera etcetera. Basically any action that can be counted. That would be fun to see, and upon death my next objective would be to survive longer than my current record.

Edited by Derleth
  • Beans 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derleth said:

time alive, distance traveled, food eaten, weapons looted, rounds fired, infected killed, animals killed, players killed

remember the notebook/diary ?? -  that was in the Mod for a while (I think it was that far back) - way back.. You could call it up and it gave some of those stats just for YOUR benefit..  the only way to save it was a screenshot (if you felt like you needed to save it)..  For me the real "diary" is the one in your head as you learn, death by death and spawn by spawn - not just the land and the places and loot, but what players do, how they think, the whole OPERATION of the game .  These days, if I am looking for a place to put a tent or a stash I can TELL what percentage of players would look in those same spots.. and I know a couple of places that players never think of going ( really, I SWEAR ) not even by mistake  .. That long-term gain of experience is "the notebook" ..  But we HAVE HAD a diary of "events" in the game in the past.  = As long as there are NEVER Steam Achievements in DayZ, I'm cool. Your tally-book dies when you die.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Derleth said:

To be fair, on hardcore(ish) servers I don't give a flying toss if I'm totally alone, when the game puts up enough of a fight that is what I focus on, player interactions becomes something of marginal interest.

@Guy Smiley Glad to see that Dead by Dawn is back btw, will hop in later tonight. I've spent some time on OSG the last couple of days, among lots of loot fluff and other more or less unneeded mods they have tons of zeds and - first and foremost - reduced health and blood regeneration rates. This really turned the game around. He's still working on balancing loot, but the rich pickings didn't really matter since every scuffle with a zed sent my heart racing - because health was still yellow since my previous encounter. Pockets full of loot matters little when you've hidden in a shed with fifteen infected outside, screaming for your blood...

In the Workshop I found a Hypo- and Hyperthermia mod that seems to be broken judging by the comments, but surely someone can make one that works?

Hopefully the devs will get their act together soon and fix some of the survival issues, it's depressing when we need to look to mods to get a survival experience resembling what we had in 0.62.

Below I list the stuff I would personally like to see fixed/added back before more guns and vehicles:

  • Food poisoning
  • Hypo- and hyperthermia (when fixing this I hope to gawd they fix rain coats etc too so they actually work...)
  • Health and blood regeneration
  • Fractures
  • Bows

As for "quests" I don't really care for scripted missions and whatnot, I came to DayZ for the sandbox, there are tons of other games out there telling stories. Here, I'm just trying to survive as long as possible. Which brings me to the only thing I want along these lines:

Survivor statistics!

I want to see statistics pertaining to the currently selected character - time alive, distance traveled, food eaten, weapons looted, rounds fired, infected killed, animals killed, players killed, players skinned, players bandaged, players restrained etcetera etcetera. Basically any action that can be counted. That would be fun to see, and upon death my next objective would be to survive longer than my current record.

I'm still working on adding zeds spawn in areas that need it but I dont know if it's as simple as adding the coordinates as some spawns I made don't appear to be working and finding any form of information on this is rather vague

 

  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:08 AM, emuthreat said:

Pavel's note was in his desk, addressed to Andrik

And <how many times> would <how many players>  find the same note before word got around and players started looking for it, or knew where the stuff was without bothering to look for a trail of notes. and how many DIFFERENT quests would there have to be - 100? 10,000? - until everyone KNEW them INSIDE OUT
- with everyone telling everyone else where that Quest is and how to do it
- and players doing the same quest 15 times just to get the stuff
- and the fan Website with the List Of DayZ Quests

Say - How come you didn't like the Quest I suggested earlier ? - it seems to me a MORE exciting proposal than your quest  .. and exactly as TOTALLY non-DayZ

And exactly as inoperable.
And for exactly the same reasons.

If you want linear gameplay - there are PLENTY of games, online, offline...  A TRUE sandbox is a very recent invention in the history of games development .. name me a few games that honestly carry this disclaimer :
 

                                                                                                                                             [warning = contains zero quests]

 

Edited by pilgrim*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, Guy Smiley said:

searched every military base for your precious m4 but cant find one but you see a horde or military infected, maybe one of them has one

Right - would make good sense if mil infected carried mil loot  - Also,  IRL if a military base is being evacuated in chaos & the collapse of society the LAST thing any military personnel would leave behind would be their WEAPON and their ammo. Maybe in panic leave clothing, food, petrol, whatever.. but your WEAPON ?.. NO chance.   So maybe an infected military wandering around there would be a more realistic place to search, see what he had in his pockets.. boot knife, clips, grenades, spares, magazines, loose ammo?  (and maybe some fresh meat chunks?) [and even a few of somebody's fingers?]. = Stands to reason.  

*

p.s. - DOG TAGS

while I'm here (what the hell)   -  How about using DOG TAGS .. for mil infected or perhaps even for players... this would be an in-game way of keeping count (for the folk who want to keep count).. dog tags would stack and you could loot them off other players corpses.
I had the thought that, for cannibals or killers, you could cut off a finger or an ear from your dead victim and keep those - but I have an impression the Devs who took FLIES away from corpses wouldn't let you take a FINGER as a keepsake (even if the Devs do let you eat human bodies, you have to do it nicely). So I thought dog tags instead.

Just an idea for the folk who really WANT to keep some kind of score - because there seem to be a lot of them.
I'm not one (but I'm being nice for your sake).

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

But we HAVE HAD a diary of "events" in the game in the past.  = As long as there are NEVER Steam Achievements in DayZ, I'm cool. Your tally-book dies when you die.

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of personal statistics for the player's personal enjoyment. Time alive, distance travelled and such things are what I'm most interested in, but I know many others would want kills etcetera.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kills...i have killed just one player in dayz,for self defence:D
he hit me with axe on head but i stick the wooden stick into his eye...:D
im friendly hobo living in woods.:D
so if im grilling meat on woods...dont hit me with axe!

Edited by kopo79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NTX_Nitrix said:

You can also modify the size of the object so that it can not be placed in the inventory of pants or jackets.

Also in this way you can also only put in certain backpacks.

2DAA2BC3496F0E962B8606356621AB2DA5F54E00

These objects occupy 2 more holes than the original.

Original Cooking Pot 12 holes in the image 14 but it keeps its inner inventory intact, what is done is to change the distribution of the holes in vertical

yeah,,,maybe some object should some need tweak on their sizes.or maybe new cooking pot should be modded.i know that there is smaller cooking pots what is designed to hiking.
hmm...is that logo in left bottom from radiation mod?
just wonder that if modder can make new stat,could there be tiredness mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want hardcore?  I challenge someone to post a video of being able to drink from the water fountain in the town of Balota on my server

  • Beans 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Derleth said:

As for "quests" I don't really care for scripted missions and whatnot, I came to DayZ for the sandbox

Yeah, I totally have no interest in NPC AI type quests, but environmental type random opportunities would be cool to see.  Something along the lines of having all the weapons and ammo in police stations locked in closets or lockers, so you have to go search the town and kill the infected to get their keys.
It might be a bit harder than it seems to prevent trolling by players killing all zeds, and tossing the keys in a swamp.  But I could see a state-check of the locked areas, and reassigning keys every time zombies respawn as a viable solution.  Every server restart resets the locked states and new key spawns on infected inventories.

I don't have my heart set on it, but it would flesh-out the sandbox a bit more, and add a bit more challenge to looting.

7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

How come you didn't like the Quest I suggested earlier ? - it seems to me a MORE exciting proposal than your quest  .. and exactly as TOTALLY non-DayZ

And exactly as inoperable.
And for exactly the same reasons.

Your quest suggestions were tongue-in-cheek hyperbole.  I tried to envision my version in the least gamey way possible by basing them on natural scenarios that happened during the outbreak.

In case you missed it, my scenarios came with stipulations of the notes being random spawns, and each subsequent clue having a conditional spawn based on the player holding the first clue coming into the target area.  This would keep grinding and griefing to an absolute minimum.

Note *randomly* spawns in Balota, in the big green mustache house across from well, laying on the table in the corner of upstairs room.  Note indicates Pustoshka as target area.  Player carries first note to Pushtoshka, which triggers spawn of second note (this is the important part to prevent grinding/griefing).
Player finds second note In yellow house with pink roof near southern well; note indicates that a key, which opens the medical cabinets in back room of Novaya Petrovka med clinic, is left in car that ran out of gas in front of the orange brick house in Vavilovo.
Player X loots designated car in Vavilovo, but finds no key, because they aren't carrying the note.  Player arrives with note, retrieves key.  (This is the only really "gamey part" of my scenario)
Player is killed by Player X at well near Sinistock lumber mill; they did not discard the notes.  Player X takes key and goes to Novaya Petrovka and retrieves medical supplies from locked cabinet.

7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

So maybe an infected military wandering around there would be a more realistic place to search, see what he had in his pockets.. boot knife, clips, grenades, spares, magazines, loose ammo?  (and maybe some fresh meat chunks?) [and even a few of somebody's fingers?]. = Stands to reason.  

You've got the same idea as me, with common sense environmental sandbox features.

Part of making the gameplay a bit more hardcore would involve perhaps looking for a specific infected uniform of the supply sergeant, so you could retrieve the keys to the armory.
Imagine looting athe ATC and finding a shiny new FAL sitting untouched behind a wire cage.  Now you gotta go killing zombies to find the key, or sit there for 5 minutes with a hacksaw and risk your life with your back to the door.

None of this stuff seems too elaborate for a sandbox game, just a bit more of a rich environment for the player to explore, evaluate, and overcome.

  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to implement food degradation to where it's bad to eat and will make you sick.  I miss force feeding people rotten kiwi and wash it down with disinfectant 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

how about cases of beans and peaches and other caned goods, bottled water, fishing rods , cases of nails , hammers stuff like that , instead of guns. 

What you mean?

In server what i have been testing canned foid is reduced...guns reduced,meat from animals reduced and i havent seen chickens at all...maybe wolfs have eaten all the chickenz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×