Man Parts 241

Just found...

On 9/26/2018 at 8:44 PM, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

I shot and skinned my first cow two days ago. It provided roughly 12 steaks and I only had enough inventory to hold three... I've seen elk on three occasions, but each time I didn't have a firearm and they flee surprisingly fast (there's NO way a player could catch them on foot...) as soon as they sense you (about 100 yards for me, though I wasn't exactly sneaking).

doesn't matter with animals - you can crawl through bushes or be behind a hill completely out of sight (or in a shed, behind a wall, wear a ghillie, wherever), as soon as your avatar gets inside that animal's zone of detection they run.  Even cows. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

need 1 racoon .. in Europe we make do with a Hedgehog to craft a real backwoods hat

Noice! I oughta send you a koala for Sunday wear lol

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

doesn't matter with animals - you can crawl through bushes or be behind a hill completely out of sight (or in a shed, behind a wall, wear a ghillie, wherever), as soon as your avatar gets inside that animal's zone of detection they run.  Even cows. 

I'm not sure that's true, I've walked right up to a cow and shot it in the face with a pistol before it ran off, took six shots with a 38 to put it down. Not sure about other animals. Also had my first encounter with wolves recently. In an open field in mid West. Saw them in the distance. Thought it was a player at first and then they attacked. We killed four before they ran off. Heard some more five mins later but never saw them. Maybe they were chasing some other poor soul. Survival is so much more interesting with wild animals! 

2 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I'm not sure that's true, I've walked right up to a cow and shot it in the face with a pistol before it ran off, took six shots with a 38 to put it down. Not sure about other animals. Also had my first encounter with wolves recently. In an open field in mid West. Saw them in the distance. Thought it was a player at first and then they attacked. We killed four before they ran off. Heard some more five mins later but never saw them. Maybe they were chasing some other poor soul. Survival is so much more interesting with wild animals! 

yes, each animal-type has a different zone of detection.. when I say 'inside their zone of detection, they run" .. I don't mean wolves, lets not get confused about that. Try sneaking up on a heard of deer.. or in fact try killing any animal (except WOLVES)  with a melee weapon instead of a gun..  you soon suss the distance they become alarmed. It doesn't change however you approach them, or if they can see you or not.

3 hours ago, Eeyeoretherealone said:

Noice! I oughta send you a koala for Sunday wear lol

Something warm for crafting a groin protector would be appreciated.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

yes, each animal-type has a different zone of detection.. when I say 'inside their zone of detection, they run" .. I don't mean wolves, lets not get confused about that. Try sneaking up on a heard of deer.. or in fact try killing any animal (except WOLVES)  with a melee weapon instead of a gun..  you soon suss the distance they become alarmed. It doesn't change however you approach them, or if they can see you or not.

In 0.62 I once crawled pretty close to some deers. Might be different at the moment in 0.63, but I am pretty sure that with 0.62 the player stance affected the detection zone.

13 hours ago, amadieus said:

In 0.62 I once crawled pretty close to some deers. Might be different at the moment in 0.63, but I am pretty sure that with 0.62 the player stance affected the detection zone.

OK - I'm willing to be shown wrong.. I'd be very pleased in fact.  - I guess a guy in a gillie suit SHOULD stand a better chance of getting closer to game, or someone skirting round behind a hill crest, or keeps out of sight, rather than just running at them .. If crawling gets you closer to hunted animals, I'm all for it. My experience with them is that they have been pretty certainly predictable (even how far they run before they stand). If I'm wrong - then that's totally great.
Also perhaps most players shoot game from a distance,  so they don't notice how close you need to be when different animals spook? I used to try to kill boars with an axe - running in you could get SOMETIMES get one swing at them as they took off.. if they ran uphill against a fallen tree you could maybe get one.. but it was about a 50 to 1 chance.. (or less)..

xxP

Note: in PC Experimental right now (30 Sept) you can walk up to a chicken and punch it in the head.. so I really don't know what's going on ATM.

Edited by pilgrim*

16 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

OK - I'm willing to be shown wrong.. I'd be very pleased in fact.  - I guess a guy in a gillie suit SHOULD stand a better chance of getting closer to game, or someone skirting round behind a hill crest, or keeps out of sight, rather than just running at them .. If crawling gets you closer to hunted animals, I'm all for it. My experience with them is that they have been pretty certainly predictable (even how far they run before they stand). If I'm wrong - then that's totally great.
Also perhaps most players shoot game from a distance,  so they don't notice how close you need to be when different animals spook? I used to try to kill boars with an axe - running in you could get SOMETIMES get one swing at them as they took off.. if they ran uphill against a fallen tree you could maybe get one.. but it was about a 50 to 1 chance.. (or less)..

xxP

Unrelated to this comment, though I was wondering if you’ve found any hunting areas that tend to have larger game (deer, elk)?

Ive been through dozens of wooded areas, meadows, hunting stands, feeders, combed through Black Forest, waited, listened, and only ever some deer once.

Just found...

the P7 pistol. Seen about 9,000 mags. Finally found the gun. Not a mag in sight 0.o

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

xxP

Challenge accepted!

I jumped into the offline version and thankfully found some deer (elk?) rather quickly. With my red hoodie I could come pretty close. So I don't think that clothing matters. Maybe they will in the future, since it should affect the infected's vision since last patch.
I made two screens which you can see on my profile: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971506802/screenshots/?appid=221100

The second screenshot was made seconds before they run. (Edit: I might make more screenshots in the meantime, just look at the ones with all the leaves and guy in red hoodie)
I tried to come from behind as you might see in the first screenshot, but they all stood up at one moment and walked right to me.

Now I didn't test yet how close you can come by jogging but I'm confident that is not as close.

Edited by amadieus
  • Beans 1

20 hours ago, amadieus said:

In PC Experimental today, 30 Sept,  you can walk up to a chicken and punch it in the head unless it's full daylight -  this is the first time I've noticed this. They just stand there (maybe they are zombie chickens).  In the Standard Game last time I was there, they used to try to get out of your way and you had to run around trying to hit them with something.

I don't know what animal reactions are like on Xbox but I've noticed a lot of people saying they eat chicken.

When you get barrels on Xbox (soon I guess) you can use them as persistent stashes, but you can also use them to cure skins; with cured hides you can make clothing and stuff. I think Emuthreat has done this with wolfskin, on PC.  He's a kind of wolf-hunter, last I heard.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarlTheGooner said:

Just found - Helicopter crash site, no helicopter just a thick plume of smoke. Meh

meteorite

or orbital strike

l5vn5VC.png

obviously  ..

JUJd0Xn.jpg

Edited by pilgrim*
xxP
  • Haha 3

On 9/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, Gav Williams said:

Just found a yellow police car loaded with different ammo.....none that I actually needed though 

I found a Skorpion in a police car. I thought it was a pizza delivery car at first... but it just didn't make any sense.

I wonder if anybody found a mag for the Skorpion ?

Edit: I found mags for Skorpion and for MP5 on the top of a radio antenna somewhere.

Edited by Tarkules
Scorpion -> Skorpion & Case closed.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tarkules said:

I found a Scorpion in a police car. I thought it was a pizza delivery car at first... but it just didn't make any sense.

I wonder if anybody found a mag for the Scorpion ?

I have, twice, i remember one was at a military base. But they are far and few between. Seemed like I was always finding P7 mags and pistols and ammo, and same with 9mm. Since last patch that all seems to have dried up alot, but  find alot of .45 ammo and .45 pistol mags now.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 6:38 AM, pilgrim* said:

Very good to know and that makes perfect sense as I noticed elk seem to keep to a constant distance from me when hunting. Thank you!

• Beans 1

On 9/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, Nayte said:

Unrelated to this comment, though I was wondering if you’ve found any hunting areas that tend to have larger game (deer, elk)?

Ive been through dozens of wooded areas, meadows, hunting stands, feeders, combed through Black Forest, waited, listened, and only ever some deer once.

I've had a lot of luck finding both deer and elk between Black Mountain and Black Lake. Black Lake also seems to spawn quite a few around the shoreline as well.

• Thanks 1

Just found some boar. They ran tho and I didn't feel like giving chase. So they got away. Can't wait to just find netting x)

• Like 1

upon my travels today I had the misfortune to run into a pack of wolves , which paid me absolutely no interest whatsoever as they were too busy chasing a pig. I was going to attempt a screenshot however decided against it , as all I had were three rounds and a sharpened stick.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bearjew1101 said:

upon my travels today I had the misfortune to run into a pack of wolves , which paid me absolutely no interest whatsoever as they were too busy chasing a pig. I was going to attempt a screenshot however decided against it , as all I had were three rounds and a sharpened stick.

Wolves freak me out a bit... They're quick, scripted to perform flanking attacks and are NOT fun trying to dispatch with melee weapons. Firearms obviously make short work of them, but I certainly try not to fire shots unless absolutely necessary to not only conserve ammo, but to also not to attract other players to the sound of gunfire (unless using suppressed guns of course). I do enjoy the added threat however, as the infected aren't a terrible threat on their own, unless of course you aggro three or more at one time. I'm both intimidated and excited for the addition of bears, if they're still to be implemented into the game as well!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Nayte said:

Just found some north of Staroye, northwest of the mili base. Killed a buck.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2018 at 7:58 PM, Man Parts 241 said:

Just found...

the P7 pistol. Seen about 9,000 mags. Finally found the gun. Not a mag in sight 0.o

This happens to me all the time! I drop something ive had on me for days which i havent needed then i need it 10 minutes later lol. Or find 1 canteen after not seeing one for weeks and then find 3 within 5 mins of looting

Edited by Los Bandito
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Los Bandito said:

This happens to me all the time! I drop something ive had on me for days which i havent needed then i need it 10 minutes later lol. Or find 1 canteen after not seeing one for weeks and then find 3 within 5 mins of looting

That's where I'm at right now. Been looking for a canteen for 2 days now. Watch I find 37 in the same server I find the first one in lol

On 9/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, Nayte said:

From Lopatino try West to the fields between the railway lines and the road, that area is sometimes OK for deer and boar. Then also from Lopatino, the areas SW across the stream that runs with trees on both banks; also a good place to lurk, look at the open areas SW from there for deer and boar.

Also - in the North there is the lake (pond) just NE of Zaprudnoe. you have cover there & I have several times seen boar & deer  - & cattle around there and in Zaprudnoe itself - and wolves ..er .. (occasionally).

I was in Nagornoe (NE of map) yesterday and saw boar in the fringe of the woods North of there, cows in the open field (3 days running), and then a lone wolf that attacked me (one bite) and then broke off and chased the herd of cows all over the place, until he finally came back into town and had a fight with a zombie that went on for quite a while. They made a lot of noise. Only time I have seen a single wolf on the rampage.

Never can tell, things change, spawn rates change too..  but the Zaprudnoe pond has/had  a reputation. Is also an interesting area..

xxP

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1