fosty99

Where is the DayZ population?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, benedictus said:

Your friends need to realize that there isn't supposed to be happening anything for the normal player. People who CHOOSE to play the game at the moment should understand that there isn't much to do other than testing the new iterations.

We can analyze your friends logic a little bit.

Someone tells you that he's going to give you 1 million dollar worth of gold for 20$ but the catch is that you have to wait for it for an undefined time period because they need to mine it and melt it into bars. Meanwhile you can go and check out the process but you can't have any of the bars yet. Then suddenly after a while you decide that you've lost your trust for the gold bar makers and you are not going to accept the gold bars when they are finished. Even if it's all there.

I find it very hard to see any logic in that. If you can't have it now, you will never take it.

At some point, I would consider their failure to deliver on the promised  gold to be what is commonly known as a "scam".

Forgetting metaphors here and without discussing the quality of the standalone, the reality is that pretty much anyone who has or had interest in playing DayZ at some point has probably played the standalone.  They may have even played it for a long time or are still playing it.  But people don't play a game forever.  Under the best of circumstances, these sort of games go through a cycle where they get a big hit of players in the beginning, player count slowly increases until it peaks and then slowly wanes as players lose interest and move on to other games.  Once the player count drops below a critical mass, a multiplayer game becomes for all intents and purposes unplayable.

The point being, by the time DayZ is released (assuming it ever is), most people who were interested will probably have moved on and simply won't care.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, bfisher said:

The point being, by the time DayZ is released (assuming it ever is), most people who were interested will probably have moved on and simply won't care.

Possibly you are right, however, you are factoring out new players who never played the game before (both mod and and SA)

On 7/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, benedictus said:

Your friends need to realize that there isn't supposed to be happening anything for the normal player. People who CHOOSE to play the game at the moment should understand that there isn't much to do other than testing the new iterations.

We can analyze your friends logic a little bit.

Someone tells you that he's going to give you 1 million dollar worth of gold for 20$ but the catch is that you have to wait for it for an undefined time period because they need to mine it and melt it into bars. Meanwhile you can go and check out the process but you can't have any of the bars yet. Then suddenly after a while you decide that you've lost your trust for the gold bar makers and you are not going to accept the gold bars when they are finished. Even if it's all there.

I find it very hard to see any logic in that. If you can't have it now, you will never take it.

I think your analogy of comparing DayZ with  "1 million dollar worth of gold" is really stretching it.  Unless Bohemia is based in Nigeria? 

Edited by forteantimes23

1 minute ago, forteantimes23 said:

I think your analogy of comparing DayZ with  "1 million dollar worth of gold" is pretty stupid. 

How so? Would it make any difference if it was just 1 gold bar? The concept stays the same, the value you put on the product is in your own hands. 1 million dollars was used to create clear contrast.

6 minutes ago, benedictus said:

How so? Would it make any difference if it was just 1 gold bar? The concept stays the same, the value you put on the product is in your own hands. 1 million dollars was used to create clear contrast.

Because gold is a coveted,  can be traded and can give you power and influence. DayZ is a failed game, has disappointed thousands of players and is pretty much forgotten by everyone.  If it's a scam it's a good one and taught lots of people about Early Access

Edited by forteantimes23

9 minutes ago, forteantimes23 said:

Because gold is a coveted,  can be traded and can give you power and influence. DayZ is a failed game, has disappointed thousands of players and is pretty much forgotten by everyone.  If it's a scam it's a good one and taught lots of people about Early Access

Ok since it keeps flying over your head, lets replace the concept of gold bars with a concept of a great game you valued high once you bought it. 

You say forgotten, do you mean that they might be coming back if/once the game is released because that's not what we are talking about neither it being a scam or no scam. You seem disappointed and it feels like you let your emotions do the talking rather than your rational thinking.

Being around here since the early days, I am checking the  BI forums regulary but stopped playing DayZ a good while ago... until zeds, animals, vehicles and base buidling are feature complete that is :)

I also defenetely know a lot of people that are waiting for the final game. Modding and hopefully some nice dlc's like in Arma series will then keep this alive and kicking for years ...that's for sure :)

cheers

Edited by Private Evans

Yall should be out rock climbing - this is summer, = hot outside = DAYLIGHT - sit indoors get pale and weedy and sick and twisted if ya like.. But I was 3000m up a mountain last night solo and it was OK

• Beans 1

On 7/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, fosty99 said:

Are the majority of DayZ players in standalone or are they playing the mod or a variant of it?
I miss the player interaction of the old DayZ, but now the place is a ghost town.

Pretty much most went to play something else. For good reasons too.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:00 PM, Girth Brooks said:

A fair amount of people are on A3 dayz or exile mod variants right now. They will also return because of how janky those mods play, but for now they are waaaaaay more feature complete. 

I can't wait for DayZ Exile mod. hrrrnnnggggggg

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, nl said:

Possibly you are right, however, you are factoring out new players who never played the game before (both mod and and SA)

Maybe.  I just don't think DayZ is going to "blow up" again like it did when the Mod first came out 4 years or so ago.  AFAIK, there was never anything like that.  Since then, there have been all sorts of similar zombie survival games with various degrees "sandboxedness" and success (or even completeness) (H1Z1,  State of Decay, Dying Light, Dead Rising 4, Dead Matter, Dead Island, etc), survival games like The Forest and The Long Dark, Rust is in there somewhere and "battle royale" games like PUBG and Fortnight.

17 minutes ago, bfisher said:

Maybe.  I just don't think DayZ is going to "blow up" again like it did when the Mod first came out 4 years or so ago.  AFAIK, there was never anything like that. 

Zombies getting out of fashion. It needs to be a BR game to blow up now.

• Sad 1

Luckily we do not have zombies in DayZ, but ONLY a land infested with a very weird infectious disease, which does not make it so easy for the player to "survive" unless there are many other players on the server. DayZ would also work without the Infected, but they are a part of the game that distracts you from other dangers, the greatest danger, other players.

9 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

You have to be kidding!

How so? Zombies are still in fashion or BR games aren't popular?

Are there any reliable statistics to show how long on average any online game player sticks with the same game before changing to a new game? I know the big games companies spend big money to encourage turnover, boost their revenue, so they have the exact gen. but don't release it, for obvious reasons.   AND they know what to do with it, AND they put a solid 8-10% of their projected revenue  into advertising in the right places.  

Any public info, or non-profit-making surveys?

And so? -  How many thousand hours on average before ANY game starts to feel like you could try something else?

AND how do you encourage new players to join? - Well - the same way you got folk to watch "Han Solo" I guess..  maybe not a good example, but .. heh.. you plug a lot of project money into publicity.

The report Online Game Market Forecasts estimated worldwide revenue from online games to reach $35 billion by 2017.  Should be about $50 billion this year.

.. hmmm ... I guess there ARE people who play Flight Simulator ALL their lives? .. that means they COULD have been playing Fight Simulator for .. er .. 39 years?  

Is BI looking to keep the same players forever, or focusing to bring in new players?  I can' tell by looking at their marketing strategy.

[just saying this with no plus/minus attitude,  because  I used to work in PR. I did some things with two modest-sized games companies, before the giant companies ate up what the giants were interested in.]

xxp

5 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

that dayz should be a BR game.

DayZ should never be a BR game, never said that.

In general, game needs to be a BR game for it to get easy sells, aka blow up.

@pilgrim* I think they are relying on streamers and youtube for free advertising right now. I know they made bank when the SA was released but I wonder how much budget they have left for actual advertising..... 

Well i must say, look at all these old crusty buggers showing up here all the way from 2012 :D

Good too see !

On 7/13/2018 at 1:16 AM, Ninefingers said:

Keep in mind a lot of people have been playing this game for years and years, have thousands of hours played, the likely hood of some older blasé players coming back is there, the likely hood of them sticking around after doing the usual reinstall Dayz Experimental test new update, depends entirely on the devs and them actually delivering on what we have all been waiting for . 

I am one of said players, I have played thousands of hours of Standalone and I always come back to test new patches, that being said nowadays I usually play a week before going back to what other game is my go to, I truly want DayZ to be a success, and as far as I am concerned I had loads of fun playing, still do from time to time, can I sink as much time into the game now? not really, I played on most big PvP servers, I played on RP servers like DayZ RP and Underground, I played on my own private server, I have lone wolfed, played with clans etc etc, and I have even more hours played on the numerous ARMA 2/3 DayZ mods, what I am getting at is a lot of us have played the crap out of this game, and we have seen all there is to see, done most of what there is to do and it will take something truly special from the devs to recapture that magic and make the game feel fresh again .

Will I be there if that happens ? hell yeah, will it hold my attention for another few thousand hours, probably not, maybe with mods? I truthfully do not know .

Yes, this applies too many i think. I havent played dayz sa since Novemeber. These days, everything does feel like it has been done and there isnt much variety left for us old timers. However there is still that yearn to hopefully see the game become alot harder with all the nice things like alot more infected, base building etc but other than that i think dayz peak is role playing aspects.

I want situations to happen via word of mouth on a server where bandits are holding a small town and people know not to travel there without a group or you might be captured.

I want to see big cities like cherno filled with infected and you cant enter the city with anything less than an armed team but there is alot of loot, high risk high reward etc.

A while ago I thought we would have seen the first iterations of base buildling by now. Barricading existing buildings.  Indeed it is going to take something truly special to recapture that magic for us from the devs but i guess I would say maybe modding community will do that for us.. hopefully

• Beans 1

I'm not really sure the game will ever light up again, I simply think it has taken way too long to develop. People feel like we are going back to a 5 year old game. 

My friends stopped playing because we wasted hours and hours unable to find anyone to pvp against (60 slot servers), and the only remote hope of getting anyone back is advanced basebuilding. But, even though I don't think I've ever criticized the development before - people are basically laughing at the timetables being put out. No one believes in them anymore, and no one I played with really believes this game will ever be finished. 

I remember the game making headlines outside of gaming communities for being the fastest selling game on Steam or something - to think that we are here 5 years later with 90 % the same game is actually kinda weird.  

• Beans 1

Many underestimate the power that marketing can have. It's something that BI has not touched until now, and with good reason. The most important reason for this is that we immediately click away at the start of the game ....

And there are a lot of people out there who do not know or say anything about Dayz .... oh ... there's something going on, let's just wait and see what which gives.

Anyone who plays the game NOW .... is a tester of an alpha version, nothing more, nothing less.

• Beans 1