Thurman Merman

My .63 Offline Experiences

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (it's about .63, but just offline, not stress tests).  Further, I have been out of the country for about 3 weeks, so apologies for any redundancies.  

I've been able to play offline for about 4 hours for each of the last 3 days, so I have covered a big piece of the map and done everything I could think to try.

My first life spawned near Tulga; I hit Kamy, then went up through the woods to Staroye, Guglovo, and the Sabors before my game crashed.  My second spawn was near Kamy, so I headed west along the coast:  hit every town thereon and ended at the far SW roadblock.  My last game spawned near Svet; I went along the northern road (but didn't check on much as I was in a hurry to get to NWAF) to NWAF, then out west (western roadblock), then down to Myshkino military.

First, thoughts on the environment: 

• The woods, water, and general visuals are both beautiful and densely displayed.  Just really impressive overall.  I suspect they're even better in the stress tests (I'm assuming things got dialed down on standalone since the client had to handle everything).  Also, it looks as if it will be easier to hide barrels in trees/bushes again;
  • I had issues with the sound.  When I was along the coast, there seemed to be almost no ambient sounds (wind, waves, birds), just my footsteps and very soft raindrops.  Yet, when I was on the northern half of the map (while sounds were still relatively quiet), I did get much more wind and wildlife noises.  I hope the infected sounds still have some more work left, as they feel out of place (but maybe it's just my other problems with the sound causing that effect);
  • Map changes:  (didn't want to include any pics, as I am trying to limit spoilers) I loved the new Cherno, including the new police HQ; NWAF was huge and very complicated - that's gonna be fun to play on (only saw water in 2 spots: drainage basin on the east side and a creek on the west side, so like Tisy, bring your bottles/pots and water purification tabs) - and I was happy to see several brand new buildings;  found lots of new developments out west, so no more endless forests.  Very encouraging! 

Now, to general game play:

• First the obvious bugs/incompletions:  I couldn't figure out anyway to reload a gun, even with mags, without tabbing open the inventory (I get that they want to slow some things down, but hopefully that is to be fixed); I could find no way to dive prone (had to crouch, then go prone); rolling seems to be currently out; much crafting resulted in both the crafted item and some of the original materials still being present (6 rags+6 rags= rope and 6 rags; courier bag+sticks=improved pack and courier bag; etc.); knives/can openers get ruined at an alarming rate (I didn't count, but probably less than 10 uses); tall apartment blocks are currently not enterable (at least I couldn't get past the last step); I couldn't figure out how to slide down ladders; and my guy couldn't run down the firehouse stairs without falling and being injured.
  • Stamina/Injury:  while stamina will need some tweaking, of course, I think they're very much on the right track.  At first, I thought it was too severe,  but then realized my guy, carrying about 24 kg of clothes and gear, could sprint for about 15-16 paces (so roughly 100m?). [See Edit 2]  He then needed to jog about the same number of paces to fully recharge his bar.  That seems a little too severe, but not far off the mark.  (Side note: I found the bar very difficult to read.  The total/available is obvious, but available/used is so similarly colored as to be very difficult to read.)  Further, I was not wild about being able to jog/sprint up steep embankments/hills - seems very unrealistic.  I rather liked the limping while recovering from injuries.  I think that will add needed complexity to the PvP game.
  • Gunplay:  other than the obvious reloading issue, I really like the new controls. Seemed very natural to raise, look down the sights, and fire - then spin to find the approaching infected and repeat.  Further, I feel fairly certain that infected no longer radar lock on to you.  Several times , I fired, then moved; and the infected who hadn't seen me seemed to move towards the location where I made the sound.  If that is a correct observation, that is great!  Finally, friends have complained about excessive sway, but I thought it was rather mild. 
  • Am really encouraged by the new melee.  I had expected the combo moves and different attacks to be kind of gimicky, but after playing with them for a bit, I was really starting to enjoy them.  That coupled with the stamina effect should greatly improve melee (I mean, it would be hard not to improve from the prior system, but this looks like it might be really good).
  • Wildlife:  I killed some cows and got around 15-20 steaks (I forgot to count them).  When I built a fire to cook them, I noticed that the new fire interface looks pretty cool (places for fuel, cookware, improvements, etc.).  I also killed some wolves, but didn't harvest them.  However, I think wolves are currently immune to melee.  I hit the same wolf 12 times with a fireaxe (saw blood), but he did not go down.  Further, I had to shoot 5 before the pack would disperse; and they came back shortly thereafter (1-2 minutes), forcing me to kill 2 more.  Perhaps it was two packs on top of each other?  Finally, the wolves were much easier to shoot, as they no longer surf on invisible waves.
  • The HUD, while not fully functioning in standalone (don't think temp, wetness, or sickness are operating), was nonetheless, difficult to decipher.  I think bleeding may be represented by a red, downward facing arrow under the cross, but wasn't sure.  I do know that after the aforementioned wolf attack, I had to bandage several times to get rid of the downward arrows under the blood symbol - I'm assuming that meant I could now sustain multiple injuries at once, if so, that's a welcome addition.  In any event, I would expect them to continue to refine the HUD, as a player shouldn't wonder so much about what would be obvious (to a person) physical conditions.
  • Inventory UI:  what a mess.  Again, I know this is a first draft; and I know they want to make some of the prior, instantaneous actions more realistic, but, as an example, having to hit TAB, then drag a can to my hands, then drag a knife to the can, then close my inventory, then hold down my LMB for several seconds to eat a can of bacon is needlessly tedious.  And while I don't mind the time it takes to eat, I can't be the only one to hate having to constantly hold the LMB down.  In general, I feel like I spend way too much time dragging things around in my inventory screen, then closing it, then opening it again to finally finish what I was doing (e.g., open inventory, drag boxed ammo to hands, close inventory, open box by holding down LMB, open inventory, drag magazine to hand, drag ammo onto mag, close inventory, hit LMB before doing any other move to start loading the mag, finish, open inventory, drag mag to vest/pocket/etc. - that will get old real quickly).  On the other hand, I did like the ability to scroll through some crafting options using the MMB, that, as well as the display thereof, seemed like a simple and elegant solution.  Finally, I love that when you empty a mag, the ammo is automatically stacked onto any non-full stack of said ammo. 

So that's about all I can think of.  I'll be glad to answer any question for those who don't have the several hours it takes to get up NW and see that part of the map.  All in all, I am very optimistic about the future of this game after playing around with the first draft of .63.  Can't wait until they start pushing EXP builds!  

ETA:  As other have mentioned, please fix the doors.  Many open the wrong way, they're always pushing your character around, just a mess.

Edit 2:  Obviously did my math wrong.  Assuming a 1.8m tall man, I'd then assume a sprinting stride length (i.e., distance between right foot falls) of 1.25x, so 2.25m.  That means my guy could sprint for less than 40m carrying 24kg (including clothes, and even then, most items would have been in my vest - which would be less taxing then running with a pack on).  That sprinting ability should probably be increased by a factor of 2.5 (or I should be able to sprint about 100m, while only moderately loaded) IMO.  Further, did a test this morning with 10kg of total gear, and I could only sprint about 60m.  So, yes, I think the stamina capacity should be at least doubled.  Having said all that, without a range finder to determine actual in-game distance, I may be full of crap here.  :D

Edit 3:  see posts below for further testing and thoughts on stamina.

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Beans 10

To reload simply put the mag in your action bar and hold the key for it, while having your weapon in hands. Reload is fast and sleek. You can even run while doing it. I had no problem at all with it. Simply pressing the key will put the mag in your hands, you need to keep it pressed.

Edit: Also, what I do is put ammo AND mags in the action bar. Let's you have your UMP mag on 2, and ammo on 3, you press 2 to have your mag in hands, and then press 3 to have the option to left click to load your mag.

There's no need to go in the inventory for this anymore.

Edited by odin_lowe
  • Like 1
  • Beans 6

@odin_lowe, I cannot believe I didn't figure that out.  :dopey:  

Also, another nit:  filling a bottle or a canteen from a stream or lake should be much faster than from a pump.  Not game breaking but noticed it this morning while playing around with stamina and sprint distance and found it annoying.

• Beans 1

This is a nice write up. I like what I'm hearing from everyone. It's all pretty damn exciting.I havent played any .63 but I'm not sure where I'm getting this patience from but I'm going to hold it and squeeze for as long as possible. Or untill I get a new monitor for my BEAST pc which im confused on what to get :D  

I have been looking forward to new infected sounds for a long time and the demonic snarls of yesteryear was way past its use by date but i do think the new sounds definitely need some work as others have mentioned. Do i post the good ole dayz horror concept video of the zombies running & screaming at night ? :P

• Beans 1

Some impressions:

Holy crap!  Cows drop twenty steaks apiece.  I shot two (both surprising one-hit kills with IZH rifle) and spent the better part of a half hour cooking and eating to avoid wasting any, and I still hauled a dozen raw steaks up to Tisy by the time it was all said and done.
Badly damaged hunting knife yielded consistently between 82% and 86% cuts of meat from a few different chickens.
Zombies will kill you with one hit if their first charging attack lands.  I learned very quickly to get on top of someplace safe and clear the area, rather than risk being surprised.
Eating chicken and steak takes 5 to 7 seconds each, while beans, tacbac, and tuna take around 20 seconds to fully consume.
Stones are somewhat hard to come by, and knives will ruin after less than 10 uses in most cases.
Items removed from a stick or gun appear larger until placed in inventory matrix,  at which point they resume their normal size.
NWAF is awesomely designed and now feels more like an actual location, rather than a bunch of empty space between a couple points of interest.
I HATE the new stamina system in its current iteration.  Spent a good 60% of my session not being able to sprint at all.

Things that I found lots of:
Makarovs and magazines and .380 ammo,  .45 ACP boxes and UMP magazines, 7.62x39 boxes, 7.62x54R boxes, AKM+mags, MP5+mags, FNX, combat knives, UK assault vest, beans, tactical bacon, tuna, hiking jackets, sweaters, tracksuit, pilotka caps, hiking boots, splitting axe, ushanka, cowboy hats, leather sewing kits, taloon and mountain backpacks, ALICE packs(Tisy), ttsko clothing, sledgehammers, water bottles, portable transciever

Things I found one or two of:
UMP, SVD, SSH68 helmet, burlap sacks, black hi-cap, child briefcase, gorka clothing, kitchen knife, CR75 magazine, skorpion, plate carrier, SMERSH bag, canteen, tortilla backpack, coyote backpack, alkaline battery

Things I found none of:
Any guns or ammo of the shotgun, magnum, .22, .308 or 5.56 families; mosin, pickaxe, baseball bat, ice axe, shovel, hoe, seeds, cooking pot, gas stove, frying pan, spray paint, military boots, books, binocs/scopes, compass, any face coverings.

I played two lives in one long session. First life was from Olsha to Kamensk base where I got 1-hit by the first zombie I saw after missing on shot with the makarov in 3pp ads crosshair mode. I ran to Chernaya Polana, SW Novo, Nagornoe, and Kamensk base. I had a difficult time finding enough food and water to survive, as well as understanding the cryptic icons having to do with statuses.  I never know when I'm full, or even how close to hydrated I get after sipping from a well 12 times in a row.  I drank sodas to avoid eating apples, canned food, or chicken breasts with my bloody hands, until I discovered you can wash your hands out of a water bottle.

Second life took me through Pusta, Mog, Stary Sobor (where I killed two cows and faced the consequences) and into the updated NWAF at the gate where the log pub used to be.  I soon had an AKM, UMP and SVD, and my sprinting days were over, even after discarding one of my rifles.  It took me a long time to check the entire arifield.  By the time I made it to Tisy, I was dying of boredom, but didn't want to see any wolves because I knew I could never carry them, and didn't want to sit through the tedious process of cooking them, so I logged off.

Complaints:

While new and interesting, the stamina system is easily two or three times as severe as anything close to resembling fun for me.  Either it needs nerfing on weight limits, or the available stamina should grow along with player in the way that cardio training would increase real life capability; as in a fully laden player would start to regain the ability to sprint after some time spent with the weight they are carrying, and the stamina should slowly increase to maybe half of what an unladen player has.

Cooking on a stick is tedious, as one sits there doing nothing but holding LMB for extended periods of time.  However, partially cooked items will resume and keep previous progress.  It took me a few tries to get it right aiming at fireplace while sitting down to cook.

Ambient noise is bugged and becomes crackly when inside buildings.

Stacked items are difficult to interact with correctly on ground, in terms of selecting one out of the stack of a few different items manually.  Inventory management is clunky and requires more steps than seems necessary to perform a simple task.  Items on ground interfere with ladder descent access.

Overall, I'd have to say that so much is new and different, and the missing elements make it hard to decide how well the new systems will work when it all comes together.

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

It was well written @Thurman Merman - I agree to most of your content, and it should also be possible to move while moving items in your bag

And another point I would like to point out would be amazing improvement - not sure if it will be in this 0.63 build, but before the game is fully released is to have bullet impact - 7.62 ammo should easy penetrate wood doors or barn doors for instant, and it should be better noticeable bullet impacts when you hit a tree or a building. 

Have a great weekend! 

On 5/4/2018 at 4:36 AM, liquidcactus said:

I have been looking forward to new infected sounds for a long time and the demonic snarls of yesteryear was way past its use by date but i do think the new sounds definitely need some work as others have mentioned. Do i post the good ole dayz horror concept video of the zombies running & screaming at night ? :P

Yeah that one was epic :) and for me it was because of how everything sounds. However I think these 'demonic' sounds you mention are pretty much what we're used to in all horror type games. What makes it scarier for me at least is the sounds of these infected as deranged humans. That's what they are in the first place, afflicted by this virus thing. I think off-world and alien things surely are scary but there's nothing more scarier then seeing one of your own going mad and without control. Sort of 'the other side of their nature'.

14 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Overall, I'd have to say that so much is new and different, and the missing elements make it hard to decide how well the new systems will work when it all comes together.

There'll be certainly some time spent to get used to everything since we've played the legacy stuff for so long, but I think they're going in the right way with it. And when we do get used to it, I'd say it will feel more dynamic and smooth for everyone.

• Beans 1

So, I played around with Stamina again this morning.  While I still think it is far too severe, it's closer than my edit above guessed (just a quick opinion after a few tests).

My guy was carrying this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378509439

It weighed around 16 kg.  I'd call him minimally-fully geared.  In a normal game, I'd have a pot, a stove, some morphine, a bit of food, compass, etc.  With that kit he could sprint to the gate in this pic (18 full strides):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378509356

While that doesn't look entirely unreasonable in game, I suspect it's less than 50 m.  That certainly seems too low.  Further, dropping all my gear, I could sprint to this fence (38 full strides) :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378509270

Someone who is better at judging in game distance, please chime in, but I suspect that's less than 100 m.  Way too low.

Recognizing we're talking about a WIP, I would think it could be fixed (so that it's still an effective method to make you consider the costs of sprinting, yet not totally a pain in the ass making the game un-fun) by the following:

1.  "Free" kg for the first 4-7?  I.e., your stamina bar doesn't shrink until you exceed this.  Then, with a minimal setup (pants, jacket,shoes, pistol, axe), you would have your full bar.  It seems a bit ludicrous that my character putting on a shirt or shoes would limit his sprinting abilities.  Especially considering he's a beast who jogs/sprints everywhere he goes.  

2.  Adjust some item weights.  A Gorka weighs 2 kg (this hunting jacket barely weighs 1 kg:  http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/closeout/inferno-lightweight-jacket whereas in-game an empty M65 weighs 2 kg).  That's nuts; those tops are too heavy.  I have entire ski suits that weigh less than that.  A can opener weighs 1 kg!  That's at least 5x too high.  I'm sure you could run through all items can come up with many adjustments.  

3.  Increase the sprinting ability by around 50%  In other words, carrying nothing, it's not unreasonable to think my guy could sprint 150 m.  Especially considering we're missing a "run" setting (i.e., we can walk, jog, or sprint).  Loaded as in my first pic, I could probably sprint the same distance as shown in the third.  

Anyway, just spit-balling.  Again, this morning, I was so happy with the way the game looks.  Really nice job there.

Edit: typos

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

Yes, stamina bar and item weight need some tweaking for sure, but I really enjoy the 0.63 build overall and I believe the Dayz Dev. team did a fantastic job on it, and it`s much closer to the standard of other shooter games, and some of the new weapon animations looks simply amazing. :)  

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

so far I could stay away from the infection of 0.63 .... but it's hard.

As far as the stamina reports are concerned, it is certainly a bit too strict. But: it is better to get a new feature with heavy impact, to later correct it into better and more realistic areas, than to make it harder later.

The 2nd: accessing the inventory is only possible if there is a reason in the network / server priority, as the changes in the character inventory are made without changing your location information. Of course it is annoying, but the server will run more stable because it has to control your character data (positions datas and inventory datas are 2 separated things).

• Like 2
  • Beans 2

And while we're at stamina, I don't think you'd be able to run more and have more stamina if you even took off your shoes :D Overall weight on you is just that much but still you would probably run faster and longer with some shoes than someone who is chasing you bare foot.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I do not know if it's planned. As far as clothing is concerned, in addition to weight, it could also have a value that positively or negatively affects your stamina. (Mountain boots are less good for running than sports shoes, on the road, in forest or rocky terrain it's the other way round.)

A jogging dress should have a positive influence on the stamina, but the weather resistance is low.

The question arises whether the Stamina bar has static +/- values in consumption / recovery or whether this decrease / increase occurs dynamically, depending on the type of shoes / clothing.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

I do not know if it's planned. As far as clothing is concerned, in addition to weight, it could also have a value that positively or negatively affects your stamina. (Mountain boots are less good for running than sports shoes, on the road, in forest or rocky terrain it's the other way round.)

A jogging dress should have a positive influence on the stamina, but the weather resistance is low.

The question arises whether the Stamina bar has static +/- values in consumption / recovery or whether this decrease / increase occurs dynamically, depending on the type of shoes / clothing.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw this about with shoes / without shoes. Some positive or negative values, although it does make it even more complex for a first person shooter, it's not more then what RPGs have. Meaning items that increase some stats or add bonuses for your character. I like this way of translating it into a game like Dayz. Also sounds from running in sneakers as opposed to running in working/military boots. I'll be very happy if any of these other fine details make it into the game.

17 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

1.  "Free" kg for the first 4-7?  I.e., you're stamina bar doesn't shrink until you exceed this.  Then, with a minimal setup (pants, jacket,shoes, pistol, axe), you would have your full bar.  It seems a bit ludicrous that my character putting on a shirt or shoes would limit his sprinting abilities.  Especially considering he's a beast who jogs/sprints everywhere he goes.

But don't forget that characters did originally spawn without any gear, just basic clothing. This is when you should get that full stamina, which is a small bonus actually if you go barehanded against someone who is armed :D Also I think having an axe on your back, especially anything in your hands while sprinting should slow you down.

Another thing is to have a pistol held in a pocket, or just carried in a backpack, as opposed to carrying your gun in a gun holster. There should be some fine differences there.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Amazing writeup.  Waiting patiently for .63 and then intend to fully reintegrate dayz into my daily life again.  Very excited for all new content.  Havent played yet to see how it affects gameplay but not sure if they wouod really need to improve stamina.  Im 33 yrs old and not in the best shape but not 400 pounds either.  If i was to sprint 100m as hard as i can while carrying nothing at all irl i would probably need close to an hour to recover.  Half an hour foresure.  Though i am not the best example i imagine if u took a random sample of 25 random men and women (age 25-40) i bet less than 10 of them could actually full on sprint for 100m without suffering severely after.

Sounds encouraging.  Did you get a sense for the survival mechanics (food, thirst, body temp, etc)?

4 hours ago, bfisher said:

Sounds encouraging.  Did you get a sense for the survival mechanics (food, thirst, body temp, etc)?

You mean the icons in-game? It's pretty straightforward, at least for me it was. When there is one or multiple arrows up, you're gaining blood, hunger, thirst, etc. An arrow down or multiple arrows down mean you're losing something. If there are no arrows it means you're good on that part or miss the requirements to gain or lose something.

Hunger and thirst will always deplete with at least 1 arrow and depletion depends on what your character does  (stand still, jog, sprint, etc). If you drink enough you notice that the glass isn't gaining or losing anything for a very small time period, this means that you managed to reach your maximum hydration level. Maximum calorie level is hard to reach because that was 20 k in 0.62, not sure if this still is the case.

11 hours ago, bfisher said:

In addition to IMT's comment, I believe temp, wetness, and sickness may be turned off (I swam in a pond and didn't get wet or cold; I constantly drank pond water, but missed my opportunity to eat both raw and burnt steaks).

4 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

In addition to IMT's comment, I believe temp, wetness, and sickness may be turned off (I swam in a pond and didn't get wet or cold; I constantly drank pond water, but missed my opportunity to eat both raw and burnt steaks).

I think so too, I've been eating raw chicken and drinking from ponds in an attempt to get sick - but no joy.  Took a swim to prison island and there seems to be no wet status either. 

Also worth a note:  You can carry a backpack while swimming!   It's probably a bug though.  You enter the water carrying a bag in your hands, the bag disappears.  Swim to wherever you are going (there's no bag visible while swimming).  When you eventually exit the water, the bag is in your hands again - Tada!

Just how do you play .63 offline? When I update the Day Z Beta on Steam, all I get is the 'regular" 0.63 options, no offline

@Whyherro123

Go on DayZ in Steam libary and RightClick "DayZ". On the dropdown list you found the offline option.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:06 AM, emuthreat said:

Some impressions:

Holy crap!  Cows drop twenty steaks apiece.  I shot two (both surprising one-hit kills with IZH rifle) and spent the better part of a half hour cooking and eating to avoid wasting any, and I still hauled a dozen raw steaks up to Tisy by the time it was all said and done.
Badly damaged hunting knife yielded consistently between 82% and 86% cuts of meat from a few different chickens.
Zombies will kill you with one hit if their first charging attack lands.  I learned very quickly to get on top of someplace safe and clear the area, rather than risk being surprised.
Eating chicken and steak takes 5 to 7 seconds each, while beans, tacbac, and tuna take around 20 seconds to fully consume.
Stones are somewhat hard to come by, and knives will ruin after less than 10 uses in most cases.

Finally someone discusses features I care about. Please tell me - are there any developments in animal behaviour? Like, there's this story that another separate team from some hunting game works on our animals? Although I'm quite sure you'd describe any bigger differences, so I think I already know the answer.;)

Any new animals?

Any new crafting options? I was especially interested in those little craftable tents, but new bows and crossbow bolts would also be interesting.

Any other survival-related features? New plants, brought-back rabbit snares or those sea fish traps?

Are you considering purposefully infecting yourself with that blood-stained-hands disease? I know you are.;)

Sorry to bother you, but I'm not coming back to DayZ until somebody tells me it's playable. But I follow what you all write.

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Finally someone discusses features I care about. Please tell me - are there any developments in animal behaviour? Like, there's this story that another separate team from some hunting game works on our animals? Although I'm quite sure you'd describe any bigger differences, so I think I already know the answer.;)

Any new animals?

Any new crafting options? I was especially interested in those little craftable tents, but new bows and crossbow bolts would also be interesting.

Any other survival-related features? New plants, brought-back rabbit snares or those sea fish traps?

Are you considering purposefully infecting yourself with that blood-stained-hands disease? I know you are.;)

Sorry to bother you, but I'm not coming back to DayZ until somebody tells me it's playable. But I follow what you all write.

No, at the moment this is really new the new animation system coupled to the playercontroller is new. There are many things missing compared to 0.62. The stress test version is a raw build of the new engine. The focus is clearly on server load and network. Only the experimental version, and since certainly not the first version at the start, will contain the things you are waiting for.

• Beans 1

9 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

No, at the moment this is really new the new animation system coupled to the playercontroller is new. There are many things missing compared to 0.62. The stress test version is a raw build of the new engine. The focus is clearly on server load and network. Only the experimental version, and since certainly not the first version at the start, will contain the things you are waiting for.

Ok, got it, thanks. And that's what I'd thought at first (that's what we were told), but since people reported new features, I thought maybe we're already given the full or almost full version.

• Beans 1