Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

14 minutes ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

5KuZydX.jpg

... so comooooooon you adored DayzGod!!!

I hope it's not a fakeout , as this has been updated on steam db a few times over the past couple weeks ... Let's hope and pray together yall !

2 minutes ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

Yeah... we should be cautiosly optimistic ^^

One day we'll be right :)

• Like 2

the hype train stops at teardrops main rail station. Don't get excited yet.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

Seems not be be read ion the status report thread.

Will the new server browser encompass a "quick report" function, so we can just report a join/kick server after our pleasant stay? I know this might touch business interests, so I don't hold my hopes high, but still ... can't resist asking.

I think something like this is very tricky as it would be abused a lot, so you immediately give the server hosters more work going through the garbage, people can report servers for anything. Salty hackers that are banned for example. :)

7 hours ago, barelyinfected said:

I think something like this is very tricky as it would be abused a lot, so you immediately give the server hosters more work going through the garbage, people can report servers for anything. Salty hackers that are banned for example. :)

Well, you could and should ignore single reports. The current system is a joke however. It basically is a system designed to keep people from reporting server abuse. Since YEARS the server list is filled with the join=kick stuff, ironically quite a few servers even state that they disregard server rules by their very server name and yet nothing happens. I once or twice reported a server - basically a pointless exercise since in most cases nothing happens.

I do think the treshold for server reporting needs to be a lot lower ... currently it's almost as cumbersome as writing a job application and has similar chances for success. Sure people can report servers for anything, but it's a difference, if a server is reported 5 times or 500 times a month. In the latter case the server should be reviewed. Or if the server name is "join=ban" there is not that much investigation needed.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2016 at 7:59 AM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Especially moving through .60, .61, and future updates that include massive technology changes such as the animation system and related player controller, user actions, etc.

What new engine changes will we see ultimately? New sound tech, animation, the way the player interacts with the world are the ones I can think of off the bat, plus what I assume are additions to the renderer like the dynamic lights. Are there any features I missed? I have vague memories of a new particle system or something coming in at some point - I don't know if that's a thing. I assume there'll be changes to the physics system, I think you might have mentioned that in regards to vehicles. Of course I understand if there are any features you don't want to announce just yet, but I thought I'd ask.

As a sort of side note, I would love to see proper volumetric lighting - proper god rays. I've been playing Stalker a lot recently and it is honestly one of the nicest visual effects I have seen in any game - you don't see it often.

I think it`s great changes to this new 0.61 patch - it will be more difficult to camp and snipe without freezing and shaking without heatpacks or warm clothing. And it will be a tough environment for sure when it start to rain - I wish hard environments is on the plan in future dayz vanilla updates too including snow or blizzards.

I mention this, because with weapon sway based on breathing that so many unexperienced dayz players hate with this game - I`m talking about popular twitch streamers like @Lirik - that younger generation of players are used to H1z1 difficulties which doesn`t reflect breathing and weapon sway when you`re tired at all. And Dayz need to avoid that and completely remove weapon sway from the game, because it will be too easy to hit someone even with bullet physics without weapon sway. And with hard weather environments - it will be much harder to use camp strategies and those who enjoy that type of gaming need to really prepare for a camp with heatpacks for instant and wool clothing to keep warm and pray it doesn`t rain.

Ideally 4 seasons with winter & Summer tempratures. The only annoying game mechanic in my view is related to weapon ammunition and damage status. I think it`s great that weapons need to use cleaning kits once in a while so the weapon doesn`t decay, but it shouldn`t  be an issue to fire with it unless the weapon is in bad damage state. I think the development team should remove damage status on ammo in general so weapons doesn`t have issues to fire properly, because it`s not a system in place to mend ammunition, @Hicks_206 (DayZ) 

And to remove damage status on ammunition in general is a step in the right direction in my opinion. 

Edited by ori42
  • Like 3

@ori42 said

"And to remove damage status on ammunition in general is a step in the right direction in my opinion"

This is a good suggestion, as it really seems redundant in the general scheme of things. 

Ammo is hard to "damage" and just having a random weapon malfunction (misfire, double feed, bent mag) would be a better way of keeping it interesting in my opinion.

The one exception of course is shotgun shells, as they are far more susceptible to moisture and impact damage.

@ori42  I don't' know what you are talking about with hard weather disincentivizing camp strategies.  If the weather is so cold that you constantly consume extra calories to stay warm, then camps will become almost a necessity, and certainly a go-to strategy for groups playing.  The drawbacks of maintaining and securing camps would be heavily overshadowed by the burden of players having to carry excess survival with them all the time, rather than just keeping a network of camps supplied to ensure proper health and comfort.  It only takes a person or two to feed an army; two man-hours of hunting and cooking by an experienced and savvy player can support twelve man-hours of playtime, including lots of sprint distance running and healing a few minor injuries.

Camps are boss, survival is king; and .61 better give me back my goats, boars, sheep and foxes, and the other fucking half of every puffinwaxin' fish I catch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

@ori42  I don't' know what you are talking about with hard weather disincentivizing camp strategies.

I take it he means, sitting in a treeline overwatching Myshkino tents during a downpour or some other popular pvp spot for hours on end waiting for people to wander by. Otherwise yea camps seem like a great thing, i remember several patches ago when it was hard to stay warm and having to make emergency fires under the boughs of trees just to keep myself from freezing to death during downpours, i really like when the environment can demand you alter your plans on a moments notice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Volcanogod said:

I take it he means, sitting in a treeline overwatching Myshkino tents during a downpour or some other popular pvp spot for hours on end waiting for people to wander by. Otherwise yea camps seem like a great thing, i remember several patches ago when it was hard to stay warm and having to make emergency fires under the boughs of trees just to keep myself from freezing to death during downpours, i really like when the environment can demand you alter your plans on a moments notice.

I responded without quoting, before the edit for clarity.  My point still stands that both meanings of the term "camp" will become codependent as the game design progresses.  Hopefully, .61 will mean that preparation is necessary for survival beyond a couple hours.

No more lone-wolfing the coast in a YOLO meatbag without some tact.  No more running back to NWAF and grabbing a gun from friends, unless you have a couple food stashes on the way.

I see it as a good thing that harsher conditions will force "campers" to set up support 'camps' to mitigate environmental factors that may limit their ability to "camp"
As dead Exhibit Memes might say: Yo dawg, I heard you like camping, so I put a camp in your campsite, so you can camp while you're camping. I'd like to see how the game evolves under those conditions.

Long term strategy over short term entertainment; I hope that's where .61 leads to.

• Like 3

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) next status report can you tell us, in technical terms, what is wrong? Describe the blockers is what I mean. Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I responded without quoting, before the edit for clarity.  My point still stands that both meanings of the term "camp" will become codependent as the game design progresses.  Hopefully, .61 will mean that preparation is necessary for survival beyond a couple hours.

No more lone-wolfing the coast in a YOLO meatbag without some tact.  No more running back to NWAF and grabbing a gun from friends, unless you have a couple food stashes on the way.

I see it as a good thing that harsher conditions will force "campers" to set up support 'camps' to mitigate environmental factors that may limit their ability to "camp"
As dead Exhibit Memes might say: Yo dawg, I heard you like camping, so I put a camp in your campsite, so you can camp while you're camping. I'd like to see how the game evolves under those conditions.

Long term strategy over short term entertainment; I hope that's where .61 leads to.

Yes, there are some players who watch certain key locations of the map for hours and wait for other players to wander nearby without worring about temprature in 0.60 stable patch. But with the new patch 0.61 it will be harder to use similar strategies which is great, and guys who play like that need to create fireplace nearby to keep warm if it`s raining for instant, and gather other items like heatpacks to stay warm. My point is it will be harder to sit still in a sniper location for a long period of time unless you are well geared for the task. It`s good when players need to focus on survival items in my opinion.   

Edited by ori42
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ori42 said:

Yes, there are some players who watch certain key locations of the map for hours and wait for other players to wander nearby without worring about temprature in 0.60 stable patch.

And stupid zombies cant climb ladders

1 hour ago, igor-vk said:

And stupid zombies cant climb ladders

Nor can half of the players it seems.

• Like 6

The problem I foresee with granting the Infected the ability to climb ladders is the inherent risk of having their nav mesh pathfinding all screwed up until we end up with half the allotment of Infected on the server just aimlessly stuck on platforms, rooftops, hunting stands, etc.

It is reasonable to assume that they are incapable of complex motor skills due to their damaged state and it also has enough of a meta game to it because a ladder surrounded by a couple Infected is just as deadly as having them climb up after you.

These kinds of tweaks should (in my opinion, of course) be left until the game goes 1.0 and we see what exactly we get in terms of CLE and world performance issues.

I am absolutely all for having the Infected play a larger (and more frequent) role in your adventures...but remember just how idiotic and server-loading the Ai was in the mod?

If leaving upper floors and ladder-accessible areas free of the Dead-Heads helps performance and allows larger Hordes then I vote NO to vertically-mobile AI.

Edited by philbur
because I can't spell

2 hours ago, boneboys said:

Nor can half of the players it seems.

or they´re doin it allnightlooong ^^... eeh with their tire in their hands.

JSaG9qK.jpg

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
  • Like 1

I had a feeling this topic would be difficult to keep on track.

Especially without much pre-release content to pick over.

/open vent

When I read 90% of posts on this forum and see the lack of understanding of the core concept for DayZ, and see the lack of understanding for the reasons of the current state of the game; I begin to sympathize more and more with the devs who have to suffer wholesale ignorance at every turn.

People DO NOT follow the development of this project very closely but invest massive amounts of time playing and think that makes them knowledgeable.

If you are paying attention you'll see the chaotic mix of random people popping up on here posting the oldest bugs and glitches and posting the same complaints as if this forum was started 2 weeks ago.

Endless new people with very little understanding of the game they bought outside how they taught themselves how to play the broken feature poor ALPHA.

From a design perspective, DayZ has been discussed here for nearly 4 1/2 years!

/close vent

Bring on .61!~

Bring on the Zambeez!

Release the hounds already!  :D

• Like 7

9 hours ago, igor-vk said:

I vote YES to vertically-mobile AI. That is also big NO for campers.

It would also be one hell of a giveaway to hear a shot ring out in a large city, and then see six infected doing a conga line up the ladder.  It removes any doubt as to which building the shot came from, which is kinda lame.  In the case of apartment blocks, TEC buildings, and hospitals, they basically form a barricade for the snipers as it is now.
Their brains are like a sack of two-week-old scrambled eggs, why should they have such capable sound source tracking skills?

Even with the new sound system, I doubt that a player would be able to know which specific floor and room to go looking for a shot they hear from 200 meters away.

• Like 1

You just dont understand. Players should be the one that is hunted, from everything and everywhere he goes. Its enough of easy DayZ. Bring us zombie hordes, smart zombies, hungry wolves, bears, diseases.

I just cant play dayz in its current state. When I see YT videos where players stand in the middle of the street and chat for 5 minutes it makes me sick. I played the mod last week and it took me 10 minutes to crawl trough Kabanino. We need fear, we need misery, we shouldnt be safe anywhere. Maybe in walled in base in middle of woods or in barricaded house.

Edited by igor-vk
  • Like 5

I'm totally on board with infected becoming more dangerous, but climbing ladders just seems out of place right now.  I suppose I would be more on board with climbing ladders (even though it is a stretch of the imagination to believe they would have the presence of mind and dexterity to do so) if the aggro on gunshots was not so unbelievably precise.

Ideally, gunshot detection should cause zombies to travel in the direction of the gunshot in an increased state of awareness, and at a slightly higher speed than when idle.  In this aroused state, they would be more keen to footsteps, eating, reloading,  door-opening and bandaging noises. I'm interested to see what new changes to zombie behavior will be possible with the new sound system.  I saw the demonstration of gunshots as heard from different distances.  It makes sense that if the gunshots register at different intensities for players, the infected audio sensors can trigger different levels and precision of aggro based on how close the shot was.

I think we are pretty close on this one, but for me, the ultra-precise aggro kinda ruins the ladder climbing concept.  If I fire off a shot from the Elektro firehouse while prone, it would be absurd for 20 infected to rush to the very top within a minute.  It would be awesome though, if the immediate area became so swarmed that I would need major help to get back down.

• Like 3

You are over complicating here. Infected re alive humans with left over instincts for feeding and probably urge to make your life complicated. I  dont know if you played dayz mod or Arma 3 mods. I played almost all of them. Zombies/infected are mostly dumb AI. One, two, even six or seven are easy to evade and lose if you are just running trough town. But if you stop to pick up loot or bandage shit gets real. I was in dozens of situations when I was on roof shooting and getting shot at and two assholes sneak from behind and start punching. Or I stop to pick up weapon and ammo and while messing with inventory (all BI games have terribly complicated inventories) and they catch up and start hitting. Those moments of pannick are awesome and bring adrenaline to high limit.

They will never outsmart you, but if you lose concetration for a second they will punish you.  

• Like 2