Konfucious K

O.60 Servers are up?

9 minutes ago, DaveB said:

The 0.60 Exp topic will be created in the following sub-forum: https://forums.dayz.com/forum/135-experimental-patch-discussion/

That's gonna be one hell of a topic.  The .59 experimental discussion made it to 102 pages in a little over two months, six pages in the first day.  I think we can do better than that.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

Pretty interesting to see that they're gonna show 0.60 at PAX, but I won't be watching, as I've always played Experimental instead of watching it. Discovering new things in experimental builds has always been something I've look forward to in the past, since experimental first came out, and having it spoiled at PAX will just ruin the experience for me. 

It's pretty sad to see them show it and have it played exclusively at PAX.  :( 

After all this wait. Never been complaining before about this, or anything really, but it feels like a big FU to the rest of the community who won't be at PAX. It could also mean they will show experimental 0.60 at PAX, and push it to stable next week. I really don't see the point of showing it there, but locking the servers so the rest of the community can't play, test, and report bugs. In other circumstances it would have been interesting to see upcoming features at PAX, but in the current situation, it just feels weird and quite frankly, like a slap to the face to the experimental team.

Don't get me wrong, it's just a week-end and it'll pass very fast, it's not about time, it's about spoiling the fun for the discoveries. (Thus why I'll avoid the PAX vids, streams and what-not, to be able to test 0.60 myself, otherwise I won't have any reason too.)

I had to think on this a bit before I could decide if I agree or not and I found I do.

I have the distinct impression that .60 is ready and they are holding it for PAX.

It's a super shitty way to try to get more viewers for the stream and a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who have waited so long.

So this makes for a succession of poor or false information from the devs in recent months:

We were given an estimate of February and that fell short by more than an entire quarter.

It was said they would not hold the patch for a status report or event and now it seems they are doing just that.

The devs said dynamic infected spawn was confirmed for .60 and now that was pushed back too.

DayZ does not need more hype, subscriptions, or even units sold, at this point.

DayZ needs data logs and people testing in large groups.

• Like 1

I assume its just a good old long time performance test., to determine if everything runs stable and there are no "my server crashes after 24 hours" bugs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I had to think on this a bit before I could decide if I agree or not and I found I do.

I have the distinct impression that .60 is ready and they are holding it for PAX.

It's a super shitty way to try to get more viewers for the stream and a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who have waited so long.

So this makes for a succession of poor or false information from the devs in recent months:

We were given an estimate of February and that fell short by more than an entire quarter.

It was said they would not hold the patch for a status report or event and now it seems they are doing just that.

The devs said dynamic infected spawn was confirmed for .60 and now that was pushed back too.

DayZ does not need more hype, subscriptions, or even units sold, at this point.

DayZ needs data logs and people testing in large groups.

I don't know. Are you saying it's been ready for a while now?

I can see it being ready maybe a couple of days ago an so they're holding it for PAX. I don't see a problem with that. Now that all these clues are surfacing that .60 is close, however, I am getting very impatient - I don't really care for months, and now it's (maybe) days away I cannot wait.

Who knows, maybe they plan to release .60 in time for PAX so they can join a full server or something (though people running around in dresses and fire extnguishers might not be the best way to show off .60). Maybe we're looking at it too closely. Given that the devs have made numerous comments about how badly they want to release .60 I can't imagine they'd want to purposefully push it back - not for more than a day or two anyway.

19 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

I don't know. Are you saying it's been ready for a while now?

I can see it being ready maybe a couple of days ago an so they're holding it for PAX. I don't see a problem with that. Now that all these clues are surfacing that .60 is close, however, I am getting very impatient - I don't really care for months, and now it's (maybe) days away I cannot wait.

Who knows, maybe they plan to release .60 in time for PAX so they can join a full server or something (though people running around in dresses and fire extnguishers might not be the best way to show off .60). Maybe we're looking at it too closely. Given that the devs have made numerous comments about how badly they want to release .60 I can't imagine they'd want to purposefully push it back - not for more than a day or two anyway.

I am saying it was ready yesterday.

A day or 2 is a day or 2 too much when you have been waiting this long.

1 minute ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I am saying it was ready yesterday.

A day or 2 is a day or 2 too much when you have been waiting this long.

I suppose it'll actually be four days, given that it probably won't be released over the weekend.

It's annoying (if they are indeed holding its release) but understandable. Though also not understandable because I'm pretty keen on playing .60 this weekend. I don't now what to think any more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeefBacon said:

I suppose it'll actually be four days, given that it probably won't be released over the weekend.

It's annoying (if they are indeed holding its release) but understandable. Though also not understandable because I'm pretty keen on playing .60 this weekend. I don't now what to think any more.

This is why I needed time to chew over Odin's post.

I understand it (holding the patch for PAX) but I do not believe they stand to gain much if anything other than some disdain from their dedicated player base.

I haven't played in 3 months but check the forum at least every couple days, this was worth logging in to post though. 

If they're holding a working build to gain hype for new players as an existing game owner (2 copies) my jimmies would be slightly rustled.

Looking forward to something new to get me back into the game either way.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I haven't played in 3 months but check the forum at least every couple days, this was worth logging in to post though. 

If they're holding a working build to gain hype for new players as an existing game owner (2 copies) my jimmies would be slightly rustled.

Ebrim's back, now Basher!

Woooooo!

Experimental maniacs, unite!

I'm watching Alone right now, the Vancouver Island based survival show/competition.... you probably would find these people silly.

• Like 2

Sad thing about this, when exp will release, first day thousands will try join server. A day or two later, people will whine to have it on stable. I'm excited to get in, try break some things and test. Most of ppl will just do some sightseeing and come back cry.

Edited by DaveB

2 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Ebrim's back, now Basher!

Woooooo!

Experimental maniacs, unite!

I'm watching Alone right now, the Vancouver Island based survival show/competition.... you probably would find these people silly.

I got my fill last EXP and the vehicles on stable left a bad taste in my mouth so caught up on some other games, I have been lurking waiting for this news though.

Oh, mom and pops were watching that last night didn't realize it was local.

My family need our own reality show called "hold my beer and watch this s*&^".

• Like 3

Hmmm, strange looking SteamDB activity....

There's a block with both stableprep and experimentalprep (I don't think I've seen that before), and the last action has a rollback?

If they release the patch at PAX today, I will take back what I said about being hype mongers, and it will be a great PR move.

Ready yesterday, released verbally by Hicks at the end of stream?

That would be smart, that would be win/win.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

In the same boat. Miss this game, but wanted to wait for something substantial to make a return. .60 looks to be a decent step forward.

• Like 2

I won't even boot up to look for TEST servers or .60 servers because I want my Steam to show "Last played February 1".

-_-

• Like 1

Nvm. it was there.

Edited by St. Jimmy

So, no PAX stream until tomorrow....

That makes me believe Monday or some day next week for public release.

Of course, I'm out of town for a few days next week so it would have to be the week .60 drops.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

So, I could understand that a 0.60 build exists that meets some criteria for playability for exp release and they might hold it just to control the unveiling for PAX. But, as has been pointed out, that sort of flies in the face of what the devs have said to us existing players about wanting to release it as soon as possible. Call me naive but unless we get really clear evidence to the contrary I see no reason not to take the devs at their word. It's entirely possible that the streaming build for PAX is not quite to the standard that they want for an exp release. The quantity of people trying to "break it" in these scenarios are wildly different.

I'm super excited for the exp release but in the relative time since 0.59 a couple days isn't a big ask and I don't think the team want to give such easy ammunition to the haters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Ready yesterday, released verbally by Hicks at the end of stream?

As a pessimist I doubt it, but that'd be all kinds of wonderful. Hicks standing on a stage saying ".60 is LIVE", pyrotechnics go off behind him. "Look under your chairs and you'll find your very own DayZ .60!"

I would approve of that immensely.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

So, no PAX stream until tomorrow....

That makes me believe Monday or some day next week for public release.

Of course, I'm out of town for a few days next week so it would have to be the week .60 drops.

I have the same luck here, Bio.  Been sitting on my hands for weeks during the seasonal slump in my industry, and now that my schedule started to fill, here comes .60.  Praise be Murphy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ebrim said:

So, I could understand that a 0.60 build exists that meets some criteria for playability for exp release and they might hold it just to control the unveiling for PAX. But, as has been pointed out, that sort of flies in the face of what the devs have said to us existing players about wanting to release it as soon as possible. Call me naive but unless we get really clear evidence to the contrary I see no reason not to take the devs at their word. It's entirely possible that the streaming build for PAX is not quite to the standard that they want for an exp release. The quantity of people trying to "break it" in these scenarios are wildly different.

I'm super excited for the exp release but in the relative time since 0.59 a couple days isn't a big ask and I don't think the team want to give such easy ammunition to the haters.

Who besides a few people hanging around here, actually try to 'break' experimental builds?  On .59 exp, I saw more KOS than ever.  I suppose it is possible that someone was genuinely curious at to what would happen if they shot a player at the exact moment that he (I) leaned down to skin a chicken, but I suspect that they were just following their orders to be a complete douche-nozzle in every village on the map.  I feel like that long downtime between patches brings too many "undesirables" to experimental builds lately; just looking for a place free of hackers, so they can kill everything they see in peace.

• Like 1

If I was a marketing professional, and I haven't been in about 6 years, I could hypothesise that PAX is being used to publicise 0.6 and the fancy new engine, and E3, will be final version/Beta date announcement for the eventual 1.0 release in the Autumn/Holidays. Now I can look at these recent delays in two ways; 1) not giving me much hope and everything is late in development or 2) Everything is on time and the release of the next few features and engine can be crucial to the games launch success so anything exciting is being held back for industry events.

All-in-all I would be pretty pissed off that we were being made wait just so BI can have an ego and sales boost, but I fully understand and support such a marketing model. The fan in me says I want it yesterday! Thj servers are up and it means I can play! But the mature adult says, they need too do it right across the board so we can all be happy come final release, and that includes getting the media exposure which will bring all those fresh noobs for us to skin.

• Like 1

Haha - I got to laugh - reading this thread I sense the FEAR in the game; the difference between 0.59 and 0. 60 is FEAR...

It used to be that Danger and DEATH made you feel FEAR. Wow! Getting killed! That was Bad!  Do you remember that old game called 'DayZ' where if you died you had to start the whole thing over again right from zero with nothing? - does anyone remember that?

This year, the big FEAR players have is they might get killed before their tents are stashed with loot -  because that's a pisser and a pain in the neck, aint it (getting killed before you have your good stash built up, that kind of wastes your time) ?

So in the new DayZ when you get "killed" you go back to your 5 AKs and 3 FALS, your handguns and police pistols, couple of Winchesters, and - hey - some grenades, food even (yeah, why not?) and your 14 mags and 2000 rounds of ammo - so what just happened when you DIED ?

- nothing happened.

OK! Right now in this 59 Patch everyone has had plenty of time to get all their tents and barrels filled up - That means nobody is interested if they die or not.
We need all that STASH taken away, so we can start playing again, and start feeling maybe a little bit worried again. 0.60 will do that !

That new 0.60 FEAR should last a week or maybe two. Then when the stashes are well stocked up and everyone's safe again, players can settle back into  "Did something happen? Nope.."

- nothing happened.

Oh come on now, @pilgrim* you've been ranting all over these forums for the past week about how death means nothing anymore, and that you don't like it.  I must ask you:  Did you play the mod?  I never did, but I think that finding tents was something that people looked back upon with fondness.  I was aware of the game for some time, but I was waiting for persistence to be included.  Persistence; you know, that game-changing design decision that allowed players to build a life on a server by accumulating and storing the things that complement their playstyle?   Remember now, that nothing is "safe" as long as it is stored on the server.  So that fear is still there; that fear of loss, that makes the value of one life seem insignificant.  What do you care if I found dozens of FALs while looking for a pristine green cowboy hat, and didn't have the heart to let them despawn?  What do you care if I have a tent full of charcoal, antibiotics, morphine and epipens; another full of cooking pots and tripods; and another tent where I keep my dozens of pelts--so I can look at them at the end of the day, and tell myself that my time was not wasted, that I am an important man, I can feed the poor, and I'm gonna make Chernarus great again?

That fear that you speak of?  Well, if you have been playing the game, you would know that players of the habits that you so frequently denigrate are now beyond fear, beyond the sorrows of loss; for the Great Hicks has shown us the way to salvation!!  He heralded the arrival of 8-day, interaction-dependent, persistent storage CLEanup.  It is currently broken as shit.  Tents set down two days ago, and dutifully stuffed full of gear, have been despawning.  Persistence is in chaos, so I guess you got your wish.  Are you sure DayZ is the right game for you?  Persistence is a design decision.  You seem to be whole-heartedly against it.  I look forward to the empires that can be built, and the feeling of loss when it all burns down.

What U want out of this game?  I can assure you, persistence-based play facilitates many player interactions that would not otherwise be possible.

Spoiler

SEE? Just wait until we figure out how to use radio stations.... 

Edit: When a player gets killed and "nothing happens," that is because the killer who killed them has no patience, or foresight.  If instead of just killing the player, they had tracked the person back to their camp, and then kill them,   something more impactful might have happened.  So let the coastal PVP, KOS scrubletts keep giving each other's worthless cadavers ever-more-meaningless bullet massages.  We skilled players will bide our time, try to make contact, maybe sacrificing one of our many meaningless lives in the process of determining the temperament of the stranger; and then go rob the sonsofbitches for all they're worth if they turn out to be shitheads.

Even if you are playing on a hi-pop, PVP server where everybody is a dimensional traveler from their own personal armory server, you can still do a bit of research (reads:  cyberstalking) and take a stab at paying them a visit on their home turf.  The true King of DayZ will be a master of all these parallel dimensions.

Edited by emuthreat
nothing happened...
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

-snip-

^This

I am less bothered by the fact that people can stash gear for a later life (and think that the game would be severely lacking if some form of storage wasn't implemented. In essence, you wouldn't be able to "grow"), than by the existence of players that buy/obtain alternate accounts for the sole purpose of holding gear.

If something is in a tent/stash on the map, no matter how remote, it can still be found and used. If it exists in a sequence of 1s and 0s, and the only way you are gonna see the gear is when the player logs in, well, that just shits in your cheerios. doesn't it?

It doesn't matter if more gear respawns to replace what is "missing" from the server, it is the principle of the thing.