Kohlbar

Picking up your gear after you die.

Hi, just wondering does anybody else feel deeply bothered by looting up their own previous character's dead body? I've been told I'm crazy for feeling like this, but whenever I die in game, I just really dislike going back and getting my own gear. I don't even like seeing my own dead body; I would much rather scratch the previous character completely and start fresh on a different one. It makes me feel kinda bad when I'm with a friend and they're like "I'll save your gear for you!", but I just tell them to take any of my stuff if they want it or hide the body. For me it just ruins the immersion and feeling of the game to go back and put on the same clothes and use the same gun I died with. Anybody else feel like this?

• Like 4

I don't like the system either - but I lack a good proposal at the moment, since the body SHOULD be lootable for other people (which in turn should not be able to loot it for yourself). Bit of a quagmire.

• Like 3

The best solution for this would probably be to have a long spawn timer for respawning on the server. long enough for the body to despawn. I don't know what its at now but something like ten minutes. Its not so fun though if you are playing with other people but it does remove the annoyance of having to fight the same person three, four times in a row, which has happened to me.

I actually prefer to respawn far from my body, that way I know theres no reason to go back as it will be gone. When I spawn nearby I always do it though, strangely enough. Its hard not to.

• Like 1

As for looting my corpse:

The only time I even think about doing it is when I am running in a group and want to get back in the action. But these days I run solo, so I always start over completely. I dont have a philosophy on the issue, nor do I care either way.. but for me it ruins the game if Im solo and run into my dead body. Its like nothing even happened to me, which is sort of pointless. 

As for fixing the issue (with some work on the devs part):

There are some things that can be done to help stop it.. but I dont know that it should even be a focus. Ever. People will find ways around any kind of deterrent so in the end it would only hurt the lone player who attempts to get back to his gear. I say in the best case, players spawn as far away from their death location as the game will allow within set parameters that do not force too many players to spawn in the same area at any given time.

• Like 1

Even when I want to, I almost never make it back to my body anyway. I think things are designed this way so someone shooting/killing you can reap the rewards. And not so we can loot ourselves. The problem is - in the future there will be more deaths to zombies. I liked how in the mod these graves could sometimes draw the attention of different parties arriving around the same time. I think maybe dead bodies should be handled differently in the future. The 10 minute timer can be reduced (everytime you access the dead's inventory the time resets anyway). While players that have been gnawed up by infected could leave a corpse with their belongings around for an hour or more. That way a) we could distinguish cause of death b) we would get an extra loot opportunity with PvE (and PvP, if there are other players). 

Edited by S3V3N

After death, player should turn into corpse that you cant move. And maybe scatered some of your gear around. What really bothers me is that animals and players just vanish after you gut them.

And I miss flies buzzing sound!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

Hi, just wondering does anybody else feel deeply bothered by looting up their own previous character's dead body?

Well - does anybody else feel deeply bothered about logging back to on your 'clan server' after you are dead and gearing up at your big tent stash - then coming right back to join your friends again  ?

To me that is crazy and meaningless - but it is hard-locked into the game, right? That won't change.

At least in a real situation - if one of the squad was killed, other members would probably take stuff they needed (guns ammo, food?) from the body - so that's "slightly" realistic (except they know you'll be back in a couple of minutes).

At the moment half the SA players take one AK with them, and don't care if they lose it because they have 2 more and plenty ammo back at their tents.
So death is only a little pause in the action - it is the same (just a little slower) as being killed and respawned already geared up in any of the standard FPS team games.  

My only suggestion to slow this down a bit, for a better DayZ game - is right here below:

5 hours ago, Noctoras said:

I don't like the system either - but I lack a good proposal at the moment, since the body SHOULD be lootable for other people (which in turn should not be able to loot it for yourself). Bit of a quagmire.

I have argued to have a respawn system, so that when you respawn, if you die inside 5 minutes you just respawn back in that same spawn-place again, where you already spawned. This will make it not worthwhile to suicide to get anywhere - you'll have to run instead if you want to meet your friends.

OK it's not perfect (!)  but it makes things a little more realistic (I think)..  It would reduce the chances of getting back to a body in time to loot it, and it would force squads to play a more realistic game, and act  if they were really on a map deep inside a strange country, instead of just  "start over wherever you like" - "I'll be right back in 5 minutes".   Travel by suicide is just Teleport under another name. it sucks.

And maybe have a rule that you can't loot your own body - anyone else can - but you can't. If you try to loot your own corpse it buries itself.

3 hours ago, igor-vk said:

After death, player should turn into corpse that you cant move. And maybe scatered some of your gear around. What really bothers me is that animals and players just vanish after you gut them.

And I miss flies buzzing sound!

This is RIGHT

I know that BI made a kind of general decision not to copy over stuff from the Mod - but there were two great things in the Mod that really would make SA more fun

- Finding a body lying in the middle of the road, and not knowing how long it's been there, if it's been looted, is it a freshspawn victim?..is a killer around now?.. the corpse could have been there for hours or minutes.. That ADDED to the game-play a lot. Anyone who played the Mod remembers those incidents, right?  . that was one big PLUS no doubt about it.  Bodies stayed on the ground for a long time.

- The FLIES were brilliant - I don't understand why they were taken out - they are not a game asset and do not take up software space, it's just a sound effect.. but sneaking up to an isolated village on the lookout for danger, and hearing those flies somewhere behind a garden wall .. or hearing them in the bushes as you crossed an exposed road - or going upstairs in a building and hearing that sound of death and decay from a back room - that was EXCELLENT for the game.  Why are there no flies now? -  I guess only because the bodies despawn so fast?   No one can claim the flies were "not suitable for young players" if you take them out and add in cannibalism instead, Bring back flies.

OK - I know there is a BIG problem with the space available for the game on a server, and a problem with the processing that can be done in real-time - this is why we have so VERY few zombies, and why player bodies and dead game animals (and dead zombs too) vanish so fast.. But of course it WOULD be much better if those corpses lay around for a LONG time (if that CAN EVER be done). I think everyone wants that. - it adds VERY MUCH to the game-play, in shootouts, in street-battles, in country/village looting, in hunting - in every situation
- and it would also make it worthwhile to hide carcasses, cover your tracks, .. drag corpses out of sight into the bushes - or into a street deliberately where they can be seen - or bury them - or leave them lying there for the flies..    

xx

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 4

If you have enough skill to manage to run back to same location in time, and dodge all the people that killed you, I think you deserve to get rewarded with leftover ruined peices of your gear. 

Edited by Just Caused

Would it be possible for the loot to be unlootable by the person who had died? Like anyone else could pick it up and use it, but if you tried to pick the loot yourself, it wouldn't even go into your inventory? That way friends can loot your body and enjoy the stuff, but you can't?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zyriun said:

Would it be possible for the loot to be unlootable by the person who had died?

13 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

And maybe have a rule that you can't loot your own body - anyone else can - but you can't. If you try to loot your own corpse it buries itself.

3 hours ago, Zyriun said:

Would it be possible for the loot to be unlootable by the person who had died? Like anyone else could pick it up and use it, but if you tried to pick the loot yourself, it wouldn't even go into your inventory? That way friends can loot your body and enjoy the stuff, but you can't?

This has been discussed before and its not really feasible as anyobdy else can pick up the loot, making it theirs, then drop it to you. It punishes lone wolves but not anybody else. Even if you made a program that tracked ownership of gear so that you couldnt pick it up until it has passed ownership say, three times, it still wouldnt solve anything, just punish lone players. Maybe its better to leave it like it is and focus on the spawn/suicide problem. Every time I play i see a bunch of players suiciding or asking me to kill them. This is so annyoing and stupid. I understand that people want to spawn where their friends are or their kiler so they can get revenge, and maybe the best solution would be to let them.  After all, this is early acces alpha. The point is to see what the players think and how they play and make changes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Just Caused said:

If you have enough skill to manage to run back to same location in time, and dodge all the people that killed you, I think you deserve to get rewarded with leftover ruined peices of your gear. 

Would that "skill" involve your impressive ability to find the nearest ladder and leap to your death, as many times as it takes for you to spawn back near where you died; or until repeated failures make it clear that you have wasted your time?

• Like 4

Come to think of it, I thoroughly enjoy playing as a freshspawn. Whenever I die after spending 4-5 hours looting and having fun inland - I'm like "thank god!" I love the thrill of staying alive, but it also annoys the hell out of me.

When I'm a freshspawn, I hang around coasts and make friends. I know it's disapproved by some people, but it keeps my focus off of loot.

Whatever keeps out server hopping, ghosting, hiding, camping, am I right?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Well - does anybody else feel deeply bothered about logging back to on your 'clan server' after you are dead and gearing up at your big tent stash - then coming right back to join your friends again  ?

To me that is crazy and meaningless - but it is hard-locked into the game, right? That won't change.

Yes! Running back to the base to "re-up" with a fresh AK and hopping right back into the action is also something that makes the game feel weird to me. I don't mind visiting the same camp on different characters as long as I don't just use it to choose another loadout for my next PvP mission. However, if I am to believe what I heard Hicks say multiple times, nothing is "hard-locked" into the game at this point. Really hope this deal of people spawning to grab their own stuff, suicide-teleporting is something they keep in mind because it would be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I'm not the first to suggest this but what if the solution in this zombie survival game would be ... zombies? Make them attracted to dead bodies accomplishing several things (in theory) :

Make it harder for your friends to defend your corps especially when ammo is rare. 

It would be more punishing for lone wolf players but surviving on your own should be hard. They were looking for incentives for players to team up anyway.

Zombies being attracted to dead bodies would greatly accompany the buzzing flys sound, attracting other players as well along the way making it even more of a challenge to defend the gear on said corpse. And if zombies get attracted by the ensuing gun shots they may draw a visible zombie line across the region, raising even more attention to the scene thus creating little dynamic hot spots on the map for players to fight out. 

So in most cases the most viable option would be to quickly grab whats important and then get the hell out of there (or as a lone wolf decide if it's even worth the risk to rush back to your body), depending on the quality of the gear of the killed player, putting you on the spot to make tough decisions, another goal of the game.

So yeah, zombies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Killawife said:

This has been discussed before and its not really feasible as anyobdy else can pick up the loot, making it theirs, then drop it to you. It punishes lone wolves but not anybody else. Even if you made a program that tracked ownership of gear so that you couldnt pick it up until it has passed ownership say, three times, it still wouldnt solve anything, just punish lone players. Maybe its better to leave it like it is and focus on the spawn/suicide problem. Every time I play i see a bunch of players suiciding or asking me to kill them. This is so annyoing and stupid. I understand that people want to spawn where their friends are or their kiler so they can get revenge, and maybe the best solution would be to let them.  After all, this is early acces alpha. The point is to see what the players think and how they play and make changes.

I guess I agree with this - except to say that the whole game is heavily weighted in favor of groups against lone wolves, starting with TeamSpeak. I don't mean "fair" advantages (just because there are 3 or 4 of you) I mean every advantage you can get from misusing the gameplay in ways were never intended.
I guess this is human nature - if there was a "respawn key" that let you respawn back with your team right next to your dead body - how many players would not use that ?  We hear plenty of folk already complaining it takes "too long " to meet up with your clan when you spawn and when you are killed. They all use TeamSpeak, they would all use Teleport. For sure ( and try putting loadouts and "respawn tickets" to the vote to see what happens)

We know that in the DayZ scenario, TeamSpeak is a total joke - you are supposed to be a lone survivor, spawned without gear - not a HALO dude with a built in indestructible headset tuned to your battle command center -  but nothing will be done (nothing can be done) about that. To me TS is an exploit destroying everything the game is about, but all groups and clans use it and it gives them huge advantages. They don't have to arrange meet points, they don't have to have tactical plans, or fallback plans, or agreed signals, they don't even TALK ALOUD to each other when they are inside voice distance. etc & etc.. This is a complete exploit and it turns the game inside out. Teams are strong enough already to do without that, but they sure do use it non-stop. 

So why I suggested not looting your own body Killawife? - Really on principle - just to make it clear again that when you are dead YOU have lost everything -  that is important IMO. It's a basic principle, you follow?
And yes maybe someone else picks up that stuff up and might give it it back or you recapture it. And its pretty certain that if you play in a group they will hang around and keep it until you come back for it.
So "NOT LOOTING YOUR OWN BODY" is more of a "moral principle" about the game-play, than a fair thing  - it is just to remind players what the game is supposed to be about - if you die you loose all your stuff - Sure other people can get it (and maybe they are friends of yours) but you can't. That is YOUR own rotting body there, friend, you shouldn't restart by taking that gear.

And if you add that idea together with a 'life-timer' to stop suicide-teleport  (you are right there Killawife that really IS important IMO)  It would be going back towards the "real" DayZ - AND that would make group play more realistic AND put it on a fairer level with solo play. It is already much too easy compared to solo, or meeting up with strangers.

Off Topic :
That just leaves TeamSpeak - because we all know a group on TS almost always (completely always) use it as 100% an exploit advantage over other players - that group is having fun, but they are in a different game to the game you are playing. Add that to keeping gear for you dead friends, and teleporting back to the Battlefield Action.. and the result is DayZ solo play and survivor play really suffers a lot. That's why solo is a "minority" interest on these forums and why so many players knock and insult farming, crafting, survival, disease, hunting, stealth, injury,  - and want only faster "gear up" and more helicopter loot and more ammo, etc..( and that's also why there are so many public hive kick servers and farm servers for safe gearing up and stockpiling - because players CAN.)

Hey - if you want to play group - all you have to do is arrange a meet point before you log in - then without TS you GET to the location.. you hunker up, make a plan and a RDV point for emergencies (takes 2 mins) and then you move out and stay in voice distance, keep eyes on, use in-game voice, and use hand signals. That IS playable. It is fun, and realistic, it just takes a little bit of "military style" planning - really not a lot - And isn't that's why you are wearing all that hot mil gear, right? because you are a crack unit?  So act like one.

If you want to joke and talk about your work or your new girlfriend, go into a foyer somewhere outside the game and hang out.  Then get in game and play seriously and play like real experienced guys with some brains. You can still talk over voice distance, and joke, and cooperate just not right across the whole map and not from one server to the next (and keep your heads down a little while you are talking aloud, like if you were really in a combat risk area). You will enjoy DayZ the Game better. Make it less like Battlefield Rush and CoD, ya know?

xx

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

Hell yeah... I know.

I read posts like the previous one and I feel a massive sense of disappointment that one of the BEST aspects of this game has already been "ruined" by TeamSpeak....

This is something I completely missed when I was considering buying into the Alpha and now it is apparent that this SINGLE aspect of DayZ might very well be the reason I lose interest in playing (experiencing) it.

I have ventured over to high POP servers looking for a challenge and like Pilgrim mentioned, seeing a group of five players moving around a town without a single audible word between them makes me realize just how hopeless any attempt at interaction would be.

I KNOW this can't be "fixed" and I am now finally coming to realize just how much my experience suffers from it.

Next up? I look for a small group of players that feel as strongly about this as I do and use only in-game chat.... I think that would at least add enough additional challenge and adventure to the experience that I could find balance against the immersion-killers.

My days as a Lone Wolf peacekeeper are probably over...but maybe...just maybe...I will find a whole new zeal for DayZ that I originally thought was not my chosen can of Beans.

Role-Play would be the term...I guess....but without the constraints of, well, "Role Playing"...

Very good point with the zombies eating up the body and ruining gear in the process. once zeds are back in numbers it might indeed be a viable solution to at least mitigate the issue

• Like 1

The knowledge that you can comfortably assume anyone you've just killed is, in fact, running straight back for his body, and hoping to kill you when he gets there, is a bit of an immersion killer. The game needs something to change this, though what exactly that is I don't know.

• Like 4

There is a few servers that don't allow teamspeak on them . Seems impossible to police though, even with whitelisting. I agree that it is a problem but when I played with my friends years ago we also used teamspeak, not for any tactical advantage since we didnt even PVP, but mostly because they didnt know shit and I had to tell them everything from how to craft stuff to where they were and where they were supposed to be going.

21 hours ago, Killawife said:

Im saying that if say items have an ID #, that that specific item itself won't be able to be carried by that same player like ever again. So if you die with a compass, that specific compass (Not every compass ingame) would never be able to be used by you again. Also, how would this punish lone players?

23 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Would that "skill" involve your impressive ability to find the nearest ladder and leap to your death, as many times as it takes for you to spawn back near where you died; or until repeated failures make it clear that you have wasted your time?

If you had basic brain capabilities you would understand what I really meant. That skill is to find where did you die. When I was new to DayZ it was really hard for me to find my way back to one town, or just skill finding body in middle of nowhere forest.

Me thibkz IR have basuk brane carp? Ye, mah haz brsic bane crap.

• Like 1

Well, making it so that you can NEVER pick up the item will cause a whole lot of problems and its not a very good solution, in the end you will end up with an awful lot of items that you cant pick up. It would also quickly become enourmous amounts of data that needs to be managed by the server. I don't think we ned more of that. But doing it so you cant pick up things directly from your corpse punishes lone players because they dont have friends that can just pick the stuff up and then drop it right beside the body.

• Like 1

The simplest solution is an extended death timer. Which I hope is adjusted at the proper time in development and/or given additionally to server owners to specify.