Sign in to follow this  
WolverineZ

End goal of the game? "PvP fiesta" or "gritty survival game"?

Hello forum. Long time lurker, but never posted anything up until now. I have some concerns, and for once, just once, I'd like to get Hicks or someone from the Development team to at least respond to some concerns I've had since purchasing this game back in Dec. 2013.

Lately all I see is a PvP-fest happening in Berezino or Elektro. Armed thugs with uber military-grade weapons & gear (I thought M4s were not in .59?), etc. You see tons of YouTube videos of someone or some group just having a massive shoot-out at one of the notable places in Chernarus.

Brian, if you read this, since you're the Director, what is the "end-goal" of DayZ SA? Will it be a truly gritty & unforgiving survival game, or is it just going to be a PvP game that everyone seems to want it to be? Like, you saw what happened to the DayZ Mod, right? Epoch ring a bell? Vanilla servers were down to two that I frequent (434 and Europa). 

To those of you who are about to rain down the hate on me, just remember I completely understand that having shoot-outs is part of the game. I'm not against it because PvP is part of the game, but common sense would tell you based on video evidence on YouTube that a lot of these YouTubers only care about is the PvP aspect, and I'm getting a bit uncomfortable of where the direction is going with the PvP aspect. I get that there's nothing much to do, as the PvE aspect is yet to rear its head. So, does this mean that the Developers will do something similar to what H1Z1 did? And that is split the game into two types? One a gritty survival simulator game, and the other just a PvP slugfest in Elektro?

Don't ridicule me please without being honest with yourselves. Which does this community want the game to be? And what do the Developers want this game to be? If the Developers never release the server files and just make this into a gritty survival game then will that drive you away from the game? Then why in the heck are you playing it in the first place? There's ArmA II & ArmA III for crying out loud, and tons of mods for either of them.

Why do people want the game to turn into a PvP fiesta? Are you all saying that the "vision" of where Brian is taking the SA is in the wrong direction? The video evidence is more than enough. Gear-up, find some unsuspecting dupes, and shoot 'em all up. Okay, that's fine cause that's the way you/they want to play it. But then why not shrink the entire map down to one city, and just give everyone weapons?

Let's hear what the Developers have to say about this. One way or another, we're all waiting to see where the SA finally takes us on this long & hard road to completion. Just what it turns out to be is what I'm concerned about. Thank you, and keep the comments civil. Don't be like the DayZ reddit people who downvote and crap on everyone who doesn't share the mob mentality.

Edit: Personally for me, I want a world similar to the Walking Dead, where every other player could be an ally or a villain. But by keeping cool and using your brains vs. just going with your inner PvP-lust to have a shoot-out is not the ideal situation in a survival horror mmo. I'd like to use common sense when encountering potential bad guys; if we have a shoot out then we risk the Infected storming in, or other players heading to our direction? What's the advantage of having ruined gear and bleeding out, where we could've just reasoned with each other? Look, it's a game in the end, and maybe no one has a lot of time to grind and gear-up. I know I sure as hell don't (family, work, bills, etc.). But I love this game very much, and it's all I play (even though there's nothing for me to do other than watch over my camp).

Edited by WolverineZ
my own thoughts of the end game
  • Like 9

Personally I hope it becomes a true PVE game in the end.

But most likely the game will become EVERYTHING because of modding. So when the game is finished you probably simply play the game on a server and with the mods/settings that you like. Some servers will be PVE, some PVP, some with very scarce food, some with very scarce weapons and ammo and some will probably have an abundance of everything. The game will most likely become a platform that the community can tweak to its liking, more or less like the original mod I guess. As a player you chose which style and player base suits your taste best.  At least, that is what I think will happen.

Edited by nl
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, nl said:

But most likely the game will become EVERYTHING because of modding. So when the game is finished you probably simply play the game on a server and with the mods/settings that you like. Some servers will be PVE, some PVP, some with very scarce food, some with very scarce weapons and ammo and some will probably have an abundance of everything. The game will most likely become a platform that the community can tweak to its liking, more or less like the original mod I guess. As a player you chose which style and player base suits your taste best.  At least, that is what I think will happen.

Thank you for your post. It's refreshing to read someone's post without the toxicity that the reddit page has.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

Is it too much to ask for both?

Thanks for your post. It's fine, let server owners do whatever they want, as it's up to the players on how they want to play, but I'd really like to hear exactly what Hicks has to say with how the direction of player interaction is going these last few months. I just want this out front in center right now, as I think right now 1) the majority of the player base just wants PvP, and 2) what is the exact vision of the end goal SA in Hick's mind since he just got promoted to becoming the Director.

pvp is what's on streams because streamers want lots of viewers and the survival aspect just wouldn't get viewers.  not until they put all the zombies back in etc.

from what I understand (and hope), the end product will be a world where bullets are too precious to waste shooting bambis for jollies.  and nobody will have time for that crap anyway because survival will be a full time job.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

pvp is what's on streams because streamers want lots of viewers and the survival aspect just wouldn't get viewers.  not until they put all the zombies back in etc.

from what I understand (and hope), the end product will be a world where bullets are too precious to waste shooting bambis for jollies.  and nobody will have time for that crap anyway because survival will be a full time job.

Thanks for your help & insight. I see, I didn't realize why streamers were just doing the PvP thing (i.e. they needed viewership, so hence they do the PvP battles to get fans). Okay, I'm not heavily into Twitch, as I'm more into YouTube. Yeah, I hope the heavily geared "thugs" hugging "Camper's Rock" near Kamiwovo learn that shooting at the bambis is just wasting precious ammo.

1 hour ago, WolverineZ said:

Are you all saying that the "vision" of where Brian is taking the SA is in the wrong direction? The video evidence is more than enough. Gear-up, find some unsuspecting dupes, and shoot 'em all up. Okay, that's fine cause that's the way you/they want to play it. But then why not shrink the entire map down to one city, and just give everyone weapons?

You DO hit a nerve there. If it's going to be a PvP simulator, the map is too huge and the gearing process is borderline pointless. I also see what you see that currently the direction we are heading is worrying and if nothing changes the game will end up as no good shooter, let alone a good survival game.

Personally, I hope that Red_Ensign is right, but quite frankly, I doubt it. A lot of development has focused on marginal PvP byproducts, such as weapon sounds, weapon sway, more weapons and even further more weapons and vehicles to possibly shoot them from in the future.

Melee is broken and unnecessary anyway, if you are geared with shooting weapons in 15 minutes. Medical and disease system has remained VERY basic and diseases are no thread. Skill system is redundant, if all it does is make you load guns 30% faster.

The thing I do realistically hope for are more zombies in numbers and more dangerous zombies. I am positive for that to come into the game, just as I am positive about predator animals. These should provide for at least some survival feeling, but I agree, the focus has focused too much into the PvP field

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WolverineZ said:

Hello forum. Long time lurker, but never posted anything up until now. I have some concerns, and for once, just once, I'd like to get Hicks or someone from the Development team to at least respond to some concerns I've had since purchasing this game back in Dec. 2013.

Lately all I see is a PvP-fest happening in Berezino or Elektro. Armed thugs with uber military-grade weapons & gear (I thought M4s were not in .59?), etc. You see tons of YouTube videos of someone or some group just having a massive shoot-out at one of the notable places in Chernarus.

Brian, if you read this, since you're the Director, what is the "end-goal" of DayZ SA? Will it be a truly gritty & unforgiving survival game, or is it just going to be a PvP game that everyone seems to want it to be? Like, you saw what happened to the DayZ Mod, right? Epoch ring a bell? Vanilla servers were down to two that I frequent (434 and Europa). 

To those of you who are about to rain down the hate on me, just remember I completely understand that having shoot-outs is part of the game. I'm not against it because PvP is part of the game, but common sense would tell you based on video evidence on YouTube that a lot of these YouTubers only care about is the PvP aspect, and I'm getting a bit uncomfortable of where the direction is going with the PvP aspect. I get that there's nothing much to do, as the PvE aspect is yet to rear its head. So, does this mean that the Developers will do something similar to what H1Z1 did? And that is split the game into two types? One a gritty survival simulator game, and the other just a PvP slugfest in Elektro?

Don't ridicule me please without being honest with yourselves. Which does this community want the game to be? And what do the Developers want this game to be? If the Developers never release the server files and just make this into a gritty survival game then will that drive you away from the game? Then why in the heck are you playing it in the first place? There's ArmA II & ArmA III for crying out loud, and tons of mods for either of them.

Why do people want the game to turn into a PvP fiesta? Are you all saying that the "vision" of where Brian is taking the SA is in the wrong direction? The video evidence is more than enough. Gear-up, find some unsuspecting dupes, and shoot 'em all up. Okay, that's fine cause that's the way you/they want to play it. But then why not shrink the entire map down to one city, and just give everyone weapons?

Let's hear what the Developers have to say about this. One way or another, we're all waiting to see where the SA finally takes us on this long & hard road to completion. Just what it turns out to be is what I'm concerned about. Thank you, and keep the comments civil. Don't be like the DayZ reddit people who downvote and crap on everyone who doesn't share the mob mentality.

Edit: Personally for me, I want a world similar to the Walking Dead, where every other player could be an ally or a villain. But by keeping cool and using your brains vs. just going with your inner PvP-lust to have a shoot-out is not the ideal situation in a survival horror mmo. I'd like to use common sense when encountering potential bad guys; if we have a shoot out then we risk the Infected storming in, or other players heading to our direction? What's the advantage of having ruined gear and bleeding out, where we could've just reasoned with each other? Look, it's a game in the end, and maybe no one has a lot of time to grind and gear-up. I know I sure as hell don't (family, work, bills, etc.). But I love this game very much, and it's all I play (even though there's nothing for me to do other than watch over my camp).

I know you're specifically addressing Brian here, but I'll throw in my two cents just the same (had a somewhat similar question just a while ago). I'd definitely say that focus is still on developing a gritty & unforgiving survival game. Currently, this is not necessarily what we're seeing across the servers, but I do think it has got a lot to do with work on the PvE aspects (and the systems that support these) is still incoming. All things considered, development of DayZ is not looking like it'll take a turn towards becoming a full-on PvP title any time soon.

Will DayZ be split up into two types, as you mention? Not as such. A single player mode has been announced a while ago, so I suppose that would de facto be a PvE only DayZ experience, but there has been no mention of splitting up the multiplayer part of DayZ into two different modes (which I think is what you meant).

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

You DO hit a nerve there. If it's going to be a PvP simulator, the map is too huge and the gearing process is borderline pointless. I also see what you see that currently the direction we are heading is worrying and if nothing changes the game will end up as no good shooter, let alone a good survival game.

Personally, I hope that Red_Ensign is right, but quite frankly, I doubt it. A lot of development has focused on marginal PvP byproducts, such as weapon sounds, weapon sway, more weapons and even further more weapons and vehicles to possibly shoot them from in the future.

Melee is broken and unnecessary anyway, if you are geared with shooting weapons in 15 minutes. Medical and disease system has remained VERY basic and diseases are no thread. Skill system is redundant, if all it does is make you load guns 30% faster.

The thing I do realistically hope for are more zombies in numbers and more dangerous zombies. I am positive for that to come into the game, just as I am positive about predator animals. These should provide for at least some survival feeling, but I agree, the focus has focused too much into the PvP field

Thanks Noctoras for your input. Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with how some (?) of the player-base wants the game to go in one direction, while the Devs want to take us to a gritty harsh survival MMO. Like, I get what players are saying. Gearing-up to get the bare essentials, then running to Elektro or Cherno seems weird to me. Like, I could see someone mod the game where you have one city, start all players with Makarovs and a shotgun, and let everyone have a shoot-out. However, I fear then you'll get what happened to the Mod (434 & Europa are the only two vanilla servers that are frequented enough), while everyone else is playing a military-themed mod, or a mod of a mod.

And I don't want people to hate me for saying how I want to play the game, but if the Devs have a vision then I want to play their vision. If after a while I want to try something else then I might try a mod or two of the SA, but let's see where Brian and the teams takes us. I don't want this game that I love to have split communities, and then hardly anyone plays a vanilla version of the SA, while everyone else is playing a COD modded version of the SA.

Thank you for your thoughts. I didn't mean my post to ruffle any feathers, but I have my concerns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nl said:

The danger of that is you might end up with a completely fragmented player base where there are so many different servers that none of them ever have more than a handful of players (but they'll have 1000 cars and 40 helicopters).  Really, I feel that the game is already diluted by hoards of strident "fans" clamoring for what they want the game to be and BI kowtowing to them in the interest of selling more copies.

What made the original mod interesting was that Rocket took a relatively unique idea and created a game that nobody knew they wanted until they started playing - A hardcore zombie survival game.  Survival rates were something like 15 minutes and that's before you ever encountered another player.  Having lots of guns and ammo was fine because there were almost always more zombies than bullets (not the case with the SA).  PvP was a big part of it, but often because people needed to kill other players for food and supplies (or just because!).  Even if you all you wanted to do was PvP, you still have to take care of your survival needs.

The point is, Rocket didn't initially set out to make a game to sell a million copies.  He set out to make an interesting game.  If you didn't want to play that game, then perhaps DayZ wasn't the game for you.  I kind of feel like BI is trying to be all things to all players and is effectively creating a mediocre game designed by committee. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SMoss said:

I know you're specifically addressing Brian here, but I'll throw in my two cents just the same (had a somewhat similar question just a while ago). I'd definitely say that focus is still on developing a gritty & unforgiving survival game. Currently, this is not necessarily what we're seeing across the servers, but I do think it has got a lot to do with work on the PvE aspects (and the systems that support these) is still incoming. All things considered, development of DayZ is not looking like it'll take a turn towards becoming a full-on PvP title any time soon.

Will DayZ be split up into two types, as you mention? Not as such. A single player mode has been announced a while ago, so I suppose that would de facto be a PvE only DayZ experience, but there has been no mention of splitting up the multiplayer part of DayZ into two different modes (which I think is what you meant).

Thanks SMoss for your post. I've been reading the current goings-on have been on the DayZ subreddit, and although I understand some players want just PvP, I don't feel that was the vision you and the rest of the Team had envisioned us to play.

I get how other players are threat, so I'm not saying "PvE" is the only thing to the game, and I don't want to see our wonderful community split-up, like how H1Z1 did with their King of the Hill and Just Survive modes. PvP is part of the game, but this game is so much more than just a COD or CSGO clone.

I am really happy that you guys are giving us something that's so unique and incredible. I don't play any of my other games, as I enjoy this survival horror simulator a lot! Whenever I encounter anyone my heart rate goes up, I tense up, and then I have to figure out if this guy is a good guy or bad guy. Do I fire a shot, but risk the Infected running over my position, or to I call out to the other player in hopes he/she might consider a truce, so that we both can loot a town safely (even though in the back of my mind I'm worried he's going to kill me).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bfisher said:

The danger of that is you might end up with a completely fragmented player base where there are so many different servers that none of them ever have more than a handful of players (but they'll have 1000 cars and 40 helicopters).  Really, I feel that the game is already diluted by hoards of strident "fans" clamoring for what they want the game to be and BI kowtowing to them in the interest of selling more copies.

What made the original mod interesting was that Rocket took a relatively unique idea and created a game that nobody knew they wanted until they started playing - A hardcore zombie survival game.  Survival rates were something like 15 minutes and that's before you ever encountered another player.  Having lots of guns and ammo was fine because there were almost always more zombies than bullets (not the case with the SA).  PvP was a big part of it, but often because people needed to kill other players for food and supplies (or just because!).  Even if you all you wanted to do was PvP, you still have to take care of your survival needs.

The point is, Rocket didn't initially set out to make a game to sell a million copies.  He set out to make an interesting game.  If you didn't want to play that game, then perhaps DayZ wasn't the game for you.  I kind of feel like BI is trying to be all things to all players and is effectively creating a mediocre game designed by committee. 

I agree, that could happen but I doubt it can be completely avoided since it was always clear that supporting modding was the intention of the devs. Let's just hope the game will be successful enough so the player base is large enough to populate all variations.

• Like 2

If we take DayZ mod as an example, once mod support is released the majority of the mods will be geared towards PvP. Since there is a fairly large RP community you can also bet that some mods will be released to enable easier control of the KoS and enforcement of RP rules in general.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WolverineZ said:

Thanks SMoss for your post. I've been reading the current goings-on have been on the DayZ subreddit, and although I understand some players want just PvP, I don't feel that was the vision you and the rest of the Team had envisioned us to play.

I get how other players are threat, so I'm not saying "PvE" is the only thing to the game, and I don't want to see our wonderful community split-up, like how H1Z1 did with their King of the Hill and Just Survive modes. PvP is part of the game, but this game is so much more than just a COD or CSGO clone.

I am really happy that you guys are giving us something that's so unique and incredible. I don't play any of my other games, as I enjoy this survival horror simulator a lot! Whenever I encounter anyone my heart rate goes up, I tense up, and then I have to figure out if this guy is a good guy or bad guy. Do I fire a shot, but risk the Infected running over my position, or to I call out to the other player in hopes he/she might consider a truce, so that we both can loot a town safely (even though in the back of my mind I'm worried he's going to kill me).

It should be up to each individual player how they would want to go about interacting with the environment or other players, and last I heard, Brian still wants us to eventually value each and every resource we find. What I think this means is that if you choose to play PvP style, you can do so, but you'll have to take your resources into account way more than what is the case now. Does this mean that PvE is favored more than PvP? Not necessarily so. The player wielding a functional gun and a bit of ammo might have to consider resources just as much before deciding to take shots during hunting or when defending while being hunted by predators for example.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, bfisher said:

Yes, exactly my thoughts. I worry about the fragmentation of the community where there'll be mods of mods (look what happened to the original DayZ Mod). And then you might get a situation where if a group gets vocal enough then the Dev Team might have to bow to "their" expectations, while not taking into consideration what's good for the entire community. I expect other players as a threat, as they might shoot me for my own supplies, but I love the aspect where another player really has to think things through by determining do they waste that precious bullet on me, or do they try to negotiate with me for a possible trade, or to make a truce when looting a town? I love this game, and I definitely don't want to see the community fragmented into different camps. Hopefully we'll get a better picture of things to come once .60 hits Stable. :)

• Like 1

End goal of the game? "PvP fiesta" or "gritty survival game"?

I think all the early access players need to try to realize that you are not, have not, and will not, be playing DayZ for months to come.

This whole time we've been given barely functioning placeholder pieces of limping antiquated game parts that in no way play like Vanilla DayZ 1.0.

The massive amount of futility in the conversations the PvP crowds have is hilarious when looked at objectively.

1 hour ago, SMoss said:

-snip- Currently, this is not necessarily what we're seeing across the servers, but I do think it has got a lot to do with work on the PvE aspects (and the systems that support these) is still incoming. .-snip-

^This, so much this. Most players here go about having discussions like the way DayZ plays now is how it will play forever.

Now consider those CoD lovers, Johnny come stream lately's, and total jag offs, as a vocal majority and you find yourself looking at a misinformed belligerent player base that blindly keeps playing the loot a little or maybe just KoS someone to PvP more game.

Dynamic infected spawn due to hit in .60 coupled with scarcity alone would throw most of them off their game.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Dynamic infected spawn due to hit in .60 coupled with scarcity alone would throw most of you off your game.

I would love it where food is scarce, ammo is in low supply, and people have to consider the risks of PvP. I would love it where the Infected are truly a threat, and that could throw a monkey wrench to the CSGO or COD lovers out there. I know they love to fight/shoot, as I play some Battlefield 3 & 4, so I get the whole PvP aspect, but I also want to play this game the way it was envisioned by the team. I know SMoss said we can play it to the way we want, but I'd love it where loot is scarce, and perhaps it would change things up a bit. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WolverineZ said:

Thanks for your post. It's fine, let server owners do whatever they want, as it's up to the players on how they want to play, but I'd really like to hear exactly what Hicks has to say with how the direction of player interaction is going these last few months. I just want this out front in center right now, as I think right now 1) the majority of the player base just wants PvP, and 2) what is the exact vision of the end goal SA in Hick's mind since he just got promoted to becoming the Director.

1. You and others pointed out the key factor, and the answer to the post, players make their own choices.. that is what makes dayz special. No one is there to tell you how to play it. 

2. The majority of the player base wants dayz. If they wanted pvp, they would play other games.. trust me. PvP in dayz is not exactly smooth. Other games offer that. PvP happens because players run out of things to do. More things to do will be added later. But eventually everyone at some point will get bored and want to explore other options. So, pvp will always be in dayz, regardless of what they do. 

3. Hicks promotion does not change the vision of the game. That vision has been set in stone for quite some time now. 

4. Servers exist, and will probably always exist where pvp is either a non-option or frowned upon. Play there if you do not like pvp. If you do like pvp, go find full public servers and pew-pew-pew away to your hearts content. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WolverineZ said:

I-snip-and perhaps it would change things up a bit. :)

You seem to have the right idea about Vanilla DayZ.

Factors like scarcity will all be balanced during Beta, which is close at hand.

• Like 1

The game will always be survival first, how you make it happen is up to you. One thing you cant change is the "Social" aspects unless you can filter something in a RP server.

If you want the walking dead survival, then you must also realize its 99% pvp based, and 1 % planting food. 99% also including Infected. Human vs Human is also very high making it almost over 80% pvp based tv show.

Honestly? KOS, PVP you want to be scared, if someone takes a shot at you they must also realize they can also be shot at from behind. It wont be as easy as it is now. Given that infected are hoarded together and hear the distanced shots it will give your locations away. I doubt you will see too many holding up in the coast to pvp with axes like before.

You still also have survival being #1 of this game. I doubt you will see too many servers just planting crops.. It has to be much more then this, and searching town to town for the basics. Otherwise fire up arma 3 and script it because it now is a rinse and repeat sandbox already done.

Knowing that someone may have their rifle pointed on you to take your stuff, means a ton to the game. RL fear factor, scares anyone. I hope it stays this way.

Edited by sneakydude
spelling like always
  • Like 2

You know what I like about DayZ, it's different. I tried H1Z1 for a few hours but I didn't like it. The game is either PvE or PvP which sucks. It takes away the whole idea of survival. Yes, I said survival. Not getting shot makes also a bit a survival game, right?

There will always be PvP, if you like it or not and specially in the big towns, even with scarce loot. And believe me, I'm not one of the PvPers, I avoid those big cities unless I need to go through one of them to get somewhere but then I'll be quick and careful. Whenever I see a player I immediately hit the ground and 9 out of the 10 times I see them first. From there on I go over my options but it's a slim chance I kill a player who doesn't know my presence. Why? Because I know if things go south, I'll start again in the south.

But that makes the game so great, sometimes I'm hostile, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes other players are hostile against me, sometimes not. Like yesterday, I was forced to kill someone. I was in my Steam overlay checking the map and someone ran in the house. He asked if I was friendly and that he was friendly. As there was a bit of silence and he was standing in the doorway I wanted to ask him to get out of the way so I just can pass through. As I wanted to do that he came at me and tried to punch me so my best bet was to get out of the house. I had a loaded Magnum in my backpack and a Winchester Model 70 with 2 bullets in my hands but had a Crossbow on my back so switching wasn't easy. He decided to run after me which was a bad decision, I turned and shot and he fell like a sack of sand. If he didn't try to pull a Mike Tyson on me he would still be alive but he made his choice and so did I.

Interaction and PvP makes this a great game, specially if there is more of the PvE aspect. I don't want to be forced to choose either one, I want to play an hybrid game which has both and you need to go over your options every freaking time.

Now I do agree that it is way too easy to get geared at the moment. If I'm looking for an Hunting Pants or what ever, before I found it I already came across several guns and ammo. I hope that 0.60 will be a glorious patch and that loot will become more scarce because now it's ridiculous.

I am/was thinking about getting a server which doesn't have a gun or food on every corner. Where you will get the real DayZ feeling as it is intended where you need to make choices everytime like I'm doing already. I'm sure in the end there will be a community server where people like us can play our game. Where not every moment of interaction will end up in a gunfight but that every moment of interaction is different everytime.

• Like 4

• Like 4

Im so sad when I look at what this game looks like. It looks more like Second life. People talk in the middle of the street for half hour without fear. No one cares if he dies, they just go to low pop server and gear up in half hour. Food, clothes, weapons everywhere. Always sunny in Chernarus... Im very close to giving up on this game, the game I folow dailly since january 2014. Did I mentioned there are almost no zombies/infected? All the things that are supose to give PvE elements to game are either useles or not working. 

This could be only real survival multiplayer game on market, but I think devs took another road. I think they are pleasing all popular streamers and youtubers.  

• Like 1

As everybody has been saying, it is really up to the individual player/groups to determine how they want to handle the situations they are put in. As the game progresses, Infected and wildlife will become more and more prevelant and will factor into what you do. Just look at the teaser video for wildlife that was released a few status reports ago. By simply taking a shot at a deer, the player was mauled by a pack of wolves. The same will go for the infected in larger cities. The Devs plan on introducing more and more Environmental threats into the game, and as they do the playstyles in the game will change over time.

As far as the game in its current state, yes... it is primarily PvP. Cherno/Electro are known to be the worst areas for this so most people who aren't LOOKING for a confrontation know to avoid or spend as little time as possible in and around those areas. But even still, as you move more inland the weapons get more powerful so the threat increases. Most times, if two seperate parties cross paths it wont end with a friendly encounter.

Take my video on this thread for example:

Sure, I posted the title as a "3-man Squad Wipe" but as they were approaching it wasn't my intention to kill them outright. Originally I had pulled my guys out and were going to allow the approaching group to enter the base. I was hoping they would enter a building and we could come up behind and pin them inside. Unfortunately, they spotted our guest that met up with our group and I had to make the quick decision on whether to turn and run or to engage them. If I had turned and ran, there is no telling if they would have let us go, shot us in the back, or followed us until we were vulnerable. In order to ensure my group remained safe, we had to remove the threat. And that is exactly what we did, but even still we attempted to restrain and heal the last remaining unconscious player. Unfortunately he chose to respawn while unconscious rather than allowing us to let him live.

^THAT, my friend, is what DayZ is all about to me. The choices you have to make when your back is up against the wall.

• Like 1