Zurvivalist

Hunters Map Released

So I'm finally releasing version 1.0 of my public map. Marking all known Animal spawn locations and Paths. 

Please note: This simple image file is the ongoing result of countless hours spent walking every inch of the map Visually confirming / locating any and all animal spawn locations.  

This is only the first release of this project, I have much much more to come. 

http://extrazoom.com/image-54280.html

xFFKzlF.jpg

Key to reading this map: 

Red circles indicate the animal AI spawn locations and general idle feeding area. 

Idle Feeding simply means the area in which they will roam around in passively when not scared or running away. 

Yellow indicates large paths the large animals such as Elk, Whitetail Deer, and Cattle have been confirmed to walk while Idle . 

The smaller the circle the more exact I have narrowed down their idle area locations. 

Understanding Animal Ai. 

From what I have gathered .. There seems to be 3 general spawn types in regards to animals.

Domesticated Animals- Pig,Dark Chickens,Sheep, goats,Cows. Tend to have their very own set spawn locations , and will stay within smaller areas. (with the exception of cattle) They also seem to have a much smaller detection radius . Allowing the hunter to get closer in order to use shorter ranged weapons. 

Wild Game-WhiteTail Deer,Elk,White Chicken,Foxes,rabbits. Tend to have a much larger area they will roam. Likely very large set paths they will follow. Their detection radius is much larger, making them much easier to spook and scare off before getting a chance to see or take shots at them . (except for the chicken and fox currently)

Wild Boar. Wild boar are separate from the domesticated pig and other groups. As it seems to have its own spawn locations, which will often overlap others (Almost like a dynamic event spawn), When scared ( shot at and missed for example) and not chased, It will return to its location within a few minutes . If chased , it has a rather small area it will run around in , Making it one of the easier animals to melee . Also currently the only animal that allows the crafting of a unique item ( Improvised Leather Backpack) 

WhiteTail Deer- Hands down the hardest animal to hunt currently. They tend to hang around wider open areas . Are the fastest runners, Will sprint directly into tree lines or up hills. Have the largest detection radius of any other animal. Typically requiring a scoped rifle to reliably get with in range of shooting them. 

Knowing your Prey.
Logic implies and confirmed, The larger the animal , the higher cal weapon you will need to successfully 1shot kill them. While a 22 will work on a chicken. You will need a .308 for cattle and elk. 

Foxes seem to be bugged at the moment , and have the slowest running speed of any other animal I have hunted so far. 

You literally can just jog up next to them and axe them easily. 

Chickens , Foxes and Rabbits are DAMN NEAR impossible to find or see in first person view , due to the high grass.. If you play on 1pp servers.. learn to scout hill tops... and good luck....considering grass rendering distance... 

**Spawn Locations and Habitats: Certain animals seem to favor certain areas more than others. 
Learning these areas , will help you in tracking down what you need. For example . From my observations .Domesticated animals tend to spawn most often in and around towns. Small towns specifically . WHile the large herding animals such as Deer , Elk ,Cattle tend to either hang around bodies of water in their set walking Paths .  While others such as Wild Boar and foxes like open fields more. 
This info is not set in stone however . WHile it is rather common to see a herd of deer for example gathered around a pond , laying in the grass and being idle. IF watched long enough , I have learned that they will eventually get up and go for very long walks , Sometimes stopping and feeding in open fields , sometimes just moving to the next body of water before stopping again . Typically taking their sweet ass time about it too... While at other times they seem to be more destination driven , and move continuously at a faster pace. 

Stealth:

Animal Ai seem to follow a Logic based stealth system which reacts to a combination of Player stance , sound output level, and Ai line of sight. 

The easiest way to explain this in game terms. Is to suggest if trying to sneak up on an idle animal to get with in range. You literally have to sneak up on them as you would real animals. Just kneeling or going prone won't work if you're on a hillside facing them and well within their direct line of sight . 
Use cover and hill crests . 

Imagine an invisible ring around each animal which is their detection radius . Your stance and noise level can reduce this radius to a point. Clothing and camo seems to have no effect on this yet . But you can cut closer by using small hills and cresting over them to take your shots. 

Trial and error will teach you each animal's acceptable range. 

*This info does not include or consider when animals bug out, freeze, or get stuck on objects. 

Hope this helps some of you get more involved in the PvE aspects of game play. Please enjoy , thanks for reading, and feel free to leave some feedback. 
 Check out my Youtube channel for a few hunting videos, tips and guides 
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jonathan32177
Or check out my Steam Screenshots for all the weird sightings .
 http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zurvivalist

Edited by Zurvivalist
  • Like 18

Wow man, thanks for that large contribution.

• Like 1

The red circles are pretty accurate, but I'd suggest looking around those areas. I've been hunting outside the radius of some of these circles (to most locations I've never been).For example, I found deer several times at: 032/016, north of Novaya Petrovka. Your circle is slightly to the east of that and most likely they spawn there too. I find there is almost always water near group animal spawns, so if you see a river near those red circles, it's well worth pacing up and down a bit to check for prey. 

When animals run away, I can usually find them again in the direction they originally set off to. They don't seem to run very far and especially the deer tend to get stuck somewhere. I find it strange that I seem to have to lead shots on animals pretty far. When they are running, I always hold aim a good deal in front of them. You can see the bullet travel, it is so slow...

Adding small info to your stealth section:

When animals eat or lay down they are less observant to your movement. If you see an animals head go up and listen, you should not move and stay as low as possible. Once they return to feeding or walk somewhere you can continue moving. This is particularly challenging with groups of 4 animals, because their heads go up and down at different times.  

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the positive feedback ., I have been working on this project since about November . And  will continue to work on it until I have a complete interactive map. 

If anyone Happens to know how I might go about accessing the game files to get more exact data on animal and zombie ai spawn locations.. Please feel free to share it with me lol 

• Like 1

Nice work on the map.  Do you need help with adding more of the yellow lines? I can hold off and watch the next time I sight a herd of deer or cattle. I normally just hunt opportunistically while on other missions.  Maybe I will give this map a fair try sometime to see how it pans out.  Did you intentionally leave out the best hunting areas?  A few of the places that I can fairly consistently find animals are not marked on this map.

I remember one not listed as well, near Kabanino. 055 070

Had reports of boars there. Didn't see one myself tho.

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Do you need help with adding more of the yellow lines?

So far its been basically a one man operation , I've taken reports of locations from others, ( had a post going for a while ) Then I would go and confirm each one. It would be great if I could get others to help more. 

Did you intentionally leave out the best hunting areas?  A few of the places that I can fairly consistently find animals are not marked on this map.

Hell no , never. If its not on the map , I just did not know about them. But can be added in the next update. 

You know what would really be helpful. Is if they would turn on in game map markers to show your location by default ..... Shot two hogs today , and have no clue where I was ...So I cant mark their locations ... 

11 hours ago, j0nathan said:

You know what would really be helpful. Is if they would turn on in game map markers to show your location by default ..... Shot two hogs today , and have no clue where I was ...So I cant mark their locations ... 

Add me on steam if you want to go hunting sometime.  It is a rare occasion anymore, that I don't know exactly where I am.  I use both DayZDB, and Izurvive maps in tandem on a second monitor, as well as on my phone.  Functional cartoholic, I be.

Edit:  3/6/2016 ~14:00 PST Boar sighted 070/060, ran east to 072/061, turned north to 072/058, where it stopped fleeing, and I shot it.  --Spotted from sedan at 70 yards, only startled it when I got out. #roadhuntingminusroads (Longhorn)
         3/6/2016 ~16:00 PST Boar sighted 057/073, ran to 058/076, spooked again, ran to 058/073, spooked again, ran towards 058/076, shot it on the run.  Same technique, car spooked it twice, but no sway from driving makes easy shot on moving target.  (Longhorn)
         3/6/2016 ~16:08 PST Goat sighted fleeing Vyshnoye 065/092, spooked with sedan at 067/093, chased on foot towards 069/093, spooked towards 068/094, shot it.  That goat ran so fast, I thought it was a grey fox at first. (Longhorn)

Spoiler

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Spoiler

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

3/6/2016 ~18:45PST Spooked a herd of deer by Pogo/Rogovo 048/089, spotted them stopped at 045/090, shot one doe and collected, spotted remaining two at 048/088, shot buck, shot remaining doe stuck on power post while fleeing at 047/089. (Longhorn)  Video to follow...

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, j0nathan said:

Eh, I'd hope not. That'd turn off one of the few major survivor skills in the game. Learning orienteering is a huge part of survival in situations like this. Granted you can sink 1000s of hours into this map, and eventually know basically where you are most of the time, but until then you need skills like Terrain Identification, basic understanding of Azimuths, to understanding Grid Coordinates  and Resection.

I actually like that we don't get our hand held when it comes to orienteering. ^.^

• Like 3

i have over a 1,000 hours into DayZ ... but even I occasionally fall asleep with auto run going .. and find myself completely lost and turned around

• Like 1

That is really nicely done, indeed.

Awesome work- glad someone was able to start putting something together!

I'm a big fan of the boar pelt modified backpack so I'm always looking for boar spawns / roams. I've found them reliably (more than once) in the following areas: 

Across from the factory north west of orlovets: 115.24 / 76.07

North of Solnichny- in the open fields: 133.04 / 89.55

An associate of mine also pointed me towards one NW of Berezino towards Khelm so I suspect there is a spawn in that area. 119.03 / 50.91

Not sure if this is the type of input you want? 

Edited by eno

Can confirm there is a boar spawn around khelm/berizinho. Found it there three times on different servers.

To help me out with adding new locations and sightings Please use this Format 

• Time Of Day
  • Type of Animal 
  • Coordinates Of Idle Location First spotted 
  • Description : If you watched them, describe the path they took ( without being chased) 
  • Screenshot or Video if Possible

This is to help me quickly reference each sighting while I edit The map for the next update. 

Awesome work on the map! Keep it up.

• Like 1

Someone asked what inventory Items I use while hunting. 

So I showed it while recording this video. 

Two location areas i have seen the hogs at. North of Zel, and around green mountain. Could also be runners.

On 3/6/2016 at 1:41 PM, Zurvivalist said:

14 hours ago, stinkenheim said:

Can confirm there is a boar spawn around khelm/berizinho. Found it there three times on different servers.

Yup sounds like we are in the right central area. I chased up up the zel hill, and of coarse i would never be able to catch it. Back then they had no collision slowdowns.

The problem I'm facing right now . Is how to decide the best way to go about mapping out these locations. 

Here is an example of the problem. 
Its like when you go to the airfield . And scope out Infected from 800+ meters away. The persistent ones are Standing still . Typically always in the exact same spots . Its not until a player moves closer to them , that they start moving around and following their idle walking paths . 

With animals its kinda the same thing. Should I just mark each and every random spot they are initially spotted and wait for a pattern to emerge . Or should I set out to track each one's path each time I see one. 

Edited by Zurvivalist

Great job on this, firstly...and I would suggest you build a large sample size of the individual sightings and then use it to determine not only patterns, but the Devs thinking behind how they intend to iterate future spawns and behaviors. The nav meshes for Infected and probably animals as well will no doubt be improved upon in the coming builds so you would be spending a lot of time tracking them without any certainty that your data will survive to 1.0.

Keep it up, though...as this has reminded me there are other playstyles available to me other than the "coastie constable". I might start a character just for the sole purpose of tracking and killing game,, thanks!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, philbur said:

Great job on this, firstly...and I would suggest you build a large sample size of the individual sightings and then use it to determine not only patterns, but the Devs thinking behind how they intend to iterate future spawns and behaviors. The nav meshes for Infected and probably animals as well will no doubt be improved upon in the coming builds so you would be spending a lot of time tracking them without any certainty that your data will survive to 1.0.

Keep it up, though...as this has reminded me there are other playstyles available to me other than the "coastie constable". I might start a character just for the sole purpose of tracking and killing game,, thanks!

I currently use DayZtv to just mark every sighting and spot I see anything new . In the first map , I just meshed a few clusters into a single radius circle . But occasionally , I run into a single animal that just completely throws off my conclusions and theories as to figuring out their paths and patterns . 

For example in Vyshnoye . The animals are always Domesticated type. And they Always start in the backyard of the first house with the apple trees and move NW along the bushes toward the barn. 30+ kills and it's always been the same. Then last night I kill a goat , across the street , down the hill nearly to the tree line !? ! WTF was he doing down there ! ? 

For now atleast it seems the Devs placed spawns in higher traffic areas. Where players would be more likely to find them . ie : near towns , along the Heli crash routs and so on.. Which is the exact opposite of what I would probably have done. At Least with larger game like deer. I would have placed out in the barren deep forested areas and way up north.  Forcing people to take time away from the loot grind to actually go hunting for a days or two's worth of food. 

I expect things to change as new updates are released. But doing this map and keeping it updated has become just another objective to beep me busy and interested in the game when things get slow.

I strongly advise everyone to try out the hunter/ survivalist gameplay at least once.. I mean after all .. it is suppose to be a survival game.. which to me, means more than just dodging bullets all day.   Restrict yourself from eating or drinking anymore looted foods items. Only use what you hunt/fish/ farm.. and it completely changes the experence of the game for you .