SMoss

Status Report - 12 Nov 2015

Questions, if any devs pop in ;)

Will the new damage system allow better performing armour (combat helmet, plate carrier right now don't offer much protection) or are they working as intended?

What is the plan for items stored in packs when slots of the pack become unavailable due to damage?

Can we please see a video of the new rain and fog in action?

Multithread Optimizations o yea! I don't like the idea of machine guns. I'll remove them asap on my server, since i dont like that kids will use them as cod like gameplay.

Great Status report. That Rain and fog is totally amazing and upcoming changes to engine makes me wish i am Hiro nakamura.

Not that i'm not a fan of the game being as hard as possible, don't get me wrong but a helicopter missing every part (we need to find all those parts right?) is not either fun nor real. 

the idea is, make this with Dynamic Events, so you can find a helicopter with all parts or a helicopter with-out any parts. this would be totally awesome. think you have the battery for a car and you need a glow plug. you can start searching for glow plug with a chance of finding a car with a glow plug in it. 

thoughts ?  B)

Not a fan of the overabundant focus on shoot and transport, but I totally agree. It's a beef I already had with the V3S parts.

In case of an apocalypse you either use it to get the hell away with it or you leave it behind - that is, if you have the time to opt for of the two mentioned options.

The last thing you will do is calmly walk out of the door and start disassembling your truck, when apocalypse is hitting - even worse, you are walking around towns hiding individual pieces of your truck in different sheds? Really?

Granted, one could argue that most working trucks will have been used and are gone by now, so many (not all!) trucks having a problem here or there seems realistic. The combination of a puzzle and a model kit on the other hand sure is not. Same goes for a helicopter.Or a car. Vehicles should just be in random states of repair or disrepair, ranging from ready to use up to "more parts defunct".

Not a fan of the overabundant focus on shoot and transport, but I totally agree. It's a beef I already had with the V3S parts.

In case of an apocalypse you either use it to get the hell away with it or you leave it behind - that is, if you have the time to opt for of the two mentioned options.

The last thing you will do is calmly walk out of the door and start disassembling your truck, when apocalypse is hitting - even worse, you are walking around towns hiding individual pieces of your truck in different sheds? Really?

Granted, one could argue that most working trucks will have been used and are gone by now, so many (not all!) trucks having a problem here or there seems realistic. The combination of a puzzle and a model kit on the other hand sure is not. Same goes for a helicopter.Or a car. Vehicles should just be in random states of repair or disrepair, ranging from ready to use up to "more parts defunct".

I think the game could be balanced so that trucks are found mostly working (bar a battery, gas or spark plugs) but keeping them in good condition would require scavenging for parts.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

Brilliant status report! Really looking forward to the next update.

I do have a question for the devs:

1: Are you going to add the USMC jacket into the next EXP update? I would really want to complete my MARPAT look ;)

2: Is it possible for us to see the new cars in the next EXP update too?

3: are some of the new vehicles going to spawn in big cities like elektro? And if yes, how many? Or are they going to spawn randomly all over the map?

Edited by Andex

Great Status report. That Rain and fog is totally amazing and upcoming changes to engine makes me wish i am Hiro nakamura.

Not that i'm not a fan of the game being as hard as possible, don't get me wrong but a helicopter missing every part (we need to find all those parts right?) is not either fun nor real. 

the idea is, make this with Dynamic Events, so you can find a helicopter with all parts or a helicopter with-out any parts. this would be totally awesome. think you have the battery for a car and you need a glow plug. you can start searching for glow plug with a chance of finding a car with a glow plug in it. 

thoughts ?  B)

Very shortly, my thoughts are, that no one stated that vehicles would only ever spawn in a stripped down state :)

• Like 4

OMG!

Once the renderer is in place, Tatanko will be so busy taking pics, that he won't get any sleep at all!!!

True :(.

Devs, perhaps consider not implementing the new renderer? For the health of certain Dayz players.

Who needs sleep anyway?  B)

Renderer

Completed within October

- Multiple Cascade Shadow Maps
- Updated Rain Postprocess
- Updated HDR & Glow

Current Focus

- Finalizing postprocesses
- Multithread Optimizations

Next Up

- Small bodies of water, and Ocean rendering
- True Sky rendering

Any idea how soon we'll see the completed features in Experimental? I'm particularly interested in seeing the new weather elements.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm usually all good with multiple parts to put something together. I get it but look at this list:

Control Unit

Electrical Wires

Hydraulic Hoses

Pitch Links

Rear Rotor Blade

Igniter Plug

Battery

Aviation Fuel

Motor Oil

Hydraulic Fluid

Transmission Oil

I really can't back that up. I understand this game should be brutally hard. However, gameplay-wise, Why would someone go through all the trouble of gathering ALL these items and making sure they work, when this think can get stolen, blown up by a grenade launcher, or shot down with heavy machine guns. On top of that, the group of players (because no way one person is doing this, which is perfectly fine with me) is going to have a mental breakdown when they finally get this put together and it crashes shortly after take off because due to piloting error.

My feedback, at this point, would be to reconsider so many parts for something not very protected, or at least consider heave "health" stats for these "shoot me" aviation vehicles.

Thoughts?

Because that's tbe point, it's supposed to be hard to keep because it's a freakjng helicopter . If you dull down the challenge of getting a helicopter running you make every nerd flock to these things and then it's just helicopter hunter 2015 . To make people appreciate these things and make it so they don't go on killing sprees the moment they find these , they have to make it incredibly hard to Get it running , and I'm in complete agreeance with that.

On the note of the new renderer : it looks just freaking amazing I can't believe were finally able to look at it =P . But this long wait should be worth it I mean the down pours just look so realistic coupled with the fog !

• Like 1

Because that's tbe point, it's supposed to be hard to keep because it's a freakjng helicopter . 

People are lazy. No one remembers collecting 12 winshields to stop fuel leaking from Mi-8. They never felt that joy feeling when you take off with heli after 2 days of collecting parts and two hours of refueling with one jerry can.

• Like 4

Who needs sleep anyway?  B)

Any idea how soon we'll see the completed features in Experimental? I'm particularly interested in seeing the new weather elements.

At this point in time, no. If Brian does not choose to reveal such info via social media for example, it'll be something that we'll hear about in future status reports like usual :)

• Like 1

Because that's tbe point, it's supposed to be hard to keep because it's a freakjng helicopter . If you dull down the challenge of getting a helicopter running you make every nerd flock to these things and then it's just helicopter hunter 2015 . To make people appreciate these things and make it so they don't go on killing sprees the moment they find these , they have to make it incredibly hard to Get it running , and I'm in complete agreeance with that.

On the note of the new renderer : it looks just freaking amazing I can't believe were finally able to look at it =P . But this long wait should be worth it I mean the down pours just look so realistic coupled with the fog !

People are lazy. No one remembers collecting 12 winshields to stop fuel leaking from Mi-8. They never felt that joy feeling when you take off with heli after 2 days of collecting parts and two hours of refueling with one jerry can.

Again, I'm not saying that it's too hard to gather so many different parts, I'm saying the cost/benefit may not be there when someone may be able to shoot you down with a few seconds of heavy machine gun fire or a grenade launcher. 

In case you didn't see my other post in response to a Dev, I know we haven't even touched it yet.

Hopefully, it all works out since the heavy weapons will be rare themselves. Some have posted that the heli's will probably spawn with some or most of the parts necessary already, that would be great. 

Didn't even mention this yet:

Awesome F*ckin Status Report. Loved pretty much everything said! Keep up the great work!

Looks awesome, i can't wait for 0.59 and the new render !

And the pain when its goin down!

Edited by imun
  • Like 2

Make parts more common but fuel very rare then?

So then less fuel stations? We can all help with that, by blow them up. When can we blow up stations again? Or throw spray cans or ammo into fires again? Fires with spray cans was such an awesome improvised explosive. 

• Like 2

And the pain when its goin down!

Even better if only tail rotor is destroyed and you strugle in agony to land it.

• Like 3

Again, I'm not saying that it's too hard to gather so many different parts, I'm saying the cost/benefit may not be there when someone may be able to shoot you down with a few seconds of heavy machine gun fire or a grenade launcher.

In case you didn't see my other post in response to a Dev, I know we haven't even touched it yet.

Hopefully, it all works out since the heavy weapons will be rare themselves. Some have posted that the heli's will probably spawn with some or most of the parts necessary already, that would be great.

M240s and grenade launchers arent meant to shoot down helicopters , that's just Hollywood fantasy . Do you know how fast helicopters fly ? And how heavily armored their vital parts are ? Maybe at very close range with a lot of ammo an m240 could bust up pieces of a chopper but you're never going to be able to aim into tbe sky and shoot it down like a bird XD! The way helis will be destroyed is waiting for its owners to land it and then placing c4 on it or throw grenades into it , or shoot it while its sitting in place with an RPG (again , RPGS are NOT meant to hit aerial vehicles , that's call of duty nonsense right there).

Helicopters will be harder to shoot down then you are assuming.

• Like 3

M240s and grenade launchers arent meant to shoot down helicopters , that's just Hollywood fantasy . Do you know how fast helicopters fly ? And how heavily armored their vital parts are ? Maybe at very close range with a lot of ammo an m240 could bust up pieces of a chopper but you're never going to be able to aim into tbe sky and shoot it down like a bird XD! The way helis will be destroyed is waiting for its owners to land it and then placing c4 on it or throw grenades into it , or shoot it while its sitting in place with an RPG (again , RPGS are NOT meant to hit aerial vehicles , that's call of duty nonsense right there).

I wouldn't waste ammo on a heli that is flying past. Not only would it be a waste of ammo, but I wouldn't want to give away my location. My concern is that they will hover, perhaps looking for a base, and then start attacking if I'm spotted. In that situation, I'm going to want to shoot back with more than a Makarov!

• Like 1

I hope you are right.

I was thinking about when you try to pick up a team mate in a hotspot. We'll see, not too concerned anymore considering the dev's post.

• Like 1

all win.

better darkness inside buildings...

pockets being hurt by cloths damage and being repariable...

all the other stuff.

great update.

• Like 1

Very shortly, my thoughts are, that no one stated that vehicles would only ever spawn in a stripped down state :)

well, that's really nice to hear man, Great to hear :)

• Like 1

Peruse this list and see how many helicopters were confirmed to be shot down by insurgents pulling cawadooty nonsense in Afghanistan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviation_accidents_and_incidents_in_the_war_in_Afghanistan

I used to work on equipment for and occasionally around helicopters and they're quite sensitive when it comes to foreign objects contacting the rotors and external sensors. Sure there's lots of places a bullet can pass right through the hull without doing anything but if you land a shot on critical areas it's going down. I've even heard of records of one crashing on their first flight after a paintjob because someone forgot to remove a piece masking tape from an external pressure sensor, what do you think a bullet would do to that sensor?

Now that's real life but it'll all depend on how they handle the hit boxes in game, is it going to be one big lump with a ton of hit points or many boxes that affect systems and modules like the MS combat flight sim games. 

As far as an RPG specifically I don't think you shoot at it while it's in fast forward flight, you wait until it's either transitioning to/in hover, or just splash it while on or near the ground.  

• Like 1