SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

How you want to solve the problem of evasion character bullets , running in circles ? (Bad english)

momentum; they've been talking about that for a while now.

Scattering infected across the map is less awesome than running into hordes of them. This is really exciting. Can't wait to see what comes of this. Hopefully event-based zombie spawning (maybe even with rare loot). Dare to dream.

My dream is close to yours, to see all kinds of zombies, like zombies staying in one place - for example individuals staying near where their home was, and groups of different sizes wandering around Chernarus. And zombies inside buildings too, of course. Some could carry items worthwhile to loot.

• Like 1

Scattering infected across the map is less awesome than running into hordes of them. This is really exciting. Can't wait to see what comes of this. Hopefully event-based zombie spawning (maybe even with rare loot). Dare to dream.

The areas with high concentration of infected will eventually be areas that have good loot. It remains to be seen, but it seems this would just be a natural effect of CLE and higher player numbers.  

In the mod it always seemed to work this way too, I was never sure if it was real or how that was done. But, identifying and sneaking into a highly concentrated area always seemed to pay off.

If it works this way in standalone, in a more of a unscripted way, it will have huge potential with high player numbers.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Hmm speaking of vehicles something I always wondered but never heard an answer to is on helicopters, would it be extremely easy to implement helicopters due to the fact that the base engine was take on helicopters?

You missed a very good twitch stream with brian hicks at twitch con

feast your eye's!

• Like 1

true. I think zombies roaming around would add a lot more to the experience than static zombies.

I wonder, if zombies will roam around all the map? Whether I might face them on sniper hill or at a forest lake just like I might face them in Electro?

I think this might take the game to a new level. No more careless sprinting multiple towns. No more comfort on sniper hill. You'd need to be alert everywhere. So yes, scattering or specific spawnpoints definitely are less fun than not knowing where to encounter zeds. Maybe you could loot a town without seeing a zombie just to get killed by a horde 3 minutes after leaving town?

Hordes do sound promising - there is no real reason zombies should be tied to a specific city structure or quater.

• Like 1

i am somewhat interested in the reasoning/motivation to change the animation mechanic into a fluid, dynamic one (see eating video) instead the one we had until up to date. i was a huge advocate for such a change but remember how Dean back then "smashed" these ideas as too taxing for the overall server-performance. 

so what has changed?

edit:

in addition to this new mechanic, this would obviously also open the door for different dynamics in actions e.g. slow/silent vs. fast/noisy reloading of a gun.

Edited by joe_mcentire

One question/concern I would love to see addressed Brian:

In the gunsounds video, the players moves around and fires his submachineguns. He does it while hip firing and via the use of the newly introduced crosshair. The crosshair shows the exact movement of the sway, like the old dot did for a brief period of time. Luckily, you got rid of that, but now reintroduce it in a even stronger form? Why?

This really negates the need of aiming down sights. You can perfectly shoot from the hip, it's faster and you can move quicker and the aiming is totally sufficient.

Is this the direction you deliberately aim at, by design?

Edited by moeb1us
  • Like 2

Q: Could we turn off all kinds of PP effects separately but still "enjoy" effects that implicate some status like health? Also make the blood shown as some other effect than desaturation, that's horrible :D

• Like 1

next questions:

• do you, Brian, have all the info what is going to happen to parts of the map or is the work of senchi/ivan/theMapTeam hugely autonomous so that they always have some "larger" surprises left for you and the rest of your team?

• Do you consider also loot of memorabilia from Spartak Chernogorsk? auECeQs.png
  • Also how likely would be map expansions if these would stay quite "simple" e.g. areas representing huge natural reserves without the need of much infrastructure/buildings/etc.?
Edited by joe_mcentire

There was no mention about the new animation system except some info about eating mechanics but i'm going to ask it anyway: what's the current status on the new animation system? 

• Like 2

I have a lot of questions, because i am asking on behalf of the biggest german dayz community.

1) Is the USMC jacket going to spawn in 0.59?

2) How many infected can we expect for 0.59? (A few month ago you said that atm are spawning 1300 and you expecting for 1.0 more than 2000)

3) Are there any plans for adding a option to color the winchester? (like the mosin & blaze)

4) In 0.58 the char is getting sick after eating cooked meat, its already fixed internally for 0.59?

5) How many of your team are proofreading the descriptions of items? I never found a mistake :)

6) Could you tell me the number of trees in chernarus?

7) When are players able to shoot through bushes? 

8) Whats the current status of the slug ammo?

Edited by GDZ_saiboT
  • Like 2

1. Can we expect smaller Animals in the Future? (Snakes, Mice)

A few Reports earlier you mentioned generator (electricity) - Could we expect buildings (like the hospital) with electricity (Light from bulbs etc.)?

Parachutes - YES/NO/Maybe

I'd like to spray some graffiti in Dayz with the spray cans in DayZ - Can I expect something like this in the future?

• Like 2

Hey Brian,

my questions are:

• will there be some infected right in the first push of .59 experimental, or do they come back with the stable patch? Will those infected get the new AI and animation system implemented, like in the youtube video "Zombie Horde Test", Peter loaded up in March 2015?

• in the new introduced gapless animation system, will it be possible to repair a part of a car, for example the wheel, take a break, and then continue repairing at the same point where you stopped?

• the damage of different vehicle parts... AWESOME!!! But I hope if its implemented, a door of a V3S will take more than two or three shots with an AK before it falls apart. Am I right?

• are variations of dynamic events planned? I mean something like, you see a helicopter in the air flying around and then it crashes instead of just spawning somewhere? Or an abandoned survivercamp with lots of infected and maybe some civilian supply? Maybe we see some stuff like that? Later? After Beta?
Edited by imun
  • Like 4

Q: Brian could you please clarify a bit this statement: "As of this report the Engine team is focused on post processes and making sure that we have visual parity (making sure the visual quality is at least the same as the original renderer). "? as it seems it created some confusion in people's mind (myself included). :) New renderer will ultimately look better than the current one, correct?

Q: Will bodies ever be movable/transportable (like dragging them or putting them in body bags that can be put inside vehicles)?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!!

• Like 1

Q: Could we turn off all kinds of PP effects separately but still "enjoy" effects that implicate some status like health?

I suspect this issue has probably already made it onto the Dev's list. I'd be guessing that by release, these 'enjoyable' PP effects will actually become 'critical', meaning gameplay would be far more difficult without them. As opposed to the other more superfluous PP effects which could be toggled for performance sake, these critical ones wouldn't be optional.

"volume balance changes, with different shoe/boot types" and the vehicle destruction sounds/looks great!

I'm assuming shoe/boot changes will give rise to footwear like the leather moccasins for stealth and combat boots/hiking boots for durability. If that's correct, I'm looking forward to it!

Is the vehicle destruction system similar to the ragdoll system we currently have? If so will damaged/broken parts (doors/hoods) be accessible upon falling off? Any of the parts salvageable after falling off? 

In regards to the animation/item interaction changes: Any sort of negative effects (planned/known) that can occur when letting said key go too soon while interacting with a specific item?

What are you/the team looking forward too most with the upcoming 0.59 update?

Edit: Oh and one for down the line. Is transitioning from .PBO to .FBX format still planned?

Edited by HugoStiglitz
  • Like 1

Hey Brian. Is there any word on advanced cooking? While it's impressive to see rice now being eaten as a function of mouse click, we must still not forget that it is still uncooked, hard rice that is inedible in real life.

Also, follow up questions. Long, long ago, there was a Steyr AUG A3 (with rail) in some datamined files. When will it appear in game?

Can we expect the FAL and G19 in the 0.59 update?

Also, LOOOOOONG time ago, grenade launcher attachments (M203 Short and GP-25, together with their scope attachments) have been found in files. Will they be introduced with the weapon update?

Will the mentioned weapon functionality updates be part of 0.59 Stable?

Woodland pants have been showcased by Chris recently. Will there be a Woodland M65 jacket?

Have you guys ever considered doing cloth/netting helmet covers? They could be craftable (you can find a jacket or netting of the desired color or pattern, then you just cut it out and then apply sewing kit to it), and would fulfill the military look significantly. Also, it only needs to be done for two types of helmet (Ballistic and SSh68).

Is it possible to see the visors on certain helmets (Pilot, Gorka and Motorcycle) to be movable? Right click - lower/raise visor? Same action like on ATLAS Bipod.

Edited by HrcAk47
  • Like 1

Great status report, here's some questions:

On the roadmap barricading comes before basebuilding but barricading seems to have fallen by the wayside ever since the fortified camp concepts were shown. Is barricading buildings still planned?

I haven't seen much mention of the advanced crafting system (not crafting benches) recently, I think there was talk about a system similar to Stranded Deep were you put all the items you want to craft together in a pile on the ground, hold the right tool in your hand and then select what you want to make out of the raw materials. Is some method of crating more than two things together at a time still planned? 

How complex is the medical system going to get? When will wounds require more attention than the 1 rag cure all?

• Like 3

1. Can we expect smaller Animals in the Future? (Snakes, Mice) -snip-

We've already seen a working rat model a long long time ago.

-snip-

Q: Will bodies ever be movable/transportable (like dragging them or putting them in body bags that can be put inside vehicles)?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!!

You could drag bodies in the mod and it has been said that this is something planned for the standalone too (if I remember correctly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hicks_206

Q: Can you verify any plans for improving windows?

Q: Will we see more new infected models in 0.59?

• Like 1

Questions-

Will the zombies be more concentrated and in more numbers on the coast and cities?

Plans on giving players more incentive to explore?

The weapons spawning with attachments...does this include mags with ammo in them or next to them?

Will supressors be more harder to find? (As they are too common in 0.58)

Will the gun sounds have a "echo" kinda sound to them when in a "long barn" for example, like in the video?

I really like the hold down mouse key to eat and let go to stop, will this apply to chambering a round with the CR527 for example (let go of key to chamber)?

Will the military barracks (Vybor military ones for example) be tweaked for 0.59?

Will the new damage system be in the first experimental iteration? What other new tech will be in the first iteration?

In the future, will we see bullet holes with blood on bodys where our shots impacted?

Edited by cs_wolf

Question : "Will we be able to loot the sunken ships in the harbor?" in the future? Scuba gear and such? 

Since this pic of [Cherno](http://i.imgur.com/MvE3Vwk.jpg) has two sunken cargo ships in the harbor, I'm kinda hoping that we might get introduced with diving mechanics kinda like what ArmA 3 has atm.

Would be really cool to dive underwater and loot / salvage of what is hidden in those cargo ships.

Not to mention, it opens the door to many other possibilities. 

* Discovering underwater crashes 

- Military crashes - http://i.imgur.com/CKTXRYv.jpg

* A stealthy way to approach prison island / skalisty island. 

* A different way to flank heavily armed players on the beach, etcetc

MvE3Vwk.jpg

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 7

Q:

U said: " We're going to be spawning infected again at strong quantities in 0.59"

How many we can expect and how much mechanics have change and are they new "chernarus fashion" zombies with lootable items?

Edited by SuperSloth

Absolutely love the new status report, keep it up.

I specially love the amount of video's and pictures.

I hope this suits everyone's needs concerning the status report and the postponing of 0.59.

The car which can be broken down looks really nice and realistic. All these new things show a lot of potential. :)

To be clear - there has been no postponing of 0.59, as just like 0.58 - there has never been a set date. It will be ready, when it is ready.

• Like 7

Figured there'd have been some news on the new weapons and Tisy base. I was wrong. And disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the vehicle stuff falling off (LOOK AT THOSE NOT GLITCHY PHYSICS, WHOO!), the new sounds, and that house in the ocean on the last picture of Cherno (off to the left side of the port), and the multi-threading is great, but it wouldn't kill anyone to give some news on the new guns and areas.

Status Reports are not meant to entertain, they are informative on what is ready to be discussed at the given moment. Just because we said there will be a Tisy base does not mean it is A) Ready to be shown B) In 0.59

• Like 3