SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

next questions:

• do you, Brian, have all the info what is going to happen to parts of the map or is the work of senchi/ivan/theMapTeam hugely autonomous so that they always have some "larger" surprises left for you and the rest of your team?

• Do you consider also loot of memorabilia from Spartak Chernogorsk? auECeQs.png
  • Also how likely would be map expansions if these would stay quite "simple" e.g. areas representing huge natural reserves without the need of much infrastructure/buildings/etc.?

- I'm aware of, and collaborate with Senchi and his team when it comes to Chernarus. However, I strongly believe in letting Senchi and his team do what they feel best - as they have clearly shown to be artisans when it comes to world design.

- We currently have no plans for expanding the Chernarus Plus map.

Could you rephrase your middle question? I'm not sure what you mean.

• Like 1

There was no mention about the new animation system except some info about eating mechanics but i'm going to ask it anyway: what's the current status on the new animation system? 

Still being created - when I have a good chunk of info ready to talk to people about, you can be certain I will!

• Like 1

*snip*

Someone who doesn't have a connection to the server simply cannot be allowed to kill other players, its just apsurd.

I play at 700+ ping and whole heartedly agree with you, ultimately I'll be playing 1-3 player on a local network or single player but currently the no ping kick servers remind me of when FPS games first came out and lag could help you win.

If I don't want to get killed I just rabbit run in a random serpentine and I'm anywhere but where I appear on the other persons screen. Have seen it because I can see myself on my kids screen behind me and discussed it with other players in game.  

Could you rephrase your middle question? I'm not sure what you mean.

implying that there was a club (e.g. Spartak/Metallurg/Dinamo Chernogorsk) that used to have called these grounds their home. therefore we would find all sorts of memorabilia as loot around cherno: kits, balls, scarfs, fanfares/horns 

:D reaching for the stars here obviously

Edited by joe_mcentire

I have a lot of questions, because i am asking on behalf of the biggest german dayz community.

1) Is the USMC jacket going to spawn in 0.59?

2) How many infected can we expect for 0.59? (A few month ago you said that atm are spawning 1300 and you expecting for 1.0 more than 2000)

3) Are there any plans for adding a option to color the winchester? (like the mosin & blaze)

4) In 0.58 the char is getting sick after eating cooked meat, its already fixed internally for 0.59?

5) How many of your team are proofreading the descriptions of items? I never found a mistake :)

6) Could you tell me the number of trees in chernarus?

7) When are players able to shoot through bushes? 

8) Whats the current status of the slug ammo?

1) Shouldn't be an issue - so I'm going to say yes sir.

2) We'll have to see how they perform - ask me after a few experimental builds have been out.

3) I have to sync with Chris and Scape to see the status of the procedural coloring - not certain right now.

4) Yes sir, as of the last build I checked it was looking good to go.

5) Aside from the designers creating the configurations for the items, proof reading on that stuff is well below the bug bar right now.

6) I can get you that answer during the week - I'm doing the Q&A from home on the weekend ;)

7) I hate this bug, with a passion. I want it slayed before we leave Early Access.

8) Different ammo types per weapon are pending support in engine by the gameplay programming team.

• Like 4

1. Can we expect smaller Animals in the Future? (Snakes, Mice)
  2. A few Reports earlier you mentioned generator (electricity) - Could we expect buildings (like the hospital) with electricity (Light from bulbs etc.)?
  3. Parachutes - YES/NO/Maybe
  4. I'd like to spray some graffiti in Dayz with the spray cans in DayZ - Can I expect something like this in the future?

1) It would be nice, and something I'd like to do for sure - but I don't want to over promise here. So lets say - it'd be cool, but if we did it it would be after 1.0.

2) I need to sit down with my Lead Designer Peter and come to an agreement on how the generators would interact with existing static structures.

3) Maybe.

4) Lets chalk that up to a "Would be awesome for a post 1.0 patch"

• Like 2

brian thanks so far! you were talking about i guess 3 skills your team is working on so far. any sneak peeks here :P? what did you consider when you were laying the grounds for skills/skilltrees? will skills be more like perks: you gain an ability you didn't have before or more tuning of numbers, or a proper mix of both?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Hey Brian,

my questions are:

• will there be some infected right in the first push of .59 experimental, or do they come back with the stable patch? Will those infected get the new AI and animation system implemented, like in the youtube video "Zombie Horde Test", Peter loaded up in March 2015?

• in the new introduced gapless animation system, will it be possible to repair a part of a car, for example the wheel, take a break, and then continue repairing at the same point where you stopped?

• the damage of different vehicle parts... AWESOME!!! But I hope if its implemented, a door of a V3S will take more than two or three shots with an AK before it falls apart. Am I right?

• are variations of dynamic events planned? I mean something like, you see a helicopter in the air flying around and then it crashes instead of just spawning somewhere? Or an abandoned survivercamp with lots of infected and maybe some civilian supply? Maybe we see some stuff like that? Later? After Beta?

1) Yes, infected will be spawning in stronger numbers with the first 0.59 exp. The infected AI was completely replaced ages ago, the old AI and Sensors do not exist anymore.

2) As I said in the Status Report - the design team has a big pile of actions to completely rewrite in Enscript, so we'll see as they get to some of those actions how we'll handle them.

3) I hate to sound like a broken record, but just like the Status Report mentions - the behavior in the video is for demonstration and testing purposes. Obviously balancing on the "hit points" for each of these parts will have to occur.

4) We have no soldier AI to pilot vehicles, and no plans for it. I firmly believe if you see a vehicle being operated, or a survivor moving - it needs to be a *real person* - not a predictable AI. 

• Like 3

I've really been on the fence about this, and to be honest I'm still undecided if you should be able to fully disable postprocessing. The title communicates critical information on the status of your character via this effect.

You should set it "forced", otherwise just remove PP from the game

(because 90% users are/will disable it if they could : since it make the game easier or put them on an equal footing with others)

• Like 1

But its not Real Virtuality and since they are working on new engine now is the time to fix desync once and for all.

Someone who doesn't have a connection to the server simply cannot be allowed to kill other players, its just apsurd.

Yeah, hopefully it will be possible. But Enfusion is still Real Virtuality with massive changes. I really hope they could fix things like that. But if the ArmA 3 team haven't fixed issues like these, I doubt DayZ team will... but oh well - I might be wrong. Hopefully I am...

Q: Brian could you please clarify a bit this statement: "As of this report the Engine team is focused on post processes and making sure that we have visual parity (making sure the visual quality is at least the same as the original renderer). "? as it seems it created some confusion in people's mind (myself included). :) New renderer will ultimately look better than the current one, correct?

Q: Will bodies ever be movable/transportable (like dragging them or putting them in body bags that can be put inside vehicles)?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!!

1) We've been saying this for probably over a year - we're aiming for visual parity initially. Once that is achieved, we'll see where we can go from there.

2) Being able to drag players, and their bodies is critical to gameplay opportunities in my opinion. Yes sir, that is most definitely something we want to enable players to do.

• Like 3

1. With the new animation system and player controller, will we be able to move up hills more smoothly?

2. With the new animations for eating making it so you're not locked into it, will we eventually be able to walk or jog while performing such actions?  I seem to recall one of the devs (maybe Peter) saying that would be possible.  It would be nice to be able to not only cancel eating animations more intuitively, but also not be restricted to standing still.

3. Forest density being increased as a test was mentioned by Eugen on reddit, is there any progress on that?  Will we possibly see it tested on Experimental?

"volume balance changes, with different shoe/boot types" and the vehicle destruction sounds/looks great!

I'm assuming shoe/boot changes will give rise to footwear like the leather moccasins for stealth and combat boots/hiking boots for durability. If that's correct, I'm looking forward to it!

Is the vehicle destruction system similar to the ragdoll system we currently have? If so will damaged/broken parts (doors/hoods) be accessible upon falling off? Any of the parts salvageable after falling off? 

In regards to the animation/item interaction changes: Any sort of negative effects (planned/known) that can occur when letting said key go too soon while interacting with a specific item?

What are you/the team looking forward too most with the upcoming 0.59 update?

Edit: Oh and one for down the line. Is transitioning from .PBO to .FBX format still planned?

1) That is the intent, making sure the engine supports it will be critical. However, the new sound module should allow us far more complex audio configuration options.

2) Well, they are related in that they both use the same physics system yeah. As far as utilizing destroyed parts that fall off, I don't really view that as critical. Its a level of depth that we just shouldn't be chasing down at this point (in my opinion) - after all these are *destroyed* and unusable. Like a pair of ruined shoes, its trash - and we have so much to keep track of already. :)

3) Nothing planned at this time, aside from the obvious things like not applying a bandage if you don't complete the animation I suppose.

4) I'm personally looking forward to the increase of players per server instance.

Lastly - I think you mean P3D to FBX? If so, yes.

Yeah, hopefully it will be possible. But Enfusion is still Real Virtuality with massive changes. I really hope they could fix things like that. But if the ArmA 3 team haven't fixed issues like these, I doubt DayZ team will... but oh well - I might be wrong. Hopefully I am...

Please refrain from misinformation like this. Enfusion is not Real Virtuality - while it has it similarities, and they are part of the same family - we're talking millions of lines of code difference at this point. 

• Like 4

I think you are just nitpicking here. The team said the changes are so massive that it's essentially a brand new engine. Hence the new name and branding it as new. Of course only they know how much of legacy code is left, but I doubt it's enough to really affect anything.

EDIT: Hicks got me there first :D listen to him, not me.

Edited by Xetro

also something i wanted to see getting explained, and i know it really might be interesting for me alone :D:

in former days one of the many beautiful things was sitting amidst a slavic speaking, cryillic scripting world. with all your latest additions this shifted more and more to an english speaking and latin scripting one. was it on purpose or what's the basic reasoning behind that?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Are ever able to climb over obstacles?

Can we ever paint vehicles?

What feature you wait most to get in to the game?

Edited by SuperSloth

Hey Brian. Is there any word on advanced cooking? While it's impressive to see rice now being eaten as a function of mouse click, we must still not forget that it is still uncooked, hard rice that is inedible in real life.

Also, follow up questions. Long, long ago, there was a Steyr AUG A3 (with rail) in some datamined files. When will it appear in game?

Can we expect the FAL and G19 in the 0.59 update?

Also, LOOOOOONG time ago, grenade launcher attachments (M203 Short and GP-25, together with their scope attachments) have been found in files. Will they be introduced with the weapon update?

Will the mentioned weapon functionality updates be part of 0.59 Stable?

Woodland pants have been showcased by Chris recently. Will there be a Woodland M65 jacket?

Have you guys ever considered doing cloth/netting helmet covers? They could be craftable (you can find a jacket or netting of the desired color or pattern, then you just cut it out and then apply sewing kit to it), and would fulfill the military look significantly. Also, it only needs to be done for two types of helmet (Ballistic and SSh68).

Is it possible to see the visors on certain helmets (Pilot, Gorka and Motorcycle) to be movable? Right click - lower/raise visor? Same action like on ATLAS Bipod.

1) Just as soon as I have something ready to show you guys, I will!

2) No plans on that right now.

3) No sir, not 0.59

4) Which weapon update are you referencing? Just so we don't get our wires crossed.

5) Assuming you're talking about the mentioned changes in how reloading and chambering work - right now its looking like *partially* - but I anticipate the functionality as described for 0.60.

6) More than likely, yes sir.

7) Considered it sure - I don't think thats very high on the to do list though ;)

8) Possible yes - Not sure if we'll get around to that anytime soon though.

also something i wanted to see getting explained, and i know it really might be interesting for me alone :D:

in former days one of the many beautiful things was sitting amidst a slavic speaking, cryillic scripting world. with all your latest additions this shifted more and more to an english speaking and latin scripting one. was it on purpose or what's the basic reasoning behind that?

The Chernarussian language is a latin alphabet slavic language, much like polish, czech, or slovak.

• Like 2

The Chernarussian language is a latin alphabet slavic language, much like polish, czech, or slovak.

So what is the official reason for road signs and some billboards being written in Cyrillic? 

• Like 1

First of all I have to say that I don't own the game, but I'm following the game development by a little bit because I felt in love with this game. Since I'll try to put aside some money to buy it asap, I have some questions about the game and the future.

1) Will the new engine/updates get rid of the de sync all whine about, expecially when zombies will be back in the game?

2) I love realism, and I love your concept about base building. It's awesome and realistic compared to other game like H1Z1 where you spawn foundation and build somethin you'll never build in a zombie apocalypse. My question is, how would you prevent people building pretty much everywhere? Will there be some base "raiding" mechanics?
Also, I think the best thing in this game scenario, would be the ability to barricade inside of a house; will this ever be possible?

3) Zombie behaviour: I think that one of the worst thing about other Zombie games (coff coff H1Z1) is that the devs just throw everywhere some zombies, and expect people to enjoy that. I think that zombies should create a "Dungeon Experience". I'm ok that there should be some zombies wondering about the world, but mostly, zombies should be inside houses and important buildings, and they should create some threat when you try to get the loot, because you need to fight them and clear the zone before getting the stuff they "protect".
Will this ever be a thing in this game? Also, when building will be released, would be nice to fight zombies that try to get in my camp!

4) Will the ability to push away Zombies or grab them to prevent them getting close ever exist in this game? It would be awesome to have the ability to actually control a zombie, blocking his walk to execute him with a knife in the neck.

5) Server hopping: will this ever be changed, so you can't join an empty server, get full gear and then join a full one to pvp? Will build a base to hide your important stuff ever be a thing?

6) Stupid question: will this game be in sale soon? (maybe during the halloween sale) If yes, how much it will be? I'd really like to have the possibility to get in this game, but can't really afford right now!

Sorry for the long message, and sorry If I posted this even if I'm not part of this community; I know that maybe some points are really stupid for you that play this game.

Edited by GryphonCH

So what is the official reason for road signs and some billboards being written in Cyrillic? 

countries like serbia have actually both. and that was at least occupied and such. so also for chernarus that could make some sense.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

4) We have no soldier AI to pilot vehicles, and no plans for it. I firmly believe if you see a vehicle being operated, or a survivor moving - it needs to be a *real person* - not a predictable AI.

Thank you sir for clearing this up for me. Especially the come back of the infected!

Because of dynamic Events. Maybe AI is predictable but spawnpoints of chrashsites are predictable too and I think it would be more thrilling if you see a crashing heli and you know, maybe other players go hunting it, then farming the different spawnpoints of helicrashsites.

Ps. Excuse me in advance for my Bad english skills

Edited by imun

Great status report, here's some questions:

On the roadmap barricading comes before basebuilding but barricading seems to have fallen by the wayside ever since the fortified camp concepts were shown. Is barricading buildings still planned?

I haven't seen much mention of the advanced crafting system (not crafting benches) recently, I think there was talk about a system similar to Stranded Deep were you put all the items you want to craft together in a pile on the ground, hold the right tool in your hand and then select what you want to make out of the raw materials. Is some method of crating more than two things together at a time still planned? 

How complex is the medical system going to get? When will wounds require more attention than the 1 rag cure all?

1) Barricading is still very much something we want to do, right now the team is just focused on other deliverables.

2) You haven't heard much on the advanced crafting / customization lately because it is dependent on the new UI. Once that is fully in and playable we can start rolling out things that require it. :)

3) I'd like to save this question for a fully fleshed out proper answer in a Status Report. Needless to say, it will get at least a little bit more complicated. How far that will go will be covered in a future SR.

Thank you sir for clearing this up for me. Especially the come back of the infected!

Because of dynamic Events. Maybe AI is predictable but spawnpoints of chrashsites are predictable too and I think it would be more thrilling if you see a crashing heli and you know, maybe other players go hunting it, then farming the different spawnpoints of helicrashsites.

Ps. Excuse me in advance for my Bad english skills

I really don't think crash sites are -that- predictable. There are 3 crashes active at any given time, and over 100 possible locations. (of which will increase)

• Like 3