SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

*Crossing Fingers*

Hi Brian, 

I read through the suggestions forum a lot and see good suggestions come up. Good being entirely ignorant to developing. 2 such suggestions that were interesting were 

1) Crafted tents - Tents/huts created using the material in nature, such as lean tents, or those seen made by people on the show naked and afraid. Any plans for these down the road? 

2) Megaphone - I'm pretty sure this can't be detailed or answered until the new audio setup is ready (unfamiliar with the technical jargon), but any plans for the megaphone to make it in game?

2) Megaphone - I'm pretty sure this can't be detailed or answered until the new audio setup is ready (unfamiliar with the technical jargon), but any plans for the megaphone to make it in game?

yes, they showed the model months ago on trello.

megaphone.jpg

@ Mr. Hicks: Thank you for your time :)

edit: One more question:

Any infos you can share with the progress of the Kamensk mine? Or maybe other cave or underground systems?

Edited by xCAPx
  • Like 1

yes, they showed the model months ago on trello.

megaphone.jpg

@ Mr. Hicks: Thank you for your time :)

edit: One more question:

Any infos you can share with the progress of the Kamensk mine? Or maybe other cave or underground systems?

Thank you sir for that answer on the megaphone!

apart from long distance sniping there's no good reason to aim down the sights of a gun, is this intentional?

We can shoot more accurately and quickly without aiming down the sights. imo that's a shame.

Would love to see this one answered.  To add to it, why was the floating crosshair improved so much when the initial goal was stated as moving away from it, that it was only there for picking up items?

Would love to see this one answered.  To add to it, why was the floating crosshair improved so much when the initial goal was stated as moving away from it, that it was only there for picking up items?

The question has been avoided/ignored a couple of times now. My question had a load of like so it's not one you'd just scroll past. The initial question  was dismissed over sematics (the poster said hip fire.)

There's a video somewhere of how strafing right and walking backwards defeats sway completely and walking left and forward makes it totally minimal but from the ignoring of my question and a previous question it seems like this is a design decision but not one they want to talk about. 

Ironic to see aiming down the sights in the fal video. And on that topic, as a modeller myself I'd far rather model guns and exciting things but could the team not have completed all the buildings that are exploitable as well? Generally the exploiter exploits a model with an area that is currently supposed to be unenterable. Why not complete the models? I know they are only boring builds but why not finish the camo building so all the doors work so there isn't some place to glitch into? Same for loads of buildings. The concentration seems to be on models most of us may never even see.

(next day edit: left the above as is but still have faith, think I probably jumped to conclusions and am looking forward to eating my words.)

plus

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

Ironic to see aiming down the sights in the fal video. And on that topic, as a modeller myself I'd far rather model guns and exciting things but could the team not have completed all the buildings that are exploitable as well? Generally the exploiter exploits a model with an area that is currently supposed to be unenterable. Why not complete the models? I know they are only boring builds but why not finish the camo building so all the doors work so there isn't some place to glitch into? Same for loads of buildings. The concentration seems to be on models most of us may never even see.

there was an post from hicks a while ago where he said, most of the glitching in objects will be "auto fixed" with the new player model and working now on the glitching is wasting time.

• Like 2

more are planned but it is important to understand that DayZ Mod had the large variety it did because it pulled from Arma 2 - which itself pulled from several scrapped projects in addition to its own planned vehicles.

Wait, what? Can you clarify on what you mean & tell us roughly how many vehicles we will actually have at release?

Nobody expected DayZ to have dozens of vehicles like other big releases these days - but I hope Bohemia realizes that they will be tarred & feathered if they release DayZ with ~5 ground vehicles.

DayZ mod initially had maybe ~15 vehicles total, which most players don't consider a "large variety", but the bare minimum...

Edited by derLoko
  • Like 1

Wait, what? Can you clarify on what you mean & tell us roughly how many vehicles we will actually have at release?

Nobody expected DayZ to have dozens of vehicles like other big releases these days - but I hope Bohemia realizes that they will be tarred & feathered if they release DayZ with ~5 ground vehicles.

DayZ mod initially had maybe ~15 vehicles total, which most players don't consider a "large variety", but the bare minimum...

Speak for yourself man.

• Like 2

Where do you even need all of the different vehicles? Truck, bus, car, bike, chopper, plane, and boat. One of each would be more than enough for this game because DayZ isn't about vehicles. If the vehicles are customizable then it's even better.
  • Like 2

1) Is Oculus compatibility still a priority?

2) Is improved water (streams, ponds etc) a long-term priority for the new renderer (I know you are aiming for parity in the first instance). Would add a lot to the feel of Chernarus.

Edited by Roshi

I don't know where to comment but nice work with the vehicle physics and stuff. The videos in Brian's Twitter look great.

• Like 1

Where do you even need all of the different vehicles? Truck, bus, car, bike, chopper, plane, and boat. One of each would be more than enough for this game because DayZ isn't about vehicles. If the vehicles are customizable then it's even better.

Agreed. There is still some variety within what you listed, too: dirtbike vs bicycle, variants of truck, etc. In other words, every necessary niche is covered. It's unnecessary niches, game-breakers, and vanity (variety for the sake of variety) that they probably won't bother with.

An example of unnecessary, in my opinion, would be large boats. Without a long-distance water destination, there's just no need for such a vehicle to exist. For game-breakers, think something along the lines of a tank -- it would ruin power balance, and adds nothing to the game really. Vanity would be having two vehicles that do the exact same job... like two different hatchbacks, for example.

• Like 1

Q: What is being done to prevent server hopping on public servers ruining the loot economy?

Admittedly I don't have any data to support my claim that server hopping ruins the economy of public servers, but I don't see how there aren't extremely harmful consequences to being able to visit parallel universes and bring as much loot as you can carry, repeatedly, to your own universe. It must completely mess up any kind of balance measures the CLE has, and even if it would take "imported" items in tents into consideration, making them natively spawn less on the server, this would still cause severe imbalance against those who don't server hop for gear, right? Have you had any talks about perhaps making every server a private hive one?

Edited by Kiwihead

I think that there should be total of around 15 of vehicles aside of bikes. It should include 1 plane/heli and 2-3 boats. There should be also another 30 bikes. However to balance the bikes there should be stamina and ability to ride only over hard terrain like roads or dirt roads and not grass or sand.

I think that there should be total of around 15 of vehicles aside of bikes. It should include 1 plane/heli and 2-3 boats. There should be also another 30 bikes. However to balance the bikes there should be stamina and ability to ride only over hard terrain like roads or dirt roads and not grass or sand.

I don't know what number there "should" be, but just remember, these vehicles in SA are not like other games.

It's more about how detailed each vehicle is, one vehicle in SA has as much detail as 10 of the mod. Working parts and functions, this matters more than the total number....

I would rather have them get each and everyone of these parts modular and functional, than put out 15 A2 crappy sedans.

Looking at this picture I was thinking, something like brake fluid would be fun. :)

dayz-vehicle-engine-w-i-p-model-preview-

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Looking at this picture I was thinking, something like brake fluid would be fun. :)

Brake fluid was actually an item in-game earlier in development! (or it was found in game files, I'm not sure).

• Like 1

Didn't Hicks say he'll be back with more answers? Or have things changed? I don't want to be ungrateful, just askin :)

Where did you get info on that? What I heard from devs (if I'm not mistaken) on this topic was, that map expansion beyond borders is impossible and it won't happen, because of the engine limitations (they would have to manually reconfigure coordinates for every single object in game or something like that). Can anyone confirm this?

Sorry for the delayed response, I totally meant to say "isn't" possible when I mentioned expanding past borders... hell of a typo lol.

Yeah, they said they can't for the reasons you gave. It was meant it just be a question about adding landmass to the ocean area, which I assume wouldn't cause the same issues as expanding the borders.

Edited by SpartanxApathy