boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Honestly at this rate, we may see a delay of 5-6 months for beta i guess. not getting any news is sucks, apparently we don't *need* to know anything just yet, even with this delays.

whatever, i'm out for sometimes i guess, leaving forums too.

this is just so much for me :)

I see beta happening by march, maybe april which is still absolutely fine imo.

You people seem to have forgotten they announced massive mapchanges for this patch? And massive gamechanges via addition of modules? Maybe they also want to surprise us a little.

This is pure Bs. Theres always servers with people on, mostly a few completely full. I play on all times of the day except around lunchtime and when theres few people playing this means at least 2000 people or so. Interest in the game HAS dropped though, its not that strange though. This is early access and a lot of people have probably tried the game, decided its not done and are waiting for it to go to Beta at least.

I must also say one very positive thing. I haven't died to a leg-break bug in a very long time. Thank you devs.

Why would I lie???? I couldn't get onto a high pop server and there seemed to be a lot less populated servers imho... All I am saying is the development of the game seems to have slowed and that tied with the everyone playing with no zombies has maybe turned people off the game AT THE MOMENT.

I'm not saying that people won't come back when there is an update just for the time being there seems to be a lot less players on. 

Yes, beta in march is realistic IMO.

I just played ~3h the last four weeks... :-( because stable is a bit boring.

But I have a feeling that we won't see a exp update this week, but I believe they are trying to bring the zeds back and make the map more "apocalyptic" before Helloween. :-)

would be super awesome!

• Like 1

what's up with the updating schedule? does dayz means delete zombies?

come on it is many months past, when can you reach beta version? when hl3 comes?

Why would I lie???? I couldn't get onto a high pop server and there seemed to be a lot less populated servers imho... All I am saying is the development of the game seems to have slowed and that tied with the everyone playing with no zombies has maybe turned people off the game AT THE MOMENT.

I'm not saying that people won't come back when there is an update just for the time being there seems to be a lot less players on. 

I don't know why you would lie but people do it constantly, even here on the forums. But there is a great deal of difference between "couldnt get on" and "couldn't find" so maybe if you had formulated your statement in that manner in the first hand I wouldnt have had to reply to it. If you are interested in the number of people playing just go here; http://steamcharts.com/app/221100#48h  where its quite easy to see that the "famine" patch of 0.55 made a lot of people leave and then its been a slow decline. Not so much lately. Its nothing strange though, people need to understand that this is something akin to an open alpha and theres rarely this many people playing the game during such an early state of development. I'm sure people will be back when the game is closer to release, simply because theres nothing else out there in the genre that is better. As of yet.

Yes, beta in march is realistic IMO.

but I believe they are trying to bring the zeds back and make the map more "apocalyptic" before Helloween. :-)

would be super awesome!

Well this is rather optimistic hahaa! I would eat my hat if you are correct :D

-snip-

New tech and large assets being merged in, game conference, extra attention to stability, national holiday, game conference, hardware failure, DDOS..... weeee!

-snip-

-snip-

You people seem to have forgotten they announced massive mapchanges for this patch? And massive gamechanges via addition of modules? Maybe they also want to surprise us a little.

Certainly I am not "you people".

You seem to have forgot my post from 2 pages back....

• Like 1

I don't understand the negativity which gets thrown at the developers.

We have no idea what happens behind the scenes at the moment. Maybe we will be blown away because of 0.59, maybe not.

Have we all forgotten why we always click on the "I understand" button? We should be grateful that we can be part of this alpha and that we can help the developers with their progress.

The developers are not obligated to inform the community, it's rather a nice bonus for us, but also a nice gesture from the developers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also anxious to play 0.59. However, in the meantime I'm playing other games and playing a bit DayZ in between.

In addition I really hope for a big surprise for 0.59.

Chill out and relax survivors, all will be well in the end.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 7

Ultimately, this is all we can do. I have my own thoughts about the current state of things, but it wouldn't do any good for me to put them into public record here. Best to just do something else for a while and then be pleasantly surprised when we actually do get word of progress -- and I recommend everyone else do the same.

• Like 6

Status report should be ready tomorrow maybe we will get some new information.

@Hicks_206

Edited by xCrankx
  • Like 4

Ultimately, this is all we can do. I have my own thoughts about the current state of things, but it wouldn't do any good for me to put them into public record here. Best to just do something else for a while and then be pleasantly surprised when we actually do get word of progress -- and I recommend everyone else do the same.

My sentiments exactly.  Gotta say as I've broken off from DayZ to play other stuff it was impossible to keep my excitement level up -- one could say my "Zopamine" levels have dropped off   ;)  and things are back to status quo.  Through Steam I can see dozens of ardent DayZ players now playing other games as a rule.  These people (including myself) add up to at least 10,000 hours play time cumulatively and that can't be a good thing for the health of this game.

I sincerely hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

I think as far as the early access model goes for any video game there's a lot to discuss as far as accountability. I don't think anyone has quite figured it out yet. These forums for example seem to be split between people who want the heads of the developers at every delay, and people who think any excuse for delays and adjusted timelines is a good one. I think once everyone is looking back on the development of DayZ, regardless of the quality of the game, they'll say "We/They could have done better." I think that's the simplest way to put it. It's very clear that it's been messy and that the group at times has bitten off more than they can chew. That doesn't mean they can't get the mission accomplished, but that you can expect for it to take longer than it should, leading to let downs. I don't think this is admitted as much as it should be and part of that is the ability to hide behind the fact that it's early access. To me, that has always been a defense that should be used selectively. EVERY job has some form of accountability, certain standards that someone who is trying to accomplish something is held to. I can't for the life of me think of what standards these developers are held to. I don't think we should be the ones to determine that either, I think they should. But I don't see much that indicates they've done so. 

If you consider the timeline as some sort of standard then they're not meeting those standards. But it's not like they properly acknowledge that and even on here people bend reality to make it seem like they are, and then when that fails revert to the early access excuse as though no other job in the world could possibly get delayed like in game development (plenty could), and subsequently there shouldn't be any criticism (there should be). Now, if the new engine is implemented and we start seeing development expand by leaps and bounds then I think we can conclude that the development of the new engine was really the only significant issue which had a domino effect on other areas of development. But if the new engine is implemented over time and things are still massively delayed then I think we can conclude there were definitely not enough resources allocated/there was very poor planning for a game that sold millions of copies (not to mention the copies of ARMA II).

Anyways I'm still optimistic as always, but I think it would be good to address some of the realities of what's currently going on. DayZ is an interesting case study of the early access model and I think it has a lot to offer in analysis that can be applied to the future of that model in gaming. I'm not an expert in the area so I'm just sort of going off what I see and read from people on here and what the developers say. I honestly cannot say if the amount of delays and a roadmap being this far off track is normal for game development, but I would be VERY surprised if someone could look at me with a straight face and say everything is going according to plan.

By the way, $20 says we're leaping to .60

OR things that were originally planned for .60 are being moved to .59 (same thing??)

• Like 2

I don't understand the negativity which gets thrown at the developers.

We have no idea what happens behind the scenes at the moment. Maybe we will be blown away because of 0.59, maybe not.

Have we all forgotten why we always click on the "I understand" button? We should be grateful that we can be part of this alpha and that we can help the developers with their progress.

The developers are not obligated to inform the community, it's rather a nice bonus for us, but also a nice gesture from the developers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also anxious to play 0.59. However, in the meantime I'm playing other games and playing a bit DayZ in between.

In addition I really hope for a big surprise for 0.59.

sure, but why are permanent twitter posts that are only BS, i wrote the same weeks ago and i can´t get it.

brian has learned his lesson, he says "update when it´s done", eugen does not get it!

"exp. update this week"...3 weeks ago....there is no need to feed the hype train it´s shit to do that.

they should do their work and when it´s done, push an exp. update without weeks of false twitters.

no problem to live with no updates but i hate those twitter BS!

Not really false tweets when shit happens ( hardware failure, ddos crap ). I mean you expect to be on time every day for work .. but shit happens. Flat tire, accident, traffic. You don't wait until you actually get to work to tell your boss what's going on do you? I'm not sure why people are so caught up on what they are saying and what is actually going on. Be happy that they at least somewhat communicate what they can. These guys seem pretty accessible, answer questions, respond to comments etc.

Personally I've think they've done a good job. I don't need a weekly status report. As long as things are getting done, awesome. I've gotten my $34 worth so far and don't see the fun stopping anytime soon.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

I think as far as the early access model goes for any video game there's a lot to discuss as far as accountability. snip-

I've said it before....

Building this game seems like it's going very similar to building a house.

And anyone who has tried to rely on contractors for a deadline knows how that goes.... always add at least half as much time to the estimate given.

I do have similar hopes that we will skip 0.59 but somehow I doubt it.

DayZ is an interesting case study of the early access model and I think it has a lot to offer in analysis that can be applied to the future of that model in gaming.

Agreed. I only hope that it doesn't take until the conclusion of development to start learning lessons and applying them ;)

I didn't get around to reading the redit post about the blockers on the internal build of .59 before I ran my mouth making it a little easier to understand the delay. Only half apologetic though because it's beyond stupid having to find an obscure link to an external site to get information that SHOULD appear on their official message board first.  

• Like 2

I've said it before....

Building this game seems like it's going very similar to building a house.

And anyone who has tried to rely on contractors for a deadline knows how that goes.... always add at least half as much time to the estimate given.

I do have similar hopes that we will skip 0.59 but somehow I doubt it.

The difference is you have someone to answer to in that scenario and your excuse can't be "Building a house takes time." Deadlines are meant to keep you in check and when you fall out of step, you have those standards to bring you back. You also make adjustments to your plan and deadlines based on the problems you experience. Have we seen an acknowledgement that the road map is way off? I think Hicks said recently it's maybe a month or two delayed. He didn't say that exactly but he said the beta could be moved back a month or two. That sounds conservative to me, I wish he'd explain that more in detail. Every significant delay should be explained. I really don't understand what the difficulty in doing that is. We're all sitting here guessing at what's causing the delay and for some reason it can't be tweeted. "After hardware failure delay we decided there was an opportunity to add more to the patch before release." Simple. Not that that's the answer but it can be stated generally and expanded on as necessary. Does it really need to wait to show up in the next (delayed) weekly status report?

Also, if every area of your house was delayed separately and time was never made up I think you'd have some serious questions. And if it was bad enough you'd do a lot to receive some sort of compensation from the contractor, or the contractor would get a bad reputation and have difficulty finding work again. Not saying DayZ is anywhere near that level, but in the house example it can get to that point because you can have expectations. I think the same should go for early access. There need to be some standards alongside the expectation of delays. I used to have zero issues with delays but you can basically tack on weeks or months to anything promised now. It has become a rule and now I'm lost as to what the expectations actually are for the development timeline of the game. I'm basically laughed at for defending DayZ development to friends who used to play it.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies

I didn't get around to reading the redit post about the blockers on the internal build of .59 before I ran my mouth making it a little easier to understand the delay. Only half apologetic though because it's beyond stupid having to find an obscure link to an external site to get information that SHOULD appear on their official message board first.  

Haven't even seen anything on reddit but I agree. I used twitter as an example in my post but probably the most appropriate place to post anything is here.

EDIT: Found the reddit post about the blockers. Not sure why those problems weren't problems the week they said they were going to release the patch but it's good they have them:

1. Memory crash (client crashes about hour of running)
  2. Couple client crashes with no solid repro
  3. Invisible crew for cars (due to refactor of certain optimizations)
  4. Swap item duplication (due to same reasons)
  5. Issues with binarization of data for map because of changes made to support increase number of objects on the map 2million - 8million.
Edited by AnarchyBrownies