kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

This is what I'm hoping for. Spawning of everything randomly around the map makes for a much more interesting and keeps the game balanced. Which is why I've never been concerned about rare this or rare that. No one play style has an upper hand when things spawn randomly around the map.

I wish they could somewhat randomise deer/hunting stands a bit too especially since they currently are a bit of a goldmine i.e. the only place to find hunting scopes.

I was not a massive fan of the new inventory. The way it interrupted running for example...

That is a confirmed bug. Not supposed to make you stop.

I wish they could somewhat randomise deer/hunting stands a bit too especially since they currently are a bit of a goldmine i.e. the only place to find hunting scopes.

Matches what looting's like everywhere else...

It will be interesting to see what it is like when I get off the coast, because so far from my experience it has been gone through by a hoard of locusts with every where looted. I haven't found much so far.  To used to stable .57 lol  :) . I don't mind this, but haven't found a good weapon to take on zeds if required and I'm not on about a firearm. So I would not like to be playing this with more zeds around. They respawn quickly, but the loot does not from what I can tell.  This is just meant as an observation and not a criticism.

Agreed. The new inventory is a bit clunky, but I do believe that it has the potential to eventually be a good addition.

My initial impression was that it wasn't intuitive and that it was going to cause me to get killed. It's functionality is definitely different than the old inventory and I suppose that we'll just have to get used to it.

I'm OK with the character stopping when accessing the inventory, but it would be nice to have some accompanying animations of the character dropping the backpack on the ground and then kneeling in front of it. This animation could also be continued over on the inventory screen, itself (idle animation). The downside is that this functionality will significantly nerf looting in the dark. A flashlight will become a necessity. I'll be mapping the flashlight on/off toggle to a mouse button, since using the scroll menu will be too tedious for frequent use. Using a chemlight, or a road flare is just too dangerous, as it can be seen seen from too far away. 

The inventory is fiddly to manipulate because it is small and your mousing has to be precise. I kept closing things, instead of opening them, for example. Personally, I'd like to have the ability to configure the default inventory view. Perhaps we could have some radio buttons for: all containers (clothing) open, all containers closed, or all containers revert to last view?

A long run gets boring after a while, so being able to hit "P" periodically for a distraction would be nice, without causing the character to stop in his/her tracks. Hopefully the current functionality will change.

The current, unassisted "eyeball zoom" is WAAAY over the top. It almost makes it unnecessary to carry binoculars.

I would love a backpack animation.

• Like 3

Hicks said that it was just a coincidence, but everyone (including me) has noticed that there are some pretty significant performance gains when using the -newui launch parameter. It'd be nice to hear more on this subject.

I wish it worked for me just CTDs everytime I try it.

• Like 1

I wish it worked for me just CTDs everytime I try it.

Same here.

I can see activity in the bug tracker, so hopefully they'll have it sorted out soon. I'd like to have another crack at the new inventory screen, because I just don't have a warm and fuzzy with it yet and besides, who couldn't use another 10FPS, eh?

Current things we noticed as a a group of 4-6 running around from Berezino inland, North, and West.  I know a lot of these have been mentioned already, just bear with me.

-Matches are stackable now.  Medical supplies are, sadly, not stackable still.

-New fireplace and stove models.  Couldn't interact with them :/

-New damaged models on a few items it seems (epipens and steak knives)

-Front handguards are bugged and can't be removed, swapped, or painted.

-Both versions of V3S are bugged.  Engine has animations, but no sound or functionality.  Still a good source of storage.

-Tires despawn quickly

-RAIN!!

-New fog and lighting are interesting and beautiful, only the new lighting makes things really dark and can make you go blind very quickly if you look at a rising/setting sun or a campfire at night.

-3PP camera is amazing!  The shoulder shift is a great addition.

-FOV is pretty intense when zoomed or unzoomed all the way.  Maybe a bit far on the zoom, but a good iteration nonetheless.

-Persistence (NYESSSS)

-Guard house is lootless

-Deuce-and-a-half military trucks and HMMWVs are lootless.

-Lot of loot spawns in different places, but lootsplosions are still common.  Noticably in deer stands, police cars, gun houses, and barracks.  Some people pointed out specific buildings earlier like the barracks at N military base and the APC at NE airfield, which I confirmed are overflowing with loot.

-Weather seems REALLY hot.  Also overheating may be bugged.  Me and a buddy (him in raincoat and me in rider's jacket) ran around overheating for a few good hours with no ill effects.  No noticable increase in water consumption and no progression to hypothermic.

-New level of wet, "Drenched"

-Paper from nail boxes and ammo boxes

-Nails image in inventory is shifted to the left

-Still get an error from firing an Amphibia.  some recoil missing notice or something like that.

-Xbow kills in 1 hit.  Some guy opened up on us after three of us introduced ourselves as friendly.  His fully kitted AK was no match for my single bolt that pierced his anti-stab vest and instantly killed him.  No pulse, body warm.  One more bolt to the face for good measure.

-Zombies are often stuck in the world.  Seen one in Novo industrial section stuck in the roof-looking thing at the base of some foundations for the many pipes and such.  Another was stuck crawling under a park bench in front of the Svet church.

-We heard a new zombie idle sound.  Buddy described it as a low, hoarse growl.  It freaked him out and he killed it before the rest of us could hear it.

-Rags only with knives.  The beginner rag is now important!  I suggest making it into an armband since it wont break in the off-chance that your shirt gets ruined.

-Flare gun holster nerfed (¿¿POR QUE??)

-Batteries.  So many batteries.  You can call me king of the batteries.  If you don't find any n Southcentral 0-3, it's my fault.  I'm not sorry.  Batteries.

-Some of the animations looked a little cleaner.  Noticeably the zombie attack animations, the pistol carrying animation with the magnum, and some of the other use items.

-Some items block view in 1PP.  Burlap sack in the hand for instance will block your view with hand swing.  Friend said a purple polka-dot bandanna face mask blocked her view.  Different polka-dot bandanna didn't affect other player.

-New crosshairs are... interesting.  Seem to differ slightly based on what you are using.

-Pots and Frying pans are bugged.  Act like canteens it seems.  Drop on ground or put in hands to view inventory.

-Attempted to view inventory of pan and lost my vicinity window.  It completely dissappeared

-Nice framerate boost.  ~10 frames seems to be the average boost.

-Some items spawn in floors or halfway in floors.  Noticable in police stations and most everywhere else

-Pants-in-pants-in-pants is still there

-Containers (medkit, ammo box, protector case, etc) still take up same amount as they hold

-Water containers and ammo stacks don't immediately register changes in contents or count when changed.

-Drop magazines when reloading if there isn't a pre-existing space before reloading, not counting the fresh magazine going into the weapon

-Vision turns blurry after a gunshot wound and stays blurry long after it should go away.

-Buddy had the login bug in fullscreen where he had a solid red (and green on another instance) screen.  Going to configure>Video fixes it just like the old blurry cure.

-Spagettification (stretching) of sliding dead bodies.

-Occasionally couldn't search inventory of a body that slid

-Dropped items appear in odd places.  Often behind the player or in different rooms or outside when dropped in some buildings

-Thrown weapons with minimum throw power or when thrown at another player can freeze in the air

-Some animations that you can do while holding a weapon unequip or drop the weapon

-Still get the bug where you can't equip anything when you use a ladder, swim, use a car, or a few other things when you are holding anything.  Relog fixes.  Also makes it so dropped items can't be picked up.

-Still jerks in experimental.

-Visual duping is rampant.  Not double-clicking on an item and either dragging it into your inventory or rightclick>take seem to mitigate the risk, but not entirely

-Worn shirts sometimes appear in the worn model form floating in the ground when a player equips them.

-Some ammo and food (to name a few) can't be picked up, but can be eaten, drank, or split

-Sporter w/ Hunting Scope is still amazing.  Please boost.

-Seem to get the same spawn repeatedly.  One player got it twice in a row, one player got it four times in a row.  May have to do with dying shortly after spawning.  Perhaps something to do with how the RNG functions?  Spawns seem somehow weighted towards Berezino.

-Error from (I think) medical pants texture still.  Get it often when entering a town first time after logging in.

-Still no barrels :/

-Animals are in, but really rare it seems.  I didn't see any, but friend saw a couple cows down South.  Might have heard a chicken once.

-Zombies are still sparse.  They are there, but a lot of towns are empty and some towns only have a half-dozen max.

-Didn't mess with landmines or bear traps, but crafted a tripwire.  Can't break it down.  It becomes impossible to do anything other than view in your inventory.  If you drop the clothing/bag that it is in then you can remove it.  Can't put in hands, either.

-Still can't fix vests, cowboy hats, armbands, raincoats, some shoes.

-Random broken legs in police station

-Had to raise fists/weapon to go up ladder in firestation

-Crossbow makes no sound for anyone nearby.  Crossbows are the ultimate in stealth technology.  Bolt impacts on players/zombies make no noise either.

-Often can't hear gunshots even when close.

-Gas canisters in a fireplace still don't explode.  Boo.

-Seems like most .57 bugs are still present.  No new items noticeable.

-Couldn't wring out clothing, even after dropping.

-Didn't find any car batteries or glow plus :/

-When you drop a weapon from your hands it sometimes makes you do the reload animation (i.e. Blaze, MP133 pistol grip, ETC.)

-Can't detatch batteries from MRDS sight (FNX optic)

-Guns possibly spawn with attachments.  SKS found on top of lockers in barracks with damaged PU scope

-Spawn counter can tick off from 70 seconds

I'll add to the list in quotes as I encounter more.  I know there was more that we noticed but most of my group is offline currently so it's just me and one guy compiling this list as of now.  We didn't go to heli crash sites or anything like that.  Did go to the far North convoy.  Empty.  Also, I don't know how to do a spoiler tag on this forum, so sorry :/

Several additions to the list now.  More rolling in.

• Like 4

The current, unassisted "eyeball zoom" is WAAAY over the top. It almost makes it unnecessary to carry binoculars.

It was thoroughly explained why it "zooms". You have to stop thinking of it as zoom, what's really happening is you are playing zoomed OUT by default for the extra peripheral vision and hold right mouse returns it to the default "1x magnification". Binoculars shouldn't be necessary to see things within a couple hundred meters.

• Like 5

Several additions to the list now.  More rolling in.

Are these exclusively using newui? 

Are these exclusively using newui? 

Can't be, I'm not able to run -newui I have encountered many of the same things.

I was able to make a balaclava into a rag without using a knife.  First thing you should do now anyway is dump the chemlite and find a rock to make a stone knife.  Berezino fire station was spawning some good stuff, including combat knives when I got in yesterday.  Seems to be the only fire station really worth a shit now, isn't that a little odd?

Established camps in the NE and in the NW, pretty well stocked at both sites.  Now going to try and set one up in the south/central portion of the map, that is the tricky one, too much people traffic..  I don't much like people.  Should be the most fun though since I am sort of bored at this point.  I haven't seen any people at all, only zeds here and there.  I have seen signs of people though, rifles laying oddly or melee weapons out of place (standing up), loaded pistols, etc...

• Like 1

It was thoroughly explained why it "zooms". You have to stop thinking of it as zoom, what's really happening is you are playing zoomed OUT by default for the extra peripheral vision and hold right mouse returns it to the default "1x magnification". Binoculars shouldn't be necessary to see things within a couple hundred meters.

You are right and now that I understand we are zoomed out by default I can judge distance far better BUT if it's counter-intuitive and needs repeated explanation then maybe it's not the best design choice. When I said, 'I don't know why we need to zoom at all' (paraphrased) in your recent vision nerfed thread lots of people agreed. People with loads of hours. There's obviously a disconnect there. Most people don't know you zoom in to 100% and are zoomed out by default. I'd love to try a version where we are at 100% but able to zoom out just to see what it's like.

I had a Trumpet, loaded it with ammo, disassembled it and put it in my backpack. When I assembled it again it was unloaded and the ammo was not in my inventory. I don't know if this is the same in 57.

Been thinking about this "Tear into rags" that requires you to use a sharp object.

How about 2 different ways.

Tear into Rags without the use of tools yields damaged/badly damaged rags, with rare posibility of worn but never pristine.

And with use of tools it will yield pristine down to damaged, depending on the condition of the object used.

That way when using a damaged or lower quality version, then you risk higher the chances of getting infected.

And of course using medical alcohol will cleanse the rags before use, lowering the risk.

Same should be introduced with sewing kits(both leather and cloth) when using the option to stitch yourself up.

Using alcohol to clean the kits before using lowers the risk. Using unclean kits will yield higher risk of infection.

What do you guys think?
This is somewhat deeper into later gameplay in the coming months, but the first adress in this post is directly tied to the current version of "tear into rags".

• Like 5

Been thinking about this "Tear into rags" that requires you to use a sharp object.

How about 2 different ways.

Tear into Rags without the use of tools yields damaged/badly damaged rags, with rare posibility of worn but never pristine.

And with use of tools it will yield pristine down to damaged, depending on the condition of the object used.

That way when using a damaged or lower quality version, then you risk higher the chances of getting infected.

And of course using medical alcohol will cleanse the rags before use, lowering the risk.

Same should be introduced with sewing kits(both leather and cloth) when using the option to stitch yourself up.

Using alcohol to clean the kits before using lowers the risk. Using unclean kits will yield higher risk of infection.

What do you guys think?

This is somewhat deeper into later gameplay in the coming months, but the first adress in this post is directly tied to the current version of "tear into rags".

Like the idea about the rags, makes sense to me.

How about if devs introduce infection or gangrene if you don't change bandages every day? That way people would really avoid getting hit at all costs.

How about if devs introduce infection or gangrene if you don't change bandages every day? That way people would really avoid getting hit at all costs.

Nah, just hide  in a corner, suicide, respawn, and pick up your stuff.

First life must have some value.

So if I remember correctly, the main idea of the new 3PS camera was to reduce ability to sneak peek behind corners and walls. So, how is THIS in any way supposed to disallow such opportunity?)

kRHVImWm.jpg  X4LSGTnm.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I actually loved that from-the-shoulder camera. It gave DayZ some sort of "finished game" touch. With HeadBob parameter at ~20% it now looks even more awesome. But if you were trying to prevent players to look behind the corners with that new cam, you totally failed.

• Like 1

So if I remember correctly, the main idea of the new 3PS camera was to reduce ability to sneak peek behind corners and walls. So, how is THIS in any way supposed to disallow such opportunity?)

kRHVImWm.jpg  X4LSGTnm.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I actually loved that from-the-shoulder camera. It gave DayZ some sort of "finished game" touch. With HeadBob parameter at ~20% it now looks even more awesome. But if you were trying to prevent players to look behind the corners with that new cam, you totally failed.

The new camera in 0.58 is one of the first iterations. Don't forget that.

When we saw it during 56/57 it was even allowing you to look over walls. Now it doesn't as it zooms into the back of your head when you try to look over.

There will be many more iterations of it, and the tech/programming behind reducing wallpeaking has to be done correctly before it's implemented.

And the logic behind it must be thoroughly tested. Let's wait for next iteration to see what's coming.

• Like 2

Broke my legs going up a few stairs. Unable to craft splints, only fireplace/torch option available. New UI looks pretty bad, can't see what an item is, and it is very hard to equip/holster items.

Zombies hit through walls, still, and appear to be ignoring locked doors/solid walls. Rubberbanding is also back. Killing myself with a can opener, I had no option to respawn.

Edited by Santa fox
  • Like 1

Be careful if you take off your pants to wring them out, mine disappeared in thin air.

• Like 2

Broke my legs going up a few stairs. Unable to craft splints, only fireplace/torch option available. New UI looks pretty bad, can't see what an item is, and it is very hard to equip/holster items.

Zombies hit through walls, still, and appear to be ignoring locked doors/solid walls. Rubberbanding is also back. Killing myself with a can opener, I had no option to respawn.

Experimental....

Experimental....

I haven't stated anything else, merely stating the bugs and problems I have found so far.

Be careful if you take off your pants to wring them out, mine disappeared in thin air.

This happened to me a dozen times in .57 too, but always indoors.  

You could sometimes find the dropped clothing or backpack on the other side of the wall or just outside the building if you snooped around long enough.  

I've since taken to only dropping things of importance out in the open, preferably on a road or an open area outdoors.

• Like 1

Fresh activity in the Steam DB. Possible new build inbound.

EDIT: Even more activity - it looks like they are working hard to find something suitable to push out to Steam.

Edited by BleedoutBill
  • Like 5