boneboys

Exp Update: 0.57128035*

I've been a freshspawn twice today and haven't starved once, one time even involved a swim from Skalisty island before eating anything. So is this just affecting some people? If so, how did he test it?

By spawning and then immediately sprinting (jogging) in a straight line without stopping for anything, and by standing idle immediately after spawning.

This was on UK 5-1 1pp, I believe.

• Like 1

I ate 1 apple and was neutral hunger/thirst for an hour... UK5 3pp server

Hmm.. Could it be they reduced starting energy/hydration numbers to something like 500/500 or increased the rate of their decay?.. Because he didn't eat anything, and if the starting numbers are that low, even one apple could make a difference?

Either way, something's quite wrong here.

I ran far further than the video without starving on uk servers today. I pretty much always run not jog or walk.

Edited by freethink

Folks I have to heavily discourage you from getting the pitchforks out re: Experimental branch. 

• The branch is labeled unstable, this is for a reason
  • We *frequently* update / change / alter configurations on this branch and they can vary per server
  • As the name suggests, this branch is for the developers to experiment, thus the above remark
  • Like 9

Folks I have to heavily discourage you from getting the pitchforks out re: Experimental branch. 

• We *frequently* update / change / alter configurations on this branch and they can vary per server
  • As the name suggests, this branch is for the developers to experiment, thus the above remark

I don't think we are, in the main. We expect stuff to go badly wrong. We opted in to this shit:D Glad to see you on the thread btw.

Loot spawns are starting to look interesting as well.. Found a box of vitamins, water bottle, tape and a magnum in a box inside a guard hut today. Love that! Mixed items in a box in an area that makes sense to have that stuff there (NEAF)

The ones with the pitchforks are the same group that hop over to exp on update day, scream "broken", then wander back to stable while the rest of us happily play around.

Sorry about that, I didn't know that configuration in Exp was per-server.

No pitchforks here, just some mild frustration.

It would be helpful to have some actual tangible Artifacts so that the more prepared experimental branch users/testers with background in QA would have a better idea of what is a a byproduct of intentional change and what is actually a defect. Instead of feeling like rats in a maze and reporting everything that seems out of place - which may or may not be an actual defect.

Switch servers or at least, relog.  should help.

Had already tried relogging and restarting the game, I forgot to say that. Eventually I got a spawn that seemed fairly normal in terms of starvation, and luckily the location (South Berezino) brought enough canned food for my lazy night to continue. I got to Gorka for the first time since it got a rework - I can confirm it is now a deeply sexual town.

Interesting to see other people experiencing the contrasts in starvation times when freshspawning. The last of my quick-to-starve lives also saw a rapid rise in thirst also. I thought I was bugging out repeatedly as the time I had to survive seemed to be halving upon each life, so it was a bit frustrating at the time. Looking back, it'd be interesting to see every freshspawn character have different thresholds and tendencies with health, nutrition etc.

Edited by cupboard

Sorry about that, I didn't know that configuration in Exp was per-server.

No pitchforks here, just some mild frustration.

It would be helpful to have some actual tangible Artifacts so that the more prepared experimental branch users/testers with background in QA would have a better idea of what is a a byproduct of intentional change and what is actually a defect. Instead of feeling like rats in a maze and reporting everything that seems out of place - which may or may not be an actual defect.

Unfortunately thats not really practical. There is too much going on for us to keep everyone in the loop like that - constantly. Broader scope things can be communicated, but there could be as many as 20+ configuration changes on experimental in a given business day. Not counting the weekends that some of us frequently end up working. We'll make rapid iterative changes, observe the data, swap configuration, and try again - all in the span of minutes sometimes.

I got to Gorka for the first time since it got a rework - I can confirm it is now a deeply sexual town.

This brought a smile, and a laugh.

• Like 8

Unfortunately thats not really practical. There is too much going on for us to keep everyone in the loop like that - constantly. Broader scope things can be communicated, but there could be as many as 20+ configuration changes on experimental in a given business day. Not counting the weekends that some of us frequently end up working. We'll make rapid iterative changes, observe the data, swap configuration, and try again - all in the span of minutes sometimes.

Understood.

I was going to suggest a live Trello board with brief work item dumps and comment feedback for a more intimate dev-tester interaction, but with a change scope of minutes this is not very practical indeed. Could be worth revisiting in Beta.

Thanks for the clarification, however.  :thumbsup:

Oy! After a hard day of physical labor I jumped right back in. It's weird, but while I didn't have any trouble with decaying of hunger / thirst, this time it surely got me. I tried living of apples, went to Solnichny, opened up a shed by the quarry to find two Zeds inside. Holy crap did I jump! Somehow I managed to close the door but my heart was thudding too much so I quit for a few minutes to see what's happening here.

Smaller Clothesplosions in smaller buildings, again I found a press vest where no one would ever think to search for one, but food, inland and by the coast, is really, really rare. Right now I don't know if I should just quit for tonight or just go running on 3rd person.

I also can confirm that Persistence is definitely disabled, lost my tent with some of my stuff and my precious bag of Drakon Premium ^^

Were berries nerfed?  I am eating them but starving to death anyway...

Understood.

I was going to suggest a live Trello board with brief work item dumps and comment feedback for a more intimate dev-tester interaction, but with a change scope of minutes this is not very practical indeed. Could be worth revisiting in Beta.

Thanks for the clarification, however.  :thumbsup:

The Dev Hub does have a Trello board used to display upcoming content and such.

Were berries nerfed?  I am eating them but starving to death anyway...

Not sure but apples are op at the moment

Not sure but apples are op at the moment

Apples are crazy right now. In hyper-starvation world I'm surviving on heavy apple diet. If I stop eating, I'd probably die within 10 minutes. This has been a crazy challenge.

Oh!  I think players are mostly unaware that configurations vary per server.  I only realized that today, in fact.  

Besides just playing so that you can observe stress testing/other data, how can we best serve you guys on the experimental branch?  Which reported bugs are the most useful to you?  What is just noise?  Is this a question you can give us an answer to?  

I don't mind dying over and over and succumbing to bugs in the name of science!  I don't mind going unconscious within two minutes and thirty seconds from hunger, but I'd rather not try to report issues that are intended.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

Oh!  I think players are mostly unaware that configurations vary per server.  I only realized that today, in fact.

Besides just playing so that you can observe stress testing/other data, how can we best serve you guys on the experimental branch?  Which reported bugs are the most useful to you?  What is just noise?  Is this a question you can give us an answer to?  

I don't mind dying over and over and succumbing to bugs in the name of science!  

Client crashes (with associated mini dumps and RPT logs), issues preventing gameplay entirely (graphical corruption, etc), major gameplay issues (such as in here the rapid starvation posts), stuff like that.

Obviously the first thing we see on our end is profiling and tracking server performance, server stability, and so on.

Apples are crazy right now. In hyper-starvation world I'm surviving on heavy apple diet. If I stop eating, I'd probably die within 10 minutes. This has been a crazy challenge.

It wasn't like that for me at all. I did need to eat 6 apples or so but once I got over the hump I was fine

It wasn't like that for me at all. I did need to eat 6 apples or so but once I got over the hump I was fine

You guys could've been on different configurations, depending on what times you were playing.

Dam, many versions of experimental? You just made this sound even more fun!

Too bad I'm watching kids friends during sleep over! Need to get on, had a rough go on central earlier.

It wasn't like that for me either when I was playing earlier. Then I died and entered rapid starvation land.

• Like 1

You guys could've been on different configurations, depending on what times you were playing.

I played around 6:45pm* gmt on a uk server for about an hour.

*or whatever time it was arsenal went 2-0 up in the cup final

I played when the servers were first online and ran a decent distance without starving too

Edited by freethink

I played around 6:45pm* gmt on a uk server for about an hour.

*or whatever time it was arsenal went 2-0 up in the cup final

I played when the servers were first online and ran a decent distance without starving too

For reals though, stuff like this is great data for the feedback tracker. <3

Im sure the Test Lead will love to see detailed bug reports on Monday morning.

• Like 1